3 Easy-To-Make Homemade Deep Conditioners for Natural Hair

Avatar • Aug 28, 2012

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

For some of us, going natural did not stop with our hair.  It continued with a move towards mixing our own “natural” products.  While numerous recipes exist on the internet, few are actually both simple AND effective in meeting the needs of our natural hair.  If you are new to making your own products or are a current mixtress searching for an easy-to-make recipe that actually works, you can start with these homemade conditioners, which are my three favorites:

1. For Manageability – Bananas, olive oil, glycerin, and honey

This homemade conditioner improves the manageability of my hair for post-rinse styling. The secret is in the banana, which has a way of minimizing shrinkage and softening the hair when mixed with the other ingredients.  Meanwhile, glycerin and honey, which are both humectants, and olive oil, which is known to penetrate the hair, all contribute moisturizing benefits.  Do not be alarmed if you notice a loosening of your coils or curls with this conditioner; the effect is temporary until your next wash day. This recipe is ideal for naturals who want to achieve easier blow-outs or better stretched styles.

Ingredients:
1 large overripe banana (sliced) OR 7 oz banana baby food
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp pure vegetable glycerin
2 tbsp pure honey

Instructions:
Place the sliced banana, extra virgin olive oil, glycerin, and honey all in a blender. Blend the ingredients thoroughly making sure no lumps or banana bits remain. (Depending on your blender quality, you may or may not have to then sieve the mixture.  Another option is to use banana baby food, though the conditioner may not be as effective.) Apply to hair and let sit for 30–45 minutes under a shower cap. Detangle, rinse thoroughly, and style as usual.

2. For Detangling – Avocados, olive oil, shea butter, and apple cider vinegar

This homemade conditioner is lubricating, thick, and heavy, all of which give my kinks slip, moisture, and hang for detangling. The avocado’s meatiness and fatty acid content contribute to the effectiveness of this mixture.  Additionally, the fatty acids in the olive oil combined with the emollient properties of shea butter add even more lubrication and moisturizing benefits.  Lastly, the acidic pH of the apple cider vinegar helps to flatten the cuticles for easier detangling.  This conditioner is ideal for those with thick, dense hair and major shrinkage.

Ingredients:
1 overripe avocado (sliced)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup unrefined shea butter
2–3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar

Instructions:
Place the sliced avocado, unrefined shea butter, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), and apple cider vinegar (ACV) into a blender. (There is no need to melt the shea butter ahead of time.)  Blend all the ingredients thoroughly and add more EVOO, if necessary, until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. When done, apply to the hair and let sit for 30–45 minutes under a shower cap. Detangle, rinse thoroughly, and style as usual.

3. For Strengthening – Coconut oil and honey

This conditioner is ideal for naturals whose hair dislikes protein conditioners but needs a bit of strengthening.  The key is the coconut oil, which binds to the hair thus reducing keratin loss. Honey, a humectant, is also added to the mix to impart moisture retention.  I get the best of both worlds – moisture and strength – with this conditioner.  I personally use two servings of the recipe because my hair is really thick, dense, and naturally dry.

Ingredients:
4 tbs of extra virgin coconut oil
2 tbs of pure honey
(depending on hair density or length, you may use two servings of this recipe)

Instructions:
Place the coconut oil and honey in a small cup and place the cup in a large bowl of hot water.  Allow the cup to sit in the water for a few minutes until the mixture is warm.  Pour the mixture onto freshly washed but towel blotted hair.  Put on a shower cap, and wrap with a towel to prevent mixture from dripping onto face. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then rinse out 80–90% of the conditioner, and style as usual.

Do you have any homemade conditioner recipes? Share below!

***********************************************

While you’re here, check out our handmade whipped shea, cocoa and mango butters and African black soap! Enter coupon code TWENTYOFF for 20% off your first order.

Click here to view our whipped butters.

Click here to view our raw butters.

Raw Butters Sample Pack -- PICK 2

Click here to view our authentic African black soap.

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

thank you!I am intrigued by the banana one. I’ve been interested in using banana lately. I know Coconut oil can strengthen your hair a little bit, but I don’t know about replacing protein with it.

Lea
Lea

Her name is LOO?????

Lola Zabeth

Love this post! These recipes use some of my fave ingredients. I use this recipe every so often, or when needed:

Triple Phat Coconut Custard Hair Masque
‑4 oz pure coconut cream
‑1 oz unrefined coconut oil
‑1 oz goat’s milk
‑1 tbs black strap molasses
I mix all all of this together, slather it thick on my hair (after cleansing), leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse out. Hair is butter soft.

Seven
Seven
Reply to  Lola Zabeth

how much in tsp/tbsp are the ounces, and where can can I purchase these items

KaraJ
KaraJ

I am a big fan of homemade conditioners especially using advocados (although I have to fight with my husband because he feels like I am wasting a perfect pear). My recipe is 1 ripe advocado, 1 cup of coconut milk and 1/4 cup of olive oil. I swear my hair feels like silk the only thing is I have to wash it out very well.

DreamGirl
DreamGirl

Banana baby hair food yields amazing results on my hair. I also love full fat greek yoghurt mixed with honey and evoo.…10 points!!

Mia_P
Mia_P

This is wasting food items. I will not use these items on my hair sorry. I will eat the banana, avocado, olive oil etc.

Venus
Venus
Reply to  Mia_P

Lmao!!!

Kemi
Kemi
Reply to  Venus

Hahahhahaahhaha, you know you can do both right? Lol. 🙂

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Mia_P

I think folks who use avocado on their hair must either be upper- or middle-class (lol) and/or live in California or someplace else where they’re super-cheap. Out here in the Midwest they’ve been going for around $2 apiece or a little more. That’s too much money for something that’s really much better for your insides (avocado is full of healthy fat and keeps you satiated) than your outsides. So I agree with you on the avocado BUT note that it’s a single-use product (most of the time). Everything else listed is pretty cheap by comparison. You’re not going to use… Read more »

Mia_p
Mia_p
Reply to  LBell

Honey, avocado, bananas, apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil are expensive where I live. One Avocado can cost you $25.00 (equals 4 USD), bananas are $12.99 per pound, natural honey is $20 for 20 fluid oz bottle. Apple cider vinegar & EVOO are imported so they are pricey. Coconut oil is the only cheap product on this list. Hence the reason I said I would rather eat the products. it’s all good though.

