From Shoulder to Waist Length: Geniece’s Natural Hair Story

Avatar • Apr 1, 2013

geniece

In 2009 when I had my hair care “aha!” moment I couldn’t wait to share the news with others. After months of researching natural hair care on Youtube, hair websites and experimenting with my hair I realized that things had finally taken a turn for the better. I started a vlog and began documenting my journey through pictures. When I realized by the middle of 2010 that I would likely reach my first goal of arm pit length by the end of the year I set another hair goal of bra strap length for the following year. One thing I did not expect in 2009 was that I would change how I cared for my hair as my lengths goals changed.

n28776_31368280_9084-vi

Twist Out Winter 2007, Shoulder Length Hair Stretched

One thing I can say about growing out my hair is this: Growing out short hair to medium length hair was more challenging than growing out medium length hair to long hair. Moreover, once your hair is already long, say bra strap length, setting a goal of mid back length is even less daunting. In 2009 my hair was shoulder length and not all over either. My hair was layered such that some hair fell a little past ear length, while the hair closest to my nape reached as shoulder. Initially, I focused on growing out my layers and getting my hair to reach a few inches past shoulder length within 7 months. This involved weekly deep conditioning and 24/7 protective styling. I had been pretty rough with my hair during the previous years with daily combing and brushing, so keeping it pinned up in low maintenance style wasn’t a sacrifice, but rather a relief. When I blow dried my hair in May of 2010 I was stunned to see after only 7 months of proper hair care that my fro started to hang (as opposed to stick straight up) due to the weight of additional length. Over the months and years that followed my regimen was adjusted to reflect the hair goal I wanted to achieve.

twists june 2010

Mini Twists Summer 2010, Arm pit Length Stretched

That first year I set a goal of retaining 6 inches so that with trims I’d end the year with 4–5 healthy inches of hair. The following year I had a similar goal. My ultimate goal was waist length so when I set a goal to grow my hair from bra strap length to mid back length I knew that on my body that was a mere 3 inches. I was fine giving myself an entire year to reach that goal and therefore skipped some of the steps in my regimen. The reasons I was able to abbreviate my regimen were two fold. First, keep in mind that as your hair grows the time it takes to do certain tasks will increase significantly. In 2009 I could detangle and wash my hair in the shower in about 30 minutes. Now, the application of my pre-poo and detangling takes a little over 1 hour and then I have to wash my hair, which takes an additional 30 minutes. Second, I begin my hair journey with hair that had been roughed up by my lack understanding. I needed to make up for poor practices by babying my hair. My hair was much healthier two years later because it had not been subject to weekly blow out sessions or a lack of proper moisture. I could therefore deep condition less without damaging my hair.

9df04b77-9071-4ed4-9852-e1a81458000e_zps1a9705eb

Blow out, Spring 2011, Bra Strap Length Stretched

By 2012 I no longer cared to retain 6 inches of hair each year and was therefore more comfortable not deep conditioning every week even if it meant I would need to trim more frequently. My hair wasn’t super long but it had reached the length that I set as a goal back in 2009. As of the writing of this post my hair has recently been blow dried and is about 2 inches longer than it was December, meaning I’ve retained all four months of growth.

f767c9ba-5b9c-4c22-9201-a75fd3e9d56d_zps6267e6d3

Current Length of My Hair, Waist Length Stretched

The take away advice I want to leave you with is this: If you currently have ear length hair and ultimately want to reach mid back length or waist length don’t believe that you are glued to your current regimen. If you implement excellent hair care and are able to hit a new milestone each year, you will eventually find that there are some steps that you can skip without ruining your hair journey. Sure, you may not get every single ½ inch possible but you will be able to know how to maintain your hair length or shoot for 2–3 inches a year when you reach the point when you actually don’t want to grow your hair much longer. That point may seem a long way off right now, but with proper hair care trust me, it may sooner than you know.

Has your hair care regimen changed at different hair lengths?

