I Don’t Have Self-Hate.” Sheryl Underwood Explains Her Controversial Remarks about Natural Hair

Avatar • Sep 3, 2013

article-0-0148528600001005-985_233x364

The internet has been buzzing since a clip of comedienne Sheryl Underwood saying that afro hair is “nappy”, “beady” and not worth saving went viral. After receiving a fair bit of backlash, she spoke with blogger Curly Nikki about why she made her statement, and whether she struggles with self hate.

I’m not what you think I am. I don’t have self-hate. I am not ashamed of my Blackness or who I am. In high school I had a giant afro. In college I was militant. I loved my afro puff. My dad instilled Black pride in me. I have no hair shame whatsoever.

She also talked about the struggles she’s faced in the entertainment industry as a plus-sized black woman:

You have no idea what I and other’s in the business have been through. I often feel uncomfortable. For years I’ve had to face… I’m not ‘Black’, I’m ‘too Black’, I’m not ‘fat’, I’m ‘too fat’, someone who looks like me, who works in the business I work in, it’s difficult. Everybody talks about the way I look and it’s our people that have been the hardest on me.

She also mentioned that she has worn her natural hair on the red carpet before.

The full interview is very interesting. Go to CurlyNikki.com to read the whole thing.

Aree
Aree

Hmmmn.…
So what you are saying Sheryl is that you will say anything for attention.
Congradulations! You got your attention. You had to look like a jackass to get it, but hey…

Lol!!! Misunderstood my butt.

Kayne
Kayne

Sooooo, she gets an opportunity to apologize and make things right, but instead of apologizing she tries to get folks to feel sorry for her and says WE’RE the real problem????? Girl, bye! **BOOOOP** your mic is now off! And don’t try to say you have “Black pride”! Those who love themselves don’t talk about themselves in disgust. The truth is you have very low self-esteem and need healing. Please have a seat and stop talking on behalf of Black people! We don’t need people like you belittling us in front of the world any more than they already do!

Kayne
Kayne
Reply to  Kayne

OK — I overlooked the link to where the full story was and I see she tried to apologize. But my question is — why did it take all this heated backlash for her to respond? Why did those words come out of her mouth anyway? She raised her hands and was literally itching to dog out Black hair during that segment. Why is that? Desperate to try and impress non-blacks? Felt like she may get some ‘good black girl’ points? Apologies are cool, but I sincerely hope and pray she gets to the root of her issues. And I… Read more »

BeautifulBlackWomen
BeautifulBlackWomen
Reply to  Kayne

Why in the H are you worried about “white folks?” If we as black people spent more time focusing on ourselves instead of worrying about what white folks think, and say about us we’d be a lot better off. I don’t give a S what white people think.

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Kayne

Even though what she said was upsetting, I’m not surprised because I think in the subconscious of many African Americans are thoughts like hers. Sad, but true. People act like it’s so easy to change what you’ve been taught and what society has been reinforcing your whole life. That’s why I’m proud of women who are wearing their natural hair- because it shows that we’re overcoming. But quite honestly, even though I’m not defending what she said in the least, I can understand why she said it.

BeautifulBlackWomen
BeautifulBlackWomen
Reply to  Kayne

Kayne: You sound very insecure

Kayne
Kayne

Hi Beautiful Black Woman — Here’s my response to your posts: I agree that we as Blacks need to focus on ourselves. But here’s why it matters to some extent the image we portray and what others think. It DIRECTLY affects the kinds of treatment we receive in customer service, face to face, etc, the jobs we receive, the roles we get in Hollywood and so on. If all white folks hear is us doing us clowning ourselves and walking around with self-esteem issues, then they will jump on the bandwagon and do the same. We’ve already seen it for decades… Read more »

Antrelise

Ok. She apologized. Good enough for me. But i’m sure some people are out for blood and will never accept it. You just can’t win. There will be those that say she’s only apologizing bc of the backlash. And if she would not have responded, then some would say she doesn’t care about how her words affect the community. She has apologized.…can we move on now?? But my guess would be no.

...
...
Reply to  Antrelise

You must be very easy to get over, since empty apologies seem to appease you.
Unlike you, most people can tell a sincere apology from a fake.

Antrelise
Reply to  ...

Really?? What she said didn’t stop me from feeding my children, going to work, or living my life in any way. So, yes, her apology is fine with me. All I can hope is that the next time I say something stupid , someone will show me the same compassion. Karma.

BeautifulBlackWomen
BeautifulBlackWomen
Reply to  ...

Naaaaaaah.…most MATURE people really don’t give a u know what. She apologized. Take it, or leave it. I’m with Antrelise.…people need to move on.

BeautifulBlackWomen
BeautifulBlackWomen
Reply to  Antrelise

Ant: Thanks for the common sense .…mature comments

Chel
Chel

Sooooo…she didnt really address the issue of her actual offesive comment she previously made. No apology or anything. It just turned in a Sheryl Pity Party. Granted I don’t need her verification to know that natural hair is fabulous and worth saving, it’s just that SHE only made HERSELF look bad.

