Brandy: ‘I Would Loc My Hair If I Wasn’t an Actress’

Avatar • Aug 3, 2015
Brandy rocking faux locs

Brandy rocking faux locs

We’ve enjoyed wtaching Brandy rock various natural styles, but who knew her love of locs was this deep! In an interview with Essence.com, the 36-year-old beauty spoke excitedly about the natural hair movement and her desire to loc;

ESSENCE.com: I’ve noticed that you’ve worn afros and different big or curly styles.
Brandy: That’s one of my favorite styles, is the big curly hair and the braids. I love braids, and twists, and I love the natural expression, that’s my thing. If it were left up to me, I would actually loc my hair, but I’m an actress too, so I have to be versatile. If it were left up to me, I would do the locs.

ESSENCE.com: Really, why is that?
Brandy: Because I think it’s so beautiful. It’s just a part of who I am. I’ve been wearing braids for years now. That’s what I first came on the scene, with braids. I just feel pretty in braids, and pretty in the natural stuff, it just makes me feel more like myself. I love it on other people. I love seeing it on other people. They look so beautiful to me when I see it on other people.

ESSENCE.com: Do you think braids and locs bring out your beauty in ways that an afro can’t?
Brandy: Yes, I do. It feels more natural, it feels more like me. The whole natural movement, it’s just different. It just feels like inner beauty is coming to the surface and it just comes out through your eyes, and face, and hair. That’s what it feels like.

The singer and actress also spoke about her love of black hair color;

ESSENCE.com: You said that you like wearing black. Why is that?
Brandy: I think my mom put it in my head [long ago] that black hair really brings out my features. Like my cheekbones and my Asian eyes features. She put that in my head, so I stuck with that.

ESSENCE.com: So no red or blue, or blonde, huh?
Brandy: No, no, no! I’m not doing red and blue.

Who knew?! Ladies, what are your thoughts?

kia
kia

last movie i seen her in was that Cinderella movie…

Brandy, you sang on a subway and folks didn’t even know who you were nor did they care. Just loc it girl.

alt-K
alt-K
Reply to  kia

I couldn’t agree with you more! LOL. I’ve never been a fan of Brandy. I don’t know what it is about her, but I’m just not feeling whatever it is.
Loc it up, girl!

Camille
Camille
Reply to  kia

I think the braids/locs look have always been her best style. It makes her face stand out more than the other styles.

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl

She could lock if she wanted to and just wear wigs. Or work with dreadlocks.

Patrice Ellis
Patrice Ellis

Brandi… you have African eyes… slanted eyes are a feature of many Africans who have no Asian ancestors. We need to educate ourselves. We didn’t get our high cheekbones from Europe, our eyes from Asia, our lips from fillers. We were beautifully made and we have no other race to thank for it.

Truth Hurts
Truth Hurts

She could still loc.…& rock wigs like she has been for roles. But side bar what happened to her hair line? Maybe she should loc…

Christina J

I think that’s wonderful Brandy shows her love for all kinds of natural hair. She shows pride in black hair and I love that. I love all her braided styles to big, curly fro. I think locs would look very beautiful on her!

Guest
Guest

Love her! Go Brandy.

MeriW

I loved Brandy’s braids in the 90s. She was an inspiration. Locs are actually very versatile. I’d love to give Brandy a consultation on her options someday.

Myllee
Myllee

Her Asian eyes???? Many Africans have eyes like that and high cheekbones. Anyway, I love Brandy but I have no idea she was now an actress; also she wears wigs most of the times, what’s the deal.

clever_moniker
Reply to  Myllee

I was just coming here to say this. She should have stuck with almond-shaped as a descriptor or even epicanthic. I cringe when I hear nonsense like that.

felicia
felicia

I always see alot of beautiful locs, Wale’s are cute too me right now.