Coconut + Cream

Stunning lady with gorgeous hair!

On another note, I’m slightly annoyed that my hair has come to a stand still after 3 years (APL). My hair seemed to be growing like weeds in my first two years, now it’s at doldrums! *sighs*

Tashii
Tashii

I am 3 yrs in, APL and i’m feeling like i’m stuck too. Im going to try taking some supplements and see if that helps with the growth because I really wanna get to that BSL.

SJ
SJ
Reply to  Tashii

This means you’ve hit a plateau in your length retention. Most practices that may be harmful for your hair will not prevent retention the first two years. However, as the hair grows older, your hair may not be able to handle certain things without damage after those first 2 years. I found this article to be especially helpful: http://blackgirllonghair(dot)com/2012/04/3‑ways-to-get-over-hair-length-plateaus/

I hit a plateau maybe a year or so also, and was able to grow it out to BSL after tweaking my regimen a bit.

Deb
Deb
Reply to  Geniece

I moisturized my ends daily, sealed with castor oil (not the best for cute “out” style but it protect the hair well)and pinned it up.”

this is also what I did to pass shoulder length when I had relaxed hair.

nappy headed black girl

Oh my…I’m in awe of your hair. It’s fabulous. Do you have an ultimate length goal?

Geniece
Geniece

I’m comfortable with this length. I’m not actively trimming it to maintain the length so I could theoretically graze hip length by the end of the year. If I grew it out to hip length I would probably cut it back to waist for blunt even ends.

Valerie
Valerie

That was an encouraging post

kss
kss

I don’t understand why some have their boxing gloves on.. It’s titled ‘Black Girls with Long hair’… Not interested why post?…I’m very interested because that’s what I want and its motivating. To see we can grow our hair or healthy without dreads (nothing against them I had them for a few years) or with a relaxer is wonderful to me! BGLH please keep the posts up. Thank you 🙂 BTW very gorgeous hair

crist_lite
crist_lite

LOOOOOOVE these kinds of articles..keep em coming!

Jj
Jj

I love her she is such an inspiration!

KTG
KTG

Did you do protective styling 24/7 all the way through? How much did you depend on protective styling throughout the process and what were your staple styles? My hair grew from APL to BS+ in one year of marley braids. I am wondering if I can achieve as much growth while not protective styling.

Summergirl
Summergirl
Reply to  Geniece

Now that you reached your goal, do you still do protective styling?

Summergirl
Summergirl
Reply to  Geniece

Thanks for the reply.

Vonnie
Vonnie

Good post. I to am understanding that my regimen can no longer stay the same. Its easy to get lost with all the “style tutorials” online, but I’m realizing I have to get “back to basics” as far as protective styling if I want to see my hair prosper. I also deep conditioned religiously and was able to change the porosity level of my hair. I’m losing less hair now in the wash as a result

mangomadness
mangomadness

Once my kinky, coily, Afro-textured hair got to be ~6 inches long, I started finger-detangling before washing and washing in twists. I also stopped doing wash-n-goes and opted for stretched styles (braid-outs, buns, updos, etc.)

I recently made BSL (Yay!) and I look forward to making MBL. Patience and consistency will get me there.

shelikes
shelikes

your hair is so pretty. long and fluffy. i wear my hair out everyday. too lazy for twists. and, i am so scared to blow it dry because i had a terrible experience with heat damage once before. i noticed that you had a bad experience with heat before. how do you blow it dry now to do your length checks? what type of blow dryer, what is the setting? do u do it or do u trust someone else to do it? how often to you blow dry? do u still have heat damage? i ended up having to… Read more »

Alwina
Alwina

Thank you for sharing! I’m at a point where shoulder length is real and not really moving any further. I do protective styles but I think I missed something. Working on a regimen right now.

