Oprah’s a Natural?

Avatar • Apr 25, 2009

oprah_real_hair
Oprah, and her natural hair, in the morning

So apparently Oprah is on Twitter, and a lot of her ‘tweeple’ have been complimenting her on her weave. At the end of her show Friday set the record straight by revealing the above photo and stating:

This is not a weave, this is my hair. This what my hair look like… This is me before it gets pressed and curled in the morning.

The audience squealed/roared after she said it. I’m not sure if it was shock, horror, delight or guffaws.

Then Gayle said, “Yowzer.”

!?

I don’t see how this warrants a “Yowzer”, Gayle, except “Yowzer Oprah, the shit looks FABULOUS!” How many of you would like to have hair that thick and long (…and surprisingly healthy given that it’s regularly subjected to a curling iron)?

I know my hand just went up…

***update @ 1:05 p.m. … Jai (commenter) raised a very valid point. Just because her hair is NOT weave doesn’t mean that it IS natural. So… just something to consider. Either way, her hair has lovely volume and I am DEFINITELY not here to hate on it.***

Ebony Intuition
Ebony Intuition

Lovely, even though I don’t feel she has to prove her hair is natural to anyone.

Da Jadedpoet
Da Jadedpoet

I love that she isn’t afraid to put up a pic without make up on,random but whatever LOL. Her skin is gorgeous at 50 or is it 50 plus. Either way she looks good in a healthy way. IMO
Also her hair is gorgeous!! I“m shocked she uses heat so much and still manages to maintain such healthy hair. Her friend Gayle needs to recognize and catch up.
Don’t hate the player, join the game LOL.

Fly Vixen [?]

So this is my first time commenting, and I stalk your blog quite often. It’s lovely, thank you for the awesome information! I’m wondering if maybe the “yowzer” was in reference to her lack of makeup? I’d like to think Gayle would have the decency not to remark so negatively on natural hair, much less the hair of her best friend.

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ Fly Vixen… hey, welcome! And you’re right. That is definitely a legit alternative theory for the ‘Yowzer’, lol.

@ DaJaded… yeh, man. I do give Oprah her props for posting the no-makeup pics. This is the second time I’ve seen her do it.

keisha
keisha

absolutely gorgeous! andre should be complimented on his skills since soOo many people thought her hair was a weave (including me with some of her styles). but does she really get it pressed EVERY morning?

His Daughter
His Daughter

wow, my mom is gonna be shocked because she really thinks oprah’s hair is a wig or something. and i have always told her i thought so too. i am surprised. and her hair is so thick and healthy looking. wow!
i would love to see her rock a nice twist out or something on her show, that would be fun!

Jai
Jai

Oprah NEVER said she was natural, she said her hair was not a weave but everyone is assuming she is natural. She said, “no, I’m not wearing a weave” here’s the link: http://twitter.com/oprah

Then check out the video from yesterday’s show, here’s the link

Anonymous
Anonymous

Why is it difficult to believe it’s her natural, thick, gorgetous hair? I read a biography on Oprah years back. According to it, she’s blessed with naturally full, thick, healthy hair. I don’t remember the exact details, but according to the book, earlier on in her career, she had a producer who took issue with her “big” hair, so she tried to use some kind of chemical to try to thin it out. She ended up losing most of her hair. Thankfully, it grew back.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Also, she didn’t say her hair is pressed every morning. She said in the morning. I imagine her stylist is skilled enough to give her a press that would last for days. I love how information can be misinterpreted and then take on a life of its own.

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ anonymous… i’m going back into the post to change my ‘curling iron every day’ statement into ‘curling iron regularly’

i don’t think we’re deliberately twisting info here or trying to get a false message out. we just don’t know the details, so thanks for clarifying some things.

i put up the post to celebrate oprah’s dope hair! as i said in the post: the shit is fabulous!

CarmellesFabulosity
CarmellesFabulosity

I had no idea Oprah was repping like that! That is alot of freaking hair!!!!! I love it! Does she really press every morning? I don’t believe it! That lady is super busy for me to believe that she gets a press every morning. Go head Oprah show off that hair!

Kinky Rhonnie
Kinky Rhonnie

Why does “Yowzer” have to be interpreted as a negative?

Maybe it’s been years since Gayle had seen Oprah’s freshly pressed, un-styled hair and didn’t realize the thickness and length.

Yowser could have meant “Wow, look at all that hair”.

JMHO!

Anonymous
Anonymous

I don’t think that Oprah wears her hair out everyday on the show. I know I’ve seen her in a curly wig before. I’m not mad at her

Luckyred
Luckyred

I absolutely love OPRAH she is so blessed and honest w/ herself. Also I have been an addict of bglh for like 4 mths and I’m not ashamed but this is my first time posting because I’m usually on my “berry” lol.

Nicole
Nicole

Wow that’s awesome, she def has some awesome hair! She didn’t say she was natural or not, but I think it may be; but even so her hair looks great and I really hope my hair in its natural state looks like that…all the time, lol.

Kit
Kit

I’m just wondering how anyone could look at the volume and texture of that hair and doubt plus the fact that she said before press and curl and doubt that her hair is relaxer free. I have seen relatives who have relaxed extremely thick hair when their hair was washed and dry and although before it is flat ironed it looks puffier than after, it does not look like this hair. I think we are really reaching trying to argue that her hair is relaxed. My eyes say it is not.