Antrelise
Reply to  Chel

Wow. Did you read the curly Nikki article?? She clearing apologized. It didn’t come across as a pity party to me. I just felt that she was giving a more complete picture of herself. I felt she was saying that even though she said something she should not have said, please don’t let that statement color everything else she’a about. We are all human and complicated. All of our traits don’t always exist in harmony…we are all full of contradictions and hypocrisy. Aren’t you happy that your short comings aren’t up for discussion? Anyway, we should practice being more gentle… Read more »

kerisha
kerisha

she apologized sort of, but she never said I am sorry I hurt you/us it never botherd her that she followed up nappy and nasty with silky and worthy to be kept , we make mistakes but I for one can sniff out bull , and this interview stunk I read it watched the video again and tried to reconcile her answers to nikki with the video,they don’t match , i just have to tell my girls that what Sheryl said was ignorant and keep it moving till she gets it,because right now she does not, thats her right ‚it… Read more »

Lindsey Thompson
Lindsey Thompson

So basically its okay to say crap like that if you wore an afro in high school or on the red carper?? She is still a jerk as far as im concerned.

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks

WOW! when social media, blacktwitter, facebook and the natural community get together…WATCH OUT!

BeautifulBlackWomen
BeautifulBlackWomen

Even though a lot of bloggers have been saying Sheryl has “self hate”.…I never for one minute thought that. Most of the time we think we know people; but we really don’t. It’s show buzz folks. Entertainment. To those that were offended: Some people are easily offended, and in my opinion being easily offended is a weakness, and a sign of being insecure

taylor
taylor

calling black hair nappy, beady and unworthy of keeping isnt self hate when she has the SAME type of hair?! are you that dumb and delusional?

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella

Sheryl is that you???

lisarm
lisarm

There’s room enough for many opinions in our community. I’m living my life with natural hair, and a figure that may not be valued in Hollywood, but so what? Sheryl’s got her own issues to address which has nothing to do with me on the day-to-day. No apology necessary.

Valerie
Valerie

Its a catch 22. Shes damned either way smh…

D.K.

I read the interview. She’s still wrong, and what’s more, she’s been lying to herself. It’s time for retirement, methinks. Just like Kramer.

vertmoot.blogspot.com

taylor
taylor

puh-lease! that was not an apology. i dont understand why she would make a vile, mean comment like that in the first place. cooning for white and non black folks. damn shame.

RareTea
RareTea

I haven’t read the full interview yet, but this does seem like ‘kind of’ an honest mistake. It’s true; after years of being conditioned to reject everything about ourselves by whites (and others) in this country, a large part of what continues to hold a lot of us back is our own internalized negative perceptions of blackness. But that is improving! The very fact that she received backlash from this community in the first place is proof of that! We didn’t accept Don Imus’s crap comments about black hair and we won’t accept it from our own either! Now, if… Read more »

mlank64
mlank64
Reply to  RareTea

Totally agree, we’ve got alot house cleaning to do.

Katy
Katy

Faux apologize all you want. Her initial, spur of the moment comments speak to her lack of self-love. Like Sheryl, I spent years denying my self-esteem issues and in secret, wallowing in a stew of pity and idolization of others’ standards of beauty. Once she begins to acknowledge her issues ( and yes, I’m using words one usually reserves for addictions…there are parallels!) and begin to heal herself, then and only then, will she recognize the real error in her words.

Golden honey
Golden honey

Sheryl has some issues. Now that she’s getting flack for her comments she feels the need to defend herself …typical. she should have never made those comments at all because she KNEW very well that we’d be coming after her. Its bad enough the white people are making fun of us for how we act and how we wear our hair but its even WORSE coming from someone who is apart of our race, our culture…smdh It just doesn’t look good and if she even for a second thought that this would make her the ultimate funny lady…well..she was wrong! You… Read more »

Iva
Iva

I just have one snark-less question, if saving hair is “nasty”, does that mean all her wigs are synthetic? Because if even one was human hair, wouldn’t that be nasty by her own reasoning?

Crist
Crist
Reply to  Iva

…well, not if it’s long and silky ‑_-

Colalover

Ok I was pissed when this he/she looking person tried to insult “nappy” hair. I’m still a little disgusted.

However what did we expect from the token coon of the red neck Republican party? She is brain damaged.She should be ashamed of herself. However, I was watching a very funny stand up comic who was making fun of how incredibly white he is, he was funny as H, so I understand she said it for attention to get a laugh but to me she should know better.

...
...
Reply to  Colalover

Seems like there are a lot of token coons on this site as well. We should hold whites accountable for talking bad about blacks, but keep quiet when blacks speak bad about all blacks…No ma’am. Look at rap artist calling black women b***hes and whores. They get a free slide, but let someone white do it and we will raise hell. This woman basically insulted all black peoples hair and some of y’all talking about she “apologized” tell others to let it go. Well feel free to let people like that be mentors in your life continue to support people that find you… Read more »

jewel
jewel

Meh, I am neither here nor there about it. Many black people still dont truly value natural hair and maybe never will. The media doesnt either. I am neither hurt nor surprised by her comments. I personally know black people who share similar sentiments to hers. Im tired of us being militant natural hair nazis on here. Not every goddamn black woman is going to wholeheartedly love natural hair. Many have a love-hate relationship with their kinks. Ive been natural all my life but I dont expect every black person to understand the beauty of being au-naturel. I’d HOPE they… Read more »

Jamila
Jamila

And this woman continues to put her very large foot in her mouth. Ms. Underwood, Please try silence for once. Your epitaph of empty black pride badges are all for not. Your Afro? Your militance? Your Afro puff? Prove what? Let me help you, nothing. You see your father’s lessons were lost on you. Rattling off all of these “proof of blackness” badges are shallow and lost on those of us who find you ignorant and shallow. You made the horrible statements out of self provoked disgust with everything that perceived to have made it so very hard for you to be in… Read more »

K
K
Reply to  Jamila

Your epitaph of empty black pride badges are all for not”.