KaraJ
KaraJ
Reply to  Mia_p

I am just curious where are you from because with those prices I don’t blame you. I am spoiled where I am, in Orlando I am able to buy 3 avocados for 1.99.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Mia_P

LOL. I don’t mind doing it on occasion.

Idara
Idara
Reply to  Mia_P

Or you could save the recipes until one of the mentioned fruits is going bad in your fridge.

Amy
Amy

I guess it’s fun (almost therapeutic) to make natural hair care produts and take care of your hair but some people take it way too far. Why would you put baby food in your hair? How did you discover that and why is that necessary at all? Wouldn’t the baby food have the oh so harmful preservatives in it? Just go around passing on ideas that have no scientific basis or proof that they work other than hearsay.

Courtney
Reply to  Amy

Actually, you can get organic baby food.…just like any other food. And baby food is already pureed so it tales the work out of mushing up a whole banana.…don’t be so judgemental, especially of YOU don’t know what you’re talking about.

Shawnie
Reply to  Amy

Why is this even an arguable debate? Before we had conditioner on the shelves this is what our ancestors did mix stuff to put in there hair. Baby Food is actually good for your hair and body it dosen’t contain a lot of preservs as one might think..Baby Banana food has worked on my hair. I’m a no heat,no color, I don’t put anything I cannot eat on my hair Natural and I’m Proud of it…My hair is Thriving! Let’s have an open mind.You might be surprised. I rather know what is going in my hair than having to read… Read more »

AfroGeisha

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  Shawnie

Reshonda
Reshonda
Reply to  Shawnie

I agree with you on that! And if anyone is worried about preservatives ( it’s in the conventional conditioners you’re using btw lol), just opt for organic banana baby food. Be a label reader! Plain and simple. But to each his or her own, these recipes actually work for some and I appreciate the info! I much rather make something.

Courtney

Take*

nelle
nelle

PERFECT timing, I have pear in my fridge now, that has turned a little brown, and I don’t like to eat it that way. I’m going to mix it w/some honey, some olive oil, some mayo, some egg and see what happens.

Erica

Hi, I recently did a video on youtube featuring an avocado and coconut milk homemade conditioner and I had AMAZING results. In my BGLH style icon interview, I mentioned not having a go-to conditioner…well, I have it now! I dont think I’ll ever spend tons of money on pricey conditioners. 5 days later, my hair is still soft without adding additional oils/product.

Check it out! http://youtu.be/hihqyuUge_M

And here’s a pic of my results
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Picture2.png[/img]

Jula

Huh? Bananas are generally cheap, like $.89/lbs. Avocados I’ve seen $1.99 and this is in the south and the west coast. Maybe on the east coast, not counting Florida it’s more pricey.

Anyways. When I first went natural, I would make these mixes. They’re useful when you run out of product but too time consuming right now. Very helpful though.

Shaz
Shaz

This is a brilliant article. I love mixing up my own products because in the UK it is cheaper than shop bought products. I have been wanting to try the banana one for ages. Definitely gonna try it soon. Thanks for posting!!

lovelylauz02
lovelylauz02

I’m with the other ladies… I“m In Atlanta and the avocados don’t just fall off the trees here. You pay at least $2 on a good day. I’m going to try to baby food and coconut oil. As for now, I have two jars of manmade DCs that make my hair leap for joy. My hair likes cones and I use them in great moderation… so… until I use up all my “scientifically enhanced” DCs, lol, no kitchen mixtures for a while. I might make some flax seed gel though.

India
India

Dang y’all need to stop complaining and take this article for what it’s worth. Jeez

Marisa

Avocado and banana deep conditioner
Half a ripe avocado
Half a banana
One third of coconut milk one third of a tin 400ml.
Two table spoons of honey
Two table spoons of Jojoba oil
Blend the above ingredients for a couple of minutes or so until in a consistent paste.

My hair is always super soft and moisturised after this treatment. I Love it.

ajani
ajani

OMG bANANA CHUNKS IN MY HAIR Never again, that is all

Cathey Poindexter-Taylor
Cathey Poindexter-Taylor
Reply to  ajani

I experienced this as well the first time a used bananas in my hair. I realized I should have blended them. I am going to try it again, this time I will blend the bananas until smooth.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Yeah, it does say blend it. I will use my little personal blender if I try this!

erigirl
erigirl

my fav comes from friend and natural vlogger allienicole. everyone i’ve passed it onto has been incredibly happy with the results. http://youtu.be/JTdLA-_YYos

Adapted Banana Deep Conditioning Mask from LolaZabeth.com.

1 semi-overly ripe banana
3 tablespoons of EVOO
3 heaping tablespoons of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of rosemary oil
1/2c moisturizing conditioner

Blend to puree mixture and shingle through hair. Great as an overnight leave-in!

woowoo
woowoo

I have just went natural for about 10 months I am so excited I have went throught the transition stage now I am going through learning my hair embracing my natural and I LOVE IT! I want to thank everyone for the natural homeade remedies for the are excellent and I look to learning more I LOVE MY NATURAL!

Patrina
Patrina

I want to thank BGLH .…..for all these wonderful receipes although I’ve only been natural for 10 months these have been the best 10 months of natural I’ve ever experienced OMG… LOVE U GUYS HERE ARE MY RESULTS
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/IMAG0149.jpg[/img]

linda

how often do you have to wash your hair? please help me people i really need this help me i am having a lot of breakage every time but how do i stop that?

