It’s Insulting”: Loc’ed Naturals Speak Out Against the Faux Locs Trend

Avatar • Jun 1, 2015

It’s no secret that faux locs are one of the trendiest protective styles out right now for naturals. The look has appeared on celebrities like Ciara, Jhene Aiko, Meagan Good and Teyana Taylor. The look gained major coverage when young starlet Zendaya Coleman wore them on the red carpet at the Oscars only to be insulted by Giuliana Rancic of E! Fashion Police. With the natural-inspired protective style gaining so much notoriety, one would think most naturals would pretty much be on board. Well, not really…

Youtuber Keisha Charmaine posed the question: “How do we feel about the faux locs trend?” after noticing many loc instagram accounts condemned the style. Charmaine concluded the reason for the opposition is because the loc journey is one of time, dedication and effort and to an extent, wearers of faux locs are “cheating” the process. Watch her video below:

Other loc’ed commenters followed up with similar dissenting remarks.

I don’t like fake locs. Period. We don’t need recognition who cares about that. Fake locs are kinda disrespectful to the culture and lifestyle of locs. I don’t like them and it’s annoying to see all these fake locs around.

Some commenters weren’t bothered.

I’d rather see them wear fake locs as opposed to the silky straight hair weaves. Imitation is flattering in my eyes.

Some praised the growing trend of faux locs to increase visibility of the Loc community

I personally don’t have a problem with faux locks. it’s a great way for people that may not be ready to loc their own hair to get an idea of what it’s like to have locs. It may help them make a decision to loc their own hair later down the line. Even if they don’t it will make a good protective style. 🙂

Some even went on to bring up the point of how locs were first created by Rastafarian and later co-opted into mainstream culture.

it is neither here nor there for me.. hair is hair and people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their hair.. dont understand why people with locs would want to feel offended because a lot of the persons have locs but are not rastafarians which is where this whole loc thing was originated.. so let us be free to express ourselves using our hair whether false or not. i remember when rastas felt offended when persons had locs and was not of the faith. let us not pass the same judgement on to ppl with faux locs.

The other day we posted 20 Stunning Photos of Black Women Rocking Faux Locs and many of our readers took us to task on the Black Girl Long Hair Facebook page:

Please consider renaming this group to black girls with long fake hair. I really thought/hoped this group would be geared towards natural hair.

and

I can only speak for myself when I say this. I do not like the faux locs as a person who has natural locs and to see people that want the locs and don’t go through the journey of starting the locs it diminishes the experience and journey. If you want a protective style get braids or twist. That’s what I did til I felt like I was ready to embrace the lifestyle of having locs. Everyone is different this is my opinion

and

I’m sorry, but faux locs make NO SENSE AT ALL!!!!! This is a style that all backs can achieve naturally! Fake hair is not needed, yet black men/women are too lazy to grow out their own hair? Curious about dreads, then go to Spencers and buy a Bob Marley dread hat! Can’t the fake horse hair die out? Damn!

Some of ya’ll were a bit more reassuring:

If it looks good on you, ROCK IT! I’ve been natural FOR 33 years of my life and I’ve worn locs for ten years, Afros, buzz cuts, faux locs, braided extensions and whatever the hell else I feel like wearing. It’s the depth of the person and not the exterior appearance or hairstyle. IJS

Sound off! How do you feel about faux locs? Protective style or just perpetrating?

Guest
Guest

This is a stupid debate. We as black women have always had fun with our hair (extensions,weaves, locs, twists, braids…) so to think going natural would stifle this is ridiculous. It is simply a natural/protective HAIR STYLE (one of many beautiful ones), not a lifestyle. So for those complaining about faux locs not being in the “culture and lifestyle” get over it.

As one commentator pointed out–Rastafarians felt the same way when locs started to go mainstream, so unless you’re a rasta–you have no room to talk about faux locs and it’s “disrespect” of your real ones.

Kellee
Kellee

Love Lauryn Hill and India Arie…both allegedly had fake locs. Let us not be hypocrites. I, myself, would not get them. However, some do look very nice. As someone else said, it is better than silky straight weave. They’ll realize how unnecessary it is at some point and perhaps they will dive in for real. Baby steps. As Che Guevara said, “All propaganda has its limits…”

Aliyah
Aliyah
Reply to  Kellee

Lauryn Hill had real dreadlocks not fake also Indie Arie did too . They both cut their hair and started all over again .

