First Annual Festival to Celebrate Black Love Held in San Francisco + 10 Pictures from The Event

Avatar • Jul 20, 2015

Using love as a form of liberation” is the tagline of blacklovefestival and, if photos from the event held in San Francisco on July 18 are any indication, it is living up to the mission. Black people of all hues joined forces to celebrate the love they have for each other and their shared culture.

The deeper goal of the movement, is “calling for international recognition of the importance of self-care, self-healing, respect for one another and collective efficacy in the black community.” Especially in light of the challenging times blacks are currently going through, with the #blacklivesmatter movement pushing for justice and a new order in the face of police brutality.

tumblr_inline_nn67j2XQAn1tplwgb_500

On the event’s GoFundMe page, the organization explains its long-term goals;

Black Love Festival has made a commitment to sustainable community building and innovative organizing practices to preserve the diversity and cultural balance of the local environment. We aim to create a space for students and residents of the Bay Area and beyond to transform art into a discussion about leveraging social capital to affect positive change, peace and unity

Pictures from the event are absolutely beautiful. Check it out;

Beautiful.

We are familiar with all the challenges black men and women have in embracing each other and, at times, embracing their culture, so a festival dedicated to the unapologetic embrace of all things black is deeply wonderful.

Ladies, what are your thoughts on this festival?

givemeabreak
givemeabreak

hmmm, idk…shouldn’t just be automatically…Ijdk

joyhuntress
joyhuntress

Tabatha, if you had attended, you’d have seen people of all races in attendance! It was pure magic. Black love is not divisive, it is radical, it is beautiful, and if our country weren’t so mired in white supremacy it wouldn’t even jar someone to see the words “Black” and “love” next to each other.

roo08
roo08

i date interracially and still think this is awesome and cute! very much needed. Not everything has to focus on everyone at the same time and if a person feels alienated, i think it’s projecting. It’s like a black couple going to loving day and feeling alienated because interracial couples are being celebrated (which rarely happens nowadays) but it’s not about them in that instance and that is OK.

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly
Reply to  roo08

This…

NativeNuYorker
NativeNuYorker

Black love seems to be diminishing throughout the country. I think we need that event in every city. For those that claim that it alienates bi-racial couples, well I guess that’s the point. We see so many bi-racial couples that our young children and teens think that black females and males don’t and can’t love each other. I’m happily married and I’m wondering if black love is now rare.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  NativeNuYorker

It needs to be a world wide event.

givemeabreak
givemeabreak

I was thinking the same thing, why isn’t BLACK love automatic…

blackberrypie
blackberrypie

i think the ‘love’ is in reference to not just romantic love, but platonic love and also just love for being black and black people in general.

Leah James
Leah James

Love seeing black love and the community finally coming together . Black love is a threat to white supremacy . It is the greatest love of all and very radical . Oh and fuck you stupid ass bed wenches you will fall with white supremacy .

Leah James
Leah James

I will definitely be attending with my crush who is a black king . I just love black men . Nothing better .

lis
lis
Reply to  Leah James

This is a black MALE@leahjames…Note I said male, not man…and note he is trying to use psychology but he is too dumb to pull it off .…@his second statement.

That is all.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

Seriously. SMH

Tabatha
Tabatha

Well that’s all well and good, but it really alienates black people who found love with other ethnic groups. I would rather go to a black gathering that shows how loving we are in general. How color and what not isn’t an issue for us. It looked like a good time though, but I wouldn’t attend.

Mr Wright
Mr Wright
Reply to  Tabatha

I think you missed the point sis. The theme was “black love” not swirling, interracial bed warming, tragic arrangements or any other foolishness. The other types of so called relationships have their festival and no one complains. So why when black people do or create something we always have to include everybody. Not feeling that #Blackloveisarevolutionaryact

omfg
omfg
Reply to  Tabatha

i don’t discourage black women from interracial dating. in fact, i’m a proponent. but i don’t see anything wrong with promoting “black love” in this way.

