What if White Women Got the “Can I Touch Your Hair?” Question All the Time

Avatar • Oct 9, 2013

In a multi-slide feature for NaturallyCurly.com, cartoonist Tall N Curly has re-imagined a world where curly hair is the mainstream, and straight hair is ‘exotic’. Click here to check out the whole thing. And we do recommend it because it’s pretty amazing!

But it’s this image that has sparked a conversation online:

Seeing the tables turned has generated discussion on whether the infamous ‘hair touching’ question is appropriate or fair. What do you think ladies?

Nyala
Nyala

They already do! I have seen many black girls in class sit around and marvel at how soft “real white hair is.” And that’s why I don’t really understand the hype out about black women and other races touching our natural hair. We should be happy, in my opinion proud, that hair is attractive enough to draw attention like that as well.

As long is no one is mashing their fingers through your hair, tugging at it, or doing it for a negative response — go ahead! (as long as they have your permission)

coco
coco
Reply to  Nyala

i don’t like that you’re suggesting that we should be “happy”. you make it sound as though we should be “so grateful” that other races of people “approve” of us. this line of thinking among black folks bugs the hell out of me.

also, usually they’re not doing it because they find our hair attractive — it’s more of a strange curiosity to them. when black girls ooh and ahh over a white girl’s hair in their class, it’s because it’s something that is shoved in their faces in the mainstream media all the time come to life.

KD Mills
KD Mills
Reply to  coco

I definitely don’t think it’s a suggestion to “be happy” or you should be “be grateful”. However, if you take it to that place, your entire outlook will be negative. I find it very flattering, and a further affirmation that I’m a Queen. Other races covet what we have, and that happens to be something to be proud of. Do not touch my hair without permission, but depending on the person, situation, and request I would fulfill someones curiosity. I take pride in my mane, and wear it as a Crown. Even the darkest moments have light to them ;o)

JoSomebody
JoSomebody
Reply to  KD Mills

Random strangers don’t touch queens, especially without permission. So more like an unusual, harmless animal perhaps?

Sharon
Sharon
Reply to  Nyala

I am mixed (Black n White). I grew up in the Caribbean where women do each others hair ALL THE TIME! In secondary school, girls would undo each others hair and style it in some intricate braids. This created a bond among the girls who would be complimented about the styles that they had created in each others hair. Black and White people have been curious about the texture of my hair and wanted to touch my thick curls. Depending on the person, I don’t mind.

fail..
fail..

I can honestly without a doubt say I do not care what a white womens hair feel like. Along with any other womans hair white, black, red, or purple. You don’t see men going around saying dude let me touch your beard.
People may not go around touching white folks hair in America, but watch National Geographic. Saw a whole tribe touching this white womans hair.
Some will have problems with it. Some won’t care. Same as any race of women.

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  fail..

Technically yes I have seen men ask to touch other men’s beards. Especially when they get creative with the beard hair. I My husband asked a guy who was a “Greaser” if he could feel his hair cause the Coif ( might have spelt that wrong) that he had was really nice and he wanted to feel if the product made it rock hard or greasy. The dude was nice enough to say sure as he lit his cigarette. My husband was surprised that it was neither.

fail..
fail..
Reply to  Tabatha

Thats just weird lol
Im sorry I just don’t understand the want/need to touch someone elses hair or body unless you are a doctor or hair stylist.
Relatives, close friends…yes, but random strangers.…no…

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

WAITS FOR THE DRAMA TO BEGIN

ADRZ
ADRZ

JUST DON“T TOUCH MY HAIR, I mean it personal and Period! Or I will cut your hand off myself!

I don’t care abt the hype..I am only telling you to not touch my hair.

me :)
me :)
Reply to  ADRZ

woah.… calm down. as wrong as you may feel touching someone’s hair is, im sure that if a person kindly asks to touch your hair they don’t mean any harm by it. (its still your right to say no, but you don’t have to be so aggressive about it, especially if a person was kind when hey asked)

ADRZ
ADRZ
Reply to  me :)

A person may ask kindly. I am aggressive for many reasons which is my rights. I am tired of many touching my hair after I just washed with detoxing “hair designed” soap and deep conditioning. Even a little girl with natural hair touched my hair just because hers was not growing properly, she straighten it earlier in twa with heat and she pretended to mess my hair up in hairstyle. My family members—oh my God ‚don’t get me started. Everytime I visit them, they would jump with a shocked face and said wow your hair is growing curlier and thicker.… Read more »

ADRZ
ADRZ
Reply to  me :)

I never touch ppl hair. i just don’t see point to. I can see easier by looking around it. i would know what it is like , no need touching. It is disrepecting. My cousin is not natural , her dad (my uncle and other hairstyle aunt) still agree with me that noone should touch unless asking. My cousin’s hair is long and thick, i bet a lot ppl touching w/o her permission. I ain’t gotta be kind and agree to let random ppl touching with germy hands.

Chanell
Chanell
Reply to  ADRZ

I actually like when people touch my hair. Its not a big deal. Its fucking hair. It’ll grow back. I can wash it clean. Its just hair. I can’t see myself getting my blood pressure up over it.

Heather
Heather
Reply to  Chanell

Some people have anger issues that manifest in other ways, like comments on a hair blog lol

ADRZ
ADRZ
Reply to  Chanell

Why are you replying to me? I don’t care abt others touching your hair because it is your own choice and body. But with me, it is a personal thing. You may say “oh well it is just a hair” Come on…you don’t see women just come in salon w/o crying or say aw even saying bye to hair, before get bc. I know it will grow back. But to many women, it is really personal just like breast. Might you can’t admit it or don’t care. You would not say it unless you are wearing mini braids and some… Read more »

Only Sideburns
Only Sideburns

Dude!! Lemme get achya beard!!

*stretches out hand (which would then be amputated.…of course)*

Lol

Charlese
Charlese
Reply to  Only Sideburns

I totally wanna touch people’s beards. So sad that it’s frowned upon. 🙁

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  Charlese

Lol, I know I touch beards too. My friend’s mother’s boyfriend had such a long beard when I was a little girl I would beg him to let me braid it. He finally caved in for a Halloween.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Its funny that this was posted cause White people do get the same question just not as often. I grew up in mostly Latino and Caucasian areas and they both get the same questions. Latinas get it the most during their holidays where they are dressed in their native clothes and such. Even Asians. When I was in Japan I asked a Geisha if I could touch her hair. She looked at me like I was crazy, but she let me. When something looks different people want to touch. What can I say, I’m a toucher. I’m sorry.

