Ana // 3B Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 14, 2013

105_2119

Introduce yourself!
A:
My name is Ana Iris Santos Batista and I’m from the capital of the Dominican Republic.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
A:
I’ve been a natural for around 2–3 years. I didn’t really decide to become natural. At a certain point, I just stopped using relaxers and hair dyes. It wasn’t until I started searching for ways to care for my natural hair that I realized that transitioning to natural hair was not something as rare as I thought.

How would you describe your texture?
A:
I would describe my hair as mostly 3b with some 3c characteristics. My hair is very thick and sometimes it can be coarse despite what it may look like. It rejects water and doesn’t really like doing what I tell it to, but I do have ways to tame my mane.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
A:
In one month I try to wash my hair only 4 times. Most of the time it ends up being about twice a month. It really depends on if I’m going out or if I have nothing to do. The ideal would be for me to deep condition every time I wash my hair, but my wash day is long enough. The way that I keep my hair moisturized is by dampening it every day with a mixture of water and Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioning Cream. Most of the time I have my hair down with its natural texture. I also love to “fro-out” my hair. This requires for me to use heat, so I also limit this to only 2–4 times a month. The styles that I keep going back to are protective styles. My protective styles are a bit different. Protective styles are supposed to last days or weeks so that you’re not touching or dealing with your hair every day. This is however something that I just can’t do. Due to the length and thickness of my hair…leaving any style for a week or longer will give me dreads. My hair coils into itself and just doesn’t let go. If I decide not to do a specific style, I do an updo for about 3 days and then change it up into another protective style.

105_2172

What does wash day look like for you?
A:
First, I begin by finger detangling my hair. I then shampoo and condition with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. After I’m done detangling (after 1–3 hours) and have washed out the conditioner, I remove excess water and add the Garnier Fructis Leave-In. I then apply some Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plop my hair, and I’m done! Unless…I decide to do a style. How long the style takes depends on what it is. A coil out is an extra 40 minutes. A braid out is about 2 hours extra (I don’t braid close to the scalp, and I do medium sized braids). A froed out look is only about 10–20 minutes. A wash and go is about 5–10 minutes. The halo updo is only about 10–15 minutes. This is usually the most tempting, but the one I choose the least.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
A:
My favorite go-to hairstyle for days when I’m more lazy than usual is definitely any updo or my froed out look. The halo updo works for pretty much any situation. The fro look just makes me feel free and it goes with my “I don’t really care what you think about my hair” day haha.

How do you combat shrinkage?
A:
I’m one of the people that belongs to the very elite group of naturals that like shrinkage. I don’t fight it. I wish I had it. My hair shrinks to some degree, but I don’t consider it shrinkage. If it was up to me, my hair would be hip length and shrink to above my shoulders. Unfortunately, it doesn’t.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
A:
My hair and I are nearly always in battle. My main problem is dryness. My hair literally repels water, but once it soaks it in it doesn’t want to let it go. It’s very emotionally confused. When I’m in the bathroom, I have to literally hurry to put on my shampoo and my conditioner because by the time that happens…my hair has dried. Once I’m out though, my hair takes an entire day to dry completely. It makes it very hard to plan to go out. I tell everyone that they must give me a day’s notice or I won’t be able to go.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
A:
Do moisturize your hair daily and do deep condition as much as possible.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
A:
Do not use heat daily and do not tug on your hair while detangling.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
I can be found on:
Twitter: @dominicanmerida
Instagram: @alisvolatpropiis36
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DominicanMerida (recently started it)

About Meosha

kb
kb

Wow! You Have a lot of hair! It’s beautiful.

kb
kb

if this was a story about a darker skin black woman, talking about 4c hair, I wonder if you would have the same response. Let’s respect each other.

kb
kb
Reply to  kb

^^ This comment made sense when it was responding to a comment that has now been deleted. I was defending the writer. 🙂

lulu
lulu
Reply to  kb

interesting. probably the first time I’ve seen a comment deleted from the comment section..

Reply to  lulu

yeah, it’s pretty rare. i think you’d hafta say smtg pretty darn inflammatory for that to happen

lulu
lulu
Reply to  cacey

the comment was something about if she was 4c whether the person would be getting the same treatment. I’ve honestly read MUCH worse lol…

Reply to  lulu

same here lol

wow
wow
Reply to  lulu

So not only are non-Black women on BLACKgirllonghar but they censoring people too! Can we not have a space solely for us? Can Black women not speak our minds openly on a website supposedly geared toward us. If not here then where? SMDH

Ellie
Ellie
Reply to  wow

If you’re really that bothered then why don’t you make your own website?