Spirit
Spirit

Those who are offended need to get them some business I’m so over mofo’s always trying to tell someone how wear or how not to wear my hair. What I do and what I put in my hair is my damn business if you have a problem with it shove that problem up our ass and rotate on that bitch!!!

TivoliEclipse
TivoliEclipse
Reply to  Spirit

Freudian Slip! “…shove that problem up our ass… Hahahaha

anononymous
anononymous
Reply to  TivoliEclipse

omg your comment made me bust out laughing. 😛

TivoliEclipse
TivoliEclipse
Reply to  anononymous

LOL

Guest 2
Guest 2

I’m annoyed by the fact that black people continue to fight each other down. For the love of Ghandi, why can’t we just mind our own damn business and stop being offended by what other people do with their hair?

april Guscott
april Guscott
Reply to  Guest 2

Jess
Jess

So, I should buy all the sponges on the market so people can’t get curls like mine!? I should also try to get butt implants outlawed. It is what it is… I learned to change my feelings toward it, now I feel too cool that others wanna look like me.

Lele Love
Lele Love

I completely understand what you’re saying and specifically agree with your first sentence. I’m not at all upset about the faux loc trend, but from this perspective I can understand why some are. I do hope that the faux loc trend leads to more acceptance for real locs.

awesome
awesome

Wow, why do so many care about what others do. Why must you judge, don’t you have anything better going on in your life, if not you need to check yourself. You would not allow anyone to tell you what you could or could not do with your hair or money, so what makes you think you have to right to tell anyone else what they can or can’t do.

TivoliEclipse
TivoliEclipse

Show your love for locs!!!! Bring that evolutionary b&*%$#. First imposters want hair like white girls, now they want hair like black girls! Hahahaha.

TivoliEclipse
TivoliEclipse

Nice. “…There is power in your hair… not your weave.” That is true. Each of my locs have their own “personality” — but they are my girls. My locs are just like me! On fleek… perfection perfection perfection!

april Guscott
april Guscott

People are crazy. Telling women what they can and can’t do to their hair? This is a problem. I don’t see anything disrespectful about faux locs to the journey of real locs. As stated in the article most women wearing locs don’t subscrible to the religion in which it was originated and that I feel is appropriation. This is just ridiculous.

LBell
LBell

I started my locs with small two-strand twists and maintained them via infrequent latching (interlocking). They ended up being very lightweight (lots of “swang”), thin (not as thin as Sisterlocks, but thin) and relatively manicured-looking. I got so many side-eyes from freeform and not-as-manicured loc wearers…people would talk about “the nod” but I only ever got side-eyes. I can laugh about it now — I got rid of my locs in 2007 — but back then I was like…what is the big deal? At least they’re real! lol What’s being said about faux locs can also be said for weave, wigs,… Read more »

anononymous
anononymous
Reply to  LBell

It’s funny how you can’t please everyone, and sometimes it seems you can’t please anyone! I had less manicured locks and was approached by an older black woman that was a complete stranger, mind ya, who told me I needed to have my locs done by a professional and “fixed”. lol. I actually wasn’t opposed because I was DIY and having a hard time maintaining them myself, but it was pretty rude.

Yurilyte
Yurilyte

This is a style that all [blacks] can achieve naturally! Fake hair is not needed, yet black men/women are too lazy to grow out their own hair?”

This person missed the mark. The appeal of faux locs as opposed to real ones is the versatility and the fact that you easily just take them out! Has nothing to do with being too lazy to grow ones own hair out, more to do with not wanting to commit to the look. Nothing wrong with that.

Aldene911
Aldene911

Let me see one person even TRY to tell me how to wear my hair. Just try. Hair is hair…do whatever you want to do with it.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Aldene911

I read this in my African accent and I’m dying here. I completely lost it @ just try.

Regina
Regina

I think it’s interesting how ppl are offended because they say the process of growing locks is part of the journey. Well, isn’t the journey a very individual thing? What’s included in one person’s journey isn’t part of someone else’s. Let be true to WE are as individuals and not assert our beliefs on others. Love is my religion.

dropstep
dropstep

I have free form locs. I’m not offended by anyone else’s hair style choice. I’m just confused at the principal of “faux” locs. “Faux” meaning fake and ‘Locs” symbolizing natural/real. It just seems like a huge contradiction.