AlwaysBlossom
AlwaysBlossom
Reply to  Tabatha

Well that’s all well and good, but it really alienates black people who found love with other ethnic groups.’

that’s the point

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  Tabatha

The “Black Love” festival was about Black people unity. I have no idea Black people sharing their culture and unity was alienating Black people in an interracial relationship.Some you are too much.

On screen I'm Nifa Dean
On screen I'm Nifa Dean
Reply to  Tabatha

I see where you’re coming from, especially with so many interracial relationships being a reality in our times. However, I would say this: a recent poetry performance went viral, on the topic of black men not supporting black women, and even perpetuating the harmful stereotypes that society presents about black women. This “distressed in the head” syndrome that is evident with some black men, young in particular, is what makes this event in SF Bay Area necessary. Black love is not just a cause for celebration for the sake of it, but because internalised racist notions, racism that affects black… Read more »

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Tabatha

Maybe you should start your own event then. I FULLY support this one regardless of who I end up with because Black love is NEVER celebrated in the public sphere and Black couples are never viewed as romantic or affectionate. I am, thus, 100% behind any movement that tries to address these fallacies.

Me
Me
Reply to  Tabatha

Your comment reminds me of the “alllivesmatter” hashtag that was started in response to the “blacklivesmatter” hashtag. As is the case with any ethnic group, any interracial daters who want to see their relationships represented with a festival should create one for that purpose. The existence of a black love festival does not take away anything from other types of love, and this festival shouldn’t have to cater to other types of love to make anyone feel good. Black love is not synonymous with anti interracial love, so it’s unfair to ask for this festival to be anything other than… Read more »

alt-K
alt-K

Very nice! Looks like a cool event with plenty of cool people!

Cheri
Cheri

This happened in the SF Bay Area? I live out here, how in the heck did I miss this? The presence of Black unity is much needed out here. I’m sad that I didn’t know about this function.

Mary
Mary

Now is that necessary in 2015.…..

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  Mary

The same way it is necessarry to have places ( magazines, Blogs, movies etc…) focused on Black people.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

I shared it on Google +. That is so sweet and I was spellbound at how many women are natural down there. I like the photo of the woman with the facial african make up on her.

Dee
Dee

Now, if we can only get a black singles meet up…sigh…

omfg
omfg

i suspect that the women significantly outnumbered the men. in the group pictures they do. i believe men typically outnumber women in the bay area.

k.h.
k.h.

?that one guy with the dreads lol. But all these pictures were so beautiful.

AlwaysBlossom
AlwaysBlossom

Welp, I love it!

lis
lis

I spy a few white women at this black love festival.…but admittedly I am cynical and distrusting.…I like the looks of the ladies.…I wonder who put this together.….Black women no doubt.…

Myllee
Myllee

Wow at some of the comments, a festival meant to show unity, self love etc … among Black people is seen as a bad thing because some of you are in an interracial relationship WTF. In that case some of you can’t be on a website such as this one since it doesn’t include your female friends who are not Black.

Twinkle
Twinkle

I am a little upset that the word didn’t get out to all of us! Although I no longer live in Cali..I’m all about black love and my man and I would have loved to be in attendance!

fay_jay
fay_jay

I don’t know if I missed it scanning the article, but there has been a black love festival in DC for at least 15 years.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

So positive and so beautiful

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

For those feeling slightly salty about the event because they are in an interracial relationship, go to a Loving Day festival and get over yourselves. Can we focus on black love without having IR issues steal the spotlight? This isn’t elementary school kickball where everyone has to be included and made to feel special. Not everything is inclusive of everyone, and that’s okay. However, no matter who one chooses to date, everyone should be able to see the value in having events like this in the black community. Being in an interracial relationship and promoting cohesion in the black community… Read more »

Cassa Blanca
Cassa Blanca

Welp @ all the thirsty sympathy comments. This is about blk love. No one excluded you…