Tisha
Tisha
Reply to  Ellie

Or even simpler…Go view a different Style Icon! #eureka!

Facepalm
Facepalm
Reply to  wow

Black women can’t have ishhhh to ourselves without others infiltrating with our cooperation, mind you. SMFH Sidebar: I don’t know if you’d heard of “Black girls run” the organization to encourage BLACK women to make healthy lifestyle changes and take up running etc… Well, here is a photo of the 2 top winners for one of their BLACK girls run marathons.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wtf.png[/img]

Reply to  Facepalm

wow that’s insane lol one is black but is not a woman and the other is a woman that is not black.

Guest1234
Guest1234
Reply to  Facepalm

@Facepalm Those pics made me laugh out loud!! And homegirl is sooooo proud of herself too. I get where you’re coming from. We’re just so damn fly that these folks just don’t know what to do with themselves. That kind of stuff used to bother me when I was younger, but now I get it. And while these folks really try hard to take everything away from us, the truth of the matter is that they are really just grasping at straws. The thing we have that they WANT so bad, they can’t touch. We’re black women, in all of… Read more »

Guest1234
Guest1234
Reply to  Guest1234

correction: “wasn’t a black woman”

Kan
Kan
Reply to  Facepalm

LOL — just wow.…and she’s just a cheesin’, lolol

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  wow

So what if she is not a “black” woman (btw she is Dominican so I am sure there is some black in her DNA) are we going to start segregating also??

LOL
LOL
Reply to  kb

Of course not because the site is called b‑l-a-c‑k girl long hair. =/

Amma Mama

Beautiful girl and beautiful hair <3

Lo
Lo

I tell everyone that they must give me a day’s notice or I won’t be able to go.” *snap left* *snap right* such a diva! Lol I love it, beautiful hair I like the light to dark ombré

Ray
Ray

Gorgeous hair and girl, but finger detangeling for 1–3 hours, I couldn’t do it.

nolly A
nolly A

YOU AND YOUR HAIR ARE GORGEOUS

Joan B. in S. C.
Joan B. in S. C.

Glad to see BGLH doing a follow up with Ana after getting such positive responses on her article.

?
?

Your definition of positive is interesting.

Kandice
Kandice

Sometimes I wish people would date their pictures so we can get an estimate on how long it took for their hair to grow to a certain length.

Eli
Eli
Reply to  Kandice

don’t think it matters in this case…either way that’s 2–3 years of hair!!!!!! daaaaaaamn girl your hair is out of this world!

Chat1
Chat1

Beautiful! Loves it! I couldn’t deal with all that hair!

Skyler
Skyler

Beautiful hair. I love your pictures. they are so elegant 🙂 this girl is an awesome hair icon. thanks for sharing<3

Jane
Jane

Your hair is B‑E-A-UTIFUL!

Jackie
Jackie

Golly you just look so freakin exotic! Sooo Pretty!!!! & Your hair is beyond amazing !

elsa
elsa

Beautiful hair, so big and long 🙂 No wonder it takes so long to detangle. I love it.

honey
honey

DREAM HAIR!!!!!

kisha
kisha

that updo pic!!! too pretty! pretty hair

Monet
Monet

She white with good hair. Any questiong?

Monet
Monet

She white and she got good hair. So what? She don’t have that nappy hard hair like black people.

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  Monet

What an ugly comment. My son who happens to be mixed has the same type of hair as Ana and let me tell you, It is a struggle. He has shoulder length hair and before I knew about natural hair care I had to cut all of his hair because he had dreads. Now that I learned how to deal with his hair, I wash his hair and detangle daily and he doesn’t even have a fraction of the hair she has. And I am a black woman with 4a/b hair. BTW what is good hair?? Stop being so ignorant.

sandi
sandi

God bless your hair 😀 and in your other pics I saw you look like Shakira

chikodili
chikodili

honest opinion, all hair types are beautiful, but if u aren’t a black girl and don’t have black hair attributes, whats the point of showcasing your hair? we already recognize and KNOW european features…..im sorry but realistically speaking the goal is to glamorize the unglamorized…..the goal is to show black women other ways to look naturally; not like some white girl with long flowing european-esque hair. I’m sorry, but this is not the way that we look. end of story.