zoraida
zoraida

I love your story, and it’s such an inspiration to all of us. You have beautiful hair and a beautiful spirit! Thanks for sharing 🙂

yoco
yoco

I’m stuck at just below bra strap when stretch(top of bra strap without stretching.) Wonder if this is my “terminal length because, just past my brastrap was my length throughout H.S. (before perming; only straightening) and college (permed and flatironed so much ended up with hair just past shoulders). I’m a no heat naturalista now and know that it is beneficial to length retention. However, I know that length is also genetically determined, so maybe this is it. I’m going to do a lot of protective styling this summer (buns and twists in buns). It’s going to be too hot… Read more »

Jo
Jo
Reply to  yoco

I think we have to be careful with termi al length as we don’t have all the info.I personally don’t believe so just keep persevering and you will see breakthrough. I understand hair hae cycles however that I nformation is not given to us o paper when we are born so we just have to apply what we know until we know better. I am curently BSB (below shoulder blade) and my goal is WL so will keep going until I reach it as I believe it is within my reach.

zoraida
zoraida

You’re amazing! A real inspiration, and a true icon in your own right! You go, girl 🙂 x
Check out her youtube channel, as well.

tasha
tasha

what kinds of pro styles did you use. was it with extensions or just your regular hair. if in extensions how did you wash and dc your hair.

Naturalhairteen214

What Kind of styles did you wear?
Were they protective?

Kelly
Kelly

Truly inspiring. I’ve seen her old YouTube videos when her hair was shoulder length even after five or six years of being natural! A lot of us when we first go natural or are natural for years focus more on styling and are not even aware that our hair can grow down our backs. Geniece’s hair is beautiful. She’s beautiful. She’s glowing in these photos and looks regal and exotic. I’m wondering where does Geniece’s hair naturally fall when it’s not blow-dried. In other words, how much shrinkage does she have when she doesn’t use heat and how does she… Read more »

jerseygirl1977

love your hair. it looks nice and healthy. i’m almost at my hair goal. maybe i’ll get there this year lol.

AC
AC

Her hairline is so full! I know that’s a weird compliment but I want a fuller hairline… the baby hair look is not the business on me lol

Mimi
Mimi

Geniece, your hair is gorgeous. I am currently transitioning to natural hair and I was wondering what tips, recommendations you can give me so that I can have healthy, **hopefully” long hair like yours.

MazeinDC
MazeinDC

What are good protective styles for a TWA?!?!

Jack
Jack
Reply to  MazeinDC

Maybe Bantu knots, a straw set, or small two strand twists (tied down with a scarf overnight to keep them laying down flat).

thelady
thelady
Reply to  Jack

I did twists outs and coil outs to keep my hair stretched which helps prevent tangles. Now that I have 5 inches I do flat twist outs.

yayee
yayee
Reply to  Jack

i do like two big not too tight cronrows and i always scarf my hair before i go to bed… are the cornrows classified under the protective styles ?

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  MazeinDC

Try finger coils.

dee
dee
Reply to  MazeinDC

a twa is pretty much it’s own protective style because it’s not rubbing against anything. i left my twa alone when i was growing it out until i had to detangle but my hair does better with really low manipulation.

MazeinDC
MazeinDC

What are good protective styles for a TWA?!? I am having trouble getting my hair to grow. I am just starting to use Castor Oil as well as other essential oils like peppermint and rosemary oils to help with my hair growth. At this point I only just want to attain shoulder length hair. Any tips?!?!

Keikimummy
Keikimummy
Reply to  Geniece

I currently have a TWA, too. My hair is too thin for twists or twist-outs. Because it’s short (1 to 3 inches in different places), all you see is scalp. My way of protecting my ends is using NO comb or brush whatsoever. I gently finger detangle with conditioner generously applied to my hair. I rarely get knots doing it this way, and so my hair is growing quite a bit (When I trimmed at the beginning of March, the back and sides were basically cut down to my scalp. Now, I have a bit more than an inch there… Read more »

TheeAverageJo
TheeAverageJo
Reply to  Geniece

You may want to try improving your diet. Hair is made up of proteins, so make sure you are getting 10% of your weight in proteins at least every day. Drink more water. Try to get in 1 cup for each hour you are awake and that gets you to the minimum requirement. Eat more leafy greens and fruits. You’ll see dramatic results. The better the food you put into your body, the better out put you get too!