Midwestnija
Midwestnija

I grew up in a 99.99% white area. White women ask to touch each other’s hair. It’s really not that weird.

Michelle
Michelle

Unfortunately I did that already … sort of, the person was of East Indian descent and I just wanted to know what naturally straight hair felt like because I always thought it would feel (and smell) like dolly hair. I know it’s retarded but I asked her permission though, curlies aren’t the only ones who would drop-kick you for randomly touching their hair.

Hope
Hope
Reply to  Michelle

I really don’t think it’s a big deal or something to apologize for. It’s very subjective. If the person gave you permission and didn’t cringe then it’s fine.

cacey
cacey

i think that what we tend to forget is that black women actually love to touch white girls’ or womens’ hair when there happens to be one we are close to, as friends or some such. i remember how when i was in school, majority black, well…all black except for one girl, how the black girls were ALWAYS wanting to touch this one white girl’s hair. it’s not just white women who are curious to touch our hair, in this weird one-sided fashion a lot of naturalistas tend to over-emphasize. it works the same in reverse too. i’ve touched a… Read more »

FROget'boutit
FROget'boutit
Reply to  cacey

The operative word is “close”. I am almost certain the frustration of many is not due to close people they know, but people they barely know, complete randoms on the street and so on and so forth.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  FROget'boutit

point taken.

TWA4now
TWA4now

With my permission. sure touch my hair but ASK. One time, an acquaintance just reached out and started touching and slightly pulling on my twist. Yes, she was black, I thought something was in my hair but after a few seconds, I had to question her and ask her to STOP (her hair was relaxed). I guess she was curious! #askme1st

Allow It
Allow It

If I want to known what Caucasian/ straight hair feels like then I’d rather go to the hair shop and feel some weave.

Emma J B W
Emma J B W

I am a Londoner, born and bred. I visited NYC for the first time last summer and was surprised to have a lady in the queue behind me at the Empire State Building ask me if she could touch my hair. To be honest, it was a bit of a shock as I’ve never had anything like that from a stranger. I said “I’d really rather you didn’t” and returned to my day. It is not common in my experience to want to touch anything on a complete stranger. I didn’t know where her hands had been and she didn’t know… Read more »

Candice
Candice

The same way I have a problem when women just run up and touch someone’s pregnant belly, I have a problem with people touching my hair. And I do think that it’s different when white women ask to touch black women’s hair. White women want to touch our hair because they find it “exotic.” Somehow, this is a new, never-before-seen experience for them because they didn’t know that black hair could be beautiful. They have held negative opinions about black hair and now seeing you is rocking their little world because they expected to touch it and for it to… Read more »

Leimi
Leimi

I think someone has the obvious right to not want another person touching their hair it is invading personal space for one and where have their hands been? I have very thick bushy hair and I find quite a lot of the time people are fascinated by it, sometimes I don’t mind with friends etc but because I have natural afro carribean hair that isn’t an open invitation to jump into my scalp!! Besides I have previously experienced from me allowing a large amount of people to touch my hair that the texture and growth patterns can change so I’m… Read more »

Nina

I work w/several white women & not one has touched my hair but I do get lots of compliments. At bible study where there is majority black women, I get compliments AND touching from the AA women w/NO permission asked 1st, ever. I don’t get mad. I just take this opportunity to share what I have learned about healthy hair care.

Lady4c
Lady4c

I live in Europe, as much as there are alot of ethnicities here, there are still and ALWAYS gonna be people who will be so at we when they see anybody of colour. I remember in class girl asked me if they could touch my hair and their reaction was sooo retarded “Omg it feels like a lil sheep!” ‘Wow, how do u comb it” and i was just staring at my friends like.. ‑_- look at these chicks… As much as i know it wasnt ment wrong. But ever since that time i never let people touch my hair.… Read more »

Lady4c
Lady4c
Reply to  Lady4c

*in awe

Storr
Storr

It is a matter of preference, culture, environment… I don’t like strangers touching any part of me. A lady touched my arm when I was eating the other day and I almost hyperventilated. Imagine if someone touches my hair. I really really hate it. Unless I know and feel comfortable with that person. Then I feel ok about it. It just depends. I’m from the NE where hugging and touching isn’t so common. But for some it may be a compliment to have other people touch them. There is no one way to look at this. People stare at my… Read more »

Ariel
Ariel

The tables has been turned and black women has asked to touch white hair out of curiosity because the closest thing they had were dolls, weaves, and wigs-especially if you’ve only seen black hair. touching anything without permission isn’t ok because it’s invading personal space. I’ve been asked by black, white, and Hispanics could they touch my hair. If I had the time I would explain to them a little bit about black hair and watch the fascination arouse upon their faces. I just feel like some black women get offended and plays the victim over anything when you can… Read more »

...
...
Reply to  Ariel

Actually it can be very hard to tell if someone is malicious. If it were that easy there would be no words like back-stabbers, frauds, or two-faced. Things like wolves in sheeps clothing.…politicians, crooked police officers. Lets not forget slave catchers.…these are just a few examples.

Stephanie
Stephanie

I have a hair fetish… I will touch anyone’s hair if they let me (black, white, green or purple)… I’m fascinated by hair. I used to run my hands through this guy’s hair when I worked at McDonald’s, lol. He was white and he had soft blond hair. It was stringy as hell. I cut this Asian girl’s hair in college. It was long and heavy with the thickest strands of straight hair I have ever seen. I cut it from her butt to her chin. I permed hair. I braided hair. I’ve shaved hair off. I’ve helped a ton of my… Read more »

foxy
foxy

if you grew up in the American school system or even teach, you would see that girls already do this. I’ve seen black girls from kindergarten to high school playing and being in “awe” over so-so hair bc it’s long and straight “white” hair, but I don’t see it with adults, i dont see adult black women running their hands through adult white women hair, but white women, who should know better bc they are grown, do this why?

