Vogue Magazine Declares North West a Natural Hair Icon, Totally Ignores Blue Ivy

Avatar • Jun 18, 2015

north-west-ballet-bun

The good hair/bad hair divide is still alive and Vogue’s recent piece on North West’s hair makes that abundantly clear.

North West, the adorable offspring of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, turned two on June 15 and Vogue dedicated an article to her many hair looks. The piece, entitled How North West’s Curly Styles Are Inspiring a Generation of Natural Hair Girls provides tutorials for four of North’s styles…

Whether a top bun or a comb-over, North’s pint-sized hair styles complement her fashion-forward play clothes, while remaining refreshingly easy and age-appropriate. They’ve established little Nori as a kind of hair icon for a nascent and diverse generation of tots rocking their natural curls with unprecedented flair—among them, my two-year-old niece, Isabel.”

Now a couple things; this article was written by a black woman, Marjon Carlos, and she was specifically referencing how North’s bi-racial heritage serves as style inspiration for her own bi-racial niece. Despite this, the piece is troubling for its glaring omissions.

Whether deliberately or not, Carlos seems to conflate bi-raciality and looser curls with natural hair, effectively erasing the black community that built the natural movement and created the very terminology she uses in her piece. It’s an issue we hear about too often; the ‘covergirls’ of the natural hair movement are loose-curled beauties, while those who built and sustain it — many of whom have tight curls — are deemed unfit to represent it visually.

And why is there no reference to Blue Ivy, the celebrity offspring whose hair has inspired countless think pieces, memes and even petitions. Whose every bun, twist and afro puff is fastidiously documented. Whose mother, a global mega-star, refuses to subject her daughter to the same standard of hair ‘acceptability’ that she is judged by. To name North West a generational “hair icon” while ignoring Blue Ivy is to reveal a clear bias towards a looser texture of hair.

blue-ivy-ballerina-bun-ffn-ftr

Even if you take Blue Ivy out of the picture, there are many high profile black and bi-racial girls, many with tight curl patterns, who are inspiring the up-and-coming generation of naturalistas including Riley Curry, Willow Smith, Yara Shahidi, Amandla Stenberg, Zendaya Coleman, Skai Jackson, Aoki and Ming Lee Simmons, Cali Dream, Genesis Davis and the list goes on.

And you know black Twitter had a lot to say about this…

Ladies, what are your thoughts on all this?

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

They say ish like this to start the frenzy they done it before with kendall corn rows

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Philly Jawn

Sadly, I have to agree with you. What do I think of this article? I think it’s a signal that I need to go on a media fast to regain some clarity and stability.

Rose
Rose
Reply to  LBell

Lol, “media fast”–this is something we all need in life.

Phoxxie
Phoxxie

Thats the dumbest ish I ever heard in my life. If anything, neither one of them should be natural hair ICONS. They are babies!!! But if we are going to boldly go there, then it should be Blue Ivy. The writer is extremely biased. First they didnt want anything to do with the Kardashians, now they are kissing their asses.

Elsie 59
Elsie 59

Seriously? Couldn’t you find another child of a black celebrity couple to hold up as a natural hair icon rather than Blue Ivy? You diminish your argument by choosing parents whose haircare practices of their child has been questionable. Although lately they’ve been doing a better job.

Shame On You
Shame On You
Reply to  Elsie 59

You are SICK

AliceUsagi
AliceUsagi
Reply to  Elsie 59

The girl hair looks natural. Her hair is just like mine, no matter how many times you brush it or comb it, it still looks messy.

Twinkle
Twinkle

Honestly neither one of them are icons of any sort..they’re just little girls trying to live their lives. Sheesh!

Twinkle
Twinkle

Honestly I don’t think either one of them are icons..they’re just little girls trying to live their lives.

sakurabi456
sakurabi456
Reply to  Twinkle

I agree. When I saw this I was like, they’re just kids is it really something we want to debate about?

octavia
octavia
Reply to  sakurabi456

Exactly, and then some of these adults have the nerve to pretty much attack these children for being themselves.…

Nikita Monique
Nikita Monique
Reply to  sakurabi456

Here, here!

