Black Women Take to Twitter to Say #IWillNotApologizeForBeingDarkSkin

Avatar • Nov 7, 2015
Brownie Le @leahsvnchez https://twitter.com/leahsvnchez

Brownie Le @leahsvnchez https://twitter.com/leahsvnchez

We’ve had much dialogue over the issues of colorism within the black community. Some of the experiences have left lasting impressions on how we see ourselves, leaving very little opportunity for acceptance or any type of positive acknowledgment. There have been online social movements such as #BlackOutDay and #InMySkinIWin to help destroy the oppressing conversation of colorism in this year alone. Now, we have another to add to the bunch which celebrates the rich shades of dark skin: #IWillNotApologizeForBeingDarkSkin

The hashtag was created by twitter user Alicia Daniella @keepupwithle who is also the creator of BeautyFromWithin a few days ago. Shortly after its inception, timelines were overflowing with melanin. Take a look at some of our favorite posts from the tag below:

This tweet probably sums up how we all feel about the trending hashtag

Did you participate? Share your selfies below!

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

cryssi
cryssi

Beautiful.…they need to hear that more after being told for so long that there were not or were beautiful in spite of their gorgeous complexion.

We are all beautiful, not in spite of anything, but because we are everything, every shade, every beauty.

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

Beautiful women. How can we not love melanin? It keeps us young looking and wrinkle free, and it’s lushness makes us glow with beauty. Love yourself, don’t worry that the eurocentric world does not see our beauty, believe me they are following us out of the corner of their eyes enviously.

Mark Mcnicholas
Mark Mcnicholas
Reply to  Claudette UK

Sorry ladies, I have no idea how I got on this site, and this discussion. If I may put a point or two on here, I would like to add my tuppense worth. ClaudetteUK how right you are. Black people generally do not age as fast as white folks. I allways thought it was because white people stressed more. That was before I had heard of melenin, and even more before I knew what it is. Anyway, if I may, I have heard this light skin/dark skin discussion over the years, and I am AMAZED it continues now. The lady… Read more »

THOR
THOR

I need one of these #iwillnotapologiseformyanturaladnappyhair

LBell
LBell

I had a lot of insecurities growing up but my dark skin color was not one of them…To this day I experience some form of cognitive dissonance (that’s the professional term, lol) whenever I hear someone disparaging dark skin. It boggles my mind — literally! — that this is still something we are dealing with in the 21st Century.

Mochachick
Mochachick
Reply to  LBell

Exactly LBell. I’ve never had this supposed “issue” I love my brown skin! It almost seems as if we as a race of people are going backwards. My parents’ generation were all about the “Say It Loud; I’m Black and I’m Proud” What happended?

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Mochachick

I’m of that generation — well, I was a kid back then — and as quiet as it’s kept, not everybody was on board the black love (peace and soul) train. I still got teased for my dark skin — and in a school that was integrating, my biggest bullies were other black girls — but it never sunk in to the point where I hated my dark skin. My parents get ALL the credit for that because in OUR house they really believed in “Say It Loud, I’m Black and I’m Proud.” The brainwashing of black folks is really deep…and… Read more »

Ms. A

My mom is really chocolate and I remember her telling me when she was in college people called her “burnt chicken or blackie”. She said its one of the reasons she dropped out. Cruel people feed off negativity to uplift themselves. There’s so much animosity towards darker skinned people and its cowardly and stupid.

Mochachick
Mochachick

Melanin is one of my 3 super powers! (The others are Intelligence and Femininity 🙂 )

Kiri Quokka Crocker
Kiri Quokka Crocker

This is a conversation that needs to happen. Hopefully we will come out of it less ignorant and more loving to ourselves.

LM
LM

Lord when black people love their dark skin …why would you want the skin tone of a piglet? Sows have pink and white texture and tone…black skin doesnt age , we dont need toxic cream on our skin to keep from burning but yet blacks covet white skin and hair… on top of that it does say GOD has hair white like wool it dont say straight hair silk like satin and it says his feet are like bronze the most strongest man in the bible it says he was kissed by the sun which is Solomon, even Moses married a… Read more »

candytripn
candytripn
Reply to  LM

And whites covet super tans, curly hairs straighten their hair and straight hairs curl it >__<

MannimarcotheGod
MannimarcotheGod
Reply to  LM

black skin doesnt age”

Right. Senescence is not real. It is all an imagination, and to prove it, you should respond with the same vitriol that dark-skinned women are respond to.

Your god approves, after all.

MagnoliaGirl Phillips
MagnoliaGirl Phillips

so loving this post. I have always loved my milk chocolate tone and hope everyone loves the skin they’re in regardless of the hue 🙂 this hash tag is FABULOUS!

candytripn
candytripn

Yep… ppl want to ignore the evidence that we all started in the same spot. I swear. this sounds stupid, but we need to discover life outside this planet to finally unite us. Once we find aliens, we can finally unite and start hating on something else rather than each other. (sorry.. just watched Independence Day >_< )

MannimarcotheGod
MannimarcotheGod
Reply to  candytripn

but we need to discover life outside this planet to finally unite us”

Do not underestimate the stupidity of humans.

candytripn
candytripn

Well.. nerd in me has to point out that he sun wasn’t bigger. it was just where you’re ancestors were living at the time (mine lived in the fucking snow [idiots] so I’m pretty pasty 🙁 but I digress)

But you’re right, don’t ever apologize for being the awesome amazing person you are.. Fuck those bigots and idiots who can’t see past their own inbreeding and skin color. It sickens me that this is still an issue today.