Mandy
Mandy

I’m white and have always had very thick, generally straight hair. My mother kept it long when I was a kid and people always wanted to get their fingers in it. My daughter’s hair is exactly the same way and she gets the same reactions. As an adult, I’ve worked with pretty diverse populations and there have been people from a variety of ethnic backgrounds interested in touching my hair. I was a little startled the one time someone touched it without asking, but it was a 9‑year-old girl so I cut her some slack. Now, if an adult touched… Read more »

Simone Biles
Simone Biles

This is a difficult issue for me to discern most of the time. I am natural and sometimes get the, “Can I touch it” question and depending on who it’s from, can be irritating. I have noticed though, in that moment, it’s annoying because somewhere in me there is a deeply rooted insecurity about my hair. I have friends of all backgrounds and races. Many of whom, who have not had a lot of black natural friends and have never been close enough to ask questions about our hair or even to get the courage to ask to touch it.… Read more »

Sjamie
Sjamie

When people ask to touch another persons hair.…to SOME people it may translate to “CAN I TOUCH YOU”.…LOL which is VERY personal..

For me it would depend on the intention..if it were a child then yes because it’s a natural harmless curiosity. If it were a stranger..I’d have to question them..like can I touch your hair too? I know the real thing is that we are leaving relaxers behind and this generation has really never seen our true locks. Maybe they will learn that God really does make other beautiful textures and is creative.

the MANE CAPTAIN

lol, thats funny.But Indians tend to have greesier hair. my hispanic friend toldme she has to shampoo her hair EVERYDAY! because it gets so greasy.
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Odee
Odee

Oh for crying out loud its just hair!

MiMi
MiMi
Reply to  Odee

its not just hair.… its a womans crown and glory .…

Sheena
Sheena
Reply to  Odee

Right!!! I don’t get the whole annoyed at people wanting to touch it! Afro hair hasn’t been around so much in decades! Most people didn’t even know black hair grew out like that. Of course folks are courious. If you don’t want people touching it say no and move on with your life! Lol

Funlayo
Reply to  Sheena

A large part of the issue is that sometimes you aren’t given the opportunity to say no. People (overwhelmingly white) often feel like they have a right to invade your personal space, touch you, and then act surprised and cast you as “the angry black woman” when you express disapproval. I had locs for many years and would literally have people (white women, mainly) that I didn’t know approach me touch my hair without asking and then make unsolicited comments (“Wow it feels dry! Oh it feels different than I thought!”). Now, I don’t often wear my hair exposed but… Read more »

Ms. K
Ms. K
Reply to  Funlayo

Wow, you really just wrote how I have felt since living in the south were there is a lot of present day segregation that I did not experience up north. I have people ask me if it’s my real hair (mainly white) as if in disbelief that our hair could truly be that beautiful or long…It does stem from a deeper issue that I think can be fixed by being an adult and verbalizing that a) you either do not like people touching you or any part of you. or b) Allowing them to and being more so open to… Read more »

Ayane
Ayane
Reply to  Sheena

I know I didn’t know and once I started learning about it and I began to love my hair and what this could signify. 😀

Nancy
Nancy
Reply to  Sheena

LOL! I know I was curious when I was transitioning! I squeezed the Afro puff of a little girl in my congregation. So I do not knock those who are curious. My only thing is ask first. It’s kind of creepy to sneak up on me and feel my hair.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Sheena

i agree with you. when i was growing up i didn’t know what ‘black hair’ looked like.not really, even though i’d been natural pretty much all my life lol a big part of that was just that i’d never paid attention, even to my own hair, so far as texture and curl was concerned, and once i started doing my own hair i always blow dried it and never looked at it for too long in the mirror, so focused was i on the intended result (straightness). all the black women i’d ever seen back in the day all wore… Read more »

alisonzunguze
alisonzunguze
Reply to  Odee

Thank you, it is just hair.

ScriptTease
ScriptTease

It would not have the same affect, as a matter a fact it would further fatten their ego and belief that Black Women long to be like them.

Give them something else to talk about while they shoot the breeze with their girl friends. Somebody tell me I’m wrong.

AllyCat
AllyCat

she tried it

gigi
gigi

lol hair.….

Beth
Beth

I have long hair & people are always TELLING me that I need to donate it!! It’s my hair, part of my body, don’t TELL me what to do with any part of my body!!!

Josephine Odion
Josephine Odion

I have a problem… How do I tell my boss/colleagues to stop touching my hair…? I’ve tried being polite, no much luck with that. I say it ruins the style when people grope at it, but they’re like ‘what style’, like my hair is already a wild but exotic mess’, they’ve even called my hair a bush, which although doesn’t offend me, I really wouldn’t want to addressed that way in public. I even say they wouldn’t be tryna put their hands in my hair if it was a weave, and they deny that… but truth is, they don’t do… Read more »

Nancy
Nancy

I guess just keep respectfully reminding them and tell them that it makes you uncomfortable if they do not understand that to messes up your style. Be firm but respectful.

Ashley
Ashley

Wow. People at work keep touching your hair? I’m sorry that’s happening to you.

I would say something like, “I’m glad you like my hair, but you need to stop touching it. You don’t see me touching yours.”

Or, if you are feeling particularly grumpy, “Can you stop that, please? It’s kind of annoying to have your hands all up in my face.”

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  Ashley

Or… just ask them to stop, and if they keep doing it, give them the look of death and say, “I said stop.”

Nikki
Nikki

Why not just report to the higher ups about this behavior and take account of the time & date that this person has done this. Bosses aren’t allowed to make their employees feel uncomfortable in any way.

Ann-on-y-mous
Ann-on-y-mous

If you work for a somewhat large company that has an HR Department, you may want to report it. That kind of behavior (touching your hair, which is an extension of you) can be considered harassment.

fluffy in flight
fluffy in flight

Easy as pie, when they are touching your hair, just be touching their hair back. Sometimes approach them even when they are not touching you and play in their hair. I’m assuming that’s it women of course — when they get to see what it really feels like to have unwanted hands in their hair, then i’m assuming that they will stop. By the way bring something along in case they ruin your style, but play in their hair as they play in yours.

lala
lala

As a white teacher in a school with about 60% African American population…I do get this all the time. I just explain that I like my personal space, but don’t judge the kids for asking.

