3 Ways to Go From Curly to Straight With No Heat

Avatar • Dec 25, 2013

AuCurlsNaturelle

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Who says you need a flat iron to achieve a sleek, straight look on natural hair?  Check out these three heatless methods for going from curly to straight:

1. Roller Set then Wrap

For this method, you will need rollers, a brush, bobby pins, satin scarf, and a serum – but no heat tools whatsoever.  Check out the tutorial for more details on achieving this super sleek look!

2. Banding then Roller Set

Now, this tutorial may be useful for those who need to stretch their natural curls prior to roller setting and wrapping.  You will need several hair ties (for banding) and rollers (for setting).

3. Curlformers then Wrap

This tutorial is similar to the first one but Curlformers are used in place of the rollers.  This method is ideal for those who are not comfortable with or skilled at roller setting.

Ladies, will you try any of these alternatives to straightening with heat?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Laura Truesdale

I was so inspired.…no heat and nice curl revert…I loved CurlyFarah’s vid a lot

Trini
Trini

Love #1. I’ll try the technique and incorporate a serum. In the past I’ve used setting lotion but that has been hit or miss.

Ugonna Wosu

so #1‘(who I follow on youtube) is saying she needed to rollerset her hair first, in order to loosen her curls before doing the wrap thing?

Ray
Ray
Reply to  Chinwe

Yes the object is to smooth our you curl pattern, she just used rollers. I have tried her method but with irod and larger rollers and can tell you the rollers she used probably would work much better, the smoother you can get your hair to wrap around a roller, expecially your ends, the better. You want to avoid puffy hair, whihc is what I had even though my curl pattern was smoothed out but it was so har to wrap. Plus my hair is much denser than hers. But brushing my ends out after a roller set and curlformers… Read more »

iluvedges
iluvedges

sorry, no

Reply to  iluvedges

no” what?

True2U
True2U
Reply to  iluvedges

And NO is correct, Not one of these will work on my 4C hair. Maybe if I blow dry my hair and THEN, use curlformers, but that might fail as well. Another thing, the women in this video has a looser type curls.

Say it!
Say it!
Reply to  True2U

I think this is for looser hair types. I notice that most of the hairstyle posts by this poster would be better suited to looser hair types. Maybe BGLH can get someone else to cater to 4b and c hair needs. I think even 4as can follow this. I just feel like we are becoming the forgotten readers around here.

Valerie
Valerie
Reply to  Chinwe

Like times 10000

Aiych
Aiych
Reply to  Chinwe

I’ve tried roller setting on 4b hair and it is effective for stretching. My hair doesn’t become silky smooth but it is significantly stretched. With wrapping afterwards you could probably achieve results very similar to a blowout or flat ironing with light heat. Don’t knock it til you try it

iluvedges
iluvedges
Reply to  Chinwe

allrighty then…

Say it!
Say it!
Reply to  Chinwe

Many of these are not hair styles. I’ve been following this blog since the old format, since before you were a poster. You’re not schooling me. I just noticed that many of your posts would be suited to looser hair and asked that we get someone as dedicated to finding hair styles that will work on tighter textures. It wasn’t an insult. I’m sure you are helping those with looser curled hair to achieve 3–6 easy, cute styles.

Reply to  True2U

wellm maybe you can try to come up with a heatless method for stretching your type of hair, and then come back to us. Not being sarcastic at all. I think many here would appreciate your findings.

Say it!
Say it!
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

Sigh so transparent!

Kay
Kay
Reply to  True2U

Don’t knock it till you try it. I’ve gotten my hair fairly straight with curlformers as a stretching method and I have 4C hair as well.

HeyThere
HeyThere
Reply to  Kay

Well i can safely say I’ve tried all these methods in the past (I’ve been heat free for nearly 4 years) and not ONE of them have successfully straightened my 4B curls. Stretch? Maybe. But imho, simply stretching and actually straightening the hair are two different things. These methods are wonderful, but they’re also most successful on looser curls.…That’s just the truth. For my hair to actually get *straight* using these methods, I still need a miracle and a tourmaline flat iron.

HeyThere
HeyThere
Reply to  HeyThere

I should also note that I do have more than one curl pattern on my head. In the front, where my head is more 3c/4a, the methods WORKED. In the back, which is predominantly 4b, this things were a huge fail.

