3 Reasons You’re Stuck at Medium Length

Avatar • Jul 15, 2013

geniece

Most of the questions I get asked about hair length retention are not from those with very short hair. In fact, those who recently big chopped are often excited as they learn about their hair texture and explore new styles. This was also my experience. Although I looked at natural hair albums (this was before the era of Youtube hair vlogs) I never sighed wistfully as I compared by TWA to the long twists or braid outs of others. It wasn’t until my hair grew to around shoulder length and stayed there for years that I began to look at my hair with more frustration and delight. The medium length blues are not uncommon as I learned from speaking to friends. Some have cut their hair off returning to shorter hair, others come to the conclusion that the only way to get their hair past shoulder length is to install locs (I’m speaking specifically of individuals who previously wanted to grow out their loose natural hair, not those who already desired to wear locs) and some choose to wear their hair straightened regularly, even if it means inevitable heat damage. I personally considered keeping my hair flat ironed because I felt that if my hair wasn’t going to grow beyond shoulder length then I might as well relieve myself of tangles and knots on a daily basis.

If you’ve had similar experiences or are presently at a crossroads in your hair journey then here are a few things that might be keeping you at medium length.

1. Your hair practices were unhealthy all along but you are only now seeing the results of those practices

You may think that if you managed to grow your hair from a TWA to shoulder length that your hair practices were good up until then. Not necessarily. I easily managed to retain length until shoulder length even though my  practices in retrospect were not the best for my hair. Once the ends of your hair get old they are more fragile and prone to breakage. So after 1 to 2 years (about the time it takes to get to neck length or shoulder length) those bad practices become apparent in your inability to retain length.

2. You have implemented practices that result in hair damage

Have you started to use a blow dryer more often to display your length? Do you notice knots from wash and gos that didn’t exist when you had a TWA? Do you experiment often with hair color? If you have changed up your routine in the last year, I recommend taking a four month hiatus from any of those practices. If you notice length retention  then you will have diagnosed the cause of your hair woes

3. Not Practicing the Basics

Are you…

Moisturizing: keeping your hair, especially your ends moisturized

Gentle Detangling: detangling your hair when moisturized with either a conditioner or a leave in

Protect: wearing styles that are protective if you happen to be prone to knotting and tangles from “out” styles.

I discovered what was keeping me at medium length by making sure I was doing everything mentioned in this article.  Within four months I assessed if the practices worked or if I still needed to change something. In my case four months of changing my routine allowed me to see visible length retention. It helped me to know that I can change up my routine and try different styles but if I ever encountered a dry spell of length retention I could simply return to this list in order to see the results I desired.

If you’ve ever been stuck at medium length how did you get past that stage?

cherishbomb

I was stuck at APL for the longest. I knew it had to be the fact that I wear my hair out all the time, manipulated it often, and washed weekly. I put myself on a 90-day protective styling challenge, and in doing so, reduced my washing frequency from every week to every 3 — 4 weeks and learned what products work best for keeping my hair moisturized for extended periods of time. By the end of my 90-day challenge, I retained a little over 1 1/2 in. and reached a length just past BSL. I’m actually in the middle… Read more »

Anonymous
Anonymous
Reply to  cherishbomb

Hi I’m experiencing small breakage which is a relief because I was dealing with a lot of breakage due to lack of moisture and taking out my braids. Could you list the products you use for moisture. I’ve trimmed and cut my hair so many times and its not helping I still see breakage .

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody
Reply to  Anonymous

How is your diet, water intake and exercise levels?

Rochelle
Rochelle
Reply to  cherishbomb

How does that work with working out/exercising?

Monisola
Monisola

1) long term protective styles. My hair likes to be left alone. like for real. Yarn braids, kinky twists, 4 week long box braids with natural hair or extensions. This is my holy grail.

2) Detangling with fingers,SMALL SECTIONS super gently and only once every 3 weeks.

3) More protien. Aubrey organics GPB every 3 weeks.

My hair is fine 4c fragile. I need to treat it with kid gloves, and do anything to it very sparingly. Except wash and moisturize which needs to occur regularly.