Klaudia
Klaudia

I’m white and I have very long blonde hair, and I also get the can I touch your hair question… whats the big deal. It’s more flattering then anything. I’ve also asked black women if I can touch their hair not because I’m being rude or weird but because I’m fascinated. Its natural to want to touch something that appeals to you, silk.. luxurious furs.. etc. Stop being so sensitive.

Reply to  Klaudia

I don’t understand why white people are on this site…
like your opinion is valued.

Reply to  Well

This blog is for everyone, don’t be racist

And yes in black and yes I want to hear what Kluadia has to say!!

Reply to  Curly girl

If it were for everyone it wouldn’t say BLACKgirllonghair.
So you and Klaudia can take your ever loving selves and have a meet up where you can touch her hair and make her feel special while she touches your hair and compares it to animal fur.

Reply to  Well

RACIST!!!!

Don’t presum you can tell me or anyone else what to do or say!!!!

Reply to  Well

lol You mad bro 🙂

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Well

interesting. you don’t know if she’s on this site because she has black relatives, half black children, black step children, and whatnot. why presume?
besides, you have no right to tell anyone they don’t belong on a site. this isn’t your site, you pay absolutely nothing in the way of its upkeep, you’re not a designated moderator (even if you may fallaciously believe yourself so) so come off the negativity.

Mandy
Mandy
Reply to  Well

I can’t speak for why others are here, but I originally came here because I have a child who is of another race than my own and I wanted to educate myself on how to care for his hair properly. I have stayed, however, because I think it’s valuable to read the different perspectives that are represented on this site. I don’t actually want to stay in my white bubble.

Reply to  Mandy

all are welcome Mandy…

Just ignore WELL… who consequently is not WELL in the head … Lol

Reply to  Curly girl

Keep bowing down Curly. I bet it smells good up in them white womens a** since you are way up in it.

Reply to  Curly girl

You don’t know me!

Reply to  Curly girl

@ WELL…

Reply to  Curly girl

Well is impersonating me above… WHAT A LOSER

I never wrote this.…

WELL is clearly WAKO!!!!!!

” Curly girl
OCTOBER 10, 2013 AT 3:29 PM
You don’t know me!
My whole family is white. I was adopted by these generous white people that loved me for the ugly black child that I am. At prom they even paid a white guy to take me, because I was to afraid of the big black men. I love white people. They can touch me and say anything they want!!”

Reply to  Curly girl

@ WELL…

Reply to  Curly girl

It’s better to be an ass that a** than a COOCH!!!

Reply to  Curly girl

@Curly girl

look I know you like a**, but please leave your moms Cooch out of this that’s just nasty

Reply to  Curly girl

*LICKS 🙂

Reply to  Curly girl

Oh please! My mothers cooch wouldn’t cut it. I like vanilla cooch!!

Reply to  Curly girl

IS THERE A MODERATOR ON THIS WEBSITE… WELL IS IMPERSONATING ME.… I THOUGHT THIS SITE WAS FOR EVERYONE TO PARTICIPATE AND GIVE THEIR OPINION ON A SUBJECT THAT AFFECTS ALL WOMEN OF ALL RACES BUT CLEARLY THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!!!.… WELL WROTE ALL THESE INAPPROPRIATE COMMENTS : ————————————- Curly girl OCTOBER 10, 2013 AT 4:20 PM @ WELL… better to be up in her a** than your NASTY COOCH**!!!!!… and yes your stench wreaks all over this blog I never wrote this. Someone is impersonating me. How’d they know my mothers cooch stinks!! Thumb up Thumb down 0 Curly girl OCTOBER 10, 2013 AT 4:22 PM It’s… Read more »

Jax
Jax
Reply to  Well

You’re so ignorant.

Catherine
Catherine
Reply to  Klaudia

I can understand why you believe people touching hair is not important. I mean, it seems silly, right? But for me, a 16 year-old African American girl who goes to a school with 85% Caucasian, 10% Asian American and Hispanic, and 5% African American students, 4 of which have natural hair, others touching my hair does get me upset. No one touched my hair up until I got into this high school. Before then people would stand back and admire/poo-poo it, but no one even thought to ask me if they could touch it, out of common decency. Now, at… Read more »

yahya
Reply to  Klaudia

but would you like it if, like in the illustration, curly girls commented that your hair looks formless and feels like spagetti? its not flattering. I think you’re missing the point. being curious about another girl’s texture is okay, being rude about it while being curious is not okay. comparing curly hair to luxurious furs is kinda an example of that. it’s like a curly girl in a curly majority world comparing your hair to luxurious yorkie fur… it’s weird and insensitive.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/yahyaavatar.png[/img]

yahya
Reply to  yahya

oops, I meant to upload my avatar, not a whole picture… haha, sorry

Catherine
Catherine
Reply to  yahya

Yes, it would be fine if we could just give compliments about each others hair — I think that calling anyone’s hair formless or “spaghetti-like” is rude. But my point is, its not like girls who don’t have “black” hair are always complimenting — they usually are making very shallow or rude comments to describe the hair. They don’t go, “oh, It’s so pretty!”. They go “why is it do puffy?” “what did you do to make it like that?” “when are you going to do your hair?” and things like that. I think the point the article was attempting… Read more »

Catherine
Catherine
Reply to  yahya

Sorry, that was supposed to be in reply to Klaudia, but something got mixed up. My bad!

CurlyQ53
CurlyQ53
Reply to  yahya

Thing is, the way the world is now, we curly girls face rude, unflattering comments as it is in the name of curiosity. So if this is an exact reversal of roles, those comments would be realistic. The way the straight-haired chick is feeling? That’s how WE feel. THAT’S the point.

Catherine
Catherine
Reply to  CurlyQ53

I completely agree.

Nancy
Nancy

In some countries they do get that question. Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Curly girl

Please don’t touch my hair…

Yes it makes me very uncomfortable.

It feels like my space is being invaded.

Touching my hair is too intimate.

So if the person is a friend or may be curious and comes across as friendly I sometimes allow it.

But get this…
I also jave baby soft skin and people who accidentally brush on me then try to stroke my skin…

It’s inappropriate to touch a person hair or stoke their skin without their permission !!!

