6 Beautiful Ways to Style Natural Hair for Formal Events

Avatar • Nov 23, 2013

toni

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

Weddings.  Balls.  Galas.  Parties.  Whatever the formal event, it can sometimes be a challenge to find the perfect hairstyle.  Well, here are a few tutorials to give you some ideas:

1. Bantu Knot Out Updo

Toni demonstrates how you can achieve this beautiful hairdo for a school’s homecoming or other formal event.  It is essentially a super defined bantu knot out with the back pinned up via bobby pins.  Because this style is so versatile, it can work on short to long hair.

2. Perm Rod Set (also for kinky or coily hair)

Who says perm rod sets cannot work on kinky hair?  In the above video, Latifatumi shows you how to achieve gorgeous big curls on previously stretched hair.  Get your perm rods ready!

3. Sideswept Curly Twists

Nikkimae transforms a five-day old set of twists into an elegant sideswept curly look in this tutorial.  She achieves these curls with a set of flexi rods, bobby pins, and foam wrap or setting lotion.  For the actual tutorial on the flexi rod set itself, check out this video.

4. Curlformers (No Heat) Formal Updo

In the above video, India demonstrates how to achieve a curly formal updo using Curlformers.  She starts with damp hair and applies a setting lotion prior to applying the Curlformers.  Check out her tutorial for more details!

5. Elegant Textured Updo

For this style, Nyla K starts with a defined braid-out, but the style can work just as well on a twist-out or other textured hair.  All you need are a few bobby pins and jeweled accessory to add even more elegance to the look.

6. Flexi Rod Set (also for kinky or coily hair)

For this gorgeous rod set, Kinkycurlycoil starts with freshly washed hair that has been parted into sections.  She uses flexi rods, in particular, which can be an alternative to the perm rod set mentioned earlier.

Ladies, will you try any of these styles for your next formal event?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Hansy
Hansy

These styles are great but they only work for long hair. I attended wedding two weeks after doing the big chop (after a 10 month transition) and I came up with a very nice style that worked perfectly for my very short hair. I accessorized with real flowers from the garden. Everybody complimented me on my hair and I felt very beautiful.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Afro1.jpg[/img]

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  Chinwe

They are all super beautiful. I am patiently waiting to get my hair longer so I can start having more fun with it.

Dotty
Dotty
Reply to  Hansy

What did you do at the back?

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  Dotty

I used lots of gel and just combed it all up and held it up with hair pins. I did it the night previous to the wedding and slept with a scarf and a satin bonnet. The next morning all I had to do was undo the twists I did on the top and style. Took me less than 10 minutes to be ready.

mimi
mimi
Reply to  Hansy

Sorry! I meant to thumbs up your post!

India
India

Thanks for sharing our videos! Much Love, India <3

lenee

I love the looks. My troubles lay within shorter hair, I’m growing my hair out and right now I’m going crazy trying to figure out what to do with the 2 inches I have. Are there any styles for shorter hair?

Sibongile Amy
Sibongile Amy

I do like the 1st style and the one with the twists. I really like what Hansy did with her short hair. I’m a few months all natural after a one year transition. I don’t use heat to style but I also can’t always have the time to do styles that involve very curly hair (e.g. twist/bantu knot outs). I have 4C hair and request that some of these articles on styling also regularly include hair that is stretched but not necessarily curly. I know how hard it must be to cater for everyone Chinwe. You ARE doing a great job… Read more »

Tru2u
Tru2u

Can’t do any of these styles!! why? because my hair is FINE! My twist out looks like thin spaghetti. I’ve only had 3 or maybe 4 hair success, and i’m coming up on being 4 years natural. T^T Aww well I have to live with what I got. I will be trying out tube scarf, they seemed cute

Conroegirl
Reply to  Tru2u

I have a difficult time finding style that will work with my fine/low density hair. And to top it off I have a cowlick on the right side of my head. My go to style is the curly rod set or flat twists.

Tabatha
Tabatha

My hair is super short when I wear it completely natural is compacted and thick and I can only do an afro puff right now. Aargh, I can’t wait for my hair to get longer.

Kimberly
Kimberly
Reply to  Tabatha

Hey, I think the same about mine…I literally look like a preteen going around with these two puffballs. But if you take the time to twist your hair each night (obviously, I don’t), then your hair will stretch. Believe me. If it’s long enough to put in rubber bands, it’s long enough to twist and shake!

Jack
Jack
Reply to  Tabatha

What bout mini twists or finger coils? You can just wear the ‘fro and accessorize it.

Kira Kira
Kira Kira

My hair isn’t exactly long, short or medium. I guess I am at the awkward hair phase lol. I over love style 1.

trackback

[…] and makeup can do everything and make you look and feel good just like you want. There are a lot of hairstyles that you might try on. Some of these hairstyles might work out but others might not work like you […]

Amelya

very good video to watch,