True2U
True2U
Reply to  True2U

LOL!!!! I know my hair. After 4 years of trying everything!! And I mean EVERYTHING, I’ve learned what works for looser type curls will NOT work for me. I’m done with trying something new, unless it’s someone with my exact curl type, and I’m talking about 4C (P.S the one with the dirty dusty color *I do love my hair by the way, just wanted to give a visual lol*) Sometimes what work for theirs won’t work for mines, but that makes the fail a bit bearable. I’ve worked with hair from straight to 4C and I can honestly say… Read more »

Belle
Belle
Reply to  iluvedges

Have you tried all 3 before you concluded it is not for 4 type hair? You may not get the exact same results but it is better than risking heat damage if you want to rock straight hair once in a while. Which is why I guess we all clicked on this article. I have a crazy mix of hair types, 3b in the back, 4b in the crown and 4c in the sides, plus some 4a types in some areas. African threading and curlformers help to give me a straightened look when I desire to rock it.

Ugonna Wosu

all three are fabulous methods that I can’t wait to try! I saved them all as “likes” on my youtube channel.

Caresscurls
Caresscurls

I am so inspired to try this. I will probably try the 1st and 2nd method. My mom has been hinting that I should straighten my hair to see the length and I didn’t want to undo 10 months of transitioning with heat damage. I love this post. Will it work on a fexirod set?

kris

Have been wanting to straighten for a while but haven’t bc I’ve been afraid of getting more heat damage. I like the 1st option. Now lets hope this method works for my hair.

Regular
Regular

Will #1 work on 4b/c hair cause her hair is loose?

Hansy
Hansy

Exactly what I needed. I’ve been dying to straighten my hair to see the length but I am so afraid of heat damage since my hair is very sensitive to heat. Thanks!

Tiff
Tiff

Is this more-so for people with type 3 hair?

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Tiff

I have mostly-4b hair and both rollersetting and banding get my hair pretty straight. I haven’t tried wrapping afterwards but that’s only because I’ve never been really good at wrapping. Been practicing though… 🙂

The key for both is to make sure the hair is as detangled as possible. For rollersetting, find the largest roller you can that you can wrap your hair around at least once completely. Don’t make the sections too big, and ideally the hair should be wet. Also (and this goes without saying) don’t take the rollers out until the hair is completely dry.

lahblooplah
lahblooplah

oooh no heat!! sweet. I had blow dried my hair and started to straighten my bangs, I think i straightened a few strands before I got bored. I’m not that crazy about straight hair, obviously. And I thought it was not worth the risk. But if I can do it this way, then freaking yeah! I’d probably jus straighten it just to wear it in a ponytail, So that it could be smoother and a longer lasting hairstyle. However, I wonder if this is probable with shorter hair?

Belle
Belle

Thanks for the article. I am planning on going heat free in 2014. So all 3 of these tutorials have been very helpful for me. I will try all 3 methods. I already have using curlformers down, I did my first African threading last week with great success, I haven’t tried roller setting in years but I’ll give it a go. As an African who knew nothing about doing my own hair or anyone’s hair, until I returned to my natural hair and wanted to make sure it was well taken care of, I really appreciate such articles and all… Read more »

Marta Daniels

Banding is the best! It is the only way to eliminate shrinkage in my opinion.

taj
taj

Really cool tutorial. Love the results!

ladyluo
ladyluo

It seems all roads lead back to straightened hair…lol…

Miss T
Miss T
Reply to  ladyluo

But that’s the beauty of black hair, our hair can do and look like any texture we choose. I think its amazing that my hair can shrink up to my ears but can be stretched down my back 🙂

Reply to  ladyluo

I don’t necessarily want straight hair, but its nice to know safe alternatives if i ever want a different look sometimes.

Kita

I definitely like the 1st one and, if done correctly, I think all hair types can achieve this look. I wish the type 4s would stop hair discriminating. It may take more work, you may have more rollers in your head, but its achievable bc I work with a 4b/c who does it quite successfully. As a multi-textured gal (3c/4a/4b) I am rather curious to see how this works. From the look of it my hair is way more dense than hers so I know I need more rollers lol Also, do you have to use those particular comb rollers… Read more »

Say it!
Say it!
Reply to  Kita

It’s not discriminating and it’s not ridiculous to give other 4b/cs the heads up on the fact that our hair requires different methods to achieve certain styles and looks. If we all had the same kind of hair with the same type of versatility and styling capabilities, no one would be following hair typing. I remember an aha moment while watching Jouelzy where she said explicitly to 4b/c “stop trying to style your hair on wet hair” that’s just one of he many differences between many 4b/c and people with 4a and 3 type hair. It’s not a sin to… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  Say it!