Have some manner and ask before you touch

thezenjen1
thezenjen1

I’m a light skinned black woman with long hair that has a number of different textures and colors throughout. My daughter has similar hair.…maybe a little longer. It wasn’t untill she was in second grade and came home upset (almost in tears) because people keep touching her hair that I realized that it is damaging to the self esteem. she was not frustrated, she had the feeling that she was different and “strange”. She liked to wear her hair out with a headband but I noticed by that summer all she wanted was braids. I asked my mother if I… Read more »

Amma Mama

I don’t mind people touching my hair. Black people always touch it without asking. I can’t recall someone from another race asking to touch my hair or touching it without my permission. When I was relaxed, I hated for anyone to touch my hair. I was very protective of my fresh wraps. It’s not that I don’t care about people’s hands in my natural strands but I notice that I have to explain natural hair to black people more than any other race. I don’t mind at all, I like to educate my people and let them know our hair… Read more »

Veronika

I have a mixed 5yo child with exotic look yet blue eyes and light brown curly hair. People constantly touch it without even asking and she really hates it. She wants no strangers touching her and the end of the story! She doesn’t care about people liking her hair and her look, all she wants is privacy — and she gets mad every time these strangers violate it. So it is me who has to calm her down time after time and I’d say it’s not fun at all. I’s flattering to hear people saying that she’s got pretty hair etc… Read more »

Reply to  Veronika

Here we go with that mixed=exotic crap.

alisonzunguze
alisonzunguze
Reply to  Well

That was very disrespectful. Its not c**p. She is participating in this comment thread. Whats your problem?

Veronika
Reply to  Well

Sure, she doesn’t want to hear that mixed= exotic crap either but it is others who bring it up every single day from both blacks and whites, we are living in a very touristy environment and are surrounded by all kinds of people and races.
But we want no no physical contact please, kids may dislike it as much as adults do, that was my point.

Nikki
Nikki

ultimately you have to respect peoples point of view about hair touching. some people are more physically affectionate and they touch. others (such as myself) are a very private and highly need a respect for my personal space which is why i dont like hugs, people touching my hair, etc. the best way to avoid this if you’re a person interested in touching someones hair is to ask and if they say no, respect that they said no. also, parents should teach their children this rule, while they are young.

ethel

What if what if.… its always about the angle from where to look. For instance for me there is no tables turned — thats everyday life for me. I happen to be European living in Africa. So they not only want to touch my hair but skin too. People just are attracted to check out anything thatis different — whatever that different is then…straight or curly…

Yolanda
Yolanda

I have heard, “Can I touch your hair”, since I was in middle school and I am still hearing it today as an adult. But I hear it from black men and women, but never in a bad way. Since birth I have been complimented about my hair, and in middle school is when people started asking me if they can touch it. My hair texture is wavy, curly, kinky, and straight; all-in-one! It is very wavy about 3 inches from my scalp and then it goes straight. When I wash it then the all-in-one appears (wavy, curly, kinky, and… Read more »

Briell
Briell

I don’t see the big deal. If someone asks to touch your hair, simply respond with a yes or no. Natural hair is very beautiful and admirable. If the shoe was on the other foot (as the picture states), i would probably ask a Caucasian friend if i could touch her hair as well! Out of admiring something different. Don’t take your insecurities for yourself out on the world!

Newly Natural
Newly Natural

Brielle — The problem is that not everyone asks. Also, when it’s followed with statements like “that’s so weird” or scrunched noses, the person has traveled to the offensive side.

Briell
Briell

@Newly Natural- I totally can understand why that would be offensive to some. Touching anything of someone’s with out asking is unacceptable. I however feel that if one is truly confident with their hair,those remarks wouldn’t matter so much. It’s all about being comfortable in your own skin (or hair for the matter lol).

Iva
Iva
Reply to  Briell

So wait…you have to let someone touch your person whenever they ask/don’t ask and then not get offended when they say something rude or inappropriate because, if you do that means you lack confidence?

Yeah.….I don’t think so.

And I am someone who genuinely does not mind if people (with clean hands) ask to touch my hair as long as they understand that I have the right to say no and that it is not a license for them make disparaging comments about it because it is not what they expected it to be. To each her own.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha
Reply to  Iva

Lol I have more African American ask to touch my hair then any other race. I touch the hair of other races. Esp. If I think it’s gorgeous or healthy. We talk about what they use, or have done and keep moving. However I have not went up to a total stranger. Perhaps people I know somewhat, but I really don’t get this “don’t touch my hair” issue. Just say, No. For me, I wish they touch, wash, and style it. Because I have a conditioner on while reading this blog, and I’m tired and lazy. Lol.

Stranger
Stranger
Reply to  Iva

She didn’t say that she said say yes or no but what is the big deal. Nice way to twist her words.

Briell
Briell

No need to be offended ladies, i’m just stating my opinion here. Iva, if you re read my statement, it actually says, “Touching anything of someone’s with out asking is unacceptable”. And yes i do believe that the bulk of this problem stems from individual insecurities.
Goodnight ladies be blessed

fatsamantha
fatsamantha
Reply to  Briell

You’re white, aren’t you?

Briell
Briell
Reply to  fatsamantha

I am african american.

sara
sara
Reply to  fatsamantha

Just bc someone’s opinion is of moderate intelligence, they have to be white fatsamantha? Lets not turn this into a race issue and focus on the topic at hand.

Allison
Allison

Although I see the point this cartoon is trying to prove, it actually hits home for me. I’m a white girl who grew up in West Africa, and when my family and I would go to the market, hands would reach out from all directions to touch my hair. I used to scream and wish out loud that I had hair like the other Ivorian girls to avoid all the attention. When I got back to the States, I was shocked that “Can I touch your hair?” was an issue for black girls here in what’s supposed to be a… Read more »

Lynette Rickman
Lynette Rickman
Reply to  Allison

Thank you for understanding through experience. It is hard to be ‘different’ anywhere. Hopefully the world becoming more connected will have positive results in accepting differences. Bottom line, if you dont/do want folks touching you, only you can say what makes you comfortable. As more people start accepting their differences and allow them to manifest different will become acceptable, until then, consider yourselves pioneer, of a sort.

fatsamantha
fatsamantha
Reply to  Allison

shut the fuck up

Samantha
Samantha
Reply to  fatsamantha

You have the most negative comment on this page, who are you to swear at someone for a simple opinion, you must be mental.…

Tekiebelu
Tekiebelu
Reply to  Samantha

Or a troll…

ScriptTease
ScriptTease

I have more black folks wanting to touch my hair than anything. Also,another thing, my co-worker a white chick with a bi-racial son was telling me how “Black Women” would always approach her about what good hair her son had.… all I could do was SMDH.