D.A.M.N.

This post is phenomenal! Every last comma is spot on, I’m saving it. Thank you, Sister!

grammar nazi
grammar nazi
Reply to  K

well it should be ‘all for naught’ not ‘all for not’ but yes, very well-said

Jamila
Jamila
Reply to  grammar nazi

Thanks for the correction grammar nazi. Numbers are my dominant talent. I admit my grammar has always made me anxious.

Thanks though, I appreciate it.

Zoopath
Zoopath

What she said was vile and this faux apology isn’t enough to redeem her. I take our image far too seriously to forgive that kind of betrayal. Anyone that says that any part of our children from the tops of their heads to the soles of their feet isn’t just as precious as the corresponding parts of a nonblack child is not to be trusted.

Mac
Mac
Reply to  Zoopath

I want to stitch your last sentence there on a big, attractive sampler and hang it in my house.

Jesse
Jesse

I am so glad Sheryl said the TRUTH that black people are the WORST when it comes to making jokes about another black person’s appearance. Where is gapch? I said this on the Blue Ivy/ Beyonce boat thread but.… People on this site are always claiming that they believe more women should wear their hair natural, or you all are anti- weave, braids, and extensions. However, those same people will attack a person whose natural hair doesn’t look good enough. If someone’s definition of “unkempt” is the natural state of many with tightly-coiled, kinky hair, then that is a problem… Read more »

Jesse
Jesse
Reply to  Jesse

Lol pretending to be me instead of adding something useful to the conversation. I see what you did there. Try again.

Em
Em
Reply to  Jesse

I was gonna say…WTH?? I was wondering how you went from being an articulate woman to saying you hate black women…that was just crazy!

Em
Em
Reply to  Em

Im so confused I don’t even know how I ended up on this site

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  Em

I know right I was thinking Jesse was Bipolar. The second Jesse you need to post as yourself and stop playing games. Jesse expressed herself and if you don’t like it then fine express yourself, but if your name isn’t Jesse as well then you need to post a different identity and stop hiding behind her. We all have separate views.

Reply to  Jesse

hypocrisy is real. and unfortunately during this whole fiasco many individuals were so mean with the comments about Sheryl physical attributes that they proved Sheryl right in saying “Everybody talks about the way I look and it’s our people that have been the hardest on me.” Its one thing to have said “Sheryl you were wrong for what you said” or “Sheryl that was not the right forum to say that” or “Sheryl why can’t you promote natural hair instead of making distasteful jokes about it to mixed company” or “Sheryl your own a national platform and may be the… Read more »

lol
lol
Reply to  gapch

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Reply to  lol

@lol. thats not funny nor written by the real gapch. as you all know i dont write in all caps.…

Reply to  gapch

I did not write this. There is someone copying people usernames and posting false statements. They need to be blocked. The comment above is not the real gapch.… smh.….

Reply to  gapch

referencing the comment posted @ SEPTEMBER 4, 2013 AT 11:39 AM
in all caps

Jesse
Jesse
Reply to  gapch

gapch is the troll. She’s always commenting behind everyone else…

Margaret
Margaret

I read her comments. I read her reaction to the comments about her comments. I still don’t get it.

Why even say anything about what Heidi Klum does with the hair of her children? I can’t believe that we are still talking about hair in 2013. I expected ‘old’ folks to make comments but US? And our children? We need to do better. We need to MYOB and let people be who they want to be.

If you want weave, perm, natural, bald, whatever — acceptance, people. Acceptance!

...
...
Reply to  Margaret

You do realize you are on a hair blog right? IJS

Buffy
Buffy

KMT! Own it. She said what she said. It was disgusting full stop. Yes people screw up, but don’t write, oh this is what I had to go through people don’t understand speech. Cause most go through it all the time. This isn’t about people over reacting to her comment and people should lighten up. (Twitter responses) Black jokes ha ha fine no problem we’ve heard them we’ve laughed. Comparing black ‘nasty’ hair to ‘beautiful straight’ hair, changes the mood completely. We all know this time next week it will be news on something else!

J
J

She didn’t explain why she made those comments in the 1st place? Or acknowledge that they could be damaging?

Em
Em

To be honest, I think certain beliefs have been so indoctrinated in us that we speak on things inappropriately without even realizing or giving it a second thought. I think this is the case with all people…we are human, after all. What I find to be sad is how people attacked her appearance and made things so hurtful when this could have been an opportunity to increase awareness. My hope is that this has done just that, not just with Sheryl, but with ANYONE who has made an off-color comment about black people and/or black hair.

Courtney
Courtney

First everybody was going in on her about the comment she made two days ago.Then yesterday you all was talking about Beyonce’s daughter saying her hair looks a mess and dry, tangle, and matted even though it’s a baby. Now today everybody goes back on what they say two days ago and try to defend natural hair because on what Sheryl said. ALSO thinking it was OKAY to bash her right back thinking you’re the better person here.

Okay now I get it.…I think **shrugs**

Colalover
Reply to  Courtney

You have a point. You hear women talking about Blue Ivy and the same ones get on here and blast this idiot. However the women who pick on a little girl are more pathetic. Yeah it’s hypocritical and sad, but she’s still an idiot.