Patrina
Patrina
Reply to  linda

I wash my hair once a week with a natural shampoo and vinegar rinse and then do the avadcado conditioner and u must cut your ends and u will have shedding

Patrina
Patrina
Reply to  Patrina

The recipe with the measurements are listed above.

Elissa
Elissa
Reply to  Patrina

Wow! Your hair looks so lovely and soft, Patrina

BLKMANWITHLONGHAIR
BLKMANWITHLONGHAIR

I tried the avocado jawn, I had veins and seeds all in my hair lol. My lil sister had to pick it out. Never again! But love this website. you ladies rock 🙂

LacyW
LacyW

Veins and seeds?

Chauntae
Chauntae

There are neither veins nor seeds when using avocado. Did you use the peeling and seeds somehow, and was it ripe…?

TLa
TLa

I don’t think you used an avocado. Avocados have a pit not seeds, unless you took the pit and was able to grind that up as well.

TLa
TLa
Reply to  TLa

Or it could have been over ripe to get the veins…

Steph
Steph

There are no veins or seeds in avocado, an avocado has a large pit. Not sure what you used lol

kiki
kiki

when making the avocado mix use a blender to get the mix smooth for application, that way you arent ricking out chunks of avocado in your hair. good luck!

kiki
kiki

when making the avocado mix use a blender to get the mix smooth for application, that way you arent picking out chunks of avocado in your hair. good luck!

ashley
ashley

I’m DEF trying this TODAY. I was in need of a conditioner

mckenna
mckenna

Im trying mayo heated in the microwave. it make the oil looking stuff come out of the mayo and you leave it on ur hair for 15 min

Yo Yo
Yo Yo

I am attempting to grow out my texturizer for about the 4th time in the past several years. I always make it pretty far and then give up around the summer months. My natural hair texture is not that bad but when transitioning the two textures are so different it makes it so difficult to commit to growing out the texturizer and I am not doing the “Big chop”. Again, I am going to grow out the texturizer for good. I am trying to make sure that everything I use in my hair and on my skin is all natural.… Read more »

kady eff
kady eff

For the banana conditioner, err on the side of caution and sieve it. I tried last night and the banana would not rinse out. I had to just wash my hair section by section to get it out. I could see the looseness of the dry curls after though. Will definitely try it again with a sieve!!!

amasheena
amasheena
Reply to  kady eff

I think the sieve is great advice, for the avocado too, buz sometimes you do get veins and seeds in the mix. Also, be patient when preparing your mixtures. It’s like with anything you do thats new.

keke
Reply to  kady eff

tHat is soooo true about the bananas!! I used bananas once and will never use again. I mixed a lil olive oil and blended bananas. When you put in your it becomes hard as rock and seemed impossible to wash out. Took me hours to get it out! Use at your own risk!!!!!!

Amber
Amber

I made a hair conditioner with jus avocado, banana, olive oil and white shea butter. Blended in a ninja blender to get all the clumps out and it left my hair soft and smooth no i did an extra rinse jus because but i dnt feel it was needed

Angelica

I love making home made conditioners. This one works well on relaxed or natural hair. I hope you all find it helpful.

Erin
Erin

I wash my hair with plain old bicarbonate of soda which is really good and I only have to wash it every three days BUT it’s very drying! So I decided to try coconut oil, I tried applying half a teaspoon to both dry and wet hair, leaving overnight, both times it made my hair SUPER greasy and took about four washes to get it out! (Over the course of four days which was nasty cos my hairs not used to being washed so often) Is Bicarbonate of Soda just not good at getting coconut oil out? I really need… Read more »

Sarada
Sarada
Reply to  Erin

Bicaebonate is a base which leaves a sort of slippery residue. It is very drying and so should be used sparingly and with extreme caution. I myself never use it in my hair only on my skin it is a great exfoliator. What you want to use is Apple cider vinegar which is an acid. It has the added benefits of being full of vitamins and alpha hydroxy acids which will break up the bonds between healthy new skin and dead skin cells, dirt and oil. If you are interested in more comment here and I’ll try to respond expeditiously.… Read more »

Erin
Erin
Reply to  Sarada

What about the vinegar smell, will it wash out? Can I use white vinegar since I have very light hair? (And it’s all I have in lol) How much should I use, should I use it with the coconut oil or just stick to putting coconut oil on my skin 😛 Sorry for so many questions haha :’)

Sarada
Sarada
Reply to  Erin

Not at all. Questions are good! Dilute about 5 or 6 drops of the vinegar in about 1/2 c H2O. U could then add in a drop or three of an essential oil, I like lavender myself — it’s good for cleaning and of course relaxing and if you happen to get some undiluted oil on your skin it won’t burn as it is one of the few essential oils that is near the pH of human skin. I prefer to use olive oil, about 1 tbs, but coconut oil will probably work. It is heavier than olive oil and… Read more »

Sarada
Sarada
Reply to  Sarada

Geez! Can u say typo? I meant if you do not use the egg yolks…incidentally don’t use hot water if you do you use egg yolks, you’ll cook it into your hair that is rough to get out! warm water is sufficient.

vayvay
vayvay
Reply to  Sarada

hello I was looking for homemade hair products for my natural hair and I came across your comments and I am very intrigued with all the knowledge you have and I would like to know if you have any tips on homemade hair masks and hair gels?

Sarada
Sarada
Reply to  Erin

Also, Apple cider vinegar is effective because it comes from apples, fruit. White vinegar is made from grains. Some people prefer the white vinegar as it can lighten color and leaves their hair with a gloss. It’s up to you which u choose. U won’t hurt your hair with one trial…

Erin
Erin
Reply to  Sarada

Thanks so much!! I’m gonna try this as soon as I get round to ordering some more Lavendar Essential Oil.…oh and that part about white vinegar coming from grains makes a lot of sense, I’ve been trying to avoid grains anyway so I’ll get some apple cider vinegar lol, again THANK YOU SO MUCH

Lindsey
Lindsey
Reply to  Erin

I would just stop using baking soda to wash my hair. If you want to continue using it I would just add a tea/tablespoon of it to a sulfate-free (or regular) shampoo every now and then for extra clarification if that is what you are trying to achieve. But your hair should not be so incredibly dry after washing. Not good.