Merinofro
Merinofro
Reply to  MazeinDC

The twa is where I personally did the most trimming.…. The only real protective style is to cover it with a hat or scarf. One piece of advice I will give you right now is to don’t think about length right now. Enjoy this length it will be over before you know it. Make sure you cover it when you sleep and have a satin pillowcase in case it slips.… Good luck, sis…

Naturalist
Naturalist

I’ve tried everything from mango grease to castor oil to grow my hair is there certain products that you used that I can use. MY HAIR is shoulder length now but I would love to have it mid back length

MsDee
Reply to  Geniece

You MUST also clip the scraggly thin wisps of hair frequently, or your hair will stunt.

Vera
Vera
Reply to  Naturalist

I have been using Silica (JarrowSil 10 drops x1 a day) and NOW MSM powder ( approx 2000–3000 mgs day) for the past 2 months and I’ve noticed my hair is growing like crazy. I’ve already seen a full inch of growth. for me that’s a big deal. From what i understand it works from within to build stronger collagen and keratin. I am NOT recommending these brands or the dosage. Do the research for yourself and do what works for you. hope this helps.

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Vera

Be careful with the MSM powder it can rob your body of iron.

crist_lite
crist_lite
Reply to  Naturalist

whoa slow down, before u can get to midback u have to get to apl and bsl first with PATIENCE, it’ll grow just retain what you gain 🙂

Dianamarie56
Dianamarie56

Geniece…would you share exactly what you do on a weekly, bi-weekly and monthly basis with your hair in terms of products you use, and styling. I have bra strap lenght hair..recently trimmed my split ends and I struggle with which products seem to work bet on my any where from 2C,3A, 3B, 3C..some 4A hair. My hair on onside of my head is more 2C/3A the other side 3B/3C..the top is a mix of 3A/3B the middle and back a mixture of 3C/4A…Many products are just to heavey for my hair so twist outs and braid outs never look good…of… Read more »

MrsGlam
Reply to  Dianamarie56

Just wanted to jump in and say, I’m glad your health is back on track!

DianaMarie56
DianaMarie56
Reply to  MrsGlam

Thanks so much Mrs Glam..it was a long long road to recovery and the journey continues…losing my hair was horribly frightening and for several weeks I was just paralyzed…but as the Dr’s on my team got me on the road to better health I began to look at things differently..one of those things was my hair. Going natural was more of a step in the right direction as far as healing and restoration of all aspects of my health were concerned. Not having the need to go to a beautician or use anymore chemicals was wonderfully freeing!!. Once the hair… Read more »

MrsGlam

Geniece, I’ve followed your vlog on Youtube for several years. Congrats on your great progress: your hair looks amazing!

MazeinDC
MazeinDC

Thanks for the tips ladies. I plan to try the twist and silica and MSM 🙂

Kelly
Kelly

Geniece, I was wondering how much does your hair shrink when it’s not in a blow-out. Since you stated in your recent YouTube video that you don’t use heat that much, how do you typically wear your hair when it’s not blown-out? Beautiful hair, by they way.

tasha
tasha

Hello Geniece,

Like Dianamarie56, I would like to know what your regimen is on weekly and biweekly basis. My hair is at the bottom of my neck. I grew out my relaxer so Feb 2012 was the last time I had a relaxer. I officially had no more relaxer in my hair as of Aug 2012. My hair definitely getting stronger and healthier; I have retained my current length since Jan 2013. I have a solid regimen now but I would like to know what you do differently. PLEASE Share, I would love to have results like yours 🙂