Blessed_Coils
Reply to  Monisola

I agree with your comment, my hair prefers to be left alone as well. I always get tangles and knots from wash n Go’s now, but not in my TWA. When I wear my twist outs my hair gets tangled easily, so I am now opting for more protective styles and less manipulation. 🙂

A
A
Reply to  Monisola

I wish finger detangling worked for me. My hair ends up even more tangled and knotted when I don’t use a comb. 🙁 I have been doing protective styling more and it has helped to drastically reduce breakage and split ends

Judy
Judy
Reply to  Monisola

I have Aubrey Organics GPB (and I know my hair loves it), but I have no idea what the best way to actually use it is! do you prepoo with it, use it as a DC after shampooing, or just as a regular rinseout conditioner?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Monisola
Monisola
Reply to  Judy

I use it as DC every three weeks. I detangle with coconut oil first, then put my hair in about 8 big braids and rinse it or ACV it depending. Then I loosen each braid and apply the GPB to my hair for about an hour mixed with some wheat germ oil (it is good for repairing the cuticle) I rebraid the hair during the application process. I rinse my hair (in the braids)seal, apply a leave in and then style my hair.

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Monisola

I agree! My hair easily grew to neck length after my big chop and didn’t grow any longer. Just like when I wore a relaxer. I wore it out all the time but I don’t think that was the biggest culprit, I did not de-tangle gently, I just combed my hair root to ends roughly and too often and I didn’t moisturize properly. I remember even putting body lotion on my hair to moisturize it! I read you could do that in a magazine and I figured good enough for my body, good enough for my hair. Wrong! As soon as… Read more »

SJ
SJ

This article gave excellent advice. Most of us know these basic things, but when we reach a plateau at medium length, it forces us to truly evaluate our practices and their effects. It wasn’t until I got to APL that I really investigated my hair’s texture (fine strands) and its needs. This is when I had to learn to truly “listen” to my hair. Now at BSL, I see that the advice given here really pays off.

Nana
Nana

Great advice, just recently big chopped again, and I am looking forward to challenging myself to grow and retain a beautiful bushy mane!! <3

Kami
Kami

So I have a question about getting from long to very long. My hair is currently MBL and my ultimate goal is HL. If your hair growth becomes stagnant at that length, could it truly be because that is your terminal length instead of bad hair practices?

carlyfanjaxfan
Reply to  Kami

I am by no means a hair expert but I don’t believe anyone’s terminal length is mid back at least I hope not! Lol

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Kami

My girlfriend grew her natural hair to midback length then after a year, it still isn’t any longer and she is a bit frustrated by it because she wants waist-length hair. But my girlfriend starting wearing it out more often, too and starting hitting up the blow-dryer more often and the flat iron. She was flat-ironing only once a year before and then started flat-ironing four times a year. She also got “a little lazy” as she says and didn’t moisturize her hair as often. Midback can be a fun length and some sistas get a little carried away when… Read more »

Livy
Livy

Excellent article. I took an inch off in May due to heat damage and currently taking better care of my hair. I’ve been natural for three years and I’m learning everyday to take much better care of myself overall. Now learning that my hair thrives in two strand twists and twist outs. Its July and I’m seeing progress and an overall improvement. Thank you for sharing this article, perfect timing!

Vanessa
Vanessa

What about those actually practicing good hair practices and nothing is changing?

cb
cb
Reply to  Vanessa

good question, I’m thinking genetics? BGLH had an article about genetics some time ago

deb
deb
Reply to  Vanessa

also, maybe you are implementing generally good hair practices not working for YOUR hair.

Jamila
Jamila

I notice my hair seems to be stuck at shoulder length when curly and between APL and BSL when blown out or straighten. I’m thinking of wearing more protective styles that to keep me from manipulating my hair daily so that I can retain length. Also I need to use more protein products and deep condition often.

Jazzyann
Jazzyann

Is it possible that whilst transitioning from relaxed (yuck!) to natural (yeah!) to put my hair with its two textures (fine and gray ????) to put in braid/twist extensions with synethic hair? And is it possible for my hair to get past nape of the neck with all the correct products recommended. ???

