12 Ways to Get Longer Lasting Twists

Avatar • May 14, 2013

Fotki-revised-wname

Style Icon Cipriana

Here are 12 tips for increasing the wear of your twists:

1) Twist on dry, stretched hair.
Twists done on wet hair tend to frizz faster than those done on dry, stretched hair.

2) Use a twist pudding.
Use a twist pudding to twist your hair.  This step will help to add hold to your twists.  The pudding can be made from a simple mix of gel, a butter (e.g., shea), and a little oil (optional).  Be sure not to use too much pudding.

3) Refrain from using moisturizers with humectants.
Prior to twisting, do not use a humectant-based moisturizer.  Humectants draw moisture from the air and can cause your twists to frizz faster.  Glycerin, propylene glycol, and honey are just a few examples of humectants.  (If you absolutely cannot do without humectants, then neglect this step because health comes before beauty.)

4) Use the rope/Senegalese twist method.
Take two strands, coil each one upon itself, and then twist.  The coiling makes for smoother, longer-lasting twists.  For a further description and tutorial of the rope/Senegalese twist method, check this post.

5) Wear a silk/satin scarf to bed.
Bonnets are fine, but scarves will lay down any frizzies and keep the style looking fresher longer.  Be sure not to tie the scarf too tight.

6) Wear a silk/satin scarf under your shower cap.
The scarf will reinforce protection of your style from the water and steam.

7) Keep moisturizing to a minimum.
If you are spritzing your twists daily, then your style will not last long.  Find a moisturizer or sealant that can allow you to go days, or even a week, without reapplication.

8) Keep washes to a minimum.
A good twist style can usually survive 1–2 washes before it is time for a redo.  If you are washing more times than that during the week, your twists will not last long.

9) Braid your twists before washing.
Doing this will help to keep your twists intact and minimize frizzing.

10) Airdry in braids.
Not only will this minimize frizzies, but it has the added benefit of minimizing shrinkage.

11) Redo the perimeter only.

12) Wear smaller twists.
The smaller the twists, the longer lasting the style.  Bigger twists tend to unravel and frizz faster.

Ladies, how do you make your twists longer lasting?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

LaNeshe

Great tips. I’ve been afraid to try the Senegalese twist method for fear that it would make detangling harder. Anyone ever had a tangling problem during take down?

i.mean.really
i.mean.really
Reply to  LaNeshe

It’s a beast. If that’s a current pic of you, my hair is about the same length and it took FOREVER to do the twists. I have the hardest time trying to keep my hair twisted. After three days they always look a hot mess. These did stay longer and looked lovely without getting all frizzy. However, when I it took me two full days to untwist and detangle. I unraveled the twists one by one and finger detangled with coconut oil, but the hair kept on wanting to revert back to the twists. After a lot of combing, coconut… Read more »

Nix
Nix
Reply to  i.mean.really

It sure is a beast! I’m from Nigeria and this is how we do our twists (extensions or no extensions). When you’re done getting your twists, they always look fantastic, but taking them out is another matter; because you start coiling/twisting from the roots, the hair there tends to get badly tangled or just plain loc up. Problem areas for me (and for most women I know) are the hairline and back hair. It’s even worse if you wear your braids for too long. I think it’s better to just twist the regular way–as Chinwe says, health before beauty–but it… Read more »

i.mean.really
i.mean.really
Reply to  Chinwe

How did you detangle with your fingers or a comb? I was seriously struggling.