DianaMarie56
DianaMarie56
Reply to  Geniece

I am so glad you addressed low manipulation styles…can you give some pictorial examples.…I am definitely going to try some low manipulation styles…right now I simply wash, pat dry, leave in conditioner(Giovanni or Motions spray leave in direct leave in)Recently started using Burt’s Bee’s no sulfates shampoo..it is expensive so unless I run across another good coupon I am going to stay with Giovanni tea tree shampoo. To shampoo I divide my hair into 4 sections with then wash each section separately with the shampoo..rinse..add my cheap VO5 conditioner to each section (I also use Vo5 conditioners as co-wash…my hair… Read more »

london
london
Reply to  DianaMarie56

Hi, Your regimen sounds good so I don’t think any changes are needed.Kimmaytube has nice conservative hairstyles and has a YouTube n twitter page.Buns are nice and flatter everyone and good for protecting the ends. I hope that helps and happy hair journey
😀 From London

Rochelle
Rochelle

Hi! I just wanted to start by saying that your hair and you are extremely lovely. My question is that I’ve been constantly wearing my hair in a pony puff. The scrunchie I have has fabric that is similar to silk or satin i guess. So is it hurting my hair? I rarely comb my hair and I use my fingers to detangle. But everyday I mist or wet my hair with water and aloe Vera juice then I moisturize with a leave-in and seal with castor oil. I do regular deep conditioning, trims and protein treatments. But I still… Read more »

Stacey
Stacey

I’m a natural with type 4 hair. I big chopped in november 2012. The post I’ve read on BGLH from you have been very helpful. Can you provide your YouTube name?

jungfrau1010
jungfrau1010
Reply to  Stacey

Her YT name is Sunshower143

Myckelle

I didnt feel that the article gave any specifics, which is why everyone is asking so many questions in the comments sections. It says that she grew her hair and changed her routine, but doesnt tell what exactly her routine IS. Can we get this broken down, perhaps? I am working on growing my daugthers hair naturally, and everytime I blow it out after 6 months, there are 4 inches of dead ends, and I have to cut it and start over again. Everytime it grows, its dead and split, and its been two years now. We need details so… Read more »

naturalrocks
naturalrocks
Reply to  Myckelle

The key is low manipulation and tweaking your regimen accordingly and patience. We can have a detailed regimen listed but it would work differently for everyone as no head of hair is the same. Happy hair journey.

Merinofro
Merinofro

Hey, Geniece! Your journey is interesting and so very TRUE!!! Most people think that the products make the length retention more than the care.… Even along this line you can read some people still don’t get it.…. I also found that as my hair grew, there were different ways I had to deal with it. I remember when I would frustrate myself with practically daily length checks…ouch! I also remember the wash and go fro’s that my hair has long since stopped allowing me to do. Now, I like to think that GOD gives you what you can deal with… Read more »

Koko Classic
Koko Classic

I enjoyed reading this post. I am fairly new to the natural hair journey. I am just coming up on two years on my journey and it has been an experience. More so within this last few months. I started my journey by wearing my hair in either braids or a sew-in and decided to wear it out last August. In reading the comments I came across DianaMarie56 post. In that post I read about the different hair types of 2C, 3A and so forth. I would like to know how to find that information out regarding my hair.

Kiera
Kiera

Hey Geniece! I have always had long hair my whole life (about 1 inch shorter than mid back length). Well in the summer of 2011 I decided to go natural. Being inexperienced in that area (I did absolutely no research), my hair became damaged with split ends which resulted in my beautician cutting my hair to shoulder length. Now me, being so upset from my hair cut and blaming myself for lack of research, I decided to do the “big chop” for my 16th birthday in 2012. I cut my hair very very short to my jawline. It was so… Read more »

Tanya
Tanya
Reply to  Kiera

Kiera, I know that you didn’t ask me, but she has a great youtube channel where she talks about her hair journey. Perhaps you can find some tips from her there?

Kiera
Kiera
Reply to  Tanya

Thank you Tanya! Do you know if I could find it by typing her name, or would I need to type something else?