Courtney
Courtney
Reply to  Colalover

Girl you are just a hater. Sister keeping it real.

Colalover
Colalover
Reply to  Colalover

I was an ugly baby so I can’t stand for other people to say things about children even when it has nothing to do with the children.

Courtney
Courtney
Reply to  Colalover

Girl Im bipolar too! Whats up!

Naj
Naj

Hmmm..This reminded me of the “I’m not racist; my best friend is black!” argument lol but in all seriousness, whether she has self-hate or not it is damaging to others with “afro” hair when derogatory comments, like the one(s) she said, are made. And, I also have to agree with her that our people can be the worst critics of ourselves and our natural features. When I went natural in high school, it was only “my people” (and the few other girls who wanted to be Black) who ever tried to degrade me in front of everyone, whereas everyone else… Read more »

Lex
Lex

If she says she doesn’t have self hate than that’s her piece & those not close to her should just leave it at that. If anything she hurt herself more on that show than she ever did to any of us. The aggression towards Beyonce and her motherly choices seemed to definitely cause some concern among us. I remember going to this site a few years ago feeling like natural community was a great support system. Now I feel as though it’s just about who defends natural hair and who doesn’t. We should already be aware that those in the… Read more »

Just a side note
Just a side note

Someone is obviously trolling on this page.

Their tactic is to make immature and unintelligent comments and pose as a person who made a legitimate comment.

gapch

happened to me above. the person has gone throughout this thread doing it to many of us… smh

Reply to  gapch

smh…im desperate for attention. Sheryl Underwood help me please!

Reply to  gapch

referencing comment posted at SEPTEMBER 4, 2013 AT 12:05 PM
not the real gapch. wish this person would just stop impersonating others.

Reply to  gapch

I need my medication before I have a stroke… smh

sandy
sandy

This website needs to also acknowledge that it contributed to the backlash, by misrepresenting Underwood’s statement and presenting it out of context. When the error was caught, the post should have been removed immediately. While I don’t condone what Underwood said, I understand that she is a comedian, whose comedy is based on cultural stereotypes of African Americans. Finally, some of the very people who were “outraged” by her comments are the same ones calling for Beyoncé to comb her child’s hair. Hypocrites.

Courtney
Courtney
Reply to  sandy

Exactly. There are so many comedians who has said the most stereotype comments. Even worst than what she said. Then yesterday people were bashing Beyoncé’s daughter hair being a mess and needs a comb and saying it’s dry. Then turns around again bashing Sheryl again on the comment she said about afro hair. I don’t get what is everybody’s problem on this site

Amma Mama

Her afro puff is so cute <3
*Runs to read interview*

Amma Mama
Reply to  Amma Mama

Curly Nikki asked some great questions and she kept it classy. It was great interview. Everyone makes mistakes and we all say things that we regret.

Kasey

She’s a black comedian, she says things that are provocative and irreverent the natural hair community is a can be very closed nit, and sometimes defensive. Sometimes we need to take things for what they are a joke, was it a good joke probably not but still a joke. Also many people didn’t heart this comment but saw it in writing as described by someone else so we also need to stop believing everything we read.

Andrea

I think what the problem was and still IS is that some things (maybe slightly funny things) should not be said in mixed company. Especially when there are so many of our young girls who hate or are being hated on or even have issues themselves, with who they are and their hair texture. We all must admit that we are just getting to a point were black women are learning to not say “good hair/bad hair.” Sheryl may not have a problem with her own blackness or her own hair but what is she saying to ALL women tuning… Read more »

Black & Proud
Black & Proud

Sure sounds like self-hate to me. She spoke of everything except why her opinion of Afro hair is so negative…unless it is because of the way she had been treated…which brings it back to self-hate. Your black is beautiful, my sister. Hope you realize that one day.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

I honestly think she was genuinely making a joke (albeit a BAD one), which she thought would just fly over. A lot of comedy involves self deprecating humour — I know you’ve seen countless black (& otherwise) comedians make jokes on ‘stereoypes’ and you probably laughed your arse off too. The problem here (IMO) is that this area is far too sensitive! It has so much history and heartache behind it, that for a black comedian to make joke of it on prime time TV is inappropriate and plain stupid. Funnily enough, people were up in arms about it, but on… Read more »

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  AnonSince87

Hey, I DIDN’T say that! Someone user my name! SAD.

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  AnonSince87

Hey, I DIDN’T say that! Someone user my name! SAD. I’m English, I don’t even say y’all! Kmt

Andrea
Reply to  AnonSince87

I am a cosmetologist and not only do I put in weaves (usually for protective styles) that “mimic” natural hair, but I also wear them myself. Have you been to a hair supply store recently? More and more weave hair is textured. Some women who decide to go natural and want to have more looks than just the TWA (teeny weeny afro) get yaki weaves, jheri curl weaves, artificial dreads, braids, twists and simple big kinky hair! And it is all big and beautiful! I think we were limited in the past because we bought what was available. However, when… Read more »

Froregade
Froregade

Sorry but whenever I hear defenses like this, I immediately think of people who make casually or off the cuff racist remarks then turn to say that they’re not racist because they have X‑number of friends in [insert ethnic group here]. Sorry but just because you may be a part of a specific group or are surrounded by those within the group you’re criticizing does not mean that you do not show problematic behavior that should be corrected.

