Bianca // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 4, 2013

DSC_2915-002 copy

Introduce yourself!
B:
Hey hey, I’m Bianca Alexandra born and raised in Birmingham, England. Spent my high school and college years in Puerto Rico and I currently reside in LA.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
B:
I don’t think I set out to become natural. My hair was so damaged from constant hair dying and heat that I had no other option but to lay off of the heat tools and chemicals. My hair had gotten really thin and fragile and was breaking constantly so I experimented with different haircuts. Once I noticed how healthy and thick the new hair growth looked, I decided to cut off the remaining damaged ends. I’ve been natural since March 2012.

How would you describe your texture?
B:
I don’t understand the whole hair typing system so I can’t say what category my hair falls under. My strands are very fine although once my hair is completely dry I have lots of volume. My curl pattern is small, defined coils, and I have a bit of a mix when it comes to the texture because one side has looser curls while the other is a tighter curl pattern.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
B:
I am pretty low maintenance when it comes to styling my hair. I stick to wash and go’s most, which I will do every 3 to 4 days using the products mentioned below in my wash routine. However if I get lazy and have no time to wash, I will wet the front of my hair, apply some coconut oil, and make a quick braided crown or top bun.

DSC_2889-001

What does wash day look like for you?
B:
Wash day, where do I start?! Well let’s see, I co-wash with As I Am Coconut Cowash then I divide my hair into at least six sections (yes it’s that thick!) I then use TRESemme Naturals Conditioner to finger detangle my hair. I will go by each section working my fingers through the ends of my hair towards the scalp. Once all my hair is detangled I rinse out the TRESemme Naturals and apply some Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner (I use this as a leave in) and let my hair air dry.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
B:
Top knot bun, or a braided crown.

How do you combat shrinkage?
B:
I embrace it.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
B:
My ends! I get fairy knots like crazy. They are also very fragile so I have to baby them, making sure I detangle them properly and keep them moisturized.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
B:
Coconut oil and a good moisturizing conditioner.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
B:
Shampoos with sulfate and gels. They make my hair dry and frizzed up like a cotton ball.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
B:
And to see my first YouTube video on my wash & go routine — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8‑LI48SQn2M&feature=youtu.be

About Meosha

Maria
Maria

OMG this comment is going to be so not about natural hair but ‑her nose is so cute! Reminds me of my baby 🙂

Reply to  Maria

hahahah thankyou!

Cia
Cia

Love her hair! And such a beautiful lady!!

Zanjabil
Zanjabil

Gorgeous lady, beautiful curls!

Bianca Alexandra

thank you girls! you can also check out my Instagram http://instagram.com/bummblebee7/ 🙂

zyaran
zyaran

That is alot of gorgeous hair that you have. In picture #2, those curls are looking mighty tempting to has me wanting to pull one of the curls and watch it pop back in place. Yeah I know so wrong of me, but if I was standing behind that gorgeous head of hair of yours I would be tempted, but I wouldn’t because I’m not trying to get slapped or given the side eye look lol.… But all of the hair styles look good in all the pictures.

Reply to  zyaran

hahahah thank you for the gorgeous hair comment, please don’t pull it though hahaha

Antoinette Stewart

She reminds me a lot of MopTop Maven — but she is beautiful in her own way! Love the defined curls and coils, which my babies were frizz free like that!

Anonty
Anonty

Birmingham- Puerto Rico — LA — what differences?! So do you have the Brummie accent and why did you leave the UK if you don’t mind me asking? It’s an interesting journey.

Reply to  Anonty

yes I still have my accent 🙂 got family all over so thats part of it.

Courtney

Beautiful young lady and her hair is amazing! I love that she has bangs too.

Reply to  Courtney

thank you! glad you like the bangs, I cut my hair myself 😀

Courtney

You do a fabulous job! When I read you aren’t in DC, I was bummed bc I wanted to see where you got your hair done, LOL 🙂

Reply to  Courtney

aww sorry hahaha I have always been very picky on who I let do my hair so I have been doing it myself for years, even before I became natural. I would blow-dry, cut, & dye it myself 😀

Livy
Livy

Wow she’s a beauty! Healthy hair too you go girl 🙂 love your curls 🙂

Reply to  Livy

mlank64
mlank64

Beautiful coils and curls.

coocurlygal
coocurlygal

Gorgeous lady! Gorgeous Coils!

taj carter
taj carter

Your hair is beautiful! It must have been a blast living in Puerto Rico!

Reply to  taj carter

ahh Puerto Rico is sooo beautiful some of the best beach’s in the world ! 😀

Leah
Leah

Curl twin! <3 You hair is gorgeous!

Reply to  Leah

thanks so much Leah 🙂

Marielys

Bianca! We neeeeeeeed to talk! We need to talk England and cowashing.

Reply to  Marielys

yes we do!!!! whenever u want 😀

AnonyChick
AnonyChick

So beautiful. Love the dress in pic #2.

Reply to  AnonyChick

thankyou so much!

yoco
yoco

Gorgeous hair!!

Niccy
Niccy

Yay! A fellow Brummie! You have lovely hair and attitude.

Reply to  Niccy

woohooo!!! <3 cheers!

ema
ema

Gorgeous young woman and gorgeous hair 🙂

Kgc
Kgc

I hope my hair looks like this when it gets long!

D.K.