Porsche
Porsche

I am not natural but I am trying the texlaxed method. I co wash my hair every week or two and only use shampoo once a month or every couple months. I have tried different deep conditioners I recently made one with one avocado, EVOO, egg, mayo, and yogurt and it worked out well

JuicezNberriez
JuicezNberriez

Hi, I just wanted to give my feedback on the homemade conditioners. I liked all of them but my fav is the avacado mix. It made my hair really soft and it was so easy to detangle. I have been natural for going on 4 years and this was my very first time using conditioners that I can make at home and I must say I love em!! Thank you for sharing!

nuttydiva86
nuttydiva86

I tried the banana conditioner today. Once I’d steamed it for half an hour hair was soft! Then came to rinsing it out. Took hours. In the end my mum had to help me pick out the banana bits. It did actually do the trick as my curls were loose but next time I’ll make sure to blend rather than mash the bananas. Had to moisturise with coconut oil to restore the moisture lost. Guys do try it out but BLEND THE BANANAS!

BSH
BSH
Reply to  nuttydiva86

Yep, blending the banana until it’s smooth is key to avoiding the bitty residue.

Lolliwink
Lolliwink
Reply to  nuttydiva86

Yes, I agree with you about blending until very SMOOTH!

I found that after blending the mashed bananas…it was a great idea to “strain” them (sort of like baby food). I pushed the blended bananas through a sieve…it works wonderfully.

Absolutely NO banana particles at all!!! ;-D

Lk
Lk

I use honey, olive oil, and egg. I am going to switch the egg out and use mayo.

Lolliwink
Lolliwink
Reply to  Lk

MAYONNAISE is chiefly made up of well-blended egg yolks, oil and vinegar or lemon juice. I believe Best Foods/Hellman’s have an “Olive Oil Mayo” on the market these days. ;-D However, it’s also very easy to make your own Mayonnaise, as well. You’ll just need a blender or blender wand. Instead of vegetable oil…use OLIVE OIL! 😀 TRUTH ABOUT MAYONNAISE: 1. Hair Growth Mayonnaise contains egg yolks, vinegar, and oils that work together to nourish and moisturize your hair. The presence of L‑cysteine, an amino acid, in mayonnaise helps it nourish your “scalp” to promote healthy hair growth. 2. An Excellent Conditioning Treatment… Read more »

Denise
Denise

I just want to say I love this site. While I am not a lady of color, my father had very tight curly hair,and I have wavy hair; and my husband has Italian coarse, curly hair, and passed that on to my daughter. So, I frequent this site often for tips to keep her hair gorgeous. I personally make my own conditioner with High Oleic Sunflower Oil with Provitamin B, Vitamin E, and Soy Protein; but like to try the all natural approach too. I run a bath and body shop on Etsy, Summerland Bath & Body. Thank you!

ayesha
ayesha

Curd an eggs..are good for hairs??.….

Yvette
Yvette

Just tried the Bananas, olive oil, glycerin, and honey mixture on 4b/c hair and I am in love..A year ago a friend gave me a mixer and I never used it..well today was the day I dusted off that Baby and went in and let my hair get some love. There were no knots, no shedding, no tangles just Manageability hair..I just Love You..(HUGGS)!!!

Venus
Venus

can you jar n store the avocado mixture in fridge n still use or is it a mix each time u need it????

NEFER.UA
NEFER.UA
Reply to  Venus

The mixture will eventually go bad. I try to use it all at once.

InMyOpinionGodlyWisdomIsBest
InMyOpinionGodlyWisdomIsBest
Reply to  NEFER.UA

Nefer.UA,

GREAT ADVICE! This hair conditioner is just like “manna” from heaven! No need to STORE it…it will go bad. Just make it “fresh” each time!
If you happen to make too much…share with a relative, friend or even your pet! ;-D

Your dog will have the shiniest coat, ever! 😀

Shana
Shana
Reply to  Venus

I tried the avocado deep conditioner and it worked wonders. Just make sure to really blend it. I have very thick 4c hair and it made it so much softer and manageable. Also, I still had enough for 2x, so I stored in the freezer and it was still good for the next 3 weeks. It started to turn just a Lil in the last week but I still used it and it was fine. My hair did not complain!

Mizkuukua
Mizkuukua

Omg! Omg! Omg! I tried a blend of banana, white shea butter and honey and omg! Is my hair soft?! It feels like butter. I cut a fresh banana into pieces, poured some honey onto it and poured some melted shea butter and then blended till it was smooth. Washed out like soap. P.s. I washed with raw egg protein before conditioning it.

FABLIFE-1
FABLIFE-1
Reply to  Mizkuukua

Where did you purchase your shea butter? I visited a store call Sally’s Beauty…but, the only Shea butter they offered had a billion other ingredients in it! I would like to use 100% Shea Butter.
Any suggestions on where to get it??
Thanks!

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  FABLIFE-1

*Scooches in* You can get it here: https://bglh-marketplace.com/product/raw-shea-butter/

Jerk
Jerk
Reply to  FABLIFE-1

If you have to ask you can’t be black.

Paoloma
Paoloma

I wonder if banana in baby food jars would work just as well as ripe whole bananas.

NEFER.UA
NEFER.UA
Reply to  Paoloma

That is what I use. I’ve heard to many say that they had a hard time getting banana bits out of their hair. Its easier, you don’t have to blend it, it is already done for you! I purchase the Gerber Stage 2, comes two in a pack. I use one to begin with and add more if needed.

AK
AK

Napptual85 on youtube has a great tutorial on creating a homemade-made deep conditioner. http://un-ruly.com/homemade-hair-deep-conditioner/
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/unruly_logo_small_black2.png[/img]

[…] BlackGirlLongHair […]

Lindsey
Lindsey

For the first two conditioners — am I supposed to shampoo first? I’ve used recipes like these before but as pre-poo.

