6 Natural Afro-Latinas to Follow on Youtube

Avatar • Mar 7, 2015

My Afro-Latinas, stand up!  If you are on the hunt for natural Latinas to follow, check out these six ladies on YouTube.

1. Steph of Afro Mío

Steph of Afro Mío

Steph is Dominican and shares her natural hair journey as well as what she’s learned with her Spanish-speaking sistas. On her YouTube channel, she talks about hair care, demonstrates hair styles, and discusses hair products. Steph also gets more personal with viewers by sharing in her current pregnancy.  All her videos are in Spanish.

2. Alba of SunKissAlba

SunKissAlba

I discovered Alba on YouTube a year or so ago and have been hooked ever since.  Her videos are of great quality and she discusses everything from flawless makeup tutorials, to hair care, to fashion and health.  She is Dominican and bi-lingual creating videos in both English AND Spanish.  For her videos in English, check her SunKissAlba channel.  For her videos in Spanish, check out her SunKissAlbaParaTi channel.

3. Mel Burgos

Mel Burgos

Mel is Puerto Rican and a past BGLH Style Icon. Though she has uploaded only a couple videos so far, her most recent video gives me have high hopes for more to come.  Last year on Xojane.com, she shared her experience being a natural latina, including the ridicule she received growing up. Below is a short snippet from her article.  In the mean time, you can follow her on Instagram at @rock_yo_rizos.

“Lately there have been a few incidents that remind of my teenage years, where I have been subjected to insults and negative assumptions about my hygiene by my fellow Latinas. When I was at a restaurant waiting in line for the restroom, I overheard two women say in Spanish, “Oh, man, look at all that hair. It looks so unkempt, it probably smells.” Then they gave me fake smiles and nods as if they were talking about something else, not knowing that I am fluent in the language. I got angry and thought about immediately defending my “Boriquaness,” but instead I just responded in Spanish, “Thank you for the compliment. Please be careful what you say because you never know who speaks Spanish or is Hispanic.”” – Mel Burgos on Xojane.com

4. Afrobellezatv

Afrobelleza tv

Beautiful Dominican, Afrobelleza, shares her experience with her natural hair on YouTube as well as hair DIY mixes.   She also discusses fashion and delicious food. All of her videos are in Spanish.

5. Melshary

MelsharyA

Melshary, who is also Dominican, is another natural Afro-Latina on YouTube.  She has tons of useful product reviews and a few pieces about her life.

6. Priscilla of ImShineStruck

ImShineStruck

Last but not least is Dominican Priscilla who just happens to have also been a BGLH Style Icon in 2013.  She shares many beautiful hair tutorials on her channel, including a couple that have been featured in our Natural Hair Styles series.  Below is a quote from her blog about her return to natural hair:

Growing up in the Dominican culture, we as women are not taught to embrace our natural hair. If your hair is not straight and silky it is most likely considered to be “bad hair”, or we were told that wetting our hair too much would cause damage, which was why I always had my hair blow-dried.

With a combination of breakage, perming, heat damage and excessively dying my hair throughout the years, my hair eventually started to fall off. It was beyond over processed. I wore weaves/extensions and it made my hair even worse. I honestly thought I would never get my hair back until I started doing research and became obsessed with natural hair.

All in all it was extremely liberating for me to go natural, be free and just be me. I have been natural for a 1 year and 7 months and it’s the healthiest it has ever been and it has become a huge part of me. Check out my hair journey video below for some inspiration :).” — Priscilla

Are you subscribed to any Afro-Latinas with natural hair? Share below!

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Nappy4ever
Nappy4ever

comments?

Robi
Robi

I love to see beautiful naturals from all over the world rocking their hair! It’s especially hard in the Latino community because the concept of “pelo malo” is so deeply ingrained in us. It takes real confidence and courage to wear ones natural curls, kinks, and coils in the Latino community. Keep rockin it ladies! Que hermosa!