Fii
Fii

I’ve definitely had neglectful practices that have left me at medium length for many, many years. I’ve been natural since age 16 since and began learning about my hair in 2006, but I have more or less been medium length the entire time. I have cut my hair shorter several times, after which is just grows back to this length around my shoulders and stops. The thing is I would really like to have long and healthy hair, but I am not to much for fussing in my hair all the time. Now I am aiming to simply wear protective… Read more »

Miz B
Miz B

I’ve been stuck at the same length for 3 years. For me, wearing my hair out has been the culprit. I’m now wearing kinky twists with extensions. It seems like she made a conscious decision to heat train her hair and as result she had signicant growth. I would like to know, how often does she flat iron? Once a month, twice a month? I was actually considering heat training but I really love to see my curls!! I also experience major tangles too…sigh.

Miz B
Miz B
Reply to  Geniece

Okay, thanks Geniece!! I should re-evaluate my regimen.

MC
MC
Reply to  Miz B

There is no such thing as heat training, it’s called burning your hair until it’s irreversibly straight. I wouldn’t suggest flat ironing your hair frequently because it can cause heat damage, washing it out and deep conditioning may help but everyone’s hair doesn’t always bounce back, and just like a relaxer you’ll have to either cut it off or grow it out and then cut the damaged ends.

Stace
Stace

I don’t know I feel like there is always a point in time when my hair grows alot suddenly and then for a while the length doesn’t seem to change much, but these times I notice an overall thickening up, then it will start to increase in length again. So, I try not to stress about the length and just focus on the overall condition of my hair. I’ve also started measuring with a measuring tape, because I’ve noticed that to the eye it is harder to see increase in length. To me waste length seems like its just 3… Read more »

Jennifer Kennedy

My technique was just like Monisola.

I started to:

1.) Wear my hair in two-strand twists almost every day! I’d untwist my hair, wash it, and then retwist. Did that for months straight!

2.) Went without the comb and used my fingers for everything.

3.) Stopped trimming on a regular schedule. And, started doing the search and destroy method.

I saw a lot of growth when I just left my hair alone and let it do it’s thing.

LBell
LBell

Yeah, this is pretty much me as well and if I actually liked two-strand twists my hair would probably be a good deal longer than it is even though it’s currently longer than it’s ever been right now (about an inch away from APL at the longest layer). I’m not there yet (long-term protective styling in twists) but I’m getting there… From 1998–2003 I called myself growing my natural hair out while manipulating it pretty much every day. *smdh* In all that time it never got past SL so I totally understand how some (many?) black women could assume their… Read more »

carlyfanjaxfan

My hair was stuck at collar bone for close to a year until I started protective styling hard core and now I am finally approaching full APL. There are so many different hair practices and techniques to encourage growth and retention. My advice would be to try them out one at a time for 4–8 weeks just enough to see if it is working and if so, stick to it.

Growth aids (castor oil, stimulating essential oils)
Vitamins (biotin, folic acid, pre-natals…)
Protein increase
scalp massage
Baggying
Green house effect
Deep conditioning
Protective styling

And I’m sure there are many more. :- )

Maame
Maame

What is the solution againgst the knots during the natural hair journey?

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Maame

For me it’s not allowing my hair to shrink down on itself. Stretching my hair when moisturized in twists or braids…

I hope this help!

la*belle
la*belle
Reply to  Maame

Hey. i have read that oil rinsing.helps some with ssk’s.

Tracy
Tracy

One last thing I don’t spritz my hair with water when it’s loose and that helps me a ton! I only spritz when it’s twisted or braided.

Mary
Mary

I use protective styles for my medium density, kinky curly hair. But for some with loosely curled, fine strands, protective twists and braids may do more harm than good. For these hair types, buns and gently handled, well moisturized out styles may work better.

Ash
Ash

My hair has been stuck at APL for over a year now and I realize it’s because I wear it out too much and I use the blow dryer more than I should. I noticed I got to APL when I was wearing my half wig consistently. I guess it’s time to go back to protective styling, even though I cringe at the thought. I wish there was an easier way to retain length.