EozS
EozS
Reply to  candytripn

MINE TOO. What kind of idiot sees a barren icey wasteland (6–7 months a year, anyway) and goes “YES THIS SEEMS LIKE A NICE PLACE TO LIVE.”

Happywife Taylor
Happywife Taylor

I don’t understand this hashtag. Who said u had to apologize for being dark skinned? If Joe blow doesn’t find u attractive, so what. Joe Keen just may. I may be wrong here but it sounds like this hashtag is showing the insecurity of some dark skinned women.

MannimarcotheGod
MannimarcotheGod

Insecure? No, no my empathetic internet user. They are being ungrateful. “You’re pretty for a dark-skinned girl” is a compliment.

EozS
EozS

You’re pretty for a dark-skinned girl” is NOT a compliment.

Tricia Boahene
Tricia Boahene
Reply to  EozS

I think that was sarcasm. Non-dark skinned people will struggle to understand this hashtag. We(the poor over-melanined) are expected to be grateful for being thrown the bone ‘pretty for a dark skinned girl’. The very essence of this ‘compliment’ is an underlying belief that my melanin makes me automatically unattractive and somehow I have broken the mold by not being ugly beyond belief. It assumes that there is an apology to be had in being dark skinned. And it’s not people just being sensitive, its a real thing that has been happening for centuries.

MannimarcotheGod
MannimarcotheGod

By the way everyone originally came from Africa from black people”

A meaningless fact. A fact supported by genetics and anthropology, yes, but people are too short-lived to care beyond their immediate needs and to think beyond their ideologies.

Apes with nuclear technology. A terrible mix.

Sherron Roberts
Sherron Roberts

My motto is LOVE yourself. If your skin is the color of black, love it and love yourself. If your skin is the color of white, love it and love yourself. If your skin is the color of brown, love it and love yourself. SELF LOVE is the 1 thing everyone needs. Love is greater than hate. I love my brown skin and my melanin because I love myself.

TWA4now
TWA4now

I always admired our many hues in our race. I have family members ranging from passing white to blue black. We are all sooooo.beauty…NEVER FORGET THAT!

trackback

[…] The hashtag was created by twitter user Alicia Daniella @keepupwithle who is also the creator of BeautyFromWithin a few days ago. Shortly after its inception, timelines were overflowing with melanin. Read more and view postings here. […]

trackback

[…] in my list is #IWillNotApologizeForBeingDarkskinned http://bglh-marketplace.com/2015/11/inspiring-photos-from-iwillnotapologizeforbeingdarkskin/ addresses the issue of colorism in our […]

nubian queen528
nubian queen528

black don’t crack
black is beautiful!
Why black women want copy white women? When they want to whish what we have for nature? They aspire to have “MELANIN!”. You black women are beautiful when you hit 30,40,50 and 60 years,why you don’t embrace your blackness?

trackback

[…] although a cultural tide is turning as younger blacks celebrate their dark skin with movements like #iwillnotapologizeforbeingdarkskin, #flexinmycomplexion and […]

Rosalyn Starr
Rosalyn Starr

I have learned to understand that the hatred stems from something else. in order to accomplish this hate toward my skin color. first you must be a thief, you will take/ steal/or rob me of something. second you will lie, to cover up what you have done in order to continue to be a thief. Third you will have to recruit those who lack this knowledge and convience them to aid and assist and offer a proportion of the wealth to them but only enough to keep them LOYAL. ofcourse there were others that aided but not in the full… Read more »

Rosalyn Starr
Rosalyn Starr

I have always looked in the mirror even as a child and marveled about my chocolate color. as early as the age of 5. I knew there was a beautiful mystery for this. I am 45 I walk on the streets and the lights change for me. I am not crazy. I Am Blessed and Devinely Favored! I not only know who I AM but who everyone else is as well the truth.

Rosalyn Starr
Rosalyn Starr

When God created my skin color, trees were bigger, animals were bigger, the sun was bigger and stronger. my color is gift from our creator a protection so i may walk an live with the sun. even gave me a dark color lens to protect my eyes and as my mother gets older i can see the dark color lens deteriate an she now has blue eyes. I could never ever apologize to anyone for my beautiful. It is a badge of HONOR not shame. I wear it proud knowing that I would never have to see those people we… Read more »

Eric Gray
Eric Gray

My sisters have my full support

Monique
Monique

It’s sad that we even have to make posts like this. By the way everyone originally came from Africa from black people
LIFE started in Africa. Melanin is worth alot as well . The darker the berry the sweetier the juice.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

I like reading and being occupied by so much positivity on here.