Quiana Isbrecht
Quiana Isbrecht

Size it up! Most bath towel collections offer a variety of sizes to fit your space, budget and personal preference. Check out the chart below to see how each towel stacks up.:

Our own web site
<.http://www.prettygoddess.com/

steph
steph

Any tips for cleaning the blenders afterwards? lol

kismetj
kismetj

ive been doing a mix of yogurt, mayo, olive oil, honey, some brags amino acids and coconut oil. possibly overkill but my hair feels amazing after. there is alot of protein and i wouldnt recommend leaving it on longer than 30 minutes. the protein in the yogurt & mayo can make your hair start to feel kind of stiff. But when my sister started braiding my hair the last time i used this she was amazed at how soft my hair was.. I will never buy deep conditioner again.

Brandi R.
Brandi R.
Reply to  kismetj

Where did you get the Braggs Amino Acids?

Tiara
Tiara
Reply to  Brandi R.

You can get it at the Vitmainshoppe

AVIA
AVIA
Reply to  Brandi R.

You can also get Bragg’s Amino Acid at Whole Foods

Tolu
Tolu
Reply to  AVIA

U can get it on Amazon as well

Anonymous

There’s noticeably a bundle to grasp this. I presume you might have created certain nice points in capabilities also.

verona
verona
Reply to  Anonymous

What?

trackback

[…] This is my favorite conditioner when it comes to my 4B/4C strands.  This homemade mixture consists of an avocado, olive oil, melted shea butter, and apple cider vinegar, which together provide amazing slip and hang for detangling. Check out the recipe for the detangler in this previous post. […]

Anita
Anita

Can we mix any of these mixtures together?? I’m interested in mixing the strengthening and detangling recipes? Or would that have adverse effects?

Brisha
Brisha

I was wondering are all of these homemade conditioners okay to use along with any of the homemade shampoos?

Dallas

I’m a BIG fan of olive oil and honey with a bit of mayo for consistency. I would add avocado more often too when it’s in season. I tried a ripe banana once — don’t think I’ll do that again, I couldn’t get all the lumps out no matter how long it was in the blender and picking it out of my hair was no picnic.

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  Dallas

OMG!!!…I did a DIY deep conditioning with a banana yesterday, and thought I was never going to get all the banana bits out. All I could think was that I’d need to call my pest control guy today b/c I was going to turn my room into a hotbed of activity!

Robin
Robin
Reply to  Andrea

Hi Andrea.
Not trying to be funny but did you use a blender? I found that if you do, the mixture is much more creamy and uniform in texture and less chunky. I occasionally use the avocado/banana/olive oil/honey mixture but have found that if I mix it in my ninja, it is much better and makes my hair so soft. Hope that helps

Robin
Robin
Reply to  Robin

Also can try the pureed natural bananas in the baby food aisle if you like.

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  Robin

I did blend, but no length of time seemed to get all the chunks out. And they weren’t large chunks. They were very tiny bits of banana tangled between hairs and it was impossible to simply wash out.

Malkin
Malkin
Reply to  Dallas

You can also try freezing and thawing the bananas first before blending them. 🙂

trackback

[…] rich, creamy products for your at-home hair spa, the following three (3) recipes from the folks at Black Girl with Long Hair may become easy […]

Signe

Can you store any of these? Perhaps refrigerated. I’m looking for something I can make in bulk and use often.

Stephanie
Stephanie

I am definitely going to try this, especially the last one. I’ve been using raw eggs to give my hair a good protein treatment. It works well, but I LOVE coconut oil and honey! I keep them around my home. I wish I’d known this recipe a couple days ago when I washed my hair. Oh well, I use it Wednesday or Thursday! Thanks so much!

Lisa
Lisa

I have thin dirty blonde hair that is in need of a good conditioner for strength and moisture, do you think the coconut and honey would work in my hair too?

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  Lisa

Coconut oil and honey is good for all types of hair.

The Mane Captain

DO NOT try the Banana mix, I tried it twice, and couldn’t get the Banana bits off my hair for a week!

Jaimie-Lyne
Jaimie-Lyne

I did not experience this, maybe your blender is not powerful enough? Let us know how it worked out! Banana hair mask is amazing for my hair, please give it another try

Lynn
Lynn

Try using puréed banana in the baby food aisle. I’ve used it and it works great.

Chachamusicgirl

I normally shampoo and condition every other day using a commercial hair mask or deep conditioner as my conditioner. On the in between days I wet my hair in the shower and apply honey. I let it sit in the steam from the shower and rinse after ten minutes. This keeps my hair always soft never dry and crusty.

James

wow!!! great article. thanks for sharing

flaure
flaure

Thank you for sharing this article. I have been using olive oil alone on my hair and noticed a huge difference and the softness and shine. There are so many products from your kitchen that is very beneficial for your hair. Check out more combination mixes that you can use on your hair at: http://health-and-beauty-nut.com/2013/07/homemade-hair-conditioner/

trackback

[…] Article source via: http://bglh-marketplace.com/2012/08/3‑easy-to-make-homemade-deep-conditioners-for-natural-hair/ […]

kiyla
kiyla

Coconut milk and honey is all I use as a deep conditioner now, it leaves my hair soft and shine and my hair is very kinky and coily

Sarada
Sarada
Reply to  kiyla

Hi Kiyla,

How much of each do you use? What is the consistency supposed to be when you apply it. And what kind of coconut milk do you use? I’m very interested to try this.

Sarada

linux hosting

Appreciate this post. Will try it out.|

Doyin
Doyin

Where would I find glycerin? Is it advisable to mix 1 and 2? Do I need glycerin or can I replace it with coconut oil and extra honey?