Chevanne
Reply to  Robi

As a non-Latina natural, I’m very interested in hearing perspectives on texture discrimination in other communities. It’s a much wider issue than we imagine. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to  Chevanne

Why?? It’s no different than the experience people of darker skin and kinky hair experience on a daily basis being non afro Hispanic. We are not different. Some of us were dropped off in different parts of the world but our experiences are all the same. No new story. Sorry

clever_moniker
Reply to  Angie H

Why? Because it’s an opportunity to learn. It’s an opportunity to let a community weave their own story which may have overlapping elements but cannot be lumped in with ours.

Nina
Nina
Reply to  Chevanne

Check out Dash Harris or InADash on Youtube. She did a documentary series bit on this. Gives you a nice look on the inside for starters.

Afro-Latina Siempre
Afro-Latina Siempre
Reply to  Chevanne

As an Afro-Latina I understand you defensiveness. When a non-Latina inquires on the focus of experience “con pelo malo” the intentions can get cloudy. Especially when there are people who want to take our Latinadad pride away because we are in American. Thankfully this isn’t everyones intentions but it can be in comparison of a Caucasian person inquiring the same from an African American and becoming defensive because the intentions are unknown.

kia
kia

Love my AFRO Latina sisters!

Angie
Angie

Dios, Cuanta mujeres BELLA!———————————God, so many beautiful women!

Im so glad to see a whole segment dedicated to Afro latinas in the natural world. Most importantly, im glad to see so many of my fellow Dominican sisters embracing their “roots”. I will say..you forgot Mizz Rizos..who is F’n amazing. Nothing left to mention here but that we are all ONE. thank you

Viva La raza!

roo
roo
Reply to  Angie

Wow thanks for this post. Mizz Rizos is so inspiring. BGLH should make a feature on her.

CurlyTs
CurlyTs

Rissos Pacíficos on Youtube also has GREAT videos.

XaeNa S
XaeNa S

so gorgeous!

Myllee
Myllee

There is no diversity tho, no darker skinned Latina with tighter curls, they do exist. The selection above is nice though.

Yoli
Yoli
Reply to  Myllee

There is diversity in the different hair textures/types. I saw two ladies with tighter coils, one lady’s hair looks like mine and I am not afro-latina. This is about hair and they gave you that. Why look for an issue where there isn’t one?

natyrally_tee
natyrally_tee

One of my faves Heyfranhey should be on the list

Rydee
Rydee

Good picks but the title could have been worded afro hispanic so that negraflor could have been included! I also like dailycurlz, although I’m not sure if she is afrolatina identifying but she is also dominican.

Prieta
Prieta
Reply to  Rydee

You do not have to be afro-latina/afro-hispanic to be a latina with curly hair. We come in all shades and various curl varieties. This is not the type of label we should insist on using. I am Puerto Rican with very curly hair. There are many latina curly-haired bloggers. .…PrincessLinzz and DiosasalNatural from Puerto Rico is another group.

Reply to  Prieta

Why is this “not the type of label we should insist on using?” For years women of color have been taught to be ashamed of the more color in their skin/ hair texture and to give it other names that are more European friendly, Indio, Negra, Morena etc.
Why not afro-latina? Afro from Africa. Darker skin from our afro roots, curlier hair from our African past. Why be ashamed?

Prieta
Prieta
Reply to  Angie H

There is too much hatred from some of you! I am proud of my dark skin and curly hair. I do not and never will deny my african roots. We should not have to depend on labels to define us. I do not call myself afro-latina, because I do not need to. It is obvious! I am just a latina with curly hair. I do not need any justification from anyone least of all people in cyber space. I am Puerto Rican and proud of it. We come in all shades and we do not have to label it or… Read more »

Stephine Griffith
Stephine Griffith
Reply to  Prieta

girl you are black stop it.You only speak spanish because europeans colonialised your ancestors and raped some of them producing mulata offspring. Btw Latinos are white people from Europe like portuguese and spaniards,italians etc.