Ebby
Ebby
Reply to  dropstep

I agree. I notice with many of the faux locs the textures are outrageously fake glossy and shiny as if they are supposed to look fake or like dolly hair. They in no way look natural. I wear locs my self andceven caucasion or asian hair doesnt look like that when locd. Prehaps that is part of the look, like fake breasts very obvious, this is very confusing.

caty
caty
Reply to  Ebby

Its the hair that we use. We aren’t making the hair glossy, the synthetic hair is already glossy. Sooooo yeah.

cheryl
cheryl

I hate natural hair weaves also I’m getting tired trying to figure out if a persons hair is real or not! To have that crap plague the natural community is insulting to all the women who painstakingly grew out their hair!

lissa_the_cocoa
lissa_the_cocoa
Reply to  cheryl

Why do you feel a need to know whether someone’s hair is real or not? That’s really not any of your business.

Myllee
Myllee
Reply to  cheryl

I am guessing this was meant to be sarcastic lol!

Kim
Kim
Reply to  cheryl

Y would u want to figure out if someone’s hair is real or not? Should it really be that important to u?

Golden Brown
Golden Brown

I heard that Aldene! I agree. It’s a bit ridiculous.

Rashida Prattis
Rashida Prattis

The comments here are surprisingly insensitive. I personally can’t take one side, because I understand both. I was raised Rasta. My mother has worn locs for over 20 years, so I got to observe first hand the work involved in maintaining the hairstyle, and the side eyes she got by having natural thick locs. I haven’t tried this faux locs trend as of yet, but have worn braid extensions because the versatility of having long hair one week and short the next was fun and it was right for me. That said, in my opinion, the language people have used in… Read more »

Myllee
Myllee

Rastafarians did NOT invent locks for the love of god, this hairstyle has been around for centuries in Africa.

Rashida Prattis
Rashida Prattis
Reply to  Myllee

I brought up Rastas only to point out that they rocked the style before it was trendy and suffered a lot of consequences for wearing locs. I didn’t mean to insinuate that it was invented by Rastas.

However, the term dreadlocks were created specifically to alienate Rastas who wore locs from society, including black communities that (at that time) wanted to assimilate into white culture. Many jobs wouldn’t hire someone with locs. Acceptance of our natural hair from society is something we modern naturals sometimes take for granted, especially when we flippantly use statements like “hair is hair”

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Myllee

Thank you! I keep reading this nonsense everywhere. Like, for crying out loud, human hair will naturally loc up without comb and has been doing so since the beginning of time. Locs weren’t invented. Combs were. SMH.

Bre
Bre

As a person that has tried faux locs but also tries to respect the journey and experience of other people I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Cosita
Cosita

What is the difference between this and people wearing curly crochet braids or braid extencions. My mom wore a big afro wig back in the day because her texture didn’t give her the voume. The only thing I can see irking me would be if I had long locs and people making stupid comments assuming mine were fake. But I don’t have locs and I still get the” where did you buy your hair” questions because weave is so popular. I have a friend who was asked how many bundles she had in of weave and was told she was… Read more »

Topazi
Topazi

What I’m curious about is how do these people, who are opposed to faux locs because it ‘cheats’ the journey of growing it on your own, feel about the people who have real locs that they bought or received from another person. Also I think this is something that totally doesn’t have to be a big deal. Natural hair women are already being told by outsiders that we shouldn’t wear out hair in formal or office settings, we don’t need to be restricting each other within our own community.. that’s more insulting to me.

M. Adams
M. Adams
Reply to  Topazi

EXACTLY!

davetrafleary
davetrafleary
Reply to  Topazi

Amen

Kesi Young
Kesi Young
Reply to  Topazi

Real talk

Amethyst
Amethyst

Who cares what others do to thier hair? It’s their hair and I feel that anybody can do whatever they want with their hair. People need to stop telling others what to do with thier hair. I think faux locs have a lot of advantages. To be honest, I much rather have faux locs than the real ones. That’s just my opinion though.