J
J
Reply to  chikodili

The world see’s her as black, so she is black. So what it she’s fair skinned and has ‘European/straighter’ features.…does that make her less black? What is blackness from a ‘black perspective anyway? Why shouldn’t she be celebrated? Why shouldn’t length on a fair skinned person be glamorised? The only difference between her and someone with shorter hair, is speed of growth, genetics and retention. Whatever ‘un glamorized’ is ‘can’ experience length; rather, be celebrated for short and thick…

Shelly_Shelle
Shelly_Shelle
Reply to  J

She views herself as a LATINA and the world views herself as a LATINA, NOT A BLACK WOMAN. There is a difference.

Reply to  Shelly_Shelle

Well said.

Guest1234
Guest1234

Much better post IMO! She looks absolutely gorgeous! Fab hair, girl!

Poster Girl
Poster Girl

Here is the thing. I don’t see her as white or non-black, though she said previously she doesn’t identify with black (a common struggle among Dominicans & Puerto Ricans), she is apart of the African Diaspora. DR is over 70% blk and live right next to the Haitians, they only had different enslavers and they are mixed up with each other as well and with the now extinct Tainos. Blacks are all over the world, from negritos in Asia to Brazil and Peruvians. I believe they have right to be on this site. However, I would say coming from different parts… Read more »

cacey

i think those questioning whether or not someone like ana should be featured HERE is pretty valid. My question for those of you who say why not is this: there are quite a few youtube girls who have posted videos of themselves coming out and saying “i’m mixed black”. but guess what, guys? A LOT of those ladies looks straight-up white. One or two even had red hair, straight as all get-out. or curly or wavy but silky. My question then is, to what extent are people who are not “obviously” black allowed on the site? I’m pretty sure that if… Read more »

Trust0811
Trust0811
Reply to  cacey

If you Google Dominican women, most of them look just as black as any other chick in here! It is what it is, we are Hispanic but our race is BLACK!! this “She’s not black enough to be posted here” is dumb! so what are we doing now the paper bag test to see if someone belongs on this site?! as much as we complain about racism and not being treated equally (some) black women are the most racist of them all!! this girl just said that her features are European! girl please! Dominicans are mixed, black, white, and other!… Read more »

Reply to  Trust0811

you didn’t even answer my question, which was pretty valid. who is to be a style icon on a site aimed at black women, and who isn’t? i’m not prejudiced. and i think her story should be shared. i just wasn’t under the impression that a site aimed at black women with predominantly kinky hair should have been the venue for that sharing. My question was should we hold up as style icons people in GENERAL who do NOT look “black”? if that’s the case, why not just go on ahead and feature white women? if i’m not mistaken, curly… Read more »

Denise
Reply to  cacey

Why are you int the 3b aisle then mmm if you do have kinkier hair than go to 4 aisle damn. I’m dominican too and I have 3b hair my hair is long and thick like Ana. She is just trying to give us information about what she does on her curly hair was the BIG DEAL!!! I agree 100% of what poster girl said

Reply to  Denise

I am 3b myself, actually, (it’s almost identical to Ana’s, judging by the pictures) and i would still respect the need for sisters with tighter curls to have their own separate space, because i’m not in denial about the fact that going natural for them tends to be a helluva much bigger deal than it is for those with looser curls. growing up i was always questioned on my ethnicity and still am, and continue to have to try to get black women with relaxers who say “you’ve got that good hair. chile i couldn’t go natural” to see their… Read more »

Felicia
Felicia
Reply to  Trust0811

Is a black Albino really black?! You should be ashamed of yourselves for your ignorant and racist comments! Grow the heck up! She’s beautiful and she’s a natural and if that makes you insecure than just shut it and move on.

Reply to  Felicia

yep, a black albino is really black. and your referencing black albinos makes no sense whatsoever, because every BLACK albino I have ever seen CLEARLY looked black despite their pale skin and hair. and also i’ve yet to see or meet an albino who did not fully consider themselves black. (check in the identity box) therefore the comparison falls short, because i specifically said above that showcasing someone who looks like Ana is akin to showcasing an all-out caucasian, the only difference being that Ana considers herself mixed whereas the caucasian would consider herself white. In my mind, neither of… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  cacey

I totally agree.…there are plenty of forums for all other women. Why keep infiltrating the few sites that are specific for black women.