Amelie
Amelie
Reply to  Ash

Maybe eliminating the blow dryer for awhile and doing more buns and updos would help? Also you may have to trim and seal your hair more often while it in “out” styles.
I wouldn’t reccomend doing styles you don’t enjoy though. That defeats the whole purpose! It’s all not all about the length either. 😉

patricia
patricia

To be honest i never had a problem even when i reach my shoulder length i been natural for 1 year and i notice that my hair is pass my nose.. but i just do the basic and i always look for product that i want to see the different characteristic and definition. so i do retain length and is not hard .. i always tell lady to keep the regimen really simple and you will retain length
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/me.jpg[/img]

maureen
maureen

she looks like she has been bleaching her skin.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls
Reply to  maureen

I’m pretty sure that’s not the case. There’s something in photography called “lighting” that changes the coloring if ones skin.

Shenequwa jones
Shenequwa jones

Im at the TWA stage but can get it cornrowed…need help gettin past this stage!! Been over a year…help please!

Nessa
Nessa

This is SOOOOOO about me right now, but the only thing… I don’t know what I need to change in my routine. I currently use all Organics by Africa’s Best Olive Oil products with an exception of Castor Oil and Cantu strengthening creme. I only straighten my hair once a year for my birthday and I am currently about to do Havana twists, I’ve left my hair alone for the past 3 months since I had Senegalese twists in March and April. I NEED HELP!!!!! This is my most recent fro.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/froJuly2013.jpg[/img]

Amelie
Amelie
Reply to  Nessa

Looks lovely! 🙂
Maybe your hair just needs more time to break between protective styles. Make sure to be extra careful so as not to cause excessive breakage during takedown.
Are you deep conditioning and doing protein treatments?
How long have you been natural? Possibly you just need to give it some time.

Daa'iyah
Daa'iyah
Reply to  Nessa

Beautiful fro! Are you remembering to moisten/moisturize your hair daily while actually in those protective styles? I used to get braids and weaves but would sometimes even lose hair as it dried out during those months of so-called protective styling.

The Mane Captain
Reply to  Daa'iyah

you can read this post to find out why you lost more hair when protective styling. the hair loss could be prevented

Sheila
Sheila

I was never really caught up on length until I realized that it was a reflection of healthy hair. I had been trying a lot of different products (shampoos, hair masques, conditioners); because, when I initially went natural there was not a whole lot to choose from. I was either using all natural oils, Shea butter, and making my own products. I realized that I had to go back to what I was doing before which was co-washing, natural products, and protective styles. I have to say I have certainly noticed the different in my hair in the last month.… Read more »

Jazzyann
Jazzyann
Reply to  Sheila

Sheila what are the simple products that you used & what product changes did you make for your hair type?

Eat.Style.Play

Taking a lot of these into consideration. My hair has been the same length for at least a year and I was seeing some growth when i kept my hair in braids, then I trimmed it and it seemed to have stayed the same length the back and grown out so much though, longer then I’ve ever had my hair.

Monique

This is a good article. I notice that when I leave my hair alone, I retain the most length, especially in the winter months. During the summer months, I become extremely lazy with my hair yet it continues to thrive. I think I will conduct that assessment because I am noticing an abundance of fairy knots in my hair and that’s not my cup of tea.

Tiffany
Tiffany

I never notice my length until I flat iron my hair. I feel like my hair is staying at the same medium length. Ugh…mabey I should try protective styling. That is the only thing that grows my daughter hair.

trem-dee
trem-dee

I think i have implemented some unhealthy practices most of the ones you mentioned in point #2 so i guess if i reverse those as of now i should be seeing more growth. Thanks much

The Mane Captain

it’s all about technique. Also, i believe the hair’s growth slows down after reaching a certain length.

themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Johanna
Johanna

My hair is not totally stuck at the same length but I retain very little length (0.5 inch per 3 months). I don’t believe in 100% length retention for my hair but I know I can do better then that… The only thing I stopped doing since I’ve been natural is my hot oil treatment… It helped me lot when I was relaxed. Since I was using natural product (coconut oil, shea butter etc…) I think it should work with my natural hair. I really hope it will help because if it doesn’t, I really don’t know what can help… Read more »

vero6

Wow — loved this post! I’m stuck too — this year in fact — (third year) and it sucks — i don’t think I could handle been ‘stuck’ for years as previously mentioned by this lady!! its already doing my head in!! I must admit was in love with blow drying… so had to fall out of love with that!