Rose
Rose
Reply to  i.mean.really

I never had a problem detangling either. After I undid the twists, I wore my hair in a twist out for a few days, and when those got messy/frizzy, I would take a shower and finger comb while the water was running on my hair. Afterwards, I would use some conditioner to comb it out properly with a comb.

eruza
Reply to  LaNeshe

I have some problems to detangling my hair after doing senegalese twist. It s because of my hair texture but i think everybody will have different reaction.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  LaNeshe

I never had problems detangling after taking down Senegalese twists, but I think that’s because I ensured my hair was super detangled before installing them. After wash day, I let my already detangled hair dry in chunky twists, and then I finger detangle each twist with a Vatika/castor oil mix. I pre-section my wash day twists so that I can install the Senegalese twists section by section–it helps cut down on time, but it still takes forever. When I take them down 3 weeks later (any longer is a matting/breakage nightmare), I do so one by one, detangling with the… Read more »

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha
Reply to  LaNeshe

I wear 90 to 95 twists. I have applied the above advice and that of blogger Alicia James. My twist are happy now. On take down I use small amount of Cream of Nature Conditioner and olive oil on twists. One twist at a time. I have 4B/C hair. Untwist closer to the bottom first. My twist glide right out. Very little detangeling make 5 large braids and wash. Start over again. The above mentioned advice has help to keep frizz down and keep my full length.
Hope this helps.

BOBBY
BOBBY

I would to see a list of products that are moisturizing that dont contain Glycerin or any other humectant.

BOBBY
BOBBY
Reply to  Chinwe

Thanks!

Trace
Trace

@LaNeshe my stylist has used this method and the twist do look great and last forever even through swimming and washes but it was a detangled nightmare to take out. I will never do it again.

LaNeshe
Reply to  Trace

Thank you!

msboogee
msboogee

So many restrictions

Tisha
Tisha

I am on a protective style challenge and my hair cannot last more than one week in mini twists…and even a week is pushing it!!I find that disheartening since I do my twists on stretched, dry hair and use all the tips provided here. Still,my twists get super fuzzy after 4 days. The only option I have not tried is #4. I am curious to see how it will work out.

Misskanyared
Misskanyared

I mostly have twists on my hair when campus session, usually last a month. Most girls here (Nairobi) wear the Senegalese. I recommend washing (shampooing) the scalp/ roots using an old toothbrush instead of the braids themselves ‑keeps mine neater. Aaand, when taking ’em down, detangle using your fingers maybe after taking down each one. Makes it easier to brush when done and minimises breakage.

Kwl0711
Kwl0711

Great, timely article…thanks so much!
My hair is in twists now, and I’m paying close attention to how long I can keep this up. Also — good tips, Misskanyared! I think I’ll try them, come wash day.

Ummm
Ummm

This article says not to spritz but how can you keep twists moisturised without water? I have this dilemma and my twists frizz after the first day because I choose to moisturise them with Oyin spritzes, water and seal with karens Creamylicious. If I don’t use water, my hair is bone dry and I’ve yet to see a natural hair product (aside from spritzes) that added moisture without first adding water.

MrsGlam
Reply to  Ummm

It doesn’t say not to spritz- it says to avoid using a moisturizer with humectants BEFORE twisting your hair, and to keep spritzing to a minimum while your hair is twisted. You should try to find a moisturizer that keeps your hair moisturized longer so that you don’t have to spritz as much.

Ummm
Ummm
Reply to  MrsGlam

Yes I was wondering what the alternative might be to spritzing. I’ve tried quite a few natural moisturisers and found Qhemets Burdock Root to be good but unfortunately I don’t have access to it because I’m not in the US. I was wondering if other people were not spritzing and what they may be using. I certainly wasn’t trying to offend anyone. I may have misread it as I thought it said don’t spritz at all when your twists are done. I’d like to lessen frizz but I’m not sure how.

Jacky
Jacky

Thanks

Cassandra McNeil
Cassandra McNeil

I have been twisting my hair for the last month. I do my twist outs wet using Shea Moisture Souffle. So it is best to do the twist with dry hair? I workout 5–6 days a week and sweat a lot in my scalp. Which is this best method?

LaNeshe

I think these instructions are for twists you plan on keeping in, not for twist outs.

Cassandra McNeil
Cassandra McNeil
Reply to  LaNeshe

Thanks for the response. So this is NOT for twist to wear for a week or two?