Soleil
Reply to  Trust0811

I couldn’t agree more with Trust0811. Who are you to tell her she’s not black enough?? Not right. If she also identifies as “black” genetically (which Dominican’s do), than by all means, she’s black enough to be here. I come from a very diverse Caribbean family where we literally look anywhere from fair white with freckles and red hair, to chocolate brown skin with kinky curly 4 type hair. We ALL identify as black AND white (as well as other) whether we look it or not, because that’s what we are. Ana is just as much black as she is… Read more »

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  Soleil

I highly doubt you (or any black woman) would be saying this madness if Ana won a miss black beauty contest. For the record she isn’t black enough and cannot represent blackness. She is mixed and is correctly identifying herself as such. Learn the art of exclusion. Other groups do it and thats why they’re not easily infiltrated.

Reply to  Ms. Vee

Im also mixed, and I’d personally be happy for her and anyone else that won the prize. No matter their skin tone.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  Ms. Vee

sigh you don’t get it. She is beautiful. But she’s not supposed to win no black beauty prize.She cannot represent blackness.She represents being mixed. Whites wouldn’t claim her as white but no one questions that.

Reply to  Ms. Vee

Isn’t this ”miss Black beauty” prize for CURLY hair?

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  Ms. Vee

@Etain

Um no. The “miss black beauty prize” would be for a black person. Having Curly hair doesn’t automatically make you black just so you know. There are even white people with curly hair.

Reply to  Ms. Vee

I know thier are white people with curly hair. I have friends with curly hair that are fully white. And I know whier your coming from. I apoligize if i sounded rude earlyer. But what im trying to say is, is that what it all boils down do is that were all here to share what we know and contribute to BGLH and what it has to offer.

Soleil
Reply to  Trust0811

LOL
LOL
Reply to  cacey

A white woman was already featured on here and they had to shut down the comments because it was heated and rightfully so.

Tisha
Tisha
Reply to  cacey

She’s mixed like many of the previous icons have been AND like many of the readers of BGLH are, so I don’t see why all the uproar? If you don’t like reading about the mixed ladies than you do not have to read their Icon bios. There are enough flavors of black/mixed women under the Style Icon tab to suit everyone’s fancy.

Eric M
Eric M
Reply to  cacey

Um… My girlfriend goes on this site because she is natural and she sent me this via email to specifically look at your comment. Now let me begin my Spiel… WTF do you think you are to say she is not black because she is mixed? Number 1… Get off your pedestal and recognize that there are fairer skinned BLACK people who may or may not have other black features other than their hair. I am mixed, looking like I am hispanic with the only standout black features possibly being my skin color, so now I cannot be apart of… Read more »

Lo
Lo
Reply to  cacey

What is a black woman?? What do black women look like?? I’m curious bc I keep hearing this same thing. What makes you black??

Reply to  Lo

I don’t know you tell me. i could type in “black woman” in a google image search and it generate women that, if not black, are definitely close approxations. in any case, if you saw me walking down the street you would not confuse me with any other race, that’s for sure. i know you meant to pose this as a philosophical question, but it’s really not apart from the fact that race as it relates to black people is a concept devised by white supremacy.

Alexis
Alexis

This is sad.. Dominicans are mixed people described as Hispanic however they are predominately of African decent. She’s a beautiful daughter of the diaspora and it’s nothing wrong with her being featured here. If she was mixed with less European features there would be no problem. Our biracial beauties are still a part of our Black community.

Michelle
Michelle

I find it odd that the very people who want for their hair to be accepted can not accept another’s hair. Curly hair..even the ‘manageable’ kind is seen as undesirable or odd compared to straighter hair the world over..if non-black women embrace their multi-texture hair it will help to change what is thought of as ‘normal’.

Tanisha
Tanisha

Reading these comments make me laugh; this website features many mixed race people.So its okay for mixed race people who have dominantly black features to be featured on this site but not someone who was born with european features? Where is the line actually drawn? There is a form of double standard that is going on here; you diss her for being featured because she “looks white” which suggests some form of ignorance to the idea of genetics;Not all mixed race people have black features.Heck, two half black and half white people can conceive “white looking” offspring and offspring that… Read more »

Reply to  Tanisha

Wow!!! You laid it Down!!! I couldn’t have said it better!

lauryn
lauryn

The most amusing thing to me is that Ana posted last week about “The Struggle” with regards to her hair, but posted a very simple routine here…

sunray77
sunray77

She is not black.…plain and simple! My supervisor is white and has the same texture, thickness and curl pattern as Ana and she is fully white. I dont understand why other race are trying to be like us…

iva
iva
Reply to  sunray77

OMG, she’s NOT fully white, she’s dominican!! we (dominicans) are NOT fully white, unless our family is immigrant and is never mixed with a black person. I can’t understand why there’s so many people telling Ana what color she’s or what race, if they don’t even know what dominicans are.