Tashi Pinkney
Tashi Pinkney

I feel like these women who have issues with faux locs have a little too much time on their hands. Seriously who cares? I’m rocking Yarn wraps right now.

Tashi Pinkney
Tashi Pinkney

lol Right, it took me three days

bronzedoll
bronzedoll

This is sad lol. So if Rastafarian people are getting mad at black people for wearing extensions that are similar to their hair, this means white people, Indians, Spanish, etc women should be upset at the black women who wear straight wigs, weaves, etc. they should be mad at Madame cj walker for trying to make us like them. Lol. But now certain black people are offended because people are rocking a style that we didn’t grow ourselves? Hahahahaha Lol. Getting offended just makes you a hot mess. I say wear what you want. If it’s real and people ask,… Read more »

caty
caty

Well I had faux locs so I kinda don’t see the big deal but kinda do. The people who do these looks are simply saying “I like this hairstyle, but I don’t want to commit to this full time. I can recreate this though!” We aren’t saying that your locs aren’t any less worthy or beautiful. Like stop, it’s a protective style! Do you get upset at naturals with box braids? Weaves? Okay & if you do why? I have a weave now, doesn’t make me any less natural. I’m protecting my hair from the harsh Texas heat & my… Read more »

Jasmine
Jasmine

Insulting? Oh shut the front door. I love the look of faux locs but I will never, I mean EVER, committ to getting my real hair loc’ed. I like my loose hair. I like to wear it curly, straight, braided, twisted, etc. They need to stop being so sensitive. This is just stupid and silly. Sure we could loc our hair for the look but the point is, we don’t want it permanently.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

BYE GIRL. BYE

Dani
Dani

They’re right, it’s insulting!!! In fact. I’m insulted every time I see someone rocking a braidout that makes their hair look like my natural curl. How DARE they fake that hair texture. ::side eye::

davetrafleary
davetrafleary
Reply to  Dani

Lol I’m sensing sarcasm

Deekay
Deekay
Reply to  Dani

Women wear braidouts for length and less knots / tangles — not to make their hair look like your “natural curl”. Either way it’s still their real hair. Natural hair is very versatile. Your comment has nothing to do with the article. I would understand the joke if you replaced “braidout” with weave.

Lovie Love
Lovie Love
Reply to  Dani

I don’t know anyone that wears braidout or twistout because theyre trying to look like anyone else…so you think any hair style thats already been worn can’t be worn by someone else, because they’d be “faking” it? You’re insulted every time you see someone with hair like yours? Honestly you shouldn’t say that out loud unless you want to be concieved as conceited or immature.

niga jael jal na ga
niga jael jal na ga

Oh come off it, you guys are wearing it as a STYLE. Not all of you are crying “Jah Bless” or meditating in gratitude when you return home after a day out.

Corelle Perry
Corelle Perry

So um…ok.…wasn’t it a few months ago that we were all rooting for Zendaya wearing faux locs at the Oscars vs. Giliana Rancic? Talk about irony! I know a lot of loc wearers and I personally love locs. I was contemplating getting them but then I remembered how impatient I am! So now we as black women need another reason to shame and crush each other?!? Our hair is a part of who we are and yes it is unique and sometimes that can be taken for granted or way too seriously. I am just grateful that I live in… Read more »

disqus_l5AKLiKBqN
disqus_l5AKLiKBqN

1. No one knows who invented locs. I’m willing to guess the style is as old as DIRT! 2. Peoples from Africa, Asia, the Middle East, the Pacific, South America, Europe have worn locs of some fashion in their long history. 3. Not everyone believes in a god, nor every loc wearer goes through a ‘journey’ (FYI, neither is a requirement for what boils down to a hairstyle). 4. How many have been natural since birth? Never worn extensions? Always use lavender buds and aloe pulp for hair? STOP the righteous condemnation! 5. The same critics cry foul the loudest when… Read more »

aunaturale
aunaturale

…so the trend does not take away from the integrity of beautifully grown out locs.”
.…you got that right sister;-)

Jai
Jai

Silly. IDGAD what anyone does to THEIR hair or body. Psssh.….I’m worrying about doing my best to take care of my own shit. LMAO! Stress kills, people!

