Mel // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Dec 5, 2013

2013-07-10 08.32.07

Introduce yourself!
M:
My name is Mel Burgos. I’m from the Boogie Down Bronx. I’m a Management Analyst for the Department of Health and Human Services and also a Blogger.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
M:
I had my first relaxer at 13 and transitioned for about a year, so that would be about – A LOOOONG TIME AGO. I also big chopped after a horrible hairdresser experience in 2010 so I’m currently rockin’ 3 ½ years of growth. As corny as it may sound, I decided to stop relaxing my hair because of Mel B from the Spice Girls! I know I know BUT I was actually transitioning at the time and my hair was pretty long with the worst straight ends ever and once I saw that video with her jumping up and down singing “Tell me whacha want, whacha really really want” I cut my hair JUST like hers the next day.

How would you describe your texture?
M:
I have never characterized my curls because I have different textures all over my head, but I can say that despite all the volume, my strands are fine and are prone to breakage.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
M:
I love wash and go’s! I have tried two strand twists, braid outs and even bantu knots, but those styles don’t work for me anymore because of my haircut.

amel2z

My go to products:
Wash: Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Hydrating Soak Shampoo or the Beyond Gentle & Sulfate-Free Wash. If my hair is really dirty, I do my first wash with Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Soap (undiluted).
Condition/Detangle: Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Knot-Out Conditioner.
Deep Condition: Nubian Heritage Grow & Strengthen Treatment Masque or Motions Naturally You Deep Conditioning Masque.
Style: Sebastian Potion 9 Leave-In Treatment and Ecostyler Gel (clear).
Seal: Josie Maran 100% argan oil (you can find it at Sephora), 100% grapeseed oil, or 100% jojoba oil (I normally get these from Whole Foods), Ella’s Concoctions Holy Grail Oil and Quickie Oil (www.ellasconcoctions.com).

What does wash day look like for you?
M:
It’s pretty much an all-day event. I try to wash my hair at least every 5 days because it gets really itchy and smelly by then. I also steam my hair on my wash day using my Huetiful Steamer. My hair has a tendency to be very dry and steaming has made a significant difference in how moisturized my hair is versus sitting underneath a dryer with conditioner. After I wash and condition, I apply my styling product combo. I then diffuse my hair with my hair flipped over to the front under low heat for no more than 15 minutes, and I seal my ends with argan, grapeseed, or jojoba oil. I also started using Ella’s Concoctions Holy Grail Oil and Quickie Oil — I am a huge fan. All of the ingredients used are raw and organic, so they are safe to even use on children — plus they smell absolutely yummy!

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
M:
Simple, a high messy ponytail with my ends tucked.

How do you combat shrinkage?
M:
I don’t really fight my hair too often, but I do put my hair up in a ponytail (with my bangs out) while I’m getting ready, and it stretches out my curls quite a bit.

Tell us about your hair color?
M:
My colorist Sharmica Drayton does it, and she is located at Mystic Salon in Washington DC. I knew I wanted color and did not want to bleach my hair, so she customized two colors to create some dimension and just applied it to the ends of my hair. I don’t have a clue what the colors are, but I know the dyes were from Aveda. The color has changed my texture. It’s slightly dryer than the rest of my hair, but thank goodness for my steamer.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
M:
My problem areas are the back of my hair and along my hairline.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
M:
Deep conditioning and using a satin pillowcase at night to protect my hair.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
M:
Using a comb and drying my hair with a towel. Cotton t‑shirts work best for me.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
M:
Yes there is! You can find me on www.rockyorizos.blogspot.com and Instagram: @rock_yo_rizos.

About Meosha

Qura
Qura

Your hair is Stunning!!! I love, love, love big hair!!!! P.s. your stunning as well.

mlank64
mlank64

Gorgeous

Mili
Reply to  mlank64

Hi, I noticed in the cold carells list for September, a company called Madrigal but no information relating to it. Has anyone else been contacted by them? We have had a series of phone calls telling us that we are guaranteed our money back as reclaim have gone into liquidation! Just when you thought you had heard it all, now, apparantly we should have an NIF number which will allow us to be paid out! This information is supposed to be contained in the terms and conditions on the reverse of the voucher. Can’t understand this as the same terms… Read more »

Candy
Candy

Such beautiful hair and color! OMG if I could get my hair like this, I would be n natural hair heaven!

Amma Mama

Awww I love her curls! So cute <3

LBell
LBell

You say you stopped relaxing your hair because of Mel B like that’s a bad thing…Scary Spice was the best thing about the Spice Girls IMO. Your awesome ‘fro brings back great memories! 🙂

Rachel
Rachel

Gooorgeous, that red dress pic is lovely, I like your hair its natural color too

Lynn
Lynn

Could this head of hair get any better ! Sometimes I need a reminder and a little inspiration to continue you on this natural hair journey. Thanks for sharing.

youngin girl
youngin girl

Man, I like big hair that’s out like that. It makes a person look sporty, fun-natured and stuff.

alice
alice

your hair is glorious. Ive seen her on all the blogs, tumblr, instagram.. definite icon right there.…

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

OMG-how gorgeous is she?! Love that head of big healthy hair. #WERK

Elle
Elle

Now you know you killed it in that pic with the shades and your gorgeous, blonde coils, right?

Sensational! Love all the styling options.

imani
imani

Luv luv luv the curls& color.she says the color changed her texture&I find a lot of naturals say the same thing.it took me several year sto accept the fact that my highlighted strands were completely dried out& my curl pattern was now just frizzy in those areas.I just cut them off for the most part bc I want uniform curls& the highlights seem to not be worth the semicurly frustratingly dried frizz I was constantly deep conditioning and keeping extra moisturized with little improvement so they had to go! But the hightlights on her look awesome! I miss mine already… Read more »

Mlle Batifole
Mlle Batifole

Her hair and style are amazing! I love the red dress pic!

Tamires
Tamires

what a diva

Kelcie
Kelcie

Beautiful!!!

Anatoliy
Reply to  Kelcie

I started hainvg my hair done by Dean when he was living in the Blue Mountains. I had been going to a salon for years and paying $250 every five weeks to have a cut and colour, but I wasn’t happy. My blonde was always a little bit too brassy. I mentioned this to Dean when I first met him and he got it’. My hair wasn’t classy, it was something I may as well have been doing myself with an over the counter product because it looked as bad as a home’ job (blondes will understand that there is… Read more »

Ashley
Ashley

Gorgeous hair. Beautiful color!

chinamountain
chinamountain

Your hair Is pretty. I love the picture of you at the salon. I like watching people get their hair done. It’s like watching a caterpillar turn into a beautiful butterfly.

Michelle
Michelle

Her hair displays how every head of curls has it’s own look. I love it.

Nagela
Nagela

Why am I so obssessed with your life right now!!!! Beautiful!!!! Please share where you got that freaking hair cut!

kalema
kalema

Hi Burgos! My Navy buddy. You still have thee best curls. Good to see you spreading the news about your hair! Went natural almost 3 years ago and it was the best thing I’ve done for my hair. Can’t wait to show and tell.