Mizz Jazzy Kinks
Mizz Jazzy Kinks

OK so Im a HUGE OPRAH Fan!!! When I saw this picture I was very happy and a little upset that she never has her hair in a natural style on her show. Even though you can catch her all summuer with her hair braided up. Plus I have to add that that IS Oprah natural’s hair! She did a show about how she gets her done awhile back and her hair was right above her shoulders then. Her stylist said he dosent relax her just blowouts, press and curl and sometimes rollers. I was also shocked at gayle’s comment… Read more »

lsaspacey
lsaspacey

Well, it seems to me if she answered a tweet about her hair being a weave that maybe she’ll answer a tweet about her hair being relaxed. I’m not on Twitter so I can’t try out this theory. Somebody else, maybe?

By the way, Oprah has been pictured on her show, in her magazine, and in Andre Walker’s book without makeup before. I always liked that about her.

serenissima
serenissima

i dont think oprah’s hair is ‘natural’… relaxed hair doesnt always have to be short, dry, brittle, and breaking off. i think she is one of many women out there who have HEALTHY relaxed hair (shocker! lol). as someone else pointed out, all she said was that it was HER hair, and not a weave…

and to kit: my hair is relaxed, and believe me, when i wash it and just comb it out and let it air dry, i get huge, thick hair just like madame o. doesnt make me any less relaxed

sometimes looks can be deceiving!

Kinky Rhonnie
Kinky Rhonnie

If you watch the video, she clearly said “THIS IS ME BEFORE IT GETS PRESSED AND CURLED IN THE MORNING”.

Nicole
Nicole

Sorry to comment again, but after a day of mulling it over, I’m wondering why we’re even questioning whether it’s relaxed or natural. I mean, yes we’re curious and all, but O has gorgeous long thick healthy hair, and that in itself is an accomplishment (one that she can certainly pay for). It’s not more or less fabulous for being natural or not.

Alicia
Alicia

Wow, her hair is amazing. I’m not an Oprah fan, but I’m loving the thickness of her hair. Whether it is natural or not is neither here nor there; it is healthy, thick, and long.

Black girl with long hair
Black girl with long hair

@ luckyred and mizz jazzy kinks… welcome to the comment box!

Krystal (aka Pirouette)
Krystal (aka Pirouette)

I would have never guessed Oprah’s hair is that long/big. But she’s been wearing weaves and wigs for so many years, it would make sense her hair is so ful.

Colalover

You’re an idiot. Oprah doesn’t wear weaves. Maybe you do, but she never has!

Anonymous
Anonymous

The ‘controversy’ about Oprah’s hair on the hair forums and blogs I’ve been reading lately has been an eye opener. Somehow it seems a number of supposed naturals and transitioners, despite the countless fotkis and blogs and pictures out there find it hard to believe any dark skinned black woman can grow their natural hair thick and long, even Oprah with her live in hairstylist and a billion dollars to spend. This is so unbelieveably crazy, I don’t know what to think, It does say a lot about the state of mind of many women out there who despite flirting… Read more »

Colalover
Reply to  Anonymous

Exactly! My daughter is somewhat dark skinned, and has very long hair. She has exact hair as Oprah. Oprah is a healthy woman and I never thought she was fat. She’s highly intelligent. Yes I know many ignorant light skinned naturals, black men and white women who can’t fathom that this is Oprah’s hair. I am lightskinned and people still assume my hair is weaved. So it goes to all complexions of black women. However, you have many who are still pretty clueless about the varying black hair types.

Neekie
Neekie

Quoting MizzJazzyKinks
“Her stylist said he dosent relax her just blowouts, press and curl and sometimes rollers.”

So her hair is natural. K.

And I LOVE the thickness and length.Oprah has always had “big hair”..I saw that from when they showed clips from her show from decades ago. Me likey. 🙂

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hmmm, I have my doubts, except that is an old picture. Cause, shouldn’t it be longer when pressed? seems shorter on tv than the picture. But it probably is real cause it looks it.

Suzette
Suzette

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can please all of the people all of the time..” If its’ her “natural hair” then it’s beautiful…if it’s not natural..it’s still a lot of healthy looking hair. At this point I don’t think Ms. O has anything to prove to anybody..lol

Suzette
Suzette

Also.. if you look back/google at when Mr. O was on the news in Baltimore she also rocked natural hair and even an afro some days..so it’s not hard to believe she get a press out.

Donna
Donna

Oprah has always had full,long hair,but she uses protective styles many times. Often half-wigs.…for her to have natural hair all the time,it would be difficult with her schedule, as with other actresses that use weaves,wigs etc.…I understand that.…Just have healthy hair underneath or on top.

Colalover
Reply to  Donna

Oprah doesn’t need “protective styles” Her hair is strong and grows on it’s on naturally. Just sayin, not all Black women have xtra fragile dry hair. I know many black women who can grow long kinky hair without really trying. She doesn’t even have sparse or crispy like z strands. She is natural. She’s had long hair since birth.

Tabatha
Tabatha

This was old news for me. I remember when she did a show with Chris Rock when he did that Good Hair documentary. She had said that she was natural. Then when she goes on vacation she cornrows them. I personally don’t care either way she is a great lady and her hair doesn’t define her or the Multi millionaire that she is.

Colalover

I am amazed that some of you didn’t know this is Oprah’s hair?! I’ve always known because I can tell any weave a mile away. Anyone can look at her old shows and see the quality of her hair is not like the average African Americans hair. Her hair is not sparse and fragile looking, it never looked weavish or wigish either? so I don’t get it? I don’t get how you all can’t tell her hair is a different type? Gladys Knight is the same way. so is Natalie Cole and Mariah Carey. Halle Berry also has naturally long… Read more »