Nikki Smith
Nikki Smith

SOUNDOFF: 8 months ago I cut my locs of 17 YEARS…and I don’t have a problem (Nor should Anyone ELSE) with people having FAUX locs!!!! They have the RIGHT to try it to see if they LIKE it or NOT! who am I to judge? Not everyone WANTS to commit to growin their hair out in that manner for years… I now have a sew-in in my hair…why? Because I’m CRAFTY…an expert in “needle crafts” (mom was a beautician and dad repairs hand-crafted expensive persian rugs) and I wanted to do my hair that way…and guess what…people LOVE it too–despite… Read more »

Aliyah
Aliyah

I did not know many black woman with real dreadlocks had a problem with faux locs . I feel they can’t judge or say anything because dreadlocks started from Rastifarians and many aren’t Rastifarians . Also I didn’t know black men wore faux locs as well ? I mean I don’t see black woman with natural REAL big curly or kinky Afros getting offended when other black woman wear FAKE big kinky or curly Afro weave or wigs !

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Aliyah

Ummm, locs did NOT start with Rastafarians. Locs are as old as the human race. Combs are a more recent invention so how do you think most human hair was back then? Loc’d up!

Aliyah
Aliyah

I see a lot of sistas wear my hair type 3c/4a natural weaves and wigs but I don’t get offended because it’s their hair journey and none of my business .

Daniel Pasadena
Daniel Pasadena

People should Stop that black on black hatred !
It aint that serious!

Kim Patterson

Why is this an argument? My god, not everyone can grow real dreads quickly or have the time to do all the twisting and upkeep required. Some black people have very thick, coily hair that is beautiful for fairly easy lock growing and some have finer hair with a mixture of coils and waves that defies styling in general and requires enduring a terribly awkward phase of frizzy uncooperative finger coils before locking up properly and looking more together. For someone like me who loves how locks look and can’t deal with the “messy phase”, faux locks would be a… Read more »

Suki
Suki

As someone who’s scared of the commitment of dreadlocks at the moment and the “wearer ” of faux locs, I don’t get what the anger is about. They give me the best protection of all the protective styles, and I’m not about to hate them because someone else has a problem with it. Having faux locs gave me aa greater appreciation of real locs. People are so angry for no reason.

Chel
Chel

This is like getting mad that a relaxed individual is wearing natural-textured weaves to see if they want to go natural or to not commit to natural hair. Why would I care that I spent 5 years to get long natural hair versus someone who took only hours to get their “faux” natural hair? Why should someone’s fake hair undermine the journey I had with my real hair? Their weave installation has nothing to do with me. As long the faux loc-hair community does not try to embed themselves into the ACTUAL loc-haired community, I see no problem.

TRUTH
TRUTH

People are so ignorant. Why is there so much ranting about hair period? People have the right to wear their hair the way they want? Why does anyone else’s opinion about it matter? so stupid…this argy=ument this stupid.. and people who make rash opinions about how black women “should“wear their “own” hair are “simple” come up people there is more to life than “hair” or “faux locs”

Lady B
Lady B

Deary me,there are far more important topics for “us” to be stressing over other than “you can not wear faux locs, etc”, this in fighting with us is why our entire Race of human is seen as a joke. I have just braided my hair, took me over 24 hours over two days, there was no way I was paying up to £450 at a hair salon. I adore my natural hair, however I also like to mix things up,I do not straighten my hair but have no issue if others wish too,I am not interested in Eurocentric weaves again others are… Read more »

Lady B
Lady B

Me again, apologies if my words seem intense, I am just fed up of us always picking fault with one another. I wonder if the *real* locs women actually over-stand that while they are berating their sisters other groups of people are reading and chuckling to themselves while muttering “Boy,Willy Lynch system sure worked” We should be sticking together no matter skin tone, hair type, body shape,etc, each and Every one of us are Empresses. Back to faux locs;-) I can not imagine tying them up into a high ponytail/beehive just yet as I did locs my hair fairly tight, I… Read more »

November
November
Reply to  Lady B

…Willy Lynch…” Teach!

Lala
Lala

I think people are being way too sensitive about everything. It’s literally like saying we can’t wear weave or box braids unless we grow it naturally. I think that people should just wear their hair in a way that makes them happy.

Chris
Chris

Not everyone views hair as some spiritual Dalai Lama type thing, for some of us its just about aesthetics.