MamaJo
MamaJo
Reply to  Doyin

Doyin, I get mine online. Vitacost, Soapgoods, Amazon. If you are near a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s and sometimes a GNC you can find it. It may be near the natural sweeteners. It is Vegetable Glycerin that I use and I believe she is referring to here.

madametj
madametj
Reply to  Doyin

Regular Glycerin can be found at Walmart and drug stores in the first aid section for about $3

Sher
Sher
Reply to  Doyin

Doyin you can also find them in pharmacy stores such as Walgreens, maybe a CVS. If you frequent beauty supply stores glycerin is also there

Doyin
Doyin

Thanks! I’m going to try this out this weekend.

Amethyst42
Amethyst42

Trying the detangling on my daughter right now… it’s desperately needed! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Naomi
Naomi

For the first conditioner, what can Olive Oil be substituted with? I am allergic to olive oil when used topically/ externally. Thanks!

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  Naomi

Coconut oil is a great replacement from Olive Oil

Vanessa Stinson
Vanessa Stinson

My hair is natural but gray help.

aura
aura

would give option 3 a trial. .bcos i made use of product known as emily millionaire too often and it has made my to thin down…wondering about what could be done. .

Ije
Ije

I made the one with bananas to condition my hair today, and I have to say my hair does NOT like this at all. It took numerous washes, over 6 times on each section of hair to wash it out and I still have lots of banana stuck to my hair. It made my hair dry and straw-like. It was blended absolutely smoothly, and went on my hair easily, but the aftermath has been awful. I’ve been so upset at the state of my hair!!! Maybe my hair and banana just aren’t meant to be.

Faustina
Faustina
Reply to  Ije

i had this problem as well, if you watch this link

Naptural85 tells you how to over come this problem, hope it helps (sorry the web address is s long)

kim2
kim2
Reply to  Ije

I shared your experience. Had to put conditioner over my hair and comb thru with a denman brush, then rinse to get the bananas out. I won’t use that recipe again.

nedra
nedra

I been going natural for a year now. But unfortunately I started off getting blow outs all the time.. is it true that heat (blow outs) can damage your natural curl pattern? If so what can I do to gain that curl pattern back? To prevent doing a big chop, do apple cider vinegar help develop your curl pattern? PLEASE HELP.. #naturallife2013..

Mz. A
Mz. A
Reply to  nedra

Sorry there’s nothing you can do about heat damaged hair but grow it off. Yes heat can and will damage your natural curl pattern when used to much or improperly.

Julie Ali

For the person who is allergic to olive oil, use grapeseed extract oil instead. It is a wonderful substitute! Also, when your hair starts to feel dry, take a cosmetic cotton pad, and put it over the bottle of grapeseed extract oil. Get it a little saturated with the oil. the take the pad and start rubbing the hair ends lightly working it up to the roots at the scalp. You will not use very much! I color treat my hair. Those are the only chemicals used on my hair! Using the apple cider vinegar shampoo recipe with castile soap,… Read more »

Idara
Idara
Reply to  Julie Ali

Could you please clarify if you are referring to grapefruit seed extract or grape seed oil? The two fruits are different.

the mane captain

i’ve tried all these treatments, i had the worst experience with the banana treatment the two times I used it. I couldnt get thepieces out of my hair! I think the problem is that banana is sticky and so it sticks to the hair. I wouldnt recommend this treatment to anyone.
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

sarah
sarah

this is a beautiful article, i think i’m going to try some of this. wow! thanks. also, for those in need of how to make some cash; http://bit.ly/1ib8qLa

Ashley
Ashley

I’d really like to try the second choice since my hair has been super knotty when I wash it and when it dries it just gets worse. However, I’m studying abroad in South America right now and can’t seem to find pure Shea butter anywhere. Is there a substitute for the Shea butter that someone could recommend? Or could it be just as effective if made without Shea butter? Also when should you do the treatment in your regimen? Before cowashing/shampooing or after? Please someone help!

[…] by Loo of Hair and Health Black Girl with Long Hair […]

Jade
Jade

This was written by someone who apparently is African American. So, once again, I would like to know the proper mix for a Caucasian with very FINE hair. If you know of an appropriate recipe/ratio, please let me know. I have fine/thinning hair and need a natural treatment to make it thicker/fuller. Thank you.

Traci Lee
Traci Lee
Reply to  Jade

Did you notice the site name? Or no? Lol

Ebonndee
Ebonndee

I did the banana treatment last night and my hair absolutely loved it!, I used a very overripe banana (it was pretty much black), dropped it in the blender with the other ingredients and my hair is very soft and bouncy. I was a little scared to do it at first when I saw mention that your curl pattern would loosen, but I twisted and put curl rods in, and my hair is bouncy and very soft, no issues whatsoever. Thanks for the tips!

trackback

[…] So I did a hot oil conditioning treatment with coconut oil and honey. I heated the coconut oil by placing it (in a bowl) over about-to-boil water and added the honey to the heating mixture. I allowed it cool for a bit, before applying it to her hair (section by section, just like relaxer applications are done). We put on her a shower cap and left it on for about 30 minutes. I got this recipe from bglh-marketplace.com […]

Morgan Ash
Morgan Ash

Hello! I have tried the Avocado recipe a few times. While I have not had trouble with pieces (i push the avocado through a very fine mesh strainer), my hair is left VERY oily once it starts drying, after I washed out (of thought i had washed out) the conditioner. While I don’t have too much of an issue with the oils, I do worry that there could be avocado cream still mixed in my hair with those oils- do I have to worry about rotting fruit being left in my hair? Are these conditioners supposed to leave your hair… Read more »

Nisha
Nisha

@ Morgan, I also found that avocado left my hair super oily when i use it on its own. I have now started to combine it in smaller amounts with other ingredients for my conditioner(plain yoghurt, flaxseed gel etc) and find that works better for me. I also use an Acv and tea rinse after conditioning and that seems to lessen the oily feeling.