Lo
Lo
Reply to  sunray77

So if she was a brown skin Dominican with the exact same hair would she would you consider her black then??

Shelly_Shelle
Shelly_Shelle
Reply to  Lo

Nope, she’d still be a Latina.…to herself and to the world. We might consider her as Black, if she considered herself as Black.

Libertad Araceli Tomas

What I’ve learned from being with a mixed race boyfriend(his mom is white from colombia and dad is black from haiti) is that being “black” is an experience. It’s not directly linked to skin color. My bf is probably just a shade darker than her with kinky hair like hers and thick lips and a broad nose but he is constantly being told he’s not black enough because of his skin color(i’m afraid to admit that I even thought so when i first met him) I’m afro-latina as well but i have dark skin so no one questions my “blackness”, in… Read more »

Tisha
Tisha

I am so heartbroken by some of the comments here. When did this site become so hateful? This young woman is merely sharing her hair routine and people are acting like she it setting kittens on fire. I’m a black latina woman and I enjoy coming to this site and seeing a variety of different types and flavors of other black/biracial women explain their hair and styles. It’s beautiful and the fact that some of you have a problem with that is really pathetic…And honestly, on a site as expansive as this one, would not it be just as easy to… Read more »

Reply to  Tisha

I couldn’t have said it better!

Reply to  Tisha

if you’re talking about me i pretty equally praise the hair of most of the women on this site with no thought of their texture. pretty, beautiful, well-maintained hair knows no colors/textures.

Shani
Shani

I am mixed and before you start thinking I ‘don’t belong’ my hair is 100000% BLACK and way kinky enough to obviously be accepted here. I have a very similar hair texture as my Dominican hair dresser, so some of these comments are not only ignorant but inaccurate. One thing I use to admire about these sites is respect for not following what is ‘expected’ and the diversity of all different types of hair. Love and support, not all this negativity — everyone’s hair journey is different and many Dominicans also fell victim to relaxers. But these comments remind me… Read more »

GETALIFE
GETALIFE

I followed this site for years..it is time to exit. My sister has the same exact hair as the young lady featured. I guess this site is not for her. WHEN DID BLACK WOMEN BECOME SO HATEFUL! INSECURE AND BITTER? LOOK AT THE COMMENTS ON ALL SOCIAL MEDIA? WE ARE THE ONLY ANGRY HATERS? IT’S JUST HAIR! WILL THIS site soon be PAPER BAG BROWN OR DARKER ONLY MAKE YOU MISERABLE LADIES FEEL LIKE YOUR WORTHY? THAT’S WHY I HATE THIS SITE? CURLY NIKKI FEATURES ALL TYPES OF CURLS AND SHOWS EACH OTHER RESPECT AND LOVE? FIRST U BITCH ABOUT… Read more »

welp
welp
Reply to  GETALIFE

Curly Nikki is white owned.

Laura Truesdale
Laura Truesdale

Anybody see the TRESemme advertisements in the background with smiley Caucasian women with their silky straight here…perfect place to advertise right…talk about that… “blackgirllonghair”

Jacky
Jacky

I love your hair.I LOVE SHRINKAGE TOO! because it helps me to shape and style my hair as i wish but somedays,i just wish i had perfectly defined curls like yours.

GoldenFlower
GoldenFlower

Ana your hair is beautiful. Take no notice of the ignorant comments. Thanks for your story 🙂

Natasha
Natasha

Couldn’t agree with you more,Getalife! This place is so hateful! And insecure biatches like Casey disgust the hell outta me! This site used to inspire me but now I have had enough. Peace

2 SNAPS!
2 SNAPS!

It’s not even how Ana looks that bothers me but it’s an article that I read of hers.. could be the same one from last week, or on CurlyNikki … I just don’t remember her saying out right “I’m Black,” and it’s not that she even HAD to. I just remember her saying otherwise.. like: “i’m such and such,” but not Black (I could be wrong though). So if she acknowledges her roots (no pun intended) then cool… but don’t be like certain Hispanic and mixed people and say you’re not Black until it benefits you, that is wack as… Read more »

Reply to  2 SNAPS!

and that’s exactly what i was arguing, that there should be a disclaimer because the site name is then misleading lol but people wanna call me an insecure “biatch”, which isn’t nice and pretty elementary, but okay haha