Say it I get where you are coming from. But you have to understand that not all type 4 hair reacts the same due to density or how thick or thin the texture is. It is a fact that fine hair no matter the curl/coil pattern stretches and straightens better with light effort. All the ladies in the videos have fine textured hair. Those with thicker hair may not see similar results. I think its not the texture that’s coming to play here but the fact that all have fine hair. Maybe someone with thicker hair can confirm this.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  JENNID

I believe that even if you have thicker strands, using smaller sections and rollers that are large enough to get the job done (per my post above) could give similar results. Also per my original post, let me be clear: I have fine strands and the straight I get from these methods is definitely not the same straight I’d get from a flat iron. Given that I haven’t flat-ironed my hair in 10 years, my definition of “straight” probably isn’t the same as most people’s. 🙂 I saw that Jouelzy video too and while I completely understand her (and Say It’s)… Read more »

Reply to  LBell

I agree with Jennid. In this very thread there are 4bs and 4cs saying these above methods would work for them. Its not all about curl type.

Jesse
Jesse
Reply to  JENNID

Hey JenniD, I think the difference you are pointing out is dense hair versus less dense hair? People interchange strand diameter with hair density all the time, but it can actually be confusing to some people. For instance, I have a ton of hair. Some people would say I have thick hair. Really, I have fine hair strands. I’m just hairy lol!! I recently got my hair professionally blown out for the first time since being natural. I knew my hair was fine, but that blowout really taught me how fine my strands are; it’s the reason why all along… Read more »

Reply to  Jesse

Your vocabulary is a little mixed up, imo. Texture, which many mistake for curl pattern, is actually about thickness/diameter. So coarse hair vs fine hair is actually texture. Curl pattern is curl pattern.

I also think these styles are much more about texture than curl pattern. Coarse hair is well known as the most difficult to get into a style. Even with straight haired white women.

Say it!
Say it!
Reply to  JENNID

I have fine hair. It doesn’t straighten easily. I’ve used curlers and curlformers. African threading stretches my hair but not to what is considered straight as in the above videos. I understand that not all 4b/cs have a texture or coil that prevents them from doing these styles but I do think it’s true that many 4as etc can do these styles(I’ve seen Nap85 do it) many more than those with 4b/c hair. I think blakizbeautiful(sp?) is a classic case of a 4b who can do these styles precisely due to her texture. I don’t doubt that there are some… Read more »

Reply to  Say it!

these women are simply showing you what worked for them. All of us should already know by now that we don’t know if it will work for us until we try it. At least give something a go, and move on if it didn’t work. There’s no hard and fast rule with hair, as each individual head will respond differently to different things. My hair is different from these ladies as well, but I’m excited to try something new, with my own modifications, as inspired by their methods.

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  Say it!

Say it if it sounds like you know your hair. That’s a good thing. And though I may disagree I appreciate you keeping it real. Its always good to hear both sides of things instead of saying something is or isn’t for every one. You also bring up a very good point that sometimes its best to just go with what you KNOW will work versus experimenting when you don’t have the time. Especially for work. I’ve been there and it sucks lol. Nothing wrong with experimenting but know your hair and know your schedule.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Say it!

I’m not sure we can say that the YouTubers are all students and/or unemployed, but that’s another topic for another day. I agree with the rest of what you’ve said, though. It reminded me that the first year of my being natural was also the year when I was highest-up on corporate America’s ladder, and I kept my hair short and (fairly) conservative. I got off that ladder by choice though; if I were still on it it’s likely I might have stayed in that hair lane more regularly. One more comment and then I’m out: Back in the early 2000s… Read more »

WhyMe?
WhyMe?
Reply to  Kita

now what? how are type 4c textures being discriminating? give me a break

Elle
Elle

but would these methods work with 4c or 4b hair?

smile
smile

African threading works very well to stretch the hair.There are many tutorials on you tube.

JENNID
JENNID

Looks like most are starting out with wet hair. Ive had better success on my 4b/c hair when it was dry and fully detangled and prestreched from say a 3 day old braid out or twist out. I would use mist with some aloe juice and smooth down the hair shaft a bit then with a light hand apply some type of shea butter or castor oil for some extra weight. Then I would curl with some hard rollers.

Jo
Jo

I wish I knew how to wrap my hair.
o.O
Every time I try, it turns out to be a huge mess.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Jo

i don’t even try. i never did it when i was relaxed, and now that i’m a re-convert to flat ironing i still don’t bother. i could never get it to work.