Joyce S
Joyce S
Reply to  ScriptTease

Me too! I have locs and in Texas were you do not see alot of Black Women with them. There are some but most wear weaves and perms. A lot of them ask about my hair care routine and what not. I don’t mind and all of them have asked permission before they touch. Good experiences so far.

hmm
hmm

I don’t want strangers touching my hair period. Now if it’s a friend/ class mate maybe but still I’d rather not be petted.

Also, my hair is not always on point when it comes to moisture. Some days it’s softer, some days it’s dryer.. I don’t want to be representative of all black hair and what it feels like. We all know how if one black person is _______ than all black people are ______. Well you know the rest.

Zz
Zz

They do… People quickly forget ? Think about it, elementary school, high school or anytime Black girls became friends with a white girl… Their hands were always in their head…

deb
deb
Reply to  Zz

no their shed hair was always on my stuff…lol…

Samantha
Samantha
Reply to  Zz

Your just being completely prejudice, so your saying african- american girls just want to be friends with white girls because of their so called *perfect* grade of hair not true! I see white women all in a black womans face. So technically your judgement is completely wrong and you have earned yourself a dislike!

Catherine
Catherine

Uh, sorry, that was supposed to be in response to Klaudia. Sorry!

Rou
Rou

That cartoonist sure has a good sense of humor! I thought it was amusing to see TV stars and musicians with curly and coily hair, especially Oprah, Barack, and Michelle! 😀

SUZIE Q.
SUZIE Q.

I think it’s weird. I am also very offended when strangers come up and run their filthy hands through my son’s hair. He’s only one year old and whether they ask or not he cannot give an answer. For me, it has nothing to do with asking or not asking though anyway or my feelings about AA hair, I just prefer people to keep their hands to themselves. I have never felt the urge/desire to touch a Caucasian person’s hair or anybody for that matter. I see that it is different from afar and there is no need for me… Read more »

Sabrina Antoinnette (link to Instagram)

I laughed to death at this. I really feel that everyone has blown the whole touching of the hair topic far out of proportion. Yes, it’s an invasion of personal space. No, I don’t like or condone that in any way — BUT if a person is genuine and respectful it is fine.

All and all people need to truly use dicernment and pick/choose their battles a touch better based on gauging a persons’ intentions.

SN: we are definitely not against each other here. Whew, these comments get WAY out of hand.

baj
baj

It’s so funny to see how sensitive people are about other’s curiosity towards them! Come on people, stop being so sensitive. ITS JUST HAIR! hahahaha

Bl?
Bl?

Touching is a intimate exchange of energy between two people and hair is a body part. Most people are uncomfortable with people touching their head and face. Hair just a covering think of the other places we grow hair and we don’t want strangers touching the hair in those places either, it should be logical. Our mothers taught us early on nor to touch every thing we see.

Samantha
Samantha
Reply to  Bl?

I agree with you, in most countires like Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia hair for women is to only be shared with those close to them not strangers this is girls and women wear hijabs, to cover their faces and hair.

Carrie
Carrie

#OnlyInAmerica

Blu
Blu

Well traveled its world. It’s about politeness really. lol

Blu
Blu

Well traveled its world wide. It’s about politeness really. lol

shani
shani

Unless I know you, don’t ask to touch my hair. It’s an invasion of my personal space. Furthermore, I’m not a science project, nor an animal and I don’t know where your hands have been.

Britney

This is still a topic of discussion? So over it.

Samantha
Samantha

I believe it is quite ridiculous how most of you are arguing over something so simple, it’s a yes or no question, not a debate, just chill out. In my opinion if a white woman were to ask me to touch my hair, I would say yes. As long as she/or he doesn’t pull or tug on my hair then it would not mind me at all. I’m mixed, I have had a few white women ask to touch my hair, and I was totally fine with it.

sara
sara

Kelly
Kelly

I used to not care when people (I knew) touched my hair, in fact I thought it was a compliment but after being at a bar and having a grown black man reach out and touch my hair while I was standing trying to get the bar tenders attention. “Its so thin” he said. ” You mean FINE?” I replied and he said “Yeah, mine isn’t like that, mine is spiky and rough.” Needless to say the conversation ended there because I was annoyed. Not saying that a man can’t have his natural hair opinions but no man is touching… Read more »

iri9109
iri9109

I’m always touching my friends hair and they touch mine without asking because we’re close like that…and iactually dont mind people i dont know touching my hair, as long as they ask and their hands are visibly clean. we live in a world filled with germs and bacteria so I’m not really that worried about what’s on their hands as long as its not dirt/residue that i can see with the naked eye. My main thing is asking. A few weeks ago this middle aged black woman in my class sitting in front of me just randomly turned around and… Read more »

Ashley Lashea

I feel the fascination stems from women NOT wearing their natural hair. It’s a taboo situation that has evolved into the norm. What a beautiful thing. You now see more women embracing THEMSELVES. I recently big chopped, yet had locs when I was a child on up through high school and people would always touch my hair and ask questions. And recently I’ve gotten the same attention. What is a question, but a statement made to discover an answer unknown? All in all, I feel no offense should be taken. The same way a beautiful butterfly with an array of… Read more »

BIVY
BIVY
Reply to  Ashley Lashea

If you touch a butterfly’s wings the scales come off causing significant damage. Just sayin’. 🙂

anne
anne

I live in lusaka
The capital of zambia (africa)
Here people are always asking white people if they can touch their hair
Especially red heads
Its not racist
Its just natural curiosity
When I went to the uk and people asked to touch my hair, I didn’t find it weird coz I knew my hair was ‘different’ there
Its a fact

frau_wyler

I admit that I have done the same to other black girls as well as white girls out of curiosity & often awe‑I think we should focus more on the intentions people have, which I found are often good, instead of making everything racial. As long as it’s done respectfully- after asking then it’s ok.

