Sheryl Underwood Reveals Natural Hair and Apologizes for 2013 Anti-Natural Hair On-Air Rant

Avatar • Sep 16, 2015

Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 1.34.23 PM

So, remember a couple of years ago when comedienne, Sheryl Underwood publicly slammed natural hair on popular the CBS daytime talk show, The Talk?

Sidenote: Rewatching that clip just got me all kinds of upset again. Especially, since I keep my son’s little spongy afro curls from his first haircut in my vanity. It’s like she was coming after my baby, y’all. Who talks about the kids? Who?

But I digress. Ms. Underwood, by the grace of all things holy, snatched off her very shiny wig yesterday and issued a live apology for the statements she made regarding afro-textured hair:

What do you all think? Is all forgiven?

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

Nompumelelo
Nompumelelo

Oh! Now that she’s natural she wants to apologise? K.

parc5466
parc5466
Reply to  Nompumelelo

Sometimes being natural can have that affect on you lol! Ms Underwood grew up in a generation where most did not consider one’s natural hair beautiful. This generation is not only demanding acceptance but raising our daughters to love their natural hair and not apologize for it. She said something stupid and hurtful, got schooled and not only went natural herself, but came out on live tv two years later to apologize long after we had moved on. She didn’t have to do that. I am glad she used the platform available to her to do so. It takes a… Read more »

caty
caty
Reply to  Nompumelelo

Exactly like girl byee

Emelle
Emelle

She’s human, she made a mistake and apologised.
I can only respect her for that.

Justice S
Justice S

I am not mad.I thought it was funny.She just didn’t know.I of course would save my baby’s first haircut.I would raise my child to be natural like me.Black women with relaxed hair think a little differently then natural hair women.We can’t get mad at them we simply have to keep them informed.

uhoh-ohno
uhoh-ohno

That was a damn good apology! I say forgive.

Sarita
Sarita

Wow!! At least she was woman enough to apologize for a joke gone wrong. I do not believe there was malicious intent on her part. I was really touched by her sincerity. I think she has a beautiful heart. Let any who has not stumbled cast the first stone. It surely won’t be me! Sometimes we have do as the song says, “Let it go, let it go.”

Rayvdn
Rayvdn
Reply to  Sarita

I couldn’t up vote your so I just say I agree 100%. So many naturals (the author of this article) get so pisssy over every little thing like u said “LET IT GO! Love u Sheryl and your hair!

cryssi
cryssi

I’m glad that she has admitted to her wrong. Forgive and forget.

Tessa Greenaway
Tessa Greenaway

I believe she had self esteem issues on her natural looks so she said those things, but Im happy she’s learning better

Autumn Wwjd Bolling
Autumn Wwjd Bolling

People make mistakes, and I’m really glad that she apologized (better late than never). I forgive her, and I pray she continues on her journey of self evaluation and growth.

LBell
LBell

Co-sign. It was a very mature and well-thought-out response. I don’t watch this show but I hope she’ll wear her natural hair more often. Also, I want that top she’s got on… 🙂

roo08
roo08

We are all learning and changing so I say forgive. Also, she looks younger with her TWA (if she got it cut into a nice shape it would look even better). I wish her luck on her natural hair journey. Being a dark skinned black woman in white-centric, color struck hollywood probably did a number on her. Even before she became known outside the black community, i remember reading nothing but mean comments about her.

SoleilKiss
SoleilKiss
Reply to  roo08

I definitely agree. It’s much easier to go with the flow than to swim against the tide. I’m glad she recognizes the power of the platform she has. She should just ditch the wigs and embraces her beautiful coils!

Chris Noactually Karazin
Chris Noactually Karazin

That was a beautiful apology.

rainbow
rainbow

Apology most accepted!!

Anon
Anon

Am I the only one that doesn’t think her comments about afro hair were mean? I laughed.

HisMercy
HisMercy
Reply to  Anon

Are you serious? There was nothing funny about what she said. If you laughed, you are part of the problem too. smh

Anita McArthur Burgess
Anita McArthur Burgess
Reply to  Anon

It wasn’t a funny joke — what’s funny about saying an entire race’s natural hair is not worth saving because it is not silky and shiny like straight hair. That’s the same thought pattern as all black or brown people are dirty because their skin is not white therefore not clean. If she had said a joke like that, would it have still been funny to you? Maybe you’re not black and maybe that’s why it was funny to you.

NuNu Carter
NuNu Carter
Reply to  Anon

You are not alone! I don’t understand what all the sensitivity is about. She is a comedian who was doing what she does best, TELL JOKES! I listened to her comments a few times, and was not once offended. People need to stop being so sensitive!

Guest
Guest

It was heart felt and she looks so much better with her natural hair, the wigs are a mess!

Mr M
Mr M

Sounds like she is truly trying to Atone for her error. I’m inviting Sister Sheryl to get on the bus, and come to DC on 10.10.15. for the 20th Anniversary of The Million Man March. (Autumn WWJD Bolling, Tessa Greenaway, cryssi, Sarita, uhoh-ohno, Justice S, Emelle, and Nompumelelo you can come too) Peace

uhoh-ohno
uhoh-ohno
Reply to  Mr M

When Sheryl made her initial comments, I was heated! All I could think was, “B*tch, you can’t sit with us (my fierce clique of black naturals)!” but now, after that apology, it’s “Sister, have a seat at our table.”