Jesse
Jesse

I knew the “it doesn’t work on 4c hair” comment would come up. I agree with this so some extent. I regularly stretch my hair with curlformers and I always comb it out on the first or second day. My hair is one giant afro, but I want it like that. Unless there’s a way to wrap an afro, I don’t think you can get totally straight hair with curlformers and a wrap on 4c hair.

WhyMe?
WhyMe?
Reply to  Jesse

agree with you, you can’t and if people are saying you can well I have 5G hair, lol

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Jesse

Perhaps it would be better to say it doesn’t work on YOUR 4C HAIR! Hair is different and what may work for some, may not work for others.

Ugonna Wosu

hey 4bs and 4cs. What do you think of blowdrying on COOL, before either wrapping or rollersetting. Would a blowdryer be a more powerful, effective tool, while avoiding heat? Then you can finish it off with like a rollerset or a firm head wrap?

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

That would work, but for some of us blow dryers cause mechanical damage on our fine strands as well as potential heat damage. I have to limit my usage of blow dryers for that reason.

As a multitextured natural, I agree with others upthread who stated that this method will not deliver straight hair for those with tighter textures. I’ve only ever gotten a good stretch with a roller set. So what? Straight hair is a bit boring 🙂

Reply to  Dananana

if its on COOL, there shouldn’t be heat damage, but I see your point about mechanical damage.

Reply to  Dananana

I agree with you about straight hair being kind of boring. I get more life looking at Naptural85’s hair than at ULuvMegz(whom I love!)

Bridget
Bridget

I use flex rods on my wet hair a lot, and let it air dry. The only issue is my hair knot up after it dries and I take the rollers out.

TWA4now
TWA4now

I would love to try this! Sometimes, I desire straight hair even though I am super comfortable with my natural tresses!

Stephanie
Stephanie

I like these techniques and know they would work on my hair, but my question is about the dreaded humidity. What do people use to keep the hair from frizzing when the weather is humid? I live in Hamburg, Germany, which is rather rainy, and I would hate to go out in the a.m. with straight hair only to be rushing home in the evening like Cinderella before it totally frizzes to twice its volume.

trackback

[…] on whether 4c hair could be smoothly curled and wrapped to a straight/relatively straight style in this article by Chinwe, I have been hunting down the perfect video to showcase that it is indeed possible to […]

trackback

trackback

[…] 4c pourrait être facilement enroulé et emballé à un style linéaire / relativement simple dans cet article par Chinwe, j’ai été la chasse en bas de la vidéo parfaite pour mettre en valeur ce […]

jessybabe

My hair is too tightly coily. I do try banding, and my hair just ends up looking awkward. Someday I want to try curl formers, but they are just too expensive for me now at the moment

Nikke
Nikke
Reply to  jessybabe

You can get knock off Curlformers on Amazon for around $15. I just got a set and they done an amazing job!

trackback

[…] Vous pouvez voir plus de technique dans cet article de BGLH. […]

Amanda
Amanda

Ladies, my beautiful 10 year old Zambian daughter is adopted and she has very thick 4c hair. I am white with very straight white girl hair,:)so I had a LOT of learning to do over the years about her hair. I love the versatility and beauty of her natural hair and so does she. I have learned lots of different styles, and we have a good hair routine to keep her hair healthy, I think. Right now, her hair is at Arm Pit Length, but I feel like we are a little stuck there. I can’t see many split ends… Read more »

Natasha
Natasha
Reply to  Amanda

I have 4b/4c hair and I have problems with getting that “flowy” hair. To be honest, I think it’s quite common and I’m just as eager to hear the responses to this.

Shari J
Shari J
Reply to  Amanda

The only “flowy” hair I’ve seen has been with “Dominican blowouts”. The closest I’ve come to flowy hair has been on relaxed hair, when I would pincurl my nearly-dry rollerset hair and finish drying the curls under a hooded dryer for 15–20 mins. Alternatively, you could try blowdrying the dried set or following it up with a silk/(Saran) wrap instead. I used to set my hair with Infusium 23, a little conditioner, and only a tiny amount of setting lotion, if any. I have yet to try rollersetting my natural hair.

Trina
Trina
Reply to  Amanda

Take her to a Dominican hair salon and ask for a blow out. Make sure settings on blow dryer not too high so won’t get heat damage. Her hair will be flowy. Lmao

Robi
Robi

The wrapping method worked very well for me and Im a 4a in the back and 5z everywhere else. lol