G
G

WHO CARES!!! I heard Sheryl’s apology on Steve Harvey this morning, I accepted it & is moving on! The black community has bigger problems then someone’s comments about black hair!! We need to be concerned about high unemployed, high rate of unmarried black women, paying for our children to attend and graduate from college, the high foreclosure rate, the under performing schools!

G
G
Reply to  G

I CARE!! I JUST WANTED YELL!!! GRR!!!!!

Tabatha
Tabatha

I agree with her 100%. Its her job to make fun of things and she chose to pick on black hair. I don’t know why people would assume that she has self hate. I tell my friend’s how I have Indigenous Ginchy- Guma Hair. Its not self hate, my mom calls it that cause its African American and native American mix, so its thick and course and will put up a fight! Its funny to me, and it doesn’t hurt my feelings at all. We are the hardest on each other. I don’t know why? I speak proper English so… Read more »

taylor
taylor
Reply to  Tabatha

you wanna cookie?

Eve-audrey
Eve-audrey
Reply to  Tabatha

In my humble opinion linking being black and speaking proper english and being an uncle tom is complete bullsh!t. i’m college educated speak several languages in a proper way and i believe everyone sees how black i am as much as i do. This just gets on my nerves you should Check who you’re hanging out with.

kerisha
kerisha

hey everyone she apologized on steve Harvey this morning go to curly nikki.com to hear her statement ‚it sounded sincere my people I think we can start healing the joke was bad she gets it ‚I applaude her for coming on and really giving a no excuse apology,people make mistakes another chance is in order,because how many have we received,when you admit your wrong I am prepared to receive it,thank you Sheryl the most high bless you and keep my sister.for those of you who listened what are your thoughts she sounded sincere ‚what say you my sisters?

Fairy
Fairy

If what she said about Nappy hair being beady and nasty was made in error. Then she need not make that error again. No apology would have been necessary if she had kept her mouth shut in the first place. She can make all the excuses she wants when it comes down to it what came out of her mouth was self hatred bile. Then to follow it up by saying her co-host childs hair is silky and straight said enough!!!! Don’t apologize to us, look in the mirror and apologize to your self. That’s if she likes what she… Read more »

Andrea
Reply to  Fairy

Amen, Fairy! I wish I could click thumbs up on your comment more than once!

tootoo
tootoo

she talking about it her own that’s been the worst…??? hell, how she think WE feel about her stupid comment? she is making it worst, not helping!

SantanaNyla

The instinct to save one’s child hair has more to do with self love than self hate.Whites sometimes compare their hair to straw, and blacks sometimes compare their hair to brillo. It all boils down to what’s healthy hair-if it’s over processed, no matter the race-it’s damaged.If it lacks moisture then that could be due diet or weather or both.
As for love and hate, that depends on perspectives.

Eloisa
Eloisa

Americans and their selfhate. Smdh. It’s truely sad to see how much caucasians have brainwashed you. You ppl are still enslaved in your minds. You will make complete fools of yourself just to appease caucasians. You will coon on national tv just to appease caucasians. Smdh. And to think Afrikans were once Kings and Queens. Back when caucasians were still living in their caves. And now you worship and defend these same cave ppl. Not only that but you prefer their cave features before your nubian ones. And you call yourselves slurs, walk around with asian hair hats and call… Read more »

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  Eloisa

Ironically, you fail to realise you’re doing just like the Caucasian man wants. Do you not see how hypocritical you sound? Self hate is world wide — I mean you’re a good example; look at you hating on black (american) people too. Oh dear. Africans are not wholly ‘representative’ of our race either. My Black British-Caribbean experience, culture and traditions are very different from yours, honey. In a way, African-Americans ARE partly representative of YOU. They represent the part of our race who settled in America. Black Britons represent the part of race who settled in Britain. We are “different” but… Read more »

Geneva Poole
Geneva Poole
Reply to  AnonSince87

Remember most of our four-fathers came to the Americas against their will under European control.

Shaunessy
Shaunessy
Reply to  AnonSince87

Just want to say that the African American Race did not settle in America. The African American race
was enslaved within then the United States of America there is a vast and enlargly accurate difference!

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  Shaunessy

Apologies; my comment was in relation to where we are now. I understand we didn’t choose to settle into some parts of this world. But we fought and fought; demanding a place in said societies, forging our own cultures and traditions.

Stefani
Stefani
Reply to  Eloisa

Yet Nigerians (amongst other West African nations) are the biggest consumers of skin bleaching creams. Beauty, worldwide, so sadly,is based on a very Eurocentric perspective. In South Korea,you have Koreans getting plastic surgery to make their eyes bigger and make their calves smaller. In the Middle East, you have women that refuse to let the sun touch them in fear they will become dark and attemting to dye their jet black hair blonde. Mexico’s most handsome singer, Luis Miguel, is not even Mexican (Italian-Spanish) and definitely doesn’t look like most Mexican men yet he is the embodiment of Mexican male… Read more »

Geneva Poole
Geneva Poole
Reply to  Stefani

GOD blessed his creations with the tools and features they needed to live in the land of their origi

Jesse
Jesse
Reply to  Eloisa

Eloisa, what you said is so hateful, and you know it. You are trying to claim African pride, but do you realize there is something called a diaspora? Africans spread out all over the world, my friend. Black Americans have a different culture, language, and history than black Nigerians, black Jamaicans, black Britons, or black Kenyans, but we are all black. You must acknowledge that your culture today is no more pure “black” than any black Americans. All black cultures of the Diaspora today descended from a common culture that originated in Africa. You are trying to profess black pride,… Read more »

anonymous
anonymous
Reply to  Eloisa

AMERICANS OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES WITH SELF HATE ISSUES.