Nice curls! I love the first pic in the fourth row and especially the braids.

vertmoot.blogspot.com

Jasmine
Jasmine

I swear you’re my twin. Maybe not length but everything down to curl pattern, thickness, and fine hair strands. The only main difference I see is your curls are more defined and less frizzy than mine. What do you do or does it just naturally do that? The only way I can get my hair to look similar to yours is when I do small ( not mini) twists. That them apart curl by and and spritz my hair.

leah
leah
Reply to  Jasmine

I have the same hair as hers. I just started using aloe vera juice in my hair and it’s really cut down on the frizz and made my hair smoother and softer. After washing I first smooth leave in conditioner, then aloe vera juice and then almond oil to seal; my hair has been bangin’ lately (: Give it a try.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  leah

How long have you been using aloe vera juice? Is the juice watery or does it feel the same as if you’re squeezing for the plant, kinda thick? And me, I’m going to try this lol

leah
leah
Reply to  Jasmine

I’ve been using it for probably almost a month. I read the hype over aloe vera so I finally decided to try it, and it’s been great for my hair. It’s definitely become a staple product for me. And yup, it’s watery. Definitely try it. I just pour some into one of those applicator bottles and use it straight, undiluted on my wet hair. I also mix it with some water in a spray bottle — it’s moisturizing and makes detangling easier. There are a bunch of different ways to use aloe vera, so just do some research and go… Read more »

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  leah

I agree my hair is that defined too until frizz gets in the way. Some products help, mainly not leaving the house before my hair is at least 75% dry helps. I tried the slow vera juice but it just dried my hair out

Reply to  Jasmine

Hey Jasmine! I don’t twist my hair or anything it just dry’s that way

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

I’ve been natural since March 2012…’ But, but, but that was only 16 months ago! Wish my hair grew that fast!
Beautiful curls and beautiful lady anyway. Curls look so uniform, but I see you’ve said each side of your hair is different. So pretty!

Reply to  Jo Somebody

woohoo for march 2012! thanks for the comment! yeah its strange because my hair seems pretty uniform but once its completely dry you can see a slight difference in length on both sides haha just gonna try and grow it out as much as I can before I maybe give myself another haircut/style 🙂

blank wholesale clothing apparel

Wholesale clothing lets you buy products which are reasonable and they are of good
quality. re thinking about wholesale kids clothing but sensible you don.
The processes of registration can be simple, yet for anyone
who is not used to this space of buying online then go over the below points to understand the treatment:

Liz
Liz

Your hair is perfect!!!Hope mine gets in a similar chape when it growns…regards from Brazil!

Reply to  Liz

thank you Liz!! ur hair will look amazing I’m sure! 🙂

Nikki
Nikki

Your hair is gorgeous ! Thanks for sharing! Do you deep condition? If so with what ? Thanks so much!

Reply to  Nikki

hey Nikki sometimes I deep condition with Aubrey Organics conditioner! (I think the one I use is Rosemary peppermint, love the smell )

Rachel
Rachel

I deep cond too with their conditioners, I loooove camilla rose ultra smoothing I apply it on dry hair in sections, twist, leave on for 15–30 mins, no heat and rinse. It’s a quick deep cond session when I don’t have time to sit under the dryer or just plain don’t feel like it! I deep cond too with their conditioners, I love camilla rise ultra smoothing I apply it on dry hair in sections and twist leave on for 15–30 mins, no additional heat and rinse. It’s a quick deep cond session when I don’t have time to sit… Read more »

Buy Muscle Maximizer

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it

reese
reese

Your hair is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story. Do you use gel on your hair for your wash and go? I so which one?

Reply to  reese

hey reese! thank you so much! nope I don’t use any gels my hair does NOT like them the closest thing I’ve found that I use on occasion is the “Kinky Curly Knot Today” but for the most part I just leave some TREsemme Naturals conditioner in my hair or Shea Moisture!!
feel free to check out my Facebook page for more info on hair tips and products I use for my wash and goes!
Instagram: bummblebee7

Bianca Alexandra

hey guys! im so glad you liked the interview! my wash and go youtube video is live!! Simplybiancaalexa

Rachel
Rachel

just checked out your ch, love it! I’ve been seeing a lot of ppl using that SM mask as a leave in and even as their styler for twist outs, ill have to try it using it that way I just used it as a deep treatment mask and washed it out

Rachel
Rachel

Lovely hair reminds me so much of mine!! Gorgeous!!

CurlyDoll
CurlyDoll

Hi Bianca. Love your hair and not because your curls (in some pics) looks similar to my mine 🙂 My curls looks like your curls in the last picture (where you’re wearing the turquoise blazer). How do you refresh your wash n go’s?

Charmaine
Charmaine

Your hair is a perfect match for mine! Well, almost perfect. My hair in the front is more frizzy and acts like 4a, but when it’s wet it curls up like yours and the curls in the back dry perfectly while the curls in front get frizzy again. So glad I read your interview ^^ I don’t really fall into the whole hair typing thing myself, but it would be nice to figure out what I am so that I can anticipate what my hair is going to look like when it gets longer. Thanks for sharing.

india
india

I’ve been natural for almost 3 years with about 4 hair cuts. I still don’t know my hair type what that means I really don’t know. When I do wash n go, my curls tuen out ok but its a tight curly patten.