teppuM
teppuM
Reply to  Twinkle

My thoughts exactly. I am loathe to see all the “look at my natural baby” pictures, these days, because it’s starting to feel like a Texas toddler pageant. Little kids shoved into the spotlight, little kids who really aren’t concerned about their hair and aren’t making any active choices of their own, and adults either lift them up o rip them to shreds. I think it’s unhealthy. And it’s not just Blue Ivy and North West — there are lots of natural children being “sold” as “natural hair icons” for a future generation, mostly by their parents who chuck their… Read more »

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

it could be a racial thing, or it coud be that some people don’t like the way Blue’s hair is done We’ve heard plenty about that even from blacks. I think as long as her hair is done and moisturized, it s fine, but at 3years old, letting a black girl who likes to roam free have LOOSE hair has its consequences. She won’t keep it neat. They can braid or bun it biweekly to make it look neat. But f you leave it loose, she’s a just a kid who’ll spoil it, unlike us adults. Not that that’s bad,… Read more »

wellthen
wellthen

As soon as I saw this article I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. Natural hair people are so damn sensitive. Basically, this article “author can’t write about North West’s natural hair without writing one about blue ivy first”. You’re just further helping with the segregation among naturals. You think they’re discriminating among kinkier hair textures but now you are discriminating those with losser hair texture.

FreeTea
FreeTea
Reply to  wellthen

They ARE discriminating against kinkier textures, and thus upholding White supremacy.

Looser textures have always been more accepted by mass media platforms, and this is where the ire stems from. Not saying that there aren’t some elements of the natural community that discriminate against looser textures (I certainly do if they’re “3A” or looser), but by and large, looser textured hair is elevated above kinkier textured hair almost everywhere.

Asphedal
Asphedal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! The black community honestly gets on my nerves sometimes!! Lets just all unite and embrace ourselves with all different colors, curls, kinks, and coils. We really have to show support for each other. Its good that North gets this recognition. Its a start! No need to start going on and on about how she doesn’t deserve this because she is not black enough. Just stop it people. We need to come together in these dark times. One of the most amazing things (well the way it used to be), was that unlike other races, we are very… Read more »

Imade Iyamu
Reply to  Asphedal

Why were we always ‘welcoming’ to people who looked the least like us? Why were people with straighter hair and lighter skins automatically pushed to the top of those who didn’t? Can’t you see that no other race rewards those with less of their features the way we do? No, you cannot have the closest thing to White features and raised among White people and be touted as representing Black people. It’s insulting.

teppuM
teppuM
Reply to  Imade Iyamu

YES!!!!!!!!! We are so happy and willing to give accolades and awards and adoration to people who do not represent the overwhelming majority of us. It reflects a cultural state of mind in which our own features are still looked down upon, and anyone with anything BUT our features is automatically worth celebrating. It’s a type of insidious culture-wide self-hate, and I don’t understand it. Especially in the natural hair world. But it’s no wonder — brands for naturals still mostly showcase women with type 3 hair. Maaaybe a 4a like Naptural85. Natural hair groups, boards, and meet-ups will still celebrate… Read more »

The Darling Kinkshamer
The Darling Kinkshamer
Reply to  Imade Iyamu

Actually, that’s not quite true. Asians without mono eyelids and large round eyes are praised for their beauty, it’s the same with pale skin in all Asian cultures. In Bollywood notice how pale the women are compared to the everyday Indian women who are very brown, just as brown as most African-Americans are.

J
J
Reply to  Asphedal

Personally I don’t disagree with the article because she is mixed. I disagree because I actually do think Blue Ivy would have been a better choice all around. Her hair has been at the center of many discussions and debates. So for me when I think of a natural hair icon for children she’s who automatically comes to my mind.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  J

But many blacks don’t agree on her, that’s the problem. Unfortunately, you’d probably find more ogling North’s hair.

Black Swan
Black Swan
Reply to  Asphedal

God bless you miss.i agree with you. This plave stinks of hatred. coz I rili dondon’t see hw Blue Ivy is being sidelined. Must she always be mentioned wenever NW is mentioned? There has been so many times Blue has been discussed without NW. I mean, dem chi’ren leave dem alone.

starapple
starapple

I actually think that both Blue and North can be “representatives” for natural hair. Maybe they ignored Blue, because they saw how members of the black community severely criticized her natural hair; maybe they learned it from some of us.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  starapple

What I was saying.