Reply to  Prieta

LOL! You do realize this blog is called BLACK girl long hair. This is a space for Lalas not Jlos. Yeah there are curly latinas without or who don’t claim African heritage. And. What is your point? You say you don’t need a label but you identify yourself as latina which is a label. Puerto Rican is a label too. So it’s just the afro part you don’t like. Cool. And if you don’t like it then don’t use it. why can’t you just do you and let people who do embrace the term do them. Obviously not every Latina… Read more »

nic
nic
Reply to  Prieta

See I knew some self hatin Latina would come up in here with this “drop the afro” bull…#missmewithit. These women chose to identify as afro-latina, defying the shackles of mental slavery that so many (you included) have. Dafuq u think you got that curly hair from?!? Your “spanish from Spain” grandfather??

obby
obby
Reply to  Prieta

This is not the type of label we should insist on using.” Why not? To be Puerto Rican is a nationality not a race. Puerto Ricans are made up of a multi-ethnic composition. Like you mentioned, people that come in all shades and like you said with various hair textures. So what’s wrong with those who chose to identify as afro-hispainc/latina? I’m a little confused so please enlighten me.

Mariposa Sedosa
Mariposa Sedosa
Reply to  Prieta

Um, is Prieta (Black) your given name? Or is that what you choose to call yourself? Why can they not also choose? There absolutely are people out there with no close relatives of African descent with type 3 and even rarer type 4 hair. However, most people with this hair type are of African descent. There are Pacific Islanders with very kinky hair yet have been separated from Africa for thousands of years. That isn’t the case for Latin Americans.

Reply to  Rydee

Afro latina, afro hispanic…what’s the difference chica?

Reply to  Rydee

afro latina, afro hispanic…what’s the difference chica?

Reply to  Angie H

I think she’s talking about how Negraflor lives in Spain not in Latin America. I love her videos

Reply to  Cosita

hispanic is a narrowing down of latino… latin is originally spain france italy portugal… hispanic is deriving from spain.. hispania was spains old name when it was just a province of rome… anywhere touched by spain became hispanicized and is called hisapnic or latino.. brazil cant be hispanic but are latino.. they are lusophones.. haitians are latin american as well but not hispanic they are francophone..

Bigantic
Bigantic

Now, I feel like I need to learn Spanish.
It’s on my long list of languages to learn! 😀

LBell
LBell

Reading Mel Burgos’ experience reminded me: Many years ago I was walking towards a man who looked at my hair and said “pelo animal” under his breath as he passed. I understood enough Spanish to know I’d been insulted but I didn’t know enough Spanish to cuss him out properly. This is just one of many reasons why knowing another language is a good thing. 🙂 Unfortunately my French is still far stronger than my Spanish…

Tasha
Tasha
Reply to  LBell

The exact same happened to me..smh. It is so ignorant when people think you won’t understand them.

NancyM
NancyM
Reply to  LBell

Yes, brush up on your Spanish! There’s nothing more gratifying than to tell off someone who insults you and see their shocked face when they realize that you understood them. It’s happened to me in the past. I’m afro-Cuban (born in the US but my parents are Cuban), and it does feel good to shock people by whipping out my Spanish on them. LOL! I know, I’m bad. Don’t judge me. 🙂

Reply to  NancyM

So true. Some people are so blinded by their own stereotypes of what Spanish speakers “look like” they can’t believe a black person can speak Spanish. they dog you in front of you which is rude whether the person understands or not. I love the look on their shocked faces when they talk mierda about me and I turn around and tell them about themselves. They’re like oh you speak Spanish? lmao

NancyM
NancyM
Reply to  Cosita

Right!

LBell
LBell
Reply to  NancyM

While I’m brushing up…how do you say “eff off”, “kiss my black a**,” etc. in Spanish? 😉

Tasha
Tasha

I experienced something similar to Mel Burgos. Even though I’m not Latina, I do understand Spanish very good…just can’t speak it that good. Lol.

Its interesting to see the ‘bad hair’ controversy in different cultures.

SMH
SMH
Reply to  Tasha

Clearly can’t speak English that WELL either.