Atypically Normal
Atypically Normal

I guess you’re not to good at detecting sarcasm.

KayDiva Yoceph
KayDiva Yoceph

I feel the same way I hate seeing people with fake ras, it took me 2 yrs of care to get this length of hair which is on my back. feels like they cheated , that they are not brave enough to commit to it. It is very rare to see fake ras in my country, alot of people use it to start their ras and then cut it off when it gets length which is understandable. But hey thats my opinion on ras it is not just a hairstyle but a way of life for some of us.

Kookie
Kookie
Reply to  KayDiva Yoceph

The hair style is called dreadlocks, Rastafarian (Ras) is a belief, a way of life, something similar to a religion but is not a religion, I am Jamaican and several of my uncles are Ras, so you keep saying fake ras, you mean fake locks because they are not fake ras. Rastafarian is more than locks. Their locks were inspired by the Nazarites. If you are a real Rastafarian, then you should take offense to not just the fake locks, but to all the people with real locks who are not Rastas like yourself. To the people who have no… Read more »

HoneyRose
HoneyRose
Reply to  KayDiva Yoceph

Before my second big chop I had three years of growth and shoulder length kinks. Many women wear kinky curly wigs to achieve the same look. Why should I care whether they do? It does not diminish the work or care that I put into my hair — which, by the way, is meaningless. Growing my hair is not an accomplishment; it’s something my body would do with or without my help.

Chloe Coleman
Chloe Coleman

“Locs are a journey” girl…ALL natural hair is a journey. I didn’t just wake up with a giant afro but women wearing afro wigs is no big deal. “Cheating the process” sorry no I won’t commit years to a style I don’t even know will look good on me and risk having to completely shave my head and start from day one or spend hours picking them out which sounds damaging. Its apart of black culture so as long as black people are doing it I don’t see how its appropriative. People wear weaves and fake hair all the time… Read more »

November
November

Donald Trump may possibly be our next President — we don’t have time to concern ourselves with “real” or “faux” locs.

But, for those who are “offended”, how seriously do you take your locs? Are you aligned with or been initiated as an Indian Sadhu? Or a Rastafarian? No? Then go and sit down. Most black American women are wearing locs as a hair style trend — it’s easy and they can grow their hair long. Let these young girls alone and allow them to express themselves freely and confidently.

Yasmine
Yasmine

Personally I don’t see a problem with faux locs. For me wearing them is anothet way for me to embrace being natural but also to show the world that the my natural roots should be acceptable in any setting especially the working world. It’s more insulting to me for someone with locs to say oh I can’t stand faux locs because people are going through the journey. Guess what everyone can’t experience that journey. Take me for instance I’m wearing faux locs as a protective style because I have alopecia ( which is hereditary hair loss). So for me in… Read more »

Chocolate swirl
Chocolate swirl

I’m getting faux locs next week and I really do wish any hater will die. Who are u to tell me what to do with my hair? Lmao! #locwarriors

Eboni
Eboni

Smh. Ppl really ought to find something else to fight against. So the real shit going down in our world and we are more opinionated about a hairstyle than things that are affecting are today and tomorrow, really? Wet need to find a way that binds is together geesh.

Justina
Justina

Actually, locks were not started by Rastafarians, it originated in Africa centuries before they popularised it in mainstream media. Just wanted to point that out.

TheChocolateLady
TheChocolateLady

No idea why people are upset about this but like everything else, you can’t please everybody. I never considered locks until I saw this style and how it was done. I will be getting it done soon.

MercyMe
MercyMe

I feel like this would be much less of a big deal if real locs got half as much love as faux locs did. I mean, I can only name two loced bloggers (Chescaleigh and LocRocker) and one of them cut hers off. It’s surprisingly difficult to find locs advice geared toward black women (Googled dreadlocks and you get stuff for straight hair, google locs and I get way too much stuff about loose hair), so if I finally find black women with locs in the spotlight, and those locs are FAKE, I can see where the frustration comes from.