Tanya
Tanya

Hi, Geniece! I am on a waist length journey as well. I seem to have tapped out at mid-back length. But my hair at the back is much more fragile than anywhere else on my head. I only have about 2 inches to go, though, and I am in protective styles about 95% of the time. Your channel has been an encouragement to me on my journey. Thanks!

Chris
Chris

Hi Geniece, I follow you on youtube and would like to know more about your trim regimen when you were growing out your layers.
How long did it take to get it “almost” all one length? How often would you trim and how? Thanks in advance.

veronica

Hi Genience I envy you…. Lovely hair – please give me some!… I too would like to know more about the layers… the hair at my crown is the bit that really gets me!! It’s so annoying, been natural 3 yrs 1 mth! Since Dec 2012 up to this point I have remained at 8 ½ inches!! Which is just past shoulder in-between armpit length.. Can you believe it? I have not moved — I’m about to (Punch the air!!) Really I am so frustrated!!!!!!!! I have some 4c 3b at back and 4b at sides! In the last 2… Read more »

Diana
Diana

Hello Veronica!!!… I just wanted to offer my support in your current hair journey and to let you know that you are not alone in your frustration. first, I completely appreciate the fact that you are an “older woman”..I am too and many of the ladies here and on you tube are quite young and enjoy so many of the Less conservative styling of their hair. I just don’t look the way I want to look with say a “fro Hawk”. I have found that this journey is a slow one step at a time kind of thing. I lost… Read more »

vero77
Reply to  Diana

Oh Diana Thanks so much for a really good meaty reply! I think i may have seen Tamika not sure — but will check her out now and those tools sound interesting! — and will defintely look out for Mahgony curls — i have seen simply unique — her hair grew so fast! I was taking Biotin since April stopped two weeks ago i didnt see any difference in my hair — only my nails. But i suspect didnt take it long enough… Also your right about the heat… I loved blow drying on the hottest setting (shaking head)…tut tut!.… Read more »

Diana
Diana
Reply to  vero77

You are so welcome!!!. I honestly think that if you stop or at least reduce the blow drying..or watch Tamika’s video on blow drying plus use a heat protector before you blow..you will see your hair take off…ya gotta be patient…I know you want immediate results but Rome was not built in a day! Watching Tamika will give you all kinds of great styling suggestions and tips that will give you the kind of low manipulation hair do’s up or down that you seek. I have been taking the biotin for about a year now and yep!! I see a… Read more »

mags
mags

Hi Geniece, I have 3c hair. I used to have waist length hair in my early twenties, but started cutting for various reasons (rebelling against mother dearest etc…). It is currently when stretched mid back, and I would like to get it back to where it used to be. I do not straighten, blow dry or shampoo, but I am guilty of wetting my hair more than once a week because it’s quicker and easier (I use co-wash by Pantene). Is there a good product you would recommend to moisturize? I do not like spending more than 20 minutes on… Read more »

Jasmine James

hi what do you use in your hair the steps you take an the natural things you use in your hair i see u mention it not what oil you put in your hair what made you hair grow then what kind of care do you mean

Chantelle
Chantelle

Hi Ms. Geniece! Your hair looks amazing! Can I ask you to help me on a regimen for mines please! I cut my hair (almost bald)last year Oct (2012) and now it’s just past my shoulders (in the back) when braided and for the sides just above my shoulders when braided. Since i have cute it i haven’t used any heat on my hair. I tend to put myself on month challenges where I never leave the ends out, I have done this 3 times since I have cut it. I don’t wash my hair often and I think my… Read more »

Shevone
Shevone
Reply to  Chantelle

I have 4c SUPER DRY hair. I have found, that unlike other naturals, I can’t just use coconut oil and call it a day. The ONLY thing that saved me was Jamaican black castor oil. I transferred the oil to a hair color applicator bottle, and added peppermint oil as well. I part my hair, apply to my scalp and massage in. It lasts for DAYS. It’s very thick, almost like honey, so I don’t put on my hair itself.…just my ends for sealing a twistout if they are rough every now and then. It’s also known to be good… Read more »

gria
gria

what products did you use during the process?

