Oprah Rocks Natural Hair on the September 2012 Cover of O Magazine!

Avatar • Aug 1, 2012

Finally! Oprah brought her curls and kinks out to play on the cover of O Magazine’s September 2012 Makeover Issue. Her editorial team explained the decision on Oprah.com:

For the first time ever, Oprah’s appearing on the cover of O without blow-drying or straightening her hair. She says that wearing her hair naturally—as she often does on weekends and on vacation—makes her feel unencumbered. But there was a time when she wanted to just cut it all off. “I wanted to wear it close-cropped a la Camille Cosby but her husband Bill convinced me otherwise. ‘Don’t do it,’ he said. ‘You’ve got the wrong head shape and you’ll disappoint yourself.’ I took his advice,” she says. Although, never one to shy away from a style update, Winfrey is a firm believer that changing your hairstyle can change what we see and feel is possible.

Oprah made a splash back in April 2009 when she revealed on Twitter that her thick, long hair is not a weave and posted this photo as proof:

It’s really cool to see Oprah rock her natural hair for a professional shoot, something she’s rarely done in the past. Ladies, what do you think of the magazine cover?

Landry
Landry

I love it!! Her hair looks full and healthy–go O! ;0)

Shawn
Shawn

Beautiful.

kfortune
Reply to  Shawn

yes! absolutely amazing!

Mahalia

Love it. Can’t go wrong with big hair.

AnonyChick
AnonyChick

Whoa! Her hair looks beautiful, no matter how she rocks it, but I definitely do think she looks best on this cover with a head full of curls. I also understand her decision to straighten/flat iron often, especially with the busy schedule of her talk show back in the day.

Dana
Dana
Reply to  AnonyChick

what? I think blowdrying and straightening it would have been much more time consuming than wearing it natural. And let’s be real. Most times in the past O has rocked a weave. I wouldnt be surprised if she has a few tracks in her hair. But she indeed looks lovely.

Natalee
Natalee

Gorgeous! My sister kept telling me that she saw an episode of Oprah getting a relaxer on her behind the scenes show. I’ll have to show her this post and I may have to buy the issue. Relaxer or not, that is a gorgeous mane!

Jazi
Jazi
Reply to  Natalee

He stylist Andre Walker said he relaxed her hair on occasion, which to me is not natural, but it is beautiful nevertheless.

BluJay

She looks absolutely fabulous! I’ll definitely be grabbing a copy of this issue off the racks.

Jai
Jai

Oprah has a relaxer her stylist just didn’t use heat(blow dry or flat iron). I think she looks great!!!

Joan B. in S. C.
Joan B. in S. C.
Reply to  Jai

Jai, that’s exactly what I thought it looked like. It immediately reminded me of my relaxed days when I was too lazy to blow dry with the comb attachment.

Jai
Jai

This reminds me of when Tyra claimed she was showing her “natural” hair without the weave but she had a fresh perm lol.

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Jai

Tyra kinda gets side-eyes from me when she preaches self-acceptance yet she CLEARLY has had one, if not more, nose jobs. Usually I don’t entertain stories like that but when I saw her younger pics compared to now, even Stevie Wonder could see the difference.

Also didn’t like how she chewed Yaya out as being “overly-defensive” when Yaya retorted to a white editor about “exaggerating her Black-ness” on Top Model.

t
t
Reply to  Jai

tyra never meant natural in the terms that we mean it. she was just talking about her hair without a weave.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Jai

Both Tyra and Oprah mean natural hair as in hair without a weave. Oprah definitely has some relaxer in her hair (her hair is essentially texlaxed). Her stylist Andre does not believe that kinky hair can be styled easily without a relaxer (His version of styling is basically heat straightening and curling).

Both of these women made it clear that they use relaxers. They did both say however that they were showcasing their own hair which they refered to as natural hair.

aNON
aNON
Reply to  Jc

Wow,nice breakdown JC. It seems the word natural means soooo much things it good to know which one is intended.

Oprah’s stylist is the one we havE to tahnk for for the Hairtyping we soo often debate on here O___o.

gracie
gracie

Wrong head shape my eye.

Marcia
Marcia

Love it! But then I am kind of an Oprah stan…so I love most things Oprah.

Bernadette

Very beautiful! Oprah looks very regal. She has inspired me to wear my hair out this weekend, which will be a break from my two-strand twists and braids.