Tasha
Tasha
Reply to  SMH

Well, I’m still learning English actually, so thanks for your negative feedback. 🙂

Andrea Lewis
Andrea Lewis
Reply to  Tasha

I’m impressed! I never would have guessed that English was not your first language. I know born-and-bred Americans who don’t express themselves as well online. You should be proud of yourself. 🙂

Tasha
Tasha
Reply to  Andrea Lewis

Thank you lol. I work hard.

mia
mia
Reply to  SMH

That was so rude. Clearly you got the gist of what she meant. I don’t understand internet grammar police, like so quick to correct spelling, punctuation and syntax anonymously behind a keyboard. Tasha was just trying to add to the flow of conversation, she gave her experience of the topic at hand , at least she provided something of substance versus rudeness. Completely uncalled for, have same tact and decorum. Smh indeed.x

Kari
Kari

I subscribe to Afro Mio, Miss Rizos and Diosas Naturales, aunque no soy afro-latina (although I am not Afro-Latina).

Angela
Angela

I am so proud of my fellow Dominican vloggers! All beautiful and great example how to embrace our natural beauty!

Jazmin Jordan
Jazmin Jordan

I am subscribed to Alba & Priscilla. I have watched Melshary’s videos as well.

Ellen
Ellen

I discovered ImShineStruck on this blog. And I love her tutorials. I learned how to straighten my daughter’s hair from her vidieos, which I first saw here. Thanks for this post!

Cosita

I highly adore Africa. Her channel is largoynatural. I watch her Spanish videos but I think maybe she does them in English too. She has this video about Latinos with obviously black features who deny their African roots that she really goes in. I’m subscribed to Dailycurlz too.

Myllee
Myllee

Oh please they only featured Latina of a certain hue.

maria
maria

Lmao don’t let sunkissed alba hear you call er afro-latina tho. She went all out of the way in the comment section one time to correct subscribers who said she was part black, old girl was quite upset. This girl claims no Afro in her latina.

Naturally_tee
Naturally_tee
Reply to  maria

Thanks for letting me know that unsubscribe button ready

marsha
marsha
Reply to  maria

Just curious. what did she say was the cause for her dark complexion 🙂

Reply to  marsha

must be the kiss of the sun hence the name.

Reply to  maria

Good. Next. they can swap her picture out with Dailycurlz who I adore. I read an article on K is for kinky where she said she was black. Just for the record I never subbed to Alba. Afro or not I don’t get much substance from her channel. lotz of glitter. Not much gold.

Tabatha
Tabatha

All the ladies are lovely. I’ve watched a few of each of them.

Erica

I love SunkissAlba!

Angie H

Learn what you’re learning now my dear. That’s what this discussion is all about. The community has long ago weaved it’s story. European looking, Straight is better, Natural, kinky is not. We are discussing it. Latina, black American, multiracial with kinky hair…they do overlap and guess what? The experiences ARE lumped together and what is the final word? African genes are not good. European are better. From Cuba to Spain.
As I said no new story. Sorry to disappoint you. Emancipate yourself from mental slavery…

Chevanne
Reply to  Angie H

Hahahaha! Yes, we are all the same. I’m not the one who needs mental freedom.

Reply to  Angie H

not true in latin america they prefer mixed with european bu not fully european… taking the best of from black such as the body type and color.. bt preference for indian or european hair.. and bleded facial features .. like non black nose but black lips.. like here .. mulattos are seen as the hottest and they are..

Love your response!!!

Reply to  Angie H

actually her response was wack and weak… labels are things like black white etc.. nationality is a bit stronger than that… i can label myself whatever i want but i cant wipe away my nationality…

Alexious Johnson
Alexious Johnson

As a Latina I fucking despise the term afro latina.…and non of these women would be considered afro latina by actual “latinos” tis all

obby
obby

May I ask why? As I mentioned in an earlier comment that Puerto Ricans, Dominicans etc etc are made up of a multi-ethnic composition so what is so wrong with those who chose to identify themselves as afro latintas? You don’t have to like it but it’s one’s preference.