Morgan Ash
Morgan Ash
Reply to  Nisha

Thank you Nisha! What I am more concerned about moreso than the oily feeling is the raw fruit being stuck in my hair. Is this a concern? Or is it more-so just the oils from the fruit (not so much the meat) that stick to the hair? In other words, if I am seeing green juice on the towel when blotting my hair, is that in indicator that I need to keep rinsing? Oily= ok, Green= all the fruit isnt rinsed out?

David
Reply to  Nisha

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the fuutre and it is time to be happy. I’ve learn this submit and if I may just I desire to recommend you few fascinating things or suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article. I desire to learn even more things approximately it!

Grace

what can subtitute for apple cider vineger,bcos i don’t know what it is and where to find it,help please

trackback

[…] here for the other recipes…here’s a pic of the ingredients I used, nothing fancy […]

Mel Stevens
Mel Stevens

All of these tips are amazing! I personally recommend the pro naturals argan oil hair repair mask =)

healthyhair
healthyhair

Mine is not all natural but who i mixed for said it works perfect and i don’t have a special measurement.

honey
over ripe avocado
Extra virgin olive oil
Nature’s Advantage Honey & Almond Conditioner

A Bald
A Bald

you can also use 1 banana, 2 2tbs of honey, and 1/4 or 1/2 cup of coconut milk. It did wonders to my 3b hair.
check it out on my instagram @aisshaliezle

Michelle Luna
Michelle Luna

Oh my gosh I tried the coco oil and honey combo yesterday and it went terribly! I don’t know if starting off with dry hair was the problem but… First of all the two ingredients just do not want to mix, no matter how warm I got them. So I started just pouring carefully down the length of my hair, starting at chin length (my hair goes just past my butt) and basically only oil came out til I got near the ends of my hair bc the honey kept congealing at the bottom of the cup and the MOMENT… Read more »

knight
knight
Reply to  Michelle Luna

Hi Michelle, It could be a couple of things, #1 you want to make sure your hair is wet and has already been washed #2 you want to make sure the honey is RAW not just organic but pure raw homey (which costs a bit more) #3 make sure the coconut oil is VIRGIN and unrefined as well, you want it to be in it’s purest state. #4 lastly…even though your hair is long, by the looks of your icon picture, it probably absorbs oil much faster than someone with curly hair, you might need less oil as most would…and start… Read more »

Lauren
Lauren
Reply to  Michelle Luna

I hope what I do helps you which is to heat up the mixture for a few seconds either in the microwave or by stove top to get the ingredients to mix together. Careful it can be hot! Doing this has helped soo much, but warning once it begins to cool it hardens and becomes sticky! LOL

Nangamso
Nangamso
Reply to  Michelle Luna

I’m doing this mix for the first time and I wish I’d seen your comment before I put the honey + coconut oil mix in my hair but oh well I’ve done it and I’m now sitting with a sticky gooey head of hair. I hope it will wash out well. I’ve previously used honey in my conditioner and it never gave me any problems. Maybe you should try it like this as well.

Daje Morris
Reply to  Michelle Luna

I know that I’m a year late haha! But for anyone else reading this post, I used the coconut and honey mixture–only I didn’t melt the coconut butter. Coconut butter melts so easily so if its room temperature, its very easy to whip in honey with a small whisk or fork. This is now my go-to deep conditioner. My 4a/4b/4c hair loves it. I also add 10 drops of lavender, 3 drops of ylang ylang I, 1 drop of peppermint and 1 drop of tea tree for a little bit of an extra scent and nutrient boost (not that coconut… Read more »

Rosa Harris
Rosa Harris

My fav homemade mix that I use as a bit of everything — I use it after wash to seal in moisture and also use it as a pre-wash conditioning soak. I also rub small amounts into the scalp daily on the tips of my fingers working it up under the back of my hair. I created it for the problem of extra dry hair and itchy scalp and it works quite well. It makes a very thick oil that stays in place. 2ounces tea tree oil. 3ounces coconut butter 3ounces shea butter all should be 100 percent pure product. Just put… Read more »

Joneitra
Reply to  Rosa Harris

I extra dry skin n hair so im going to try this thank u!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/image-12.jpg[/img]

Earllisha Sanders
Earllisha Sanders
Reply to  Rosa Harris

where do you get the shea butter from, I leave in Japan so it might have to be order online

Charleen
Charleen

I get mine from Ebay its awesome $5.99 per 8 ounce!!

Shanti
Shanti

These look great! I just tried to coconut/honey one, my hair is very damaged. I can’t wait to try the other ones too — how often should you do these? I’m thinking I will probably do all three intermittently — I just wasn’t sure how often they should be done? Thanks so much for posting this!

Anny
Anny

Hi Chinwe,
still trying to comprehend that this is your hair. I started keeping my natural hair about 10months ago but it seem to be really hard. How long have you kept yours and how did you manage to get it to this length? I really do not know what to do right now. I do weave my hair and thread it at times. can you lend an advice?
Thank you.
Anny

[…] 3 easy to make Natural Deep Conditioners for Natural hair […]

Maggie
Maggie

I tried the coconut oil and honey deep conditioner. It worked, but my hair is still a drippy mess even though I washed it out several hours ago. Not sure where I went wrong because I followed the instructions to a T.

Alexis
Alexis

Never posted on here before, but I had to share my experience. I made a version of the banana deep conditioner making small substitutions based on the ingredients I had on hand. I used a banana, olive oil, coconut oil, honey, and aloe vera gel. I coated the stuff on after co-washing and left it on with a shower cap for about 30 minutes. It rinsed out easily and left my hair unbelievably soft, shiny and silky- and detangling has never been easier! I have thick, tightly coiled hair. Never had it typed, but I’m sure it’s in the 4abc… Read more »

trackback

[…] Many thanks to BLACK GIRL LONG HAIR who posted this recipe, link to their recipe can be found here girls […]

Elizabeth Bowers

I’ve tried a few of these treatments with good results, but for some reason I’ve never tried the Avocado deep conditioner! Can’t wait to try it, thankyou.