JUSTNOTTOOBLACK/NAPPY
JUSTNOTTOOBLACK/NAPPY
Reply to  starapple

AMEN!!!! That is exactly what I thought when I first glimpsed at this article. It wasn’t white ppl starting petitions against Blue’s hair or criticizing Beyoncé for Blues appearance it was Black man and women. Even team natural sisters complained about her “dry” “unkepted” hair . I was so shocked. now blue has a thick head of beautiful afro hair. WE TEACH THE WORLD HOW TO TREAT US. Black women said her hair was a mess and the world was watching and agreed. we cant get upset. On a side note, North is barely 2 but she “inspired” my 14… Read more »

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon

EXACTLY

Sue
Sue

It’s not the first time, it started with the corn rows, back in the day, with Bo, Derek .black women have been waring corn rows since the beginning of time, Bo Derek got corn rows, and that’s what the media call it. The Bo Derek hair style. The media has been doing this all along, they Did it with Jay Lo and her butt, our lips, were to full, our skin is to dark. When they do the things that are natural to us only then is it beautiful . All the things going on in the world today with race. This is… Read more »

FreeTea
FreeTea
Reply to  Sue

Thank you. It disgusts me that so-called members of the natural hair community are trying to pretend that this type of thing isn’t an issue. I detest when people claim that we’re being “too sensitive”.

cheerfulmind
cheerfulmind
Reply to  Sue

Well Marc Jacobs DID just invent the Bantu Knot last week…

NoTime4Bimbos
NoTime4Bimbos

I’m Biracial and I have the same hair type as North West’s. Although this is North West’s hair in it’s natural form, I honestly don’t consider her hair “natural” as far as we know “natural hair” to be. She does have nice hair and it has always looked great. Blue Ivy hasn’t gotten a lot of compliments due to the way (or lack of) her hair had looked for awhile. However, if I were to vote on a child being a, “Natural Hair Icon” I would definitely choose Blue. Just because you see curls on North West’s hair, doesn’t mean… Read more »

Lis
Lis
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

What is your definition of “natural”?

octavia
octavia
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

Natural is not having chemicals in the hair to change texture, which NW doesn’t have. They are both nautral and truth be told, natural hair comes in every type, straight, wavy, curly, or kinky. You don’t have to have 4c hair to be natural. The whole problem is that first, our community tends to think of looser curls as better and then get made when a big publication like “Vogue” praises it too. I’ve always like Blue’s hair and always found it funny when people on this very forum complained constantly about Beyonce not doing anything to her hair. We… Read more »

NoTime4Bimbos
NoTime4Bimbos
Reply to  octavia

Let me clarify. I was referring to a “natural” look i.e. Afro, not the actual texture of her hair. I know that NW’s hair is in it’s natural state. Duh. Either way her hair is absolutely gorgeous. I digress.….…

I timda taht I saw tsuj derob
I timda taht I saw tsuj derob
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

How is North’s hair not natural? It grew out of her scalp that way. I hope you’re not saying that only type 4Cs can be natural because that’s ridiculous.

Dee
Dee

Well, Lets remember that it was Black Women who were adamant that Blue’s hair was not “tamed“because her momma would let her walk around in a fro.…meanwhile, aside from that slick bun North wears, her “curly” hair was praised by many black women for being “so cute”. Housekeeping anyone?

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Dee

Exactly, blacks should support and compliment Blue first, before they hypocritically expect others too. I love her hair.

Chel
Chel
Reply to  Dee

So true, the change needs to happen with us first. Black women need to be conscious when commenting on hair types because often, and unknowingly, texture discrimination happens.

teppuM
teppuM
Reply to  Dee

So true.

Maia
Maia

It’s not that North being recognized is upsetting. It’s that Blue Ivy, who has a tighter curl pattern, was criticized for doing the same thing that North is doing; Wearing their hair natural. It implies that looser patterned curls are better than tighter ones.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

I want to backhand the black chick that wrote this article. Nonetheless shes irrelevant. BUT…can we take a moment to drool over how cute Beyoncé’s little sister is. She and blue would make a phenomenal natural hair baby team 🙂

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Now you know you are shady for this sis LOL

Public_Programming
Public_Programming
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Now she’s an adorable natural.