Mildred Nival-Jeff
Mildred Nival-Jeff
Reply to  uhoh-ohno

Well, I dont think I would go as far as that. Ms. Underwood still has a great deal of explaining to do, not about her hair. but about her politics. For a black woman who makes her money from the black community, but decides that they dont matter when it comes to matters that effect minorities and women, thats where my issues with her lie. She’s a black republican. An oymoron in my opinion. On the one hand she makes apologies for comments about our hair and on the other she votes to keep us in the same conditions that… Read more »

Tre
Tre

I think her apology was genuine and I can see why some would have been offended by her earlier comments, but I think we as “sisters” should be mindful of the plethora of reasons why black women wear wigs and weaves. My hair has been thinning since I was in my 20’s and, aside from my knowledge the fact that I know it’s hereditary, I’ve tried everything — outside extensions — to improve the situation. Many times I think in an effort to point out that others have offended, we ourselves become offensive. My wearing a weave or a wig… Read more »

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Tre

While I agree with most of your statement, I disagree with likening weight loss to wearing weaves. I do not believe them to be the same thing. People can choose to lose weight for health reasons or just for self improvement. Wearing weaves that look nothing like your natural hair is not exactly indicative of self love or self improvement. All races wear extensions but black women tend to wear extensions that look very different from their natural hair. Of course, the historical reason for this isn’t lost on me and it is unfortunate that to this day, some women… Read more »

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

I accept. She look very nice. She really explained herself well.

Happywife Taylor
Happywife Taylor

Apology accepted. She looks a lot better with her natural hair also.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter

I definitely accept her apology. I believe she apologized right after it happened in 2013, but this is very sincere. She didn’t have to bring this back up, but she did and that lets me know that this was something heavy on her heart. I think many Black people have made some sort of disparaging comment about Black people. I know I did before I knew better, but when you know better you do better. I’m proud of Ms. Underwood and happy to have her on television of one the many unique representations of Black women.

Cosita
Cosita

She has apologized before but she did it only on media outlets that target black audiences. Like she said she needed to say it in the same forum. We’re all good now Sheryl. you look so much better without the wigs.

SKEEWEE
SKEEWEE

I didn’t realize that she had made a horribly rude and ignorant comment about Heidi’s kids hair, or Bkack hair in general. I’m glad, however, that she has taken steps to use her platform to not only apologize, but to highlight the beauty of kinky, “nappy”, “beady”, Afro hair. I love each and every one of my naps, kinks, and beads that God gave me, and He loves them too! We are His artwork!

Karen Alexander
Karen Alexander

Two years later u come with a so called apology; and so what u wear ur hair like that 4 the rest of the show,do a whole year and i’ll know ur 4real and sincere.

boazwife
boazwife

She did sincerely apologize immediately after the event.

tracena barnwell
tracena barnwell

I wasn’t aware of her previous statements she made abt black hair, but I’m glad she apologized. Her apology is
accepted .

Mildred Nival-Jeff
Mildred Nival-Jeff

I am not usually a fan of Ms. Underwood (she’s a black republican) or “The Talk”. I am however glad she at the very least made an attempt to correct her mistake and seemed genuinely sorry. Its not surprising that she finds black hair unattractive because many black women do. We spend billions of dollars on fake hair that could very well go to more worthy causes in our community. We make others rich, yet we remain at the bottom of the totem pole. Thats why we must teach our children that what God has given them is good enough… Read more »

Mary
Mary

I’m glad she apologized. I could care less how she wears her hair because that is her business. Too many people try to dictate how others live their lives. And the money we spend could be better used investing and send our children to college.

Ronni Duren
Ronni Duren

@Mildrew ZNival I agree.. Im not surprised at what she said understand the history of african ppl. We have a passed slave mentality and self hate issues about our hair in the black community. The whole good is white ppl hair that has less or a curl not like our nappy hair. vs bad hair our hair. We spend some money on harmful relaxer and weave to look like a white ppl. Then our hair falling out trying to look like something we not. We as race is so colonized by white ppl.

Sandra
Sandra

Cheryl, thank you for the apology. I accept it and I forgive you. Thank you also for teaching me to be humble and to apologize when I hurt someone. You’ve just gained a new fan, even though you are a republican :-).

Aliyah
Aliyah

I forgive her because people change and there is no reason for me to hold a grudge against my black sista . She didn’t know any better and she made a mistake . I am glad she is embracing her natural self and her self love journey . 🙂

Nana M
Nana M

I wonder if she told a joke about the nazi and concentration camp if she would still have a job after that one episode. I don’t think the audience would have been laughing so hard.

Carla
Carla

Forgiven

Brenda Williams
Brenda Williams

I of course forgive her. Her job is to talk a lot and think fast, she made a mistake. I think she has now taken the time to examine herself and learn.

Toselfbetru
Toselfbetru

YES all is forgiven! Who are we to not forgive when we All fall short of the Glory of God.

asha
asha

I forgive her she was sincere.