Kelly
Kelly

My daughter has almost waist-length hair because for the most part, I just leave it alone. I think that’s the best way to retain length for more fragile, kinky hair types. I know it’s hard because for a lot of us we haven’t spent many years seeing our natural hair or playing in it. Also, some of us get bored and just want to change it up! But the low manipulation worked out for my daughter’s hair. Her hair used to just grow to just above her armpit and then the ends would break off or split. Her hair wouldn’t… Read more »

cheav
cheav

sweet

WHITNEY
WHITNEY

I have been having problems with growing my hair since i have been a little girl my mother and sister have indian hair i have my dads hair african so she never could take care of my hair till today when my hair grows just a little and i straighten daily to keep in looking hot it breaks off i just run my fingers through and a whole lot of hair falls out. also my hair is a ugly blond mixed with brown naturally i want to dye it but not sure which colur to go with right now i… Read more »

Lawuan
Reply to  WHITNEY

First start off by cutting back on the flatironing. Everyday is harsh on the hair even Caucasian hair cannot take that much without possibly getting damage. Try to only flatiron weekly or biweekly if you want to have your hair straight. Make sure to moisturized and seal your hair full of moisture prior to flatironing so your hair stay hydrated for at least a week in its flatiron state. Wrapping your hair at night keeps the hair smooth so you don’t have to keep flatironing everyday and get at least a good 4–7 days out your hair. From there you… Read more »

monniej
monniej
Reply to  WHITNEY

you sound like a perfect candidate for teri laflesh’s tightly curly method.

Ernestine
Ernestine

Do you believe long hair is genetic.

12GaugeNRed
12GaugeNRed
Reply to  Ernestine

Hello Ernestine, I realize that your question on 11/10/13 was not directed to me, but I want to share my thoughts about genetic links to long hair and growth. I too, have been all over Youtube and Blogs everywhere, and I can tell you that from what I see, before and after and some adolescent photos that some women upload. Most of them already had long hair as a child or shoulder length thick hair. Most will take an opposing viewpoint, but I do believe that genetics plays a role in your ability to grow hair naturally and to reach… Read more »

Chandra

Wow what amazing progress! I’m gonna start following you! Yes my regimen does change with longer lengths. I am about mid-back length stretched and I would like to remain there but with my shrinkage. I imagine I’d need to be full waist length stretched to hit midback with shrinkage? Not sure though. I go back and forth with wanting to just enjoy my hair verses always trying to “actively” retain more length…However I do understand that with proper hair care which is imbedded in me! My hair will automatically retain a good amount.

hidaya
hidaya
Reply to  Chandra

Genetics play a role in everything with our bodies!! Hair is a part of our bodies, as well!!

Sherise
Sherise

Hi,I was just reading some comments and basically I get the idea that you have to not use heat to grow your hair out longer. For me this is not possible as every time I wash my hair and then dry it, it goes matted and very dry. Therefore when I get out of the bath or shower I put my hair into sections and put my moisturizer in it then comb it out with a wide tooth comb. After that I blow-dry my hair. I was thinking of straightening my hair but I’m not sure as I have been… Read more »

Toni
Toni
Reply to  Sherise

There are plenty of people who use heat and grow their hair to long lengths. In fact, look up the longhairdontcare channel on youtube. That young lady “heat trains” her hair, which means that she blow dries it. You just have to be careful with the heat, make sure to use heat protectant and be diligent about your conditioning and moisture regimen.

Nini
Nini

My hair grew very long. About shoulder lenght when I was pregnant. And that was 2 years in my natural hair journey. Now it’s just about at my neck. It’s been shedding like sick. The front is short like it’s been pulled. I’m trying to grow it again but just scared if I had another baby same process will repeat itself. Also it looks very ugly I feel like covering it up. My twist outs don’t look as nice. Please help. Can