CherishBomb

I wish I could say I’m shocked by all the racist (I don’t why black people think we can’t be racist; get your life), segregationist, and plain ignorant comments getting multiple +1’s while those who make valid, intelligent points get several negative votes, but this had been a festering and intrusive plague on this site for some time now. You claim to embrace the broad spectrum of skintones and backgrounds that make up the natural hair community, you claim to accept all curl patterns, you claim to be oh so enlightened in your thinking, yet you clearly show your hypocritical… Read more »

Reply to  CherishBomb

actually now that i am aware it’s for “everybody” in short, perhaps i’ll relent. i was operating under the assumption that it was a site aimed at black women almost exclusively, but reading the statement you quoted, i suppose i’ll hafta take a seat. which is fine by me, because i wasn’t making comments out of an attempt to be a nazi or divisive. I pose my comments out of a general concern for black women. it’s as simple as that. if this isn’t the site for it, then there will be others. So long as my intent is understood… Read more »

Tanya
Tanya

petty…your hair is gorgeous…looking at your HAIR your input is definitely warranted. One of the first things you learn as a cosmetologist is that hair is based on its texture, not the person that has it. (fine, course, curly, straight, oily, etc..) If anyone actually read some of the products she uses are used by many of us and the time she has to put into her hair exceeds the amount of time Ive ever had to put into my hair. This aint no private party..this is hair. Get over it.

Tanya
Tanya

Tanya
Tanya

Tanya
Tanya

Tanya
Tanya

Reply to  Tanya

I totally agrea!

Etain

I love your hair! How long did it take to grow that length?
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/02a96f657c08f6733538f88d05e7c932.jpg[/img]

Shelly_Shelle
Shelly_Shelle

BLACK = Descendants of African enslaved brought to the continental UNITED STATES during the transatlantic slave trade. Ie. the Black Experience. Creators of most things trendy in the modern world from fashion, music, language, inventions. **Black Pass given to some who fully adopt our culture 😉 AFRICAN DESCENDANT = Persons with African ancestory inclusive of the African Diaspora (Latinos, Blacks), Africans, African immigrants, Bi/Multi-racial first generation. I’m assuming that the creator of this website (who appears to be Black) initially intended for this site to be a resource & community for BLACK women with natural hair; as this natural hair movement… Read more »

Reply to  Shelly_Shelle

Hi shelly,in regards to your recent comment are u saying BGLH should ‘limit’ their members or bloggers to only African American black woman?

Shelly_Shelle
Shelly_Shelle
Reply to  Etain

Hi Etain, Absolutely NOT. I enjoy seeing the natural hair movement in other countries, and on other nationalities via this site. However, I believe this site has evolved from its original intent which was probably for Black women with natural hair, to African descendants worldwide with natural hair. I’m cool with that. **I’ve been making distinctions of what is considered Black because there seems to be confusion about Black people versus African descendants. As a Black person, I can’t go to Eritrea talking about I’m Eritrean and we’re all the same. It’s the same for other groups talking about they’re… Read more »

Reply to  Shelly_Shelle

Hi shelly! I understand where your coming from, but ana’s article about her hair regimen really helped me and im shure lots of other naturals. She may be struggling with excepting her natural hair, but didn’t we all? Im also mixed with 3b/3c hair. And like I said I do understand what your saying, But she’s just trying to share what she Knows.

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Shelly_Shelle

I’m not sure I understand how African Americans are “black” and have traditional “black hair” and Africans do not…Eritrea and Ethiopia being the only two countries in Sub-Saharan whose hair texture and origins are different..

TinyTim
TinyTim
Reply to  Shelly_Shelle

Are you Latina? Please stop speaking for us you sound ignorant.

Chris
Chris

I want your curls!

Reply to  Chris

Its so long!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/640x517_5530_Hairstorm_2d_wind_girl_hair_storm_ethnic_hairstorm_portrait_fantasy_beauty_picture_image_digita.jpg[/img]

JellyBeanie
JellyBeanie

What the actual fuck is wrong with some of you people. I know this is old, but gosh this made me sick to my stomach. Leave her alone… we are all on here for a reason…race didnt bring us together. A need of knowledge did. Fuck off if you seriously need to be the person to tell “whos black and who isn’t”. Again, i know this is old but i needed to vent,also maybe some ignorant person will see this and itll stop them ;)).

Tyler

Girl, that HAIR!

Jamie
Jamie

I am from the Dominican Republic myself and I can totally relate to Ana. Yes, we might be light skinned and not Americans, but we turn to these “black” websites because we too want to learn about our hair and how to embrace it. We also grew up with the idea that “Good hair is straight hair”, so we’ve been fighting our curls all our lives.

I have learned SO MUCH from these beautiful black women about loving and caring for my hair.