WE STARTED THIS NSTURAL HAIR MOVEMENT.

FrostiiLove
FrostiiLove
Reply to  Eloisa

We all belong to one race and that is the human race. The system has us hating ourselves. Trying to categorize and subcatergorize because they know our true greatness would be revealed if we unified.

Protection. Guidance. Love.

Mowriyah
Mowriyah
Reply to  Eloisa

Lets make this clear. Seriously do you think slaves were sitting around in chains and said, “Hey guys lets take a vote! Whoever wants to start calling themselves Africans say I!” No that name was given to us by our slave masters. We are the Israelites the real Jews Gods chosen people. God allowed for us to be oppressed because we decided to break his laws. We were being wicked and had to flee into west Africa during he Roman persecution. Matter of fact your African ancestors used to call us the people of the book because they knew we… Read more »

monaytt
monaytt

Well, I hope people put this much energy as they did on this story for when a black MALE comedian, singer, actor, or athlete speaks against natural hair.

sandy
sandy
Reply to  monaytt

Excellent point. It’s funny how we are always majoring in the minor, as we say in my country.

Andrea
Reply to  monaytt

When men stop f‑ing anything that walks (regardless of what his/her/it — LOL, hair looks like), we’ll put some energy into what THEY have to say, until then, who cares!

monaytt
monaytt
Reply to  Andrea

If men’s statements don’t matter so you, forget instilling in our sons pride for Afro texture hair and helping our brothers and our relatives by our example. Forget fathers trying to tell their daughters that they are beautiful with what they are born with. There are women in relationships with black men that appreciate when their man complements them. Forget it since they are f‑ing anything as you say. You can’t put Sheryl and under the spotlight and leave the men out. It’s a double standard.

Destiny
Destiny

Shhh..HUSH..@“Sheryl Underwood Explains Her Controversial Remarks about Natural Hair” I don’t save my childrens hair and think the practice by anyone is some what strange. However your comments sparked something..I love my natural hair and me..you on the other hand have a problem, showed threw in your none comic remakes. Move on and think before you speak.

Soyala
Soyala

This woman is playing the victim to cover up her ignorance. It is clear that the media/society has brainwashed her into not liking her natural hair…You can see that she said “used to wear my afro…”. She still has not apologize. She don’t care about what she said. She meant every word.

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Soyala

I totally agree, and this whole “I used to be the militant sister that wore an afro is straight up BS”!!!! She’s just trying to justify her mess without actually apologizing. She claims that other blacks in Hollyweird are hard on her, hmmm, I wonder why????

Andrea

And to the people who think this whole thing was “no big deal, just a joke.” Keep in mind that there have been people with afro textured hair that have been fired for their hair-do’s, have been told to comb their hair. A school district in Ohio recently had a policy (which they had to do away with due to public outcry — black and white) that no afro-puffs, twists or colorful hair ornaments could be worn. People have been asked if someone can touch their hair (some people just do it without asking) — then when your wear a… Read more »

stephanieb
stephanieb
Reply to  Andrea

AMEN Andrea, two thumbs way up for your post especially @ “When it is NOT an issue, when black people can wear their hair the way it naturally grows out of their heads without backlash, loss of employment, memos about grooming themselves or threat of repercussion and especially when she, herself, takes off that f‑ing wig, then she can make a damn joke about it!”

Trini
Trini

I suppose this lady is very much steeped in stereotypes. Afro and militant were the images that the New Yorker Magazine depicted of Michelle Obama in 2008.

Monika
Monika

Calling all hair hat wearers. Calling all hair hat wearers. Please remove your sister-friend from the building. Thank you.

SincerelyTatum
Reply to  Monika

LOL you know you are wrong for this.

tanya.ball@yahoo.co.uk

Are we there yet do you think?

RMC1262
RMC1262

Sheryl is a joke in and of herself. If she really has issue with her weight, then WHY is she always eating on The Talk? Loose weight Sheryl, that is something you can improve if it’s an issue in the business you work in. Take off the wig, it’s not even cute on you, it looks a hot damn mess, too long, too straight, and too glossy. I love it when you wear it with the grey showing. That looks more natural. Nothing is wrong with straightening our hair, kinky hair is hard to manage. If everyone is honest, it’s… Read more »

jca
jca
Reply to  RMC1262

Woolly, kinky, curly hair is not hard to manage. You just have to become familiar with the hair God created you with. The natural hair that grows out of your head. There are so many styles and techniques you can find online that will introduce you to your God-given hair, and show you how to manage it with ease.