Trying low manipulation styles for past six months — it appears to be working! Wish me luck — please!

Cardenie

I have listened to my hair and stayed away from wash-n-goes and washing my hair loose. I have to keep it stretched (I used 2‑stranded twists) or else it is mutant knots everywhere. I’ve also understood now that my hair, while dense, has strands that are fine. Volumizing shampoos and conditioners work very well for me, versus stuff to add moisture.

Amoy
Amoy

I too hve issue with growth. I do notice tht my hair grows more in the front than Bck. Also I hve this spot in the middle of head which grows so slow, cuz sleep ony Bck. I do think tho tht protective styles help as well. It’s so amazing sometimes to see some ppl with lots of Length after a yr. and I like wht am I doing wrong. I do a lot of two strand twist tho. Dnt know wht to do abt tht spot tht grows slow in the middle.

Judy
Judy
Reply to  Amoy

I have the same problem re: that spot in the middle!

I’ve read on numerous blogs/vlogs that the best way to address slow growth areas & bald patches is to apply castor oil to the scalp area. I’ve done that whenever I braid my hair for a braid out (which is usually twice a week) this month, and I know it’s still too early to make definitive conclusions, but I swear it’s grown in more!!

LIRG HER
LIRG HER
Reply to  Amoy

I had the same problem, especially when I had color. My top middle seemed to be thinning and breaking horribly. However when I BC’d my second time this February I really cut my top middle really low, much lower than any other area. Nonetheless, now, with the help of PS’ing, my middle is approx 6 in long. I really tended to this area. When I had braids in I took them down within two weeks because my scalp especially in my top middle area was unbearably itching. It took a month to restore that area (my scalp) back to health.… Read more »

Jazzyann
Jazzyann
Reply to  LIRG HER

To the lady who wrote.…… Nonetheless, now, with the help of PS’ing, my middle is approx 6 in long. I really tended to this area. When I had braids in I took them down within two weeks because my scalp especially in my top middle area was unbearably itching.
I agree that many braid materials whether synethic or human cause a lot of itching & breakages. I just wonder is it possible to soak or wash and dry the braids before use. My question though is what is PS’ing??

MC
MC
Reply to  Jazzyann

PS’ing = protective styling. What I did when I had a twa and wanted to put in extensions was soak the hair in apple cider vinegar. I read on nappturality.com that they coat synthetic hair (maybe even human hair too, not sure though) in something that causes irritation to some people’s scalp. It never used to happen when I was relaxed but when I became natural I couldn’t leave extensions in my hair for more than a few days before I took them out to wash my scalp. Apparently using relaxers deadened the nerves in my scalp temporarily until the… Read more »

Yellow Sisi
Yellow Sisi

While I don’t mind my hair growing to the various lengths as described by many. It just seems pointless in a way that my hair has to be in some form of protective state all the time! I love my hair and want to enjoy the freedom and various style options it offers. But acquiring length seems to have become the main focus for all of us. When we get our hair to be as long as we want it to be and we’ve awed everyone with how long our natural hair can grow. What next? I’m just curious to… Read more »

Leanne
Leanne
Reply to  Yellow Sisi

I think the length = healthy hair (well to me anyway). If your hair is growing and responding to whatever tou are doing to it that means its responding positively. And with the lenght and thickness you want it seems that you have more choices in terms of styling. Short hair is a chore and as someone who did a BC maybe over 3 yrs ago and my hair is still shoulder length it is frustrating and discouraging.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Leanne

I have family members who haven’t even retained that much length in the years they have been natural. They had really bad hair growth beliefs, which lead to poor hair care practices and lack of patiences, which then lead to frustration and discouragement. They however are back on track and trying again. The lesson is to stay the course. You will get over this hump. Good luck.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Yellow Sisi

Its a challenge. We want to either disprove the myth, be part of the overcomers — on the winning team ‚who made it to the promise land, or to just simply have long hair because we like how it looks and feels. I get what you are saying though all this work with little fruition can make you think what is the point. Its like that At&t commercial where the little girl says More is better than less because if stuff is not le*deep breath* less there’s more less stuff, then *deep breath* you might want to have some more. But then, your parents… Read more »

Yanique
Yanique

Does the length of your hair have anything to do with genes? Its natural for some persons to grow really long hair while some persons have a harder time and may never get there. the point is love your hair regardless of what length it is.