Jai
Jai
Reply to  MercyMe

I dislike the fact that it’s a trend. Some faux locs look nice and all but I prefer to not see so many people wearing it because it’s not for everyone. I feel like some females are just trying to get what’s “hot” now. I don’t really feel offended by it. I feel proud that mine are real though

Lele Love
Lele Love

As a naturally loc’d woman, I don’t really have a problem with faux locs. For one thing, I feel that people should be able to do what they please with their hair. But I do hope that naturally grown locs become more understood and accepted. I don’t really like the look of faux locs, though. If fake hair is going to be used, then I prefer braids or twists.

Lisa
Lisa

So… this is ridiculous to me. That’s not her real hair color, but she’s upset that people aren’t wearing real locs.

If she were for upset for spiritual/cultural reasons I would understand, however she’s basically saying I’m insulting her real locs by not truly locing my hair.

Must faux locs look like hair wrapping to me anyway, which you can get done with one or a few parts of your hair. I wish everyone would stop being so sensitive.

Shan
Shan

Seriously get over yourselves ?. It’s just a hairstyle for people who wear faux lox and it’s not anything they’re trying to commit to other that it just being a cute do.

Sagittarius Jones
Sagittarius Jones

Who cares what someone else has to say about how I wear my hair.. Not I… So whatever.

tristan morris
tristan morris

People always have the need to feel exclusive and special. No one put a stamp on locs. They go back to africa everyone’s hair does it. Even unintentionally if I don’t manage my hair soon enough it will loc. Why do we always have to take surface things deeper than they have to be. It’s hair the end.

Lauryn
Lauryn

This is ridiculous, it’s like saying you shouldn’t wear straight weave or curly weave because it should only be on people who went through having straight hair or curly hair. Should we be offended by everything? It doesn’t diminish anyone’s experience, it shows how much we actually embrace the style, and how beautiful we think it is. Not everyone is ready and willing to loc their hair just like not everyone is ready to go natural or get a relaxer but we find that it is beautifully done. Dont be so sensitive towards everything, if we do that then no… Read more »

deRHEA211
deRHEA211

You don’t hear people with curly hair complaining about curly wigs or all the different methods people use to get curly hair or girls wit short hair complaining about 16 pieces . So what is the problem with faux locs?The time it takes to put them in is pure dedication. I’m sure people who wear them understand the time and dedication it takes to grow locs and maintain them. Some people are not ready to commit to locs or admire the style.As long as the person with them are not claiming them as real I feel like there should be… Read more »

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

Honestly it’s not that serious. I’ve had locs for 7 years and really don’t take issue with faux locs. As one commentator said, better the faux locs than imitation other races hair. To a large extent I inderstand that more credit should be given to the person with real locs. However to take offense to faux locs being worn is silly. Lastly if having fake locs is offensive shouldn’t fake Afros be offensive too? What about the wearing of extended double stranded twists? I’m not hearing a whole lot of complaints in that arena. I prefer the real deal, but if a… Read more »

Mary
Mary

Too sensitive!!!

Leigh
Leigh

IMO it’s not something worth getting upset about. I have HL natural hair that is APL curly. Am I upset when I see people with HL weaves or an APL crochet style? No! Live and let live.

kp314
kp314

I am sad that this is even an issue…as if we are not divided enough…

Rini
Rini

Ok, so wait, now we’re getting angry over Black people wearing the hairstyles of…other Black people?? Simply because it’s fake?? If your loc journey is so fragile that another person’s fake hair diminishes it, then just chop your hair off right now and start anew. Some women wear wigs with 3c curls. Should I be up in arms because they didn’t trudge along the same path of pain and tears it took me to love and accept my 3c hair? Another point in favor of faux locs I would like to bring up is not all of us were blessed with… Read more »

Sunshine
Sunshine

Oh dear! lol In my honest opinion, I love the versatility of natural hair and I love faux locs for their beautiful aesthetic. I would not loc at this point because I love to do other things to my hair as well, like straighten and wear it kinky. It’s freeing for me to be able to switch up my style. With that said, I do give a loving sideeye to those say they want locs but don’t want to go thru the short phase (because they deem it unattractive), so they want faux locs to get long locs right away. That’s… Read more »

Desya
Desya

That’s ridiculous. Why don’t the people acting offened just admit to admit to long anagen phase discrimination? Not every black woman can grow long hair and everyone should have a right to want to experience it. If a woman wants to add extentions of any kind she should be able to. I have long hair but I would never begrudge my short haired sisters the same experience due to their genetics! I understand that locs take time and dedication but not everyone has that ability and they should not have to be made to feel bad about that. Should we… Read more »