LaNeshe

If you plan on keeping the twists twisted, and not taking them out for a twist out, these are good tips.

BeautyisMiree
BeautyisMiree

This was a life saver. I twist my hair and I leave the twists in for about two weeks. After the two weeks, I cowash my twists and then redo them.I do this for about a month and a little longer. Anyways my twist will always look a hot mess after a week and will unravel and sometimes you couldn’t tell that they were twists. I decided to change the way I twist my hair, instead of just detangling my hair and twisting it. I detangled my hair first, added a leave in, a little bit of gel, and then… Read more »

DutchGirl4C
DutchGirl4C

Please explain no. 11. “11) Redo the perimeter only. Re-twisting the twists on the perimeter (particularly after a wash) will give your overall twist look a fresher appearance.” What is ‘the perimeter’?

gracie
gracie
Reply to  DutchGirl4C

The “perimeter” is the area around the outside. So she’s saying just re-twist around the edges of your hair and you might not have to do the whole head.
Hope that helps.

Pecan_Tan0810
Pecan_Tan0810

Najah Fatah
Najah Fatah

Thanks for the tips! The comments were informative, also. I am confident my daughter will love the transition from regular braids to Senegalese or Marley Twists. We are excited to try, but her hair is permed (very seldom). Any tips or advice?

Thanks a bunch, ladies!

Jacqui
Jacqui

I recently had my hair twisted (no extensions) and one week later, the parts are still clean, the twists are not frizzy, and the ends of the twists are still beautifully coiled. zHere is what my stylist did.… First she washed my hair and conditioned it, then lightly blotted excess water. She parted it, oiled the clap with a mixture of castor and olive oils, mixed with rosemary, lavender and peppermint essential oils. Then she applied a liberal amount of Organic Root Stimulator Twist and loc gel (to think of all the money I routinely spend on Kinky Curly curl… Read more »

TCole
TCole

I can only wear twists for about a week, but my main concern is not frizz, it’s untwisting! Ugggh, so frustrating, my twists start to come out completely in 3 days. I use lock gel, and the way I twist naturally id a bit rope twist-ish. If I twist my hair dry, they will pretty much come out in a matter of minutes, it has to be a little damp. I will try 3 strand twists next time.

cheats

i — Mobsters 10 Favor Points, a free Favor Points package, seems to also be a popular one.
It is not unexpected after that, they are planning to innovate yet again, because
of their forthcoming activity Tap paradise cove cheats hack.
Not saying that they don’t love you, but they really in all honesty don’t want to
be with you.

Raymon

This increases our battle to fight acne and blemishes.
There’s also a cowl included to prevent light from escaping out the back and optional extension poles if you
plan to have a helper hold the unit instead of mounting it on a light stand.
I have a new battery and my vehicle always starts
fine, so I didn’t think it was a battery problem.

Look at my web blog; dead trigger 2 cheats (Raymon)

Louise

Dickens’ Victorian England is actually quite dark (like Great Expectations), but cenrtialy no tears (well not to me anyway), so I don’t know what these people’s reasoning behind mixing the film name with Les Miserables is (hence my posts before that HK marketing people always add extra layers of unnecessary meanings during translation) I’ve read both books by the way.I think they found the right director to do this movie, Polanski is cenrtialy dark and arty enough to master this literature legend.

S.D.
S.D.

Well, I’m a guy and I have been wearing twists for about 4 months now. I started out with very small twists that barely had any “hang time”, but now the edges are hanging over my ears, and can be stretched to extend to my mid-forehead. I’m happy about the growth in such a short time, what I’m not happy about is how dirty and flakey they get after only a week, or sometimes a couple of days. My stylist uses a combination of gel, honey and a little shea butter. She twists my hair with a rat tail comb, and… Read more »

Diamond B.
Diamond B.

Can someone please tell me what kind of products can I use to hold my Marley twists and my actual hair. I just got my hair done yesterday and my hair is already trying to unravel from the twist. Please help 🙁