LittleBabyBug Jones
LittleBabyBug Jones
Reply to  Ms. Vee

beyonce’s little sister? who is this child? she’s cute, but I didn’t know beyonce had a little sister O.o

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

Here we go again…concerning ourselves with mainstream trash. We all know that the light, bright, silky, and shiny are lusted after by mindless masses, and Vogue is going to continue to do its job of catering to them. North fits that mold more than Blu. Sad and stupid, but we all know it’s true. Neither their choice of her nor their assertion that she is a natural hair icon surprise me. I’m more shocked that anyone even reads that trash to begin with. We need to appreciate and promote ourselves, and stop waiting for those who look nothing like us to… Read more »

Janet Holmes
Janet Holmes
Reply to  Hair Anomaly

Best damn comment

Reply to  Hair Anomaly

Not all know it’s true! The ignorant on here seem confused as to why North is praised while Blue is given the side eye

Andrea Walton
Andrea Walton

I don’t know that natural hair is really a movement. I’m bi-racial and I’ve never had anything other than my natural hair. I’m not inspired by Black women or White women or any other race when it comes to my hair. I do what works for my curls and I try a bajillion things until I find something I love on me. I love that more & more people are embracing their natural hair & I think it’s beautiful. I think tighter curls are just as beautiful as my looser curls. Main stream media steals fads & credits them to… Read more »

teppuM
teppuM
Reply to  Andrea Walton

It is absolutely a movement. Most of us don’t have big loose curls that are social acceptable. We have tight kinks and coils, we have “naps” that have been permed out and burned off and demonized for hundreds of years. Hair that mainstream media and convention still deems “unkempt” or “unprofessional” even if it’s pulled back. The military JUST recently moved to accept natural hairstyles like locs or braids for women. Black women in the military either had to relax their hair, or keep it cut short. Most of us have not always had our natural hair. Most of us got… Read more »

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon
Reply to  teppuM

You’re absolutely right ! I grew up in those old days when there was good hair & bad hair & people actually told their kids to marry light so their kids could have good hair.. Light skin & good hair were highly valued til the 60s & 70s. I remember ..and wore..a huge afro in the 70s & am glad to see natural hair coming back in a big way. HOWEVER ! There is still a fair amount of texture discrimination & it’s changed from good hair vs bad hair to type 3 defined curls vs type 4 kinks &… Read more »

LittleBabyBug Jones
LittleBabyBug Jones
Reply to  Andrea Walton

basically, let’s just have one big kum-bah-yah moment, right?

Nikita Monique
Nikita Monique

Re Blue’s hair: Respectfully, I don’t think that most members of the Black community were criticizing Blue’s hair because it was natural. On the contrary they were upset, albeit personally O‑ffended, that a Black mother would have her hair coiffed to the nines & not “run a comb through” her own child’s beautiful, natural hair. People were in shock! We all know that in Black culture our hair has always been our “crown and glory” whether it’s natural, braided, permed, pressed, locked, short, long, etc. You’re expected to take care of it with the respect and honor it deserves. Or at… Read more »

Sarel
Sarel
Reply to  Nikita Monique

Or at the very least, do something to it before going out in public.”

Peace Nikita,

I’m sorry, but that line simply made me cringe.….

So, my natural, “black ass hair”, peacefully growing out of my head just the way it is, is too unpleasant/unsightly/radical/wild/unruly/unkempt/wrong etc for public consumption? Yet another thing on my black body that needs to be “fixed” before being deemed presentable? Why is that? What’s the narrative here? It’s troubling.

xyz
xyz
Reply to  Nikita Monique

Her crown was just fine. different strokes for different folks.

Veda
Veda

Both children are adorable and both just children. North had a mom that threw her into the media circus before she was even born. Beyonce and Jay Z obviously wanted privacy regarding their child only recently having close up full pics and videos of Blue Ivy. That is one reporter’s opinion, BGLH is a powerful platform, if you want Blue Ivy to have the same popularity, you have the power to do it providing as many pics of her are actually released.

Justmythoughts
Justmythoughts

Here we go again!!! The article was comparing her bi-racial niece to North West. Blue Ivy to our knowledge is not biracial. Why are we so quick to talk about divisions instead of embracing that both of these mothers have chosen to celebrate their daughters natural textures? Big deal if one’s hair texture is different from the next. Stop making things ALWAYS about race and just appreciate the fact that little girls of color are being acknowledged for their individual beauty.

Reply to  Justmythoughts

Are you biracial is that why you don’t understand why North Wests hair is socially acceptable while Blues hair is not?