fluffy in flight
fluffy in flight
Reply to  frau_wyler

That thing is just plain rude, disrespectful and nasty. Who goes up to a total stranger and just pushes their hands in their head. I’d really like someone to pull that stunt on me. No way no form no fashion. Just because some people want to be petted doesn’t give anyone the license to think that everyone does. When does it end? The same way they would do it to an adult, they would also do it to a child. Where are the boundaries people? the respect? it has nothing to do with race, at least not in my case… Read more »

Nyala
Nyala

What makes the this whole “touch your hair” so controversial anyways? It feels like this whole community could be torn apart over one simple statement. I would also like to apologize for my whole “be happy” statement. I didn’t mean for it to come off as being “happy that the whites have finally accepted us” treatment. Not at all. What I was trying to say was: You can’t control what others think of you. You can’t control how they feel. People are going to judge your hair — whether you allow them to touch it or not. On that note, I think… Read more »

Valentine
Valentine

As someone who’ve had several white female friends, I rarely had anyone of them ask me to touch my hair. I don’t know about others, since clearly that seems to be a common complaint, but I have never seen nor heard a white girl ask to touch anyone hair, unless there was a precedence.

Lola
Lola

I disliked people touching my hair when I was relaxed,mainly black women, I felt as though my personal space was invaded. Now that I am natural I actually don’t care as much even though I agree with the germ thing which is why I hated anyone touching my hair when I was relaxed. Idk it’s something about not being sure if someone touching your head or body in General has clean hands.

Umyea
Umyea

so I have hair just like the ginger in the back AND this question DOES get asked to me at least weekly — also deal w/ the pple-touching b/c of the unique hair texture and I could see this exchange happening where people DO tell the blonde that is her hair texture, she probably knows it just like everyone else has their own personal hair insecurities

Anna
Anna

The thing of it is, people touch white women’s hair all the time. When they curl it, people pat the curls. When it is straight and shiny, people run their fingers through it and ask a bunch of questions. If the woman has really curly hair then people say and do the same things that they do to black women who wear their hair natural. This issue is universal and is about people needing to learn to respect other people’s personal space.

malinda
malinda

i’m white..my hairs not PIN straight‑i straighten it. Its very long so people ask “ooo can i feel it?!” or i get the “is it real” question as well. Ethnic hair is just all around interesting, some is soft; hard; fluffy; or with a weave you can feel the tracks. if your hair is interesting and different no matter what your race someone is going to want to touch it.
(when i was very very young this black man lived next door and I named him fluffy because he had the softest afro so i always wanted to pat it)

Respect
Respect
Reply to  malinda

It is interesting, no one is denying that. What we are saying is ask beofore you touch it and don’t always assume that it’s ok to do so. Also naming smoneone off of the texture of there hair is insensitive and rude. Show some respect. The person is not an animal. Nor should they be “patted”. I guess the issue is that collectively as people of color we are more likely than not taught to keep our hands to ourselves and not invade others personal space because just because we can…so it is hard for some of us to comprhend… Read more »

AC
AC

I just don’t like making touching hair a race issue, just because some white people touched your hair doesn’t mean that they all are out to “put us on display”. This hair touching issue is more of a personal matter, a white person has NEVER touched me or my hair, but Black women and men… that is different, they almost always find their hands in my hair and it is very rude and offensive so I understand that part. However assuming the intentions of someone or even a race of people because they touched your hair is a little far… Read more »

CherishBomb

I’ve had people touch my hair my whole life, save when I was relaxed, and I didn’t mind until I went natural and started styling my own hair. Then, it became an issue of messing up my hair. Only once has a person touched my hair without permission since then (a man visiting a pub I worked at), but I still didn’t mind because I wore it loose that day, they struck up a brief conversation about my hair, and they barely touched it so much as lightly brushed their fingers against it. Anyone else has either asked or been… Read more »

Ayanna
Ayanna

I say, if you’re going to go overseas to a non English-speaking country, be ready for anything, and that includes people touching your hair. Whether you are light or dark skinned, if you are in Asia and your hair is not straight, it is likely that someone will comment. And sometimes they skip the comment and go right to the touch. This is mostly because they are not used to seeing hair any curlier than what they can get in a curly perm. I live in South Korea, and there are children and older women constantly trying to touch my… Read more »

momo
momo

AHAH! FUCKING FUNNY

Rose
Rose

When I was a little girl I didn’t like anyone touching my hair, and as an adult I still don’t like it. The only one I don’t mind touching my hair is my husband. He can run his fingers through it and pull it for all I care.

um no
um no

The thing is anne, we African Americans have been here for a logng time. This isn’t “new”. there were tons of naturals in the 70’s. They just never took the time to learn about our hair. Which is funny since we have to learn about theirs and see it everywhere as beautiful.

trackback

[…] What if White Women Got the “Can I Touch Your Hair?” Question All the Time In a multi-panel comic strip cartoonist Tall and Curly re-imagined a world where textured hair is […]

Really?
Really?

Come on, guys. How did you make this a race issue? Plenty of white people have been asked bu others to touch their hair, heck, I’ve asked before and done it.

I understand, naturals don’t like people touching their hair, but don’t make it an race issue, please.

Toya | The Limerick Lane

A stranger just touched my hair recently. Why do people think it’s ok to invade someone’s personal space by touching? I just wrote about an incident at the nail salon.

Romeia
Romeia

An older white woman touched my hair in a nail shop last week…I jerked my head away and explained why she was invading my space and the connotation I felt it had (white folks rubbing black people’s hair for luck) she apologized and said “it’s just so pretty” to which I asked her how would she feel if some stranger touched her hair…she understood what I felt then. She was nice just oblivious with “I can do whatever” syndrome. We talked about hair for an hour after that

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

I’m white, so in some cases the tables are turned. However, I have never had someone just touch my hair without asking!!! Ick!

Roxy
Roxy

Isn’t that a white woman touching another white woman’s hair in the cartoon?

Mimi
Mimi
Reply to  Roxy

yh, i dont think the title should have had white in it, the cartoonist wanted to depict a world where curly hair was the norm, not curly black hair.

