4 Cheap, Stylish and Comfortable Alternatives to Tampons and Pads

Avatar • Sep 11, 2015

Yes, most of us grew up on pads and tampons. However, there are alternatives that are both eco-friendly and convenient.

Diva Cup

diva-cup

The Diva Cup is probably one of the most talked about alternative methods on the market right now. I’ll admit, figuring out the best way to insert the cup was a bit of a challenge. But once you get it situated, you can wear it for up to 12 hours! One diva cup will last you up to a year of use. Although, many women have claimed to use them for up to 5 years or longer. Think about how many boxes of pads/tampons that is! Also, there are many other brands of cups out there, but I’ve only tried the Diva Cup.

Instead Soft Cup

soft cup

Like the concept of the silicon diva cup, Instead Soft Cups too can be worn for up to 12 hours. However, there is an added “perk.” You can have sex while wearing the  Instead Soft Cup. Personally, I have never tried, but my BFF has and she reports, everything was “all good.”

Washable Pads

lunapads-starter-kit

Think cups are too much and want to stick to pads? Try washable pads. You’ll make the investment once and simply reuse. Brands such as Lunapads create cloth pads that you can wash after use. They typically come in sets of 3 or 7.

Period Panties

Dear Kate

DearKateBillieLookbook-summer1517

This brand has everything from period panties with cute matching bras to high intensity workout sets made with women in mind. But back to their period panties! DearKate panties are designed with a patented leak-proof, moisture-wicking technology that will hold three teaspoons of liquid and replace up to 730 pantyliners per year.

Thinx

THINX

We’ve already covered THINX here but this underwear line remains one of the most popular brands on the market and is already sold out.

Do you use any of the alternative types of period protection? Would you try?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Mea
Mea

I’ve used soft cup since high school and I love it. A bit of a learning curve but it’s been great for the 10+ years. I would wear a liner in case of leaks. I cloth diaper my newborn so I am actually going to transition to cloth pads and liners. Amanda Nix has great YouTube tutorials on how to make them. Can’t wait to start sewing!

Aisha
Aisha

I have used the Diva Cup for about 6 months now and it has seriously changed my life. I wear a liner just to be safe but it really is amazing and stays put if you insert it correctly.

Kayla V.

I’m a cup user! *raises hand* I couldn’t go back to conventional methods now!

toni
toni
Reply to  Kayla V.

I have been over a year now! I’m 27 and wish i knew about this when i started menstruating at 10. never going back to pads!!!

OXxo
OXxo
Reply to  toni

Cups aren’t suitable for girls and teenagers who have just started their period as you are still growing plus the flow changes.

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl
Reply to  OXxo

Not true. They can use smaller cups. Try the small Lunette, or even the Ruby Cup. For each Ruby Cup purchased, one is donated a girl in Africa who doesn’t have the means to purchase sanitary items for her period (and often has to be absent from school during that time).

Mahogany
Mahogany
Reply to  Kayla V.

Same here

Hamwinky
Hamwinky
Reply to  Kayla V.

Lunette in the house!

Antonia
Antonia
Reply to  Kayla V.

How does the Diva Cup work eactly?

Mea
Mea

I meant Amy Nix for the DIY cloth pads on YouTube.

zenxen
zenxen

I use a Blossom Cup (similar to and less expensive than the Diva cup). As long as it’s placed correctly it’s perfect!

LBell
LBell

There are probably videos on this but: it’s basically a cup that catches the blood. You fold the cup to insert it, and you pull on the stem (I always had to twist mine a bit first) to take it out. You then empty it, wipe or rinse it off, and put it back in. Just as with tampons, if it’s inserted correctly you won’t feel it and you shouldn’t experience any leaks but it’s a good idea to wear a liner just in case. I used the Diva Cup off and on for a few years after my fibroid… Read more »

Kayla V.
Reply to  LBell

Diva cups don’t hold as much as other brands. They’re kind of narrow. My lady cup large holds much more.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  LBell

Thanks for sharing..i have fibroids too…try the Softcups it might be a better fit for you. Let us KNOW.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  TWA4now

Fortunately I have reached that age where the periods are fewer and farther between…and it is glorious. Absolutely GLORIOUS. 🙂

LittleBabyBug Jones
LittleBabyBug Jones

i’m pregnant now, and don’t anticipate another period for another year and some change, but i plan on looking into the washable pads and the diva cup. thanks for this!

Angie
Angie

I, personally, prefer the natural brands. I like the chlorine & fragrance free, organic cotton pads and tampons. The tampons come without an applicator which is really nice. Natracare is a great brand and its affordable.

I’m not shutting out Diva Cups though.…can’t knock it, till i try it!

TWA4now
TWA4now

I have fibroids and I’m tired of using Depends! After reading this article, I tried the Softcups disposable! The insertion part wasn’t bad and no leaks but use a panty liner anyway. I had to “fish” for it to take it out but found it, a, bit messy but tampons can be too. I HAVE to get use to them but I like them!!! 🙂

BGLHRinny
BGLHRinny
Reply to  TWA4now

Yay!!!! I’m glad you gave the Softcups a try! They changed the game for me when I initially started out using them and I haven’t looked back since. If you decide to try the diva cup, it’s less “messy.”

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  BGLHRinny

Thank you so much! I really wanted to try the diva cup, but I couldn’t find them at my local stores here. I will have to buy it online soon.

shay lanay
shay lanay

I cant get with the idea of a period cup. Its not for me but the other stuff is an interesting idea

MalagasyGirl
MalagasyGirl
Reply to  shay lanay

i dont get how it can stay in place

OXxo
OXxo
Reply to  MalagasyGirl

Same way tampons stay in place.

The Darling Kinkshamer
The Darling Kinkshamer
Reply to  OXxo

Mine moved up and down, it’s important to get one that doesn’t hurt and fits well. Diva cups are often too large for pre-vaginal birth and virginal women. I no longer use mine because it leaked and hurt to use.

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl
Reply to  MalagasyGirl

It forms a seal around your cervix.

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl

I have been using a Lunette cup for a year and it is the TRUTH! I use a liner as backup, but I will never go back to pads & tampons.

The Darling Kinkshamer
The Darling Kinkshamer

I use period panties and cloth pads, along with ob tampons but menstrual cups do not work for women with vaginismus at all(They are painful to use). I used my lunette for 4 periods worth before giving up. I found my cheaper period panties for the last few days on amazon for $25.

Nicole
Nicole

Thank you for this post! I’ve tried Diva but don’t like it much. I want to try the cloth pads.

nina
nina

i tried the soft cup and i hate it. it was a terrible mess

krokan
krokan

I as all excited about an awesome alternative to pads and tampons at an affordable budget until I got to those last two items :C/ Soooo $34–36 minimum PER pair is considered cheap and affordable? What tax bracket does this website think their average readers are in? Ivanka Trumps? Smdh