Asha
Asha

So my hair was growing great now my ends are breaking off like crazy. What regiment should I be doing at this point?

carlyfanjaxfan
Reply to  Asha

Did you do something different prior to the breaking off? If you find the ends are brittle and dry, perhaps you should try baggying with a moisturizing DC. If on the other end, the ends are weak and limp perhaps a protein DC is in order. I find once I kept my protein and moisture balance in check that my ends benefited.

Leanne
Leanne

Wow how odd I stumbles accross this site today as I was just becoming frustrated and unhappy with the way my natural hair is progressing. For someone who had cut their hair when it wasn’t so much a “trend” it should be a little longer or healtier but nothing works for me. I also think it has something to do with genetics so I have to accept that…

hairgrows
hairgrows

All I can say is that hair grows,keeping the length now is the key. I went on a challenge and I realised my back hadn’t retained.I measured it and it was the same “/ at the end of a 3 month challenge so that caused me to tweak things and added castor oil which my hair loves and I am hoping the next time I measure it that it has improved. We can’t get comfy in our routines, but have to keep moving forward.Listening to our hair,being patient and flexible is the only way it’s not easy but so worth it… Read more »

White Man
White Man

You stupid niggers need to go back to Africa! America is a WHITE MAN’s country! Get the fuck out, niggers!

-Signed, a white man

Vanessa
Vanessa
Reply to  White Man

America is for the native Americans. Go back to Europe with your smallpox and black death.

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  White Man

Troll Alert. SMH.

vero6
Reply to  White Man

Sucks how many people can say they’re not racist in public but then
get behind a computer and start screaming racist epithets about a
blog that has nothing to do with race. If you don’t like black people
fine but why take the time out? of your day to come on here and just
start spewing random hateful shit? Does your life suck that bad?

Deb
Deb
Reply to  White Man

yawn.

Gabriella Seng
Gabriella Seng
Reply to  White Man

Technically native americans owned it…jst saying

nappy headed black girl

#2 is a great point. When our hair starts to grow we often want to experiment more and do more “stuff” to it. Sometimes it’s hard to resist the temptation, especially if it’s your first time having longer hair.

tisha
tisha

I’ve learned to just leave my hair alone. I haven’t blow dried, flat ironed, no braids, weaves since the. summer of 2012. My hair has flourished. recently I generously moisturize with water, Shea moisture, gently detangle w/ fingers or denman, put in no more than 10 or 11 two strand twists, wrap and sleep. In morning untwist and style different ways with hair pins. My hair is protected at night and I can enjoy it during the day. And its not being tugged or stressed. It’s free. Best thing is it only takes about 25 minutes at night.

TaiTea
TaiTea

Even when I relaxed I could get my fried hair to grow to about an inch past my shoulder but no longer. I realized my hair craved constant moisture, water in particular. I don’t fuss with too many expensive hair products. I did “splurge” and buy a $8.99 jar of conditioner designed specifically for co-washing. I like it. That and some olive oil and a spray bottle of Infusium, olive oil, and whatever inexpensive cream leave in conditioner is all I put in my hair. That and I have it protective styled 80% of the time. After 3/12 years of… Read more »

winichurch
Reply to  TaiTea

This sounds like good sense to me.. I’m just about to devise a new routine for myself… and Water is on the list! I remember having a wet look perm and I never had trouble growing the crown.. Everything came down evenly — but this natural hair — well it’s a nightmare! 3½ years on I got just 8/9 inc of growth and its staying there!! Its not moving!! I suppose I should be grateful my sisters are stuck at 5 and 3ins — in the same amount of time! The difference between now and then is that even with natural… Read more »