Louisha
Louisha

Hi! My hair doesn’t really like olive oil can i replace it with another oil like jojoba or coconut oil? Thankx

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Louisha

@Louisha, yes you can substitute with whatever oil you like. Personally my hair doesn’t like olive oil its too heavy and coaty. I’d use jojoba oil in place of it hope that helps 🙂

Krystal
Krystal

These all sound wonderful! My best friend has natural hair and LOVES how it feels when she gets back from a treatment at a salon. I hope to make her some as a gift so she can pamper herself at home. Thanks for the recipes and the tips!

Lex
Lex

If you do the banana deep conditioner BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL TO USE BABY FOOD. I puréed my mix very well yet it still resulted in a NIGHTMARE. Banana bits were stuck in my hair and there WAS NO WAY OF GETTING IT OUT. Personally I just say STAY AWAY FROM THE BANANA!!!!

Jocellyn
Reply to  Lex

I was going on an afternoon date a few years ago and decided I’d do a deep conditioner so my hair would look amazing and touchable. I got outof the shower, wrapped up my hair, and got all ready without looking out at it. My date was going to arrive in 10 minutes so I took down my hair, only to find it FILLED with banana! Haha, needless to say I had to call him and say I was having an emergency and that I’d call him when I was ready. When I saw him I told the story and… Read more »

Pell
Pell
Reply to  Lex

Wait are you saying the baby food still left particles? Or are you saying you used a regular banana; so you recommend using the baby food to avoid it?

JouJou
JouJou

Can I leave the coconut and honey on for a few hours rather than 20 minutes?

Sonja Larsen

#2 is absolutely amazing. I put it in, and then I went to start combing my hair so that it would coat better. Well…my hair was already detangled after just having it in 1–2 minutes. Thanks for sharing Chinwe.

Earllisha Sanders
Earllisha Sanders

For number 3 can you add tea tree oil to the mix, as a little something for the scalp?

Berline Durosier
Berline Durosier

I have a friend who introduced me to using apple cider viniger and water as an conditioner,I don’t know if this website already knows about it but I just started using it last week. However it really works it cleans and clears the scalp extra good all you need to do is mix apple cider vinegar with water any natural oils and pour on your scalp after shampooing . what I do is section my hair and do one section at a time for I can masauge my scalp after you are done shampoo your hair and make sure the… Read more »

Naturalista Nidia
Naturalista Nidia

I swear by apple cider vinegar and recommend using it unfiltered to get the most out of its nutrients. After I clarify my hair with Bragg apple cider vinegar I always moisturize with MicMas Remix scalp treatment. My hair and scalp are the healthiest it’s been in a very long time.

Tahsin Ahmed
Tahsin Ahmed

Is Anyone make these homemade conditioner? Is it harmful for hair?

Naturalista Nidia
Naturalista Nidia
Reply to  Tahsin Ahmed

No, its not harmful for hair. However, if you are using essential oils and are breastfeeding or pregnant you may wanna get the ok from your doctor first before adding essential oils into the mix.

Abnaxus
Abnaxus

It’s so weird that people will trust unpronounceable chemicals in a fancy bottle with a high price tag, but are afraid of all the natural/raw foods around us. We need to trust what grows from the earth over chemicals. I’m gonna make my own mix today. I have dreads down past my rear. I like what’s in Beauty Aura’s pure Castor Oil. (Omega 9s plus antifungicidal properties!). I keep unrefined raw coconut oil for food and non food use. I have apple cider vinegar and olive oil. I will whip something up and see how it goes.

trackback

[…] Homemade conditioner (Avocado, Shea butter, Olive oil and Apple Cider Vinegar) […]

trackback

[…] # 1: Deep condition every week, and no less than twice a month. Check out Black Girl Long Hair for more natural hair care. […]

trackback

[…] Once a month I wash my hair with black soap, then condition it with one of the above conditioners and deep condition with Olive Oil deep conditioner.  You could try to make your own deep conditioners. […]

LovingLife
LovingLife

I’m trying coconut oil, honey, and banana baby food on my sons hair(if I go by hair typing it’s between 3–4). I’m letting it sit while he enjoys his bath. I’ll post an update later for results.

[…] Check out the recipe here. […]

trackback

[…] hair once a week to ensure it remains healthy. For completely natural deep conditioners, consider making your own with just a few ingredients you probably already have on hand. A deep conditioner made from […]

trackback

[…] Depending on the length and thickness of your hair you should adjust the amount. This recipe is curtesy of BlackGirlLongHair. […]

Lolalao
Lolalao

Can you use these weekly ?

Cindy Snyder

I’ve made several versions of these through experimentation. I like the avocado+ voconut oil.Its fun and certainly safer than a buncvh of chemical laden products. Egg white mask is great for tightening pores and honey and turmeric mask for discolorations. And crushed oatmeal as a non irritating face scrub!

Naturalista Nidia
Naturalista Nidia

I use to make my own hair recipes with much success. However, now with two toddlers and a job my life is too busy to make hair recipes. My hair was starting to show the neglect. Now I just buy natural products and order it online instead. My hair loves MicMas Remix scalp treatment and leave in hair cream. These products are a Godsend for this naturalista’s busy life.

trackback

[…] hair healthy and manageable. There are two choices when it comes to deep conditioning. Homemade aka DIY deep conditioners or deep conditioners brought from the store. When choosing between the two, it depends on how dry […]

Dee
Dee

Good morning,
All this information is very useful and important. Some of them I have used but I have realized that I cannot used coconut oil in my hair. One of your suggestions require coconut oil. My question is can I use another oil in substitution???
Thanks for this information and feedback.

trackback

[…] for those who want to prep for a style, read Chinwe‘s article 3 Easy-To-Make Homemade Deep Conditioners for Natural Hair. She breaks them down between Manageability, Detangling and […]

Aba Beatrice
Aba Beatrice

If I strengthen my natural hair will it cause any damage to it, or will that stop it from been natural ?

trackback

[…] of these items can be used on their own or used in home conditioning recipes with other […]