SincerelyTatum

Sheryl can still have several seats in my opinion. I hear what she is saying but 1+1 does not equal 5. She claims she loves her blackness yet she proudly & loudly talked down on afro textured hair while praising straight silky hair. I don’t appreciate her trying to get sympathy from us with this “Woe as me I’m a black woman in entertainment” bit. We know it’s hard for black women in entertainment but that has nothing to do with her disparaging remarks concerning afro textured hair. She meant it when she said it and now she has to deal… Read more »

CarFunkle
CarFunkle

Oh yeah. Much self hate behind that dumb ass “joke.” Why would you want anything except your own natural hair? There must be something about it that in your mind isn’t good enough.

cassie
cassie

Sorry, I can’t back Ms.Underwood or ANY black female who covers/hides her natural hair with fake hair and sling her head around like she anything but black! Like the black culture is something to be ashamed of. There are laws that protect your rights to wear your hair as you please as long as it’s combed,neat. I wouldn’t eat any where that had women with fake hair,that shit comes out worse than real hair. But both requires a hair net, fake hair still makes it way out of that as well. I will be among others laughing at your asses when… Read more »

madametj
madametj

Yeah, whatever. She meant what she said. I watched the footage. She said “Why would you save Afro hair, that’s nasty!” And some white woman was like “I save my kids’ hair too.” and Miss Underwood here said “and I bet it’s silky and straight.” That statement doesn’t match up with her apology. NEXT!

keisha b
keisha b

**sigh** I mean…she is a comedian.. Why are all these naturals/black sistahs sooo dang sensitive? Its getting ridiculous! That’s why we need to address. Are you really happy with being natural or yourself? Sounds like you’re trying to prove something… Coming from a black woman whose been natural so I have the right to speak on it

Shahidah
Reply to  keisha b

***sigh*** that you can’t see the ignorance. It is ignorant to imply it is okay to save one childs hair because it is LONG AND SILKY but not afro hair because its nappy…this is not about natural vs anyone who isn’t because all of our babies are wearing their natural hair and she just called it nasty. Maybe your babys head is nasty but mine aint

Orihime11
Orihime11

Before I even read anything in detail I saw 116 comments on the main screen and was like.…oh lawd, what done happened now?

Geneva Poole
Geneva Poole

GOD blessed his creations with the tools & features they needed to live in the land of their origin.

CiCi
CiCi

Well, people are entitled to their opinions, and no matter what not everyone is going to agree on anything because not everyone sees the world the same way. It saddens me to think that our people are so hard on each other, and I do believe her when she says it blacks that has been the hardest on her and her looks. But she has driven that point home with her own remarks toward natural hair, seeing as how she is African American, and her remarks are toward African American hair. SMH, we have come so far, and yet evolution… Read more »

Neece
Neece

I’m trying to understand what her issues with her weight and her not having self-hate have to do with anything. It SOUNDS like an excuse to me. She attacked a mother and her child, there is no going back, just so she could make a joke that wasn’t even funny in the first place.

Special
Special

This woman is straight up ignorant. She’s loud and disrespectful. Most children have soft hair and is far from nasty. She hates herself and probably was teased growing up. now she’s old and fat and has to coon for attention. no telling what else she has done or said behind the scenes to make a filthy sell out dollar.

Eyebrow Lift

I have been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters
and bloggers made good content as you did,
the web will be much more useful than ever before.

Nanette
Nanette

She knows the struggles that black people have gone through. It was bad enough when that racist Don Imus, called the Rutgers University women’s basketball team “Nappy Headed Hoes & Jjiggaboos. Here she sit on nationwide television, as a black woman who has a wig on daily, tell me she is ashamed of her black cultured. Granted, we don’t know what you have gone through in your business. The things you have gone through should have made you stronger, and here you sit talking about nappy hair. All you doing is bringing attention to yourself, and you stated that it… Read more »

youngin
youngin

FOH with yo ugly ass.

Lucky
Lucky

I am truly glad she’s receiving the backlash she deserves. Even after her apology, she is still catching heat!

DniaMo
DniaMo
Reply to  Lucky

I find it rather disgusting that you all are proclaiming Sheryl as being self hating, but the only ones spewing hate are you all! Since when the hell do black women decide to gang up on another black woman? You all act as though such bad things never came out of your mouths! I know for a fact none of you are saints. Whoever is without sin cast the first stone. People of ALL races including other blacks have been making comments about black folks hair for years. Why does this even surprise you? I understand that sheryl’s comments were unacceptable… Read more »

lmichelle
lmichelle
Reply to  DniaMo

I have no sympathy for her. If we are going to ever be respected, we need to show the world that we are a proud people. And we can start by cutting down dangerous viruses like Sheryl and Tommy Sotomayor.

Lucky
Lucky
Reply to  DniaMo

Personally, I’m glad the Sisters are taking a stand against Sheryl’s buffoonery. If you don’t like Black people getting checked for making comments about the hair we were born with, perhaps YOU need to get over it, because your stance against speaking out isn’t going to stop Black women from doing so!

Dniamo
Dniamo

What you are doing is cyber bullying.
Half of you have kids and yet you are on the internet acting like nasty children. Go take care of your damn kids and stop getting on the internet talking shit about people. lol black people want to be and noticed but the only the rest of the worlds sees is ignorant immature supposed to be grown ass black women. This is disgusting and makes no sense whatsoever that people have to act like this. Sheryl apologized and now you all want to keep walking around with a dickup your asses. Grow up

DniaMo
DniaMo
Reply to  Dniamo

Hey thanks for using my user name. Smart person you are.…not!

Amber
Amber

Sheryl needs to sit down and stop apologizing. If black women can’t take a joke, maybe they should all jump off a damn bridge.

CCC
CCC

Sorry Sheryl, but you just can’t clean that mess up. Her true feelings came out which is sad.