And, she is right, a change in style can change your perspective and how you feel about yourself.

I feel more bold when my hair is wild and free.

Tracey
Tracey

“I wanted to wear it close-cropped a la Camille Cosby but her husband Bill convinced me otherwise. ‘Don’t do it,’ he said. ‘You’ve got the wrong head shape and you’ll disappoint yourself.’ I took his advice,” she says. So help me, I can’t stand that “wrong head shape” line. It’s too often used to scare women away from natural hair styles by playing into insecurities about our looks. Anyone with any shaped head can wear natural hair — even a close cut. It’s all in the quality of the cut, keeping one’s hair conditioned, and having the confidence to carry the… Read more »

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Tracey

cmj
cmj
Reply to  Vonnie

Not sure why you’re so defensive of Cosby’s reply…he’s a comedian.…a comedian. I’d trust that if she truly wanted a males opinion, she’d ask her stylist or her boyfriend Stedman..#ijs

Claire
Claire
Reply to  cmj

Mr. Cosby may be “a comedian”. But he’s also a respected, learned man, and Oprah’s friend. His comments influenced the way Ms. Winfrey wore her hair. I see nothing wrong with disagreeing with what he said.

Vonnie
Vonnie

Looks nice! But um, I gotta few questions: How in good gracious did Oprah prevent heat damage, I mean 90% if not most of the time we see her she has straight hair, so she is getting it flat-ironed or blow-dryed I assume. Or does she wear wigs or pieces to protect her natural hair. It must be one or the other, no matter how careful you are I would think there’s bound to be a mishap with constantly wearing it straightened. I don’t think Oprah would lie about her hair not being relaxed, however. Ah maybe my brain is… Read more »

Adriene
Adriene
Reply to  Vonnie

I’m not certain, but I think some hair is just more susceptible to heat damage than others. I’ve seen some people use heat on a regular basis that never get the kind of damage I get from a few tries with the blow dryer or flat iron. My hair is super kinky, coily and extremely resistant to heat or chemical changes. When I used heat, I had to use super high heat to get my hair straight. And it still was never really, really straight. Maybe some hair doesn’t need as much heat to straighten, hence less heat damage? Or… Read more »

Rachelle
Rachelle
Reply to  Adriene

I think her hair does not get straightened as often as we think. She used to record like 5 shows a day, which means she could’ve done like 25 a week.
Which means if we watched her show for 5 weeks straight, it could have been her hair was only straightened once.

I think she looks great!!!

bateyle
bateyle
Reply to  Vonnie

My first two years of being natural I wore my hair flat ironed. But I went to a professional who had a large natural clientele. It was not heat damaaged. When I decided to wear it it completely natural it just took some training and the right product.

Barbara
Barbara

Her blow out is GORGEOUS. I want her regimen.

anonymous
anonymous

Abuse of adobe photoshop should be a crime.

Lillian Mae

Wow!

I’d love to have seen it in person!

Michelle
Michelle

You go Oprah!!!! Love her hair!!!:)

Tia
Tia

At first I was distracted by the exteme photoshop on this cover but I do like the overall effect(very Diana Ross!!). the hair looks nice and full it kinda reminds me of relaxed hair that got wet and frizzy…lol I am confused…but then again there are so many ways to manipulate natural tresses.

Former Dread
Former Dread

I think this is a weave.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Former Dread

I have to call out ignorance when I see it. Oprah is not one to lie or hide things about herself. Why do some people always jump to say weave when you see a black woman with thick long hair like hers?

Basically all the beautiful women featured in this blog with similar hair must all therefore be rocking wigs and weaves?

Venus
Venus
Reply to  Former Dread

So… Why in the world would she lie about it being her hair? This is a woman who openly admits to being raped as a child, and being promiscuous and having an abortion etc very personal and controversial things.. You are telling me she would lie about her hair after all that?? Really?

lilkunta
lilkunta
Reply to  Venus

venus : WRONG. Oprah only shared her child promiscutiy and child bc her cousin revealed it. She didnt share it willingly.

