6 Gorgeous and Easy Ways to Wear a Bun on Natural Hair

Avatar • Nov 8, 2013

naturallycurious1

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Who says buns have to be bland? Spice them up with these simple tutorials:

1. Elegant Criss-Cross Chignon (or Low Bun)

For this look, start with hair that is stretched via a twist-out or braid-out.  You will also need a few bobby pins and an ouchless band.  Check out the video to see how Naturally Curious actually achieves this style.

2. Three Twists and a Bun

Lovelyanneka never ceases to amaze me with her creative styling. You do not need a lot of length for this beautiful look nor do you actually need flat-twisting skills.  Watch the video to see what I mean …

3. Double-Twisted Bun with Pompadour

Now this bun can be considered as an alternative (or sister) to the one in number #2.  The major differences are that this one involves a donut (instead of Marley hair) and a pompadour.  Check out the video to see how ImmaDstarra achieves this style.

4. Front Donut Bun

If you are in love with the look of big high buns, then check out this slight variation.  You do not need hair down to your waist to create this look.  It can be done on medium-length hair and with the aid of a big donut for illusion.

5. Twisted Cinna-Bun

This bun is great for the natural who cannot quite get all her hair into one ponytail.  Additionally, the twists add a layer of elegance and protection over the usual cinna-bun.  Check out the tutorial to see Naprika creates this look.

6. Pinned Bun Variation

This is another tutorial that gives the illusion of a big bun.  All you will need are bobby pins, a ponytail hook (or alternatively, an ouchless band), … and a workable twist-out.  Watch how Ambrosia demonstrate how to effortlessly create this style.

Ladies, would you wear any of these styles?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Alisa
Alisa

The first one is my favorite!

MommieDearest
MommieDearest
Reply to  Alisa

Mine too! I will try this the next time I wash my hair.

Tabatha
Tabatha

I love buns, but right now my hair is too short.

TS
TS
Reply to  Tabatha

Me too, i hate this awkward phase

Charisse
Charisse

How do I make that sock?

Charisse
Charisse
Reply to  Chinwe

You’re the best!

Erica Anderson
Erica Anderson

I love buns can’t wait till my hair gets longer so I can have a mega bun!!!!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/image‑6.jpg[/img]

Rebecca
Rebecca

Hair must be nutured as well as the whole body. The more vitamins you eat, the healthier is your hair. There is a nice dietary supplement that contains basic compounds for enhancing hair growth and stopping hair loss — Hair Gain Formula by Military Grade. This product is the only nutraceutical which possesses PGD2 blocking properties. In my case effect is visible — much thicker hair and almost no seasonal hairloss.

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

One day I will wear these. I like the donut bun, The 3rd and 1st one. Thanks for keeping me updated. These are professional styles too.

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

I already wear the last one. But, I will try the first one.

Dova webb
Dova webb

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/image‑8.jpg[/img]

Kelly
Kelly

The only thing I would warn against with buns is to be mindful of your bangs and edges when you are making buns. Some naturals pull their hair back too tightly and have their bangs and edges seared or practically painted to their scalp so that their hair looks super-neat. Please refrain from doing that or only do it sometimes. Make sure cornrows and flat twists are not too tight. I speak from experience. I have spare bangs and thin edges on one side from years-long practices like that but the rest of my hair is full and BSL, in… Read more »

trackback

[…] is a continuation of the last styles post on “6 Gorgeous and Easy Ways to Wear a Bun on Natural Hair”.  Here are four more spins on the classic bun, including a style involving […]

trackback