DniaMo
DniaMo

Anywho back to what I was saying. It doesn’t matter if a black person/ white person said these same exact comments the point is that it shouldn’t have been said. Who are we as black women to act so foolish about what someone says? Who cares? This entire experience gives the white people more reasons to look down on blacks. We really need to a better job at projecting our feelings rather attacking. As long as the human race is still walking this earth black’s will always be talked about rather we’re doing good or bad. Its our job to… Read more »

DINO
DINO

FK SHERYL UNDERWOOD. This big horse-toofed B*TCH meant every word she said when she made that off the a$$ comment about black hair. These celebs get on my d@mn nerves making fk’d up statements & when they catch hell about it, they wanna try & come back to save their ugly faces — how DARE she & how CAN she make SUCH a negative statement like that about the hair of BLACK WOMEN??? As if we dont have ENOUGH SH !T to contend with EVERY DAY, here her BLACK UGLY MEGA-TOOF A$$ comes making RACIST STATEMENTS about the hair of… Read more »

DINO
DINO
Reply to  DINO

and P.S., THAT APOLOGY IS NOT SINCERE, IT’S AN ATTEMPT TO SAVE HER FACE!!!

DINO
DINO
Reply to  DINO

“OK, I’m sorry but why would you save Afro hair? You can’t weave in Afro hair, you’ll never see us at the hair place going ‘look here, what I need is this nappy, curly, beady hair.’ That just seems nasty.” Sheryl Underwood said: “no one wants Afro hair .… who ever heard of a woman in a hair salon requesting ‘curly, nappy, beady hair that just seems nasty’.” AND THEN .….. when “The Talk’s” co-host Sarah Gilbert (non-black woman), who has curly hair, joined the discussion to add that she, too, saves her children’s cut hair, Sheryl Underwood said that THEIRS was… Read more »

Maya Lopez
Maya Lopez
Reply to  DINO

@DINO. You took the words right out of my mouth. She’s a black woman in the spotlight and that’s what comes out of her mouth? It’s part of a slave mentality that I hope will die out over time. That really hurt my heart. How can other people believe in our beauty if we don’t believe in it ourselves? Horrible.

Si
Si

idk why everyone is acting like this belief isn’t shared among many African Americans. Not saying it is right, but it’s true; lots of black people think our hair, skin, and features are despicable. I guess there are those (like me) who are beginning to be fed up with the ignorance of the black community. I, like many black girls, wanted to be white when I was smaller (My little sister wants to be blonde). I was taught to believe I had bad hair from a very young age. Perm by age 5. I am not angry that she said… Read more »

lmichelle
lmichelle
Reply to  Si

I must have grown up in an alternate universe, because my cousins and I loved getting our chocolate baby dolls at Christmas. And I used to hate when my long hair wouldn’t stand up in Afro puffs like the soul train dancers.

kate conder
kate conder

black America has no self worth they should visit the Caribbean once a year to see how black people have pride in their blackness and how there is no discrimination because you are Afro heritage

Trish
Trish
Reply to  kate conder

I’m from the Caribbean. You’re full of sh1t. No “discrimination”…lol. Have you ever been to the Caribbean? Idiot.

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  kate conder

You a damn lie and this is coming from a Trini!! Have you even been to the Carribean? Hell have you been to Brooklyn? Last I checked the Carribean was many countries but according to you its a whole? This is a black issue be it african american or west indian…stop with the lies

Song Cofield

Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he just bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

Dev D

We’ve been influenced(brainwashed) to not find our features desirable. Whites have denegrated us since our arrival. We saw white wavy hair, pointed noses, light skin; heard their comments and internalized them and believed it. We make those negative comments about ourselves-fix your kitchen, ugly, yo black a–, etc. Some of us though aren’t ashamed. I like it. I like my blackness. I like all cultures. We’ve been damaged though.

rj
rj

For all you women that are talking bad about her I bet you all have some type of weave in your hair or perm,why don’t you leave your hair nappy and be proud of your natural hair. She said what you all think.

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  rj

Are you stupid? This is a natural hair site the last time I checked

li davis
li davis

I thought this woman was a tranvestite and not a good looking one. Obviously she hates her hair as she is always wearing fake hair. She is a very insecure and ignorant person, which is why she is on television. Her’s is the loudest mouth on the Talk.

Tone_In
Tone_In

Just saying yall pay this chick to talk shit and gossip on a shitty show how intelligent do u expect these talk show hosts to be.

ET
ET

Shame on you Cheryl for touching on such a delicate topic in such a negative manner. This is one you will have to take standing up! I love my natural hair, it’s my choice.

Mattie Thomas
Mattie Thomas

Sheryl is just saying what she knows, if she takes her wig or weave off and do not press or perm her hair, what other might say about her or her looks. It is an honest fear. It is call a fear of rejection. Black people have been rejected for so long they sometime lose themselves and try to look as close like someone who is not so rejected, they think it makes life a little easy and help them be more successful. This is call instructional culture brainwash. The Chinese lady on the talk show had her eyes fixed… Read more »

trackback

[…] community came for Sheryl’s behind, but the incident became more complex when the funny woman revealed her own insecurities about her appearance. It seems that, as a community, we are still parsing through issues of self-hate. Click here for […]

trackback

Alliyah Garcia

Wow! I’m so shocked to see all the flak she’s getting for her statement. The problem with what she said is that people can give it a different meaning, I think she didn’t mean anything with what she said but the advent of the social media sites has made us quick in judging whatever we see online and that’s a growing problem nowadays.

Jasmin Roberts
Jasmin Roberts

People say there’s freedom of speech in America, but you can’t say aaaaanything there without being jumped on! Who cares if she hates the fro?! It’s not an attach on blackness. It’s her opinion about a certain hairstyle. Period.