Sarel
Sarel

Why are we celebrating babies as icons?? We are worshipping toddlers. What is happening here? They’re barely out of diapers.

Sinead
Sinead
Reply to  Sarel

Thank you. These are CHILDREN they can barely count for Petes Sake!

Mo
Mo

I was just thinking to myself that given the commendable progress that sources like this blog and others have made in increasing awareness and encouragement for the appreciation of black hair and other aspects of black heritage and culture in the Americas, maybe its time to come up with our own means of validation rather than depend on publications like Vogue to provide those acknowledgements. These publications have their specific target audiences that perhaps are more comfortable with a biracial example of black hair. We have our own publications, blogs and writers who represent ALL aspects of the African diaspora.… Read more »

Cathy0001
Cathy0001

some of us grew up wanting “Tracey Ross Ellis” hair. Now your kids will grow up wanting “North West” hair instead of “Blue Ivy” hair. That’s progress for ya.

Public_Programming
Public_Programming

I’m not surprised. Black women just need to remain relentless in using the power of social media to call this foolishness out. Mags like Vogue, Cosmo, etc. are ran by people who have a social agenda in mind. Don’t forget Dove stole the Love Your Curls campaign from the Natural Hair community as well. We know who the real creators are. GTFOH..

BlackBombshell
BlackBombshell

Sorry, this whole write-up is dumb and reach in it is even dumber. It’s very clear to me that since the writer is a writer for Vogue that she would have people on her short-list that are “friends” of Vogue when it comes to subjects to write about. North West was on the cover, and on an inside spread/editorial, for Vogue when she was still a months-old baby. Same for North’s solitary cover for CRFashion Book. North attended her father’s (VERY successful) NYFW debut sitting alongside Anna Wintour in the front row. North also attended other couture designers’ NYFW presentations… Read more »

Issac Abrams
Issac Abrams
Reply to  BlackBombshell

Kanye probably paid for this ludicrous article. He’s always exalting himself, so of course he’s going to exalt his daughter

Minimalassembly.tumblr
Reply to  BlackBombshell

North is adorable, hair fashion and everything. However, the suggestion that there was a shortlist of subjects to write about does not account for why someone like, Blu Ivy for example, was not mentioned. Blu Ivy has not graced the cover of Vogue with her parents or the [just launched] 2015 Kids Vogue, but her mother was featured on the cover of Vogue’s 2013 power issue, Alone. Blu Ivy’s style has also been featured in Glamour, INStyle, and she has her own Lookbook in NYMag. Her hair also happens to have been discussed and re-discussed so it is odd that… Read more »

Justmythoughts
Justmythoughts

No, I am a brown-skin black woman with natural hair. If I were to engage in hair-typing I’d say I’m 3C/4A. Ha. Do you see the silliness in all of this? Who said Blue Ivy’s hair is not ‘socially acceptable’? And acceptable by whom? To my knowledge it was Black women complaining about how Beyonce needed to ‘comb that child’s hair’. Now we want to be up in arms about them showcasing North.

Reply to  Justmythoughts

That’s still considered socially acceptable. 3s are socially acceptable and so is 4a but once you get to 4B AND 4C HAIR THAN. People will start to tell you to comb your hair and tell you to get a relaxer and call you nappy. ONCE you begin to digest that than you understand why this topic is being discussed in the first place.

Nikita Monique
Nikita Monique

Exactly, xyz. Personally, I agree. I’ve been natural my entire life & my children are natural. I believe in low to no manipulation of the hair as well…but that’s me. Other people feel differently & I can respect that.

Ladylanita
Ladylanita

I wouldn’t take this write up seriously. Somebody needed to have something to say. To a white person with straight hair, being she’s part black, they probably think they’re using the right jargon. I must add, she’s just a child to me at this stage. I don’t think neither here nor there of her or more or less than anyone else’s child. And side note: Black people need to get better at picking their battles. We put too much energy into policing, which robs our productivity. We bring a lot of innovation to the western world through our culture. They… Read more »

Imade Iyamu

oh, well then I shouldn’t have said ‘only race’ since other races too are conforming to the Eurocentric standard. I should have just said we should stop pushing that standard on ourselves, which was my point essentially.