Michele Antoinette
Michele Antoinette

To me personally, I don’t have locs and I’m not offended by people who wear fake locs——- I am familiar with the rastafarian culture associated with them but I also know for a fact that a lot of guys and girls who acquired their locs the natural way aren’t familiar with the history behind it—–should we tell them too that they need to cut off their locs? Should we tell girls who don’t naturally have long hair not to wear weave because they don’t know the struggle of what it actually means to maintain naturally long hair. Obviously, the answer… Read more »

LeNette
LeNette

Some people are not wearing faux locs simply to have fun, change it up, and be on trend. Some people wear them to camouflage alopecia or broken off locs. Also, many people wear loc extensions and cut them off as their own hair locs and grows underneath. So they are still undergoing a journey.

Young Savage Girl
Young Savage Girl

LOL. they sound so entitled. It’s just a hair style. Sitting in that damn chair while they wrap the fake hair and braid it is a damn journey and process.

Kim
Kim

lol frfr

Minimalassembly.tumblr

I get both sides. Loc wearers don’t want their hair becoming “trendy” because anything “trendy” can be made into a mockery rather than being seen as an everyday style. They do not want the attention. I see people with locs in all professions and imagine if your natural hair all of a sudden became a trend where people were sporting those 70’s afro wigs, cut and shaped, then next week they were wearing a different style. How might your natural hair be perceived among friends, co-workers, strangers who are not natural? At the same time loc wearers are forgetting that… Read more »

Kevin Bacon
Kevin Bacon

Who cares? Hair is only an accessory. Want to wear real locs? Go ahead. Want to wear faux locs? Go ahead. Do what makes you happy.

nubiennze
nubiennze

I don’t have locs (yet, though I will soon!), so it’s not my place to tell loc’d women how they should feel.

But.

I would remind said loc’d women that many deem any manicured, non-religious locs “offensive” and “fake”.

LovetheReal
LovetheReal

Cant believe this is an argument. People (especially our people) find anything to get offended about smh.

Vintage
Vintage

Whoever said that locs were invented by Rasta’s lacks serious education. Its been around for CENTURIES, leading into even the times of the Pharaoh, times of the olden African civilizations. Its black history in its purest form- before the weaves, before the extensions and before the relaxing of hair. Locs have been around for God knows how long in the black community, even before places like Egpyt became mixed with Arabs and Whites. Anyway, I am newly loc’d and tbh I love faux locs- without them I wouldn’t have the courage to loc my hair in the end, and its… Read more »

Desarae Chester
Desarae Chester

I was thinking the exact same thing! Lol, people dedicate their lives to wearing dreads and women like me are just waking up one day and saying “You know what? I think I’ll wear some dreads this month just because.” And people like to say white folks are appropriating black people on the style and half of us’ shit ain’t even real hair, permanent, nor a life decision. We just saw a trend of patience, natural beauty, and effort and made a cheap and quick version of it that is none of those things. That is the EPITOME of appropriation.… Read more »

Angie
Angie

This is so silly! I wonder why all the other cultures are not offended by the Brazilian, Malaysian, Indian etc weaves?

lex
lex

disrespectful to the culture and lifestyle of locs” so stupid. If you have time to worry about someone’s hair thats your issue not their’s. Get over it

Kerri
Kerri

what a silly argument. I have actual locs, sisterlocs and have had locs of some form most of my life. I’m about to install faux locs over my real locs right now. shocker. i just think the style is beautiful and i want to try it for a while for a new look. who cares its hair do whatever u want.

miss blue
miss blue

I just don’t think faux locs look as cool from am aesthetic perspective. Real locs have an interesting texture. They don’t look as beautiful and unpredictable as real locs7.. They don’t look as fun.

Leslie
Leslie

Women with long hair hate to see other women with long weaves because they feel it does not respect the “process” and women with locs hate faux locs for the same reason. Hair is such a divisive thing among black women. I personally think it is pathetic to have such deeply emotional reactions to someone else’s hair. People are being killed and deported. I had real locs and I now wear faux locs because my job prohibits me from wear locs or braids when I am making court appearances. So, I need the flexibility.