Reply to  obby

Afro Latina, Alexious Johnson with her slave master, (non latina name, by latina standards) will always be just what she despises. An afro latina. And the woman featured are considered afro latinas by “actual latina” standards. Obviously depends on who you ask; one in denial or one that’s not. Afro latina women from Honduras have NO problem calling themselves that. And some are white as snow and others as black as night.

Reply to  Angie H

sweetie do you call mexican women indian latinas .. no the whole hyphen thing is a USA anglo invention to isolate black ppl and exclude them.. in our society we dont have tht issue since there is no white majority lording over our identity and inclusion or exclusion insociety.. we are all jamaica haitian dominican etc not afro jamaican afro latina like we some anomaly or abnormal when we are the majority from dark to heavily mixed afric touched everyone even those indians you see from central and south america… and we call them mexican not afro mexican.. yet a… Read more »

Sophia Richardson
Sophia Richardson

Girl you are funny. Why are they NOT afro-Latina? Each one is the same color as me and MOST of my family. Quite a few have the same 3C hair. But I’m black/African American and they are not? Girl have a seat with your clear denial.

Hansy Peguero
Hansy Peguero

I think her point is that in our countries we don’t use race to define people. You are Dominican, not afro Dominican or euro Dominican.

Mariposa Sedosa
Mariposa Sedosa

Hmm. If you are referring to how Latinos of other ethnicities/races are rarely ever singled out, then I get it. No one says German, Native, middle eastern Latino as often. So it makes it seem like we are a anomaly when in fact we can be the majority in some countries. These woman would absolutely be referred to as Afro-Latina as that refers to anything and anyone of African descent in Latin America, mixed or not. They however, may or may not be called black. I think there is a popular Domincana blogger not listed here that I think touches… Read more »

Cosita

If you go on YT and put “pelo afro natural” in the search engine you’ll find a lot of great natural hair videos from AfroLatinas. If you don’t speak Spanish you can still follow some of the ones that are tutorials. Also there is a wonderful poem called “Me gritaron Negra” that I encourage all proud to be called “black” women to read.

NancyM
NancyM

LOL! I will not teach you that. LOL!

EllieLo
EllieLo
Reply to  NancyM

But these are the important things to know in every language!!! 🙂

Cosita

De-Nial is a river in Eqypt. As many times as I have been called negra and mulata it is a waste of time trying to convince me of this locura that all “real” Latinos are color blind and oblivious to racial differences. As mentioned earlier many “real” Latinos will assume if you are black that you don’t speak Spanish. I have a friend who is Filipino who complains people walk up to him speaking Spanish because he is tan with dark curly hair. He speaks Tagalog. I don’t care what people call themselves so why do they care what others… Read more »

Reply to  Cosita

they put it there to get hits.. also in latin america unlike the usa negra and mulata are terms of endearment and descriptive since we have so many mixes…in brazil there are 30plus ways to describe what here is called just black..here rachel dolezal was able to pass for black in latin america that wont happen..i dont like the idea of importing the USA racial mindset it is very divisive and extremely anti black.. we already have our own issues with colorism and hair… to add the whole parcelling of ppl by race thing in a heavily mixed society that… Read more »

Sudz
Sudz

I just wanted to add about the people assuming what a Latina looks like. I am dark skin and when my hair was relaxed people would speak to me in Spanish all the time. So I’m not sure if the judgement is more based on hair texture or skin color…it was soo bizarre.

Alecia M. Davato
Alecia M. Davato

Yes! Took the words right out of my mouth! “I am not an afro-latina” “I’m a latina with curly hair” #neverfearthefro

Andrea Lewis
Andrea Lewis

I love SunkissedAlba’s channel! I’d never heard of the other ladies, but I’ll check them out. Thank you, for this list!