Wenona
Reply to  winichurch

I never thought of that. My hair hardly if ever broke when I had the curly perm it was thick, healthy and shiny. Come to think of it I was always moisturising my hair with the sprays. My ends were fine. I think I have the misconception cause I have not used heat in my hair and it is natural that it doesn’t need so much attention. But I find it needs more attention than ever. Thanks for the heads up.

imani
imani
Reply to  TaiTea

I so agree with seeing a few inches and getting happy with the straigtening comb or flat iron. SOOOOO true! I realized I liked my curls too much to risk heat damage but I have super curly hair that curls up on itself to the point of crazy tangles & knots.Ive recently started diffusing my hair dry and then flat ironing it. Never going for perfectly straight bc my hair refuses to do so and i refuse to put higher temps in my hair to achieve it.I allow it to do its own thing over the week(s) which is to… Read more »

Dezarrelurry@gmail.com
Dezarrelurry@gmail.com

Hi, I really thank you. I have been trying to grow my hair past shoulder length for a couple of years. But when I see growth I always go for the straightener, and then I end up at a stump. I’m not going natural but I’m going to try this method called perm stretching. I’ve found it on YouTube. This is my hair with a rod set in this pic.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/image-26.jpg[/img]

aDawn
aDawn

Dezarrelurry@gmail.com: check out relaxed hair health dot com. she’s on FB and has a blog. I owe going natural to her! I was following her and doing stretches. When my last stretch ended up at 26 weeks, I decided to keep on going! After 12 months, I BCed October 2, 2012 and haven’t looked back! I still follow her blog because she gives great advice on hair health in general.

Pseudonym
Pseudonym

I know a couple people with long gorgeous relaxed hair and they get 2 relaxers/year.

Pseudonym
Pseudonym

My recent reason:

You finally get your hair long so that it can look like something other than an afro or curly bob, go to get a trim with your hair straight, your hairdresser forgets she gave you long layers last time, and cuts all you hair to the length of the shortest layer in the front.

:‘(

Pseudonym
Pseudonym
Reply to  Pseudonym

Also, since my hair looks so long straight, she didn’t realize (though I was suspecting) that she was cutting off so much! Had to be 3–4 inches when all I wanted was a dusting of the ends. 🙁

esther
esther

Wow so accurate and eye-opening! I’m currently around mid back length, and I find that my ends need so much more attention. I’ve forced myself to do more protective styling (e.g twists) so I don’t sabotage potentially growth. It’s definitely true that hair practises at one length shouldn’t necessarily be the same for another length x

TL Meyn
TL Meyn

OMG Pseudonym, that is exactly what happened to me. Actually I told her I DIDN’T want it evened out and just the bad ends trimmed off. She gave me long layers without asking me. The top of my head is recovering from Traction Alopecia (from dreadlocks), so was quite a bit shorter than the rest. Afterward I could have cried. She cut off INCHES in some places. My protective style is a bun and she cut it so short I couldn’t bun it. That was 6 months ago and my hair is FINALLY at the point I can bun it… Read more »

Celeste
Celeste
Reply to  TL Meyn

Yes. I totally understand. And that is why I don’t trust hairdressers or anyone else. I went through a lot of setbacks too because of them.
No more since 2003!

Cc
Cc

i was a shoulder length for the longest time. I found that what helped me was deep conditioning more, paying attention to my ends more, moisturizing everyday, oiling my ends, and putting less tension and heat on my hair. I was shoulder length back in december and now I am an inch from bra strap

Rockitty99
Rockitty99

So my hair type is wavy, and since my mum let me grow my hair (age 3)(she liked keeping me bald before that, don’t ask) till now (age 14), my hair has always been shoulder length! I oil it, moisturise it, massage my scalp, drink water, eat somewhat healthy and take vitamin D tablets. Each time I comb my hair, even when I apply detangler to it, my hair always breaks off. And my hair is also kinda frizzy, but my strands are extremely thin! I even have good hair growth genes! Can someone please tell me a solution to this?!

Kim
Kim

What about actually answering the last question !!