Nanook
Nanook
Reply to  Roxy

She could be mixed. There are alot of fair skinned mixed people ijs

Glam
Glam

Why would you touch ANYONE’S hair that you didn’t know.…its just disrespectful not to mention so folks have no boundaries. …it goes back to the slave days.…ijs

Pearl
Pearl

Sigh here we go with the slavery talk. Everything ain’t about slavery ya know..sometimes it’s just sheer curiosity not that I’m saying it’s right to reach out and touch peoples hair…r u trying to tell me plantation owners sat around touching black slaves hair to see how it feels. Really? Black women ask try to touch my hair aswell.… Especially when i tell them its real. Not everything is about slavery.

Colby Jones
Colby Jones
Reply to  Pearl

Actually, contrary to your belief, it is very much about slavery and the continued subjugation of races other than white. It is white privilege that begets these sorts of behaviors. White privilege (the residue of slavery) is the obliviousness of those people touching black people’s hair. White privilege is the luxury to negate the experiences of people of color because it’s uncomfortable to admit that there’s a double standard. Really think about it. If a couple black people came up to you and started stroking your hair, perhaps making statements like, “Oh, you got the GOOD hair” (because your mixed… Read more »

noufar
noufar
Reply to  Colby Jones

The more we ostracize people who ask questions, the more white people will pretend they don’t notice race.

saffron33
saffron33

I don’t like anyone touching my hair without asking. If u want to touch my hair ask me first, its common courtesy. I don’t touch anyone’s hair unless I tight wit u like that, I don’t care how pretty ur hair is if I don’t know u I won’t touch.

Corry
Corry

I’m a white woman with curly hair, and I’ve personally never had anyone ask me, nor have I ever had the desire to touch another person’s hair, regardless of race. I think it’s crazy that there are people out there that think it’s ok to touch another person anywhere without asking. And when you’re a stranger, it’s rude to ask to touch a person’s hair in the first place. Learn some manners, human race!

Rebecca
Rebecca

I have long straight hair and I’ve had that happen to me.

crella
crella

Slavery and ‘white privilege’ don’t explain why Japanese people touch my hair,or my son’s hair,when he was little. It’s just curiosity .

Matine
Matine

I’m a white woman with straight brown hair. When I lived two years in Africa, people there would sometimes ask if they could touch my hair. This happened maybe a dozen times, not counting little kids brave enough to just reach up and touch it. Rather than “teeny weeny” spaghettis — haha, good one — someone actually said my hair looked like straw, like the straw they used for roofing. I didn’t mind this. I took it as natural curiosity.

Jade
Reply to  Matine

1st of all, Africa is a continent, did you live on the entire continent? or a country in Africa where there are little or no white people.

Matine
Matine
Reply to  Jade

Right, Jade. I lived for a year each in Tanzania and Zambia and spent time in Kenya. Your question about whether I was in a place with little to no white people got me thinking. When I first posted I was responding to the question what if white women got their hair touched all the time. I was basically saying that white women DO get their hair touched often, depending on if they live where they are a minority race. Especially where I was in locations that few whites had been to, people were curious about my hair. But i should… Read more »

Shea
Shea
Reply to  Matine

Youre wrong..not EVERYTHING in the world goes back to the slavery days. Yes there are white people that would touch natural hair because they probably feel “priveledged” to do it, but 9/10 of them dont. People can simply just be rude, curious, or simply not think about anything when they touch someone else’s hair. Even Asians or Black women themselves touch natural hair without permission but it doesnt have some “i can do this because of my race” meaning behind it and its the same with white people. Smh not every white person in the world thinks like whites did… Read more »

Shea
Shea
Reply to  Shea

Btw this is directed at the colby guy, my phone is acting stupid.

toys
toys

I agree with mimi, the cartoon isn’t depicting race, it’s a reversal of texture. I’ve seen white people with both straight and curly hair, and I’ve seen black people with both also. The fact is that people with curly hair, regardless of race, are more likely to have individuals touch their hair, especially in America and if it’s big curly hair!! I’m a black woman and I met a woman two weeks ago, whom also was black, and I absolutely loved her natural hair, so I asked to touch it lol.….. so in my opinion race isn’t always a factor… Read more »

jamie
jamie

It’s just down right rude to go round touching other peoples hair or anything else for that matter and asking permission doesn’t make it any better. This behaviour stems from a sense of right or superiority to invade personal space or touch someone else the same way this type of person would grab a waiter physically instead of attracting their attention politely. The hair toucher thinks they are justifying their behaviour by asking permission it’s they’re way of being polite sadly they don’t realise how rude and/or offensive they are or more likely just don’t care. Raising a hand in… Read more »

Shelly
Shelly

I think its all about perception (just like with everything else in life). There really is no right or wrong answer. My personal opinion, I don’t see it as inappropriate. If you go to a garden, and there is a beautiful flower that you are not familiar with, your first response would be the urge to touch it. People are naturally drawn to beauty, especially if it is unfamiliar. When white people ask me questions about my hair, that’s how I see it. These questions simply come from a lack of familiarity and are not meant to be hurtful or… Read more »

Lucy
Lucy

I am a white woman. I have never asked anyone, other my closest friends/family, if I could touch their hair. But I have had people touching my hair with and with out permission since I was 11. It always makes me wildly uncomfortable. Usually I say something like, “touching my hair is an honor and a privilege, that you do not have.” Touching some one’s hair who is uncomfortable with it, is rude.

spiraljess
spiraljess

Although I was a little put off by the title of ‘white women’ (something already discussed by other posters 🙂 ), I love the idea of this cartoon. As a white lady with crazy curls, I can assure you that the idea of wanting to touch curly hair knows no race. I had some guy in Cuba full on cup hair from the nape of my neck (no, NOT in a cool, sexy way). What the heck! I really enjoy this cartoonist’s work.

Chrissie
Chrissie

I don’t mind the curiosity nor asking to touch, even when people have just touched without asking I haven’t minded although I probably should. It’s more the comments afterward that could use a little more forethought.

Shaqueena
Shaqueena

I once had someone stick their hand in and run their fingers through my mini twists from root to end without even asking. I got so mad I didn’t know what to do. To me that shows you don’t respect me to put your hands in my hair without asking.

K
K

I seriously don’t get this. In high school there was barely a day that went by when someone didn’t ask to touch my hair or touch my skin. And sometimes they didn’t even ask! I’m white.

Andrea Brackney
Andrea Brackney

People don’t even ask they just do! It is like because it is long they think it is ok to just walk up and start touching and petting my hair. WTF

Bella
Bella

I wish I had black girl hair