Hansy Peguero
Hansy Peguero

No Puerto Rican is a nationality (kind of) NOT a label. You can’t get mad because people decide to identify with their nationality rather than their race. When people see her they know she is black woman, so what’ the point of her calling herself afro something if she doesn’t want to. That’s an American term, people in Latin America don’t use it. We say morena, prieta, negra, triguena but at the end of the day we are defined by our nationality not our race. Now if you live in the US things are different. Don’t expect tolerance when you… Read more »

Reply to  Hansy Peguero

First of all I didn’t tell her to call herself anything. In fact what I said to her was “if you don’t like it then don’t use it. why don’t you do you and let people who embrace the term do them.” She has a problem with OTHER people choosing to call themselves afro latinos whereas I said it is their personal choice. If you feel as she does then that makes you the intolerant person you say I am.. Secondly Puerto Rican is label. So is American. The definition of the verb “to label” means to identify to classify.

Cosita

The De-NIAL I was referring to was her assertion that all Latin Americans are color blind. You just confirmed what I said by noting the 30 different color description names used in Brasil. If they were oblivious to race as was suggested they wouldn’t have need for these words. I said I had been called negra and mulata. I didn’t say the people were saying it to be offensive. I’m also often called morena which has different meanings depending on the country. I don’t take offense to it but it is making racial distinctions nevertheless. I hear white people called… Read more »

Reply to  Cosita

they arent oblivious to race they aren’t as hard up and strict with codes like in the English speaking world..you are projecting a narrow anglo saxon influenced perspective in Latin people… . they have so many mixtures these words are meant to be descriptive not like the USA where everything is said with malice and offensive..what happened in the new world in like a social experiment…people from far flung lands developing new cultures…a lot Hispanics think a person who looks racially white or black doesn’t speak Spanish because they aren’t well versed on their origins..and you will encounter that with… Read more »

Reply to  IDGAF

I’m not mad. I just think you are ridiculous. I know tons of people from the Caribbean who identify as black. And I have relatives who are Bahan and I have never heard them say they didn’t want to be called black. We don’t consider black a negative word. I don’t equate black as solely being American. That’s dumb as f . It’s a race not a nationality. you can be Jamaican and asian. and if you do then you are the narrow minded one. maybe you are the one who is hung up on race. If someone is not… Read more »

Adoreimi
Adoreimi

I know there’s gotta be some Haitian or brazillian Latina tubers out there unless they were overlooked :/

trackback

[…] more personal with viewers by sharing in her current pregnancy.  All her videos are in Spanish. Afro Latinas to Follow on YT […]

Stephine Griffith
Stephine Griffith

I see black women.latino is not a race and dominican,cuban are nationalities not ethnicities, ethnicity would be taino,afro cuban and other groups of people who share cultural,historical connection afro cuban culture is different from native cuban. These women are black weather mixed or not. Yes they have been intermingling but it is quite clear these women above are black. Sunkissedalba needs to calm down she is afrodominican.

Stephine Griffith
Stephine Griffith

There is 2 differences between African Americans and Black people in Caribbean,South America,Central America is different boat stops,and one was colonialised by the English, others by Portuguese,Spaniards(Latinos). They both racial as f and raped our black ancestors.Calm Down and stop glorifying rape blood. To the self hatred black people in the comments

Stephine Griffith
Stephine Griffith

It’s quite clear these women are black.First off Latino is not a race but a cultural identity. And latinos are WHITE PEOPLE form Europe(SPAIN,PORTUGAL ETC).Dominicans,Puerto Ricans,Cubans are nationalities not races or ethnicities.The 2 differences between African Americans and Africans in SA,CA and Caribbean is different boat stops and were colonialised by Europeans speaking different languages but they all raped our ancestors and produced mulata offsprings.Stop glorifying rape blood.And SunKissedAlba is black weather she likes it or not.So is Zoe Saldana,Pele and other people of african descent.For the comments…

Stephine Griffith
Stephine Griffith

Boricuas Stand Up

I am Afro-Puerto Rican and became a naturalista a little over a year ago. My hair went through a “no grow zone” for four years. Four long years… I heard about natural hair care products owned and created by an Afro-Latina called, MicMas Remix. Once I tried it there was a huge difference immedietly with my hair because it was much more manageable and softer. Have been using it for several months and it was the boost my hair apparently needed because my hair is healthier and growing much better now.

trackback