Diamond Jones
Diamond Jones

I love both little girls,however people has bashed blue ivy and said beyonce was a bad mother for not doing her hair. But now that north is in the picture and her mother is a professional tramp her daughters hair is somewhat natural? Well i think both girls hair is natural,however this comes off as a money scheme for vogue, and the only reason that is,is because people already said blu ivy hair was bad so why publish her. And it just goes to show how this world works. Blu ivy is all black and hair will always be the… Read more »

Epiphany Stone
Epiphany Stone

Why does everyone have to turn this into a race issue? I like Beyonce’s music and all but Blue Ivy is just not that cute. She didn’t get her mom’s looks and is the spitting image of Jay Z. Say what you want, he may have swag but he is not a handsome man. The same thing happened to Bobbi Cristina. She didn’t get Whitney’s looks and looked just like Bobby. North is pretty that is all Vogue is about. Trust me if she looked like Kanye no one would be talking about her.

Tyra Frank
Tyra Frank
Reply to  Epiphany Stone

You are an idiot. What do looks have to do with anything? And these are children you’re talking about, numbnut

Janessa Brown
Janessa Brown

Not shocking mixed race women are taking over to replace black women and the more black you look the less valuable you are.

cheerfulmind
cheerfulmind

My hair is admittedly more like NW but I’m one who vocally didn’t like the condition of Blue’s hair as it did not seem to be nicely moisturized or styled a year back. Or rather not as nicely as I’d expect given the resources of her parents and their awareness of the media’s photo snapping. Notably, the old-fashioned black American in me expects little girls to be puffed, twisted & braided (except perhaps for church or special occasions) and sees hair fully out as something for grown women. So no, I didn’t like Blue’s early looks. Culturally, I’m not built… Read more »

bellovely
bellovely

The author wants attention, Let’s us all do our best Anne Dewintur impression. And ignore the article the way she ignored Kim? shades on, carry on.

tiffwill1994
tiffwill1994

This is entirely black folks fault. The moment Blue Ivy’s hair grew three inches black folks, young and old, began dragging her through the mud. Women who had zero edges (cough cough Tamar) even had something negative to say about her hair but then North West was born and there was silence. No petition, nobody telling Kim to do her hair, nothing. So why do black folks expect white folks and other blacks to aknowledge black hair like North’s when we constantly bash it?

AliceUsagi
AliceUsagi

It’s a freakin’ toddler. The obsession over celebrities, especially over their kids is beyond pathetic.

darklady
darklady

I think the black community should ignore white women who pass for black women while declaring false!Because for them it is just another source of profit

Janet Holmes
Janet Holmes

Vogue..REALLY..nuff said

Daniella
Daniella

Um Hold Up! This was written for Nori’s second bday. Tell me how the hell Blue Ivy get into this? Nori turned 2 on June 15, let the child have her spot light. Yall need something to do instead of always looking for something wrong in everything yall see. & Nori’s hair Is just as natural as everybody else that does not have chemicals in it!!

Nilotes Love
Nilotes Love

Stop paying attention to white people and everything they do focus only on black and brown for now then yellow and red just excluded the devil ( anything white) from your life yes it will be hard but it’s more than necessary.

Minimalassembly.tumblr

Before North West, there was Quvenzhane Wallis, the youngest ever OSCAR nominee for best actress. She sported a lion’s mane of golden coils IN the movie she was nominated for. There was also Thandie Newton’s biracial daughters Ripley and Nico, the youngest having a tightly coiled blonde afro. Thandie wrote a well publicized Huffington post piece in 2012 on embracing her own biracial natural hair for her daughters. Then there was Heidi Klum’s biracial daughter with Seal, Lou Sulola who has a thick head of beautiful tight curls. Finally, there is rising young bi-racial actress Ashley Aufderheide who was featured… Read more »

BlackGirlShortHair
BlackGirlShortHair

Guys wait a min. Must we always compare North West and Blue Ivy? Vogue mentioned North West and they didn’t compare her to blue Ivy. Let’s not create Unhealthy competition between this two beautiful babies. If we think Blue Ivy is cute let’s say it and if we think North West is beautiful, let’s say it and not compare them. And yes, I do believe North West is a natural, atleast BGLH has made us understand that natural ranges from @least 3a‑c to 4a‑c. One love sistas.

The Darling Kinkshamer
The Darling Kinkshamer

Racism a la Colorism in action. Also even Blue Ivy appears to have 4A hair, which is a looser texture. This is one reason why I generally disregard the media and celebrity gossip, it is negative towards black people.