Lee
Lee

Yes Oprah looks gorgeous as usual , but a part of me believes that there are a few extra pieces in their somewhere. I know it sounds kinda bad to even say that especially after she took a leap in going “natural” in the this picture. I saw the video of this photoshoot and the hair looked completely different then how it does in the actual photo. In the video her hair looked very much like a weave. Their is absolutely nothing wrong with weave I just don’t think it’s all her hair … Just my opinion

yoshi

when we being to accuse oprah of having tracks in her head because of how big it is let us not forget that she is the most wealthy black woman on the planet. she can afford the best and most informed hair stylists on the planet. she didn’t say she did her own hair and put it on the cover of the magazine. in addition to a hairstylist she probably has a nutritionist and fitness guru on her team. y’all stop hatin on her swag. two thumbs down to your snarky comments.

Dulu
Dulu

Old photos of Oprah from her teenage years show that she’s always had long thick hair. She has even said that she might not have had good looks but she always had hair. (paraphrasing, I can’t remember the exact quote) And she can avoid heat/styling damage by having a personal hairdresser at her beck and call. The rest of us can’t afford a Andre Walker to nurture our hair everyday. Nevertheless I love her hair and think its looks great!

Nikki
Nikki

Video of her talking about her hair and also showing it: http://www.eonline.com/videos/189707/oprah-winfrey-s-real-hair

Shortbacknsides
Shortbacknsides
Reply to  Nikki

Just looked at the video link (without sound because of my rubbish IT systems at work) and my initial views are as follows: 1. She is exploiting the popularity of natural hair. Why is this even an issue? If she wished to rock natural hair for a change why make a song and dance about it? i mean interviews with E! really necessary? Press releases about her being on the front of O magazine with natural hair? C’mon!!! 2. That does not look natural to me but it looks like a braid out on relaxed hair; and 3. If the “natural hair… Read more »

okay
okay

Some of you natural chickens make me sick. All up in peoples head like you know everyone’s hair. “Exploiting” the natural hair community” Like it is really worth that much. It is just freaking hair. The natural hair community provides black women with great hair tips and helps black women who are going through things emotionally with their hair, but some of you chicks act like its life. Get out of peoples head and tend to your own.

Tobia

I think Oprah should rock her natural more often… this is the best way to promote self-acceptance.

Dana
Dana

Lets be real. O couldve done this years ago. The only reason why shes doing this cover is because natural hair is BIG BUSINESS. Ladies, give yourself a standing ovation. YOU have changed the beauty landscape. And just like we changed the dynamic in regards to hair, we can do it with anything else.

aNON
aNON
Reply to  Dana

I agree.Natural ROCKS! LOL What next ladies.….… LOL Consumer power is here to stay.

shana

it’s been a minute, but i thought Oprah used PhytoSpecific relaxer.

Jai
Jai

Here’s an interview with Oprah’s stylist from last year about her relaxed hair. Shout out to Shelli(hairscapades.com) for finding it http://www2.tbo.com/lifestyles/health-4-you/2011/jan/22/4UNEWSO6-catching-up-with-oprahs-mane-man-ar-11722/ Here’s a part of the q & a Q: Does Oprah use a relaxer? If so, how do you protect her from damage and breakage? Andre: Yes, I do relax it. Most relaxers are either calcium or sodium based. I tend to like calcium based, or no-lye relaxers. They tend to be less damaging. Also, the new keratin Brazilian hair straighteners are great. But I want to learn more about them. I gave Oprah one once and the chemical fumes… Read more »

HB
HB

PLEASE READ! PLEASE READ! PLEASE READ! PLEASE READ! PLEASE READ! PLEASE READ! DID THIS LYLAH ALPHONSE CHIC FROM TODAY’S YAHOO ARTICLE ABOUT OPRAH JUST CALL OUR NATURAL HAIR “WILD”???? IT’S IN QUOTATIONS AND I AM NOT SURE IF SHE SAID IT OR IF OPRAH SAID IT BUT SHE NEEDS TO CORRECT HERSELF ASAP!! IT LOOKS LIKE THAT IS WHAT SHE IS CALLING UNRELAXED, UNWEAVED, UNBRAIDED NATURAL HAIR. AND WHAT IS SHE TALKING ABOUT NEW BEAUTY TREND?? DO JOURNALIST TODAY EVEN DO ANY RESEARCH ANY MORE OR DO THEY JUST VOMIT ONTO THEIR WORD DOCS WHATEVER COMES FROM THEIR HEADS. CAN SOMEONE… Read more »

simmer down
simmer down
Reply to  HB

Wild” is in quotations in the article. Please simmer down.

Courtney
Courtney

Oprah has a relaxer. She isn’t natural. Her hair is still beautiful.

Karen

Natural? I think not! That pic IS NOT natural hair. It’s relaxed hair, washed and air dried without flat ironing! I have a friend who does it ALL THE TIME. So TIRED of the fakeness.

Erin

Oprah’s hair is beautiful!! Makes me glad I have began the journey to au natural myself!

Jen
Jen

She has a different definition of natural. If you read the article it clearly states that she gets relaxers just not very often. I also take issue with the fact that the author said black hair growth depends on the texture, impling kinky haired naturals cant grow long hair. So not true, depends on the condition & mamagement of your tresses. But Oprah’s hair is lovely!!

Sherron

My hair has been natural for 17 months, i do NOT use heat on my hair, it’s 100% chemical-free and I never cut/trim my hair & people still ask me all the time “Is that all YOUR hair?” b cuz of how thick & long my hair is (i also NEVER straighten my hair!) i think its offensive when someone asks that b cuz it shows that they are assuming that a black woman can’t grown her own real natural hair long as if a black woman with long, thick hair MUST be wearing a fake ass weave or wig that’s racist! how… Read more »

Caerue
Caerue
Reply to  Sherron

Agreed. You’ve piqued my interest… show some pics of your hair? Just curious.

trackback

[…] weaves, with Angela and Lil Mama tweeting photos of healthy, large fros as evidence. Most recently Oprah Winfrey claimed that her hair is flat ironed and not relaxed (although this has come under scrutiny since […]

trackback

[…] month when we posted a photo of Oprah rocking textured hair on the cover of O Magazine, many weren’t buying that the queen of talk was actually natural. Well in an interview with […]

Keana
Keana

WOW!!! I just came across this sire today and I am very ashamed of the natural hair community. Why are YOU natural? Are you proving a point to society or doing it for yourself? Any woman or man has the choice to hide or show their natural hair. Some don’t because of the maintenance. We all KNOW natural hair can be a TASK. If someone is a busy individual, they may not have time to maintain their hair on a daily or weekly basis. For some of you to say Oprah should do this or not do this is CRAZY.… Read more »

Oratilwe
Oratilwe
Reply to  Keana

Everyone might have a choice but all our choices are , either directly or indirectly, influenced by society. For a long time having natural hair was seen as cheap, tacky and unacceptable- even here in Africa ! So whether it’s for “maintenance” or the amount of effort it requires its not wrong to praise her for keeping it natural for once.

Heck some white people have really curly hair but it’s deemed acceptable because they’re white.so why not for us too?

Kimmi
Kimmi

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! Oprah and her stylist both said that he relaxes her hair. This is Oprah’s hair with a relaxer after a wash without straightening. It is NOT NATURAL!!! Just putting the facts out there. Her hair is beautiful, but it is chemically treated.

Caerue
Caerue

Jeeez. So what? Just be glad you have hair! Take it from me, I know. Cuz I’m bald! You are all beautiful as individuals. And so am I. Hair or not. Just enjoy it while you got it!

Andrea
Andrea

Whether its natural or not, Oprah been had very thick hair chris Rock had his hands all up in it on her show. Anyhoo it looks like she’s either mostly natural or she’s transitioning. Look at her hair at the essence fierce and fabulous awards.

Lina
Lina

I think its good. Why? Because if we have legends like oprah promoting natural hair people can accept us and accept themselves. Natural hair is beautiful. The only reason why its not deemed as accepted is because us women are/were so busy with perms and weaves and straightening we forgot the beautiful god given hair that lays on our head. Im glad oprah promoted it. Just because we can accept ourselves doesnt mean we need to be ignorant. Natural hair isnt a trend or a movement. It is something we were born with n over time need to accept ourselves with it,… Read more »

GenerusOil

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/image‑4.jpg[/img]

GenerusOil

All natural hair&skin care

GenerusOil

Generus Oil is a light weight, all natural oil. Created to bring your hair, and skin back to what it used to be; or what you’ve always wanted it to be! Made with fresh french lavender.It has the ability to penetrate deep into the hair, and skin providing sealed in moisture where it is needed most. Its almost too good to be true.Generus Oil promotes healthy hair growth, and can heal dry skin.Your hair , skin and spirit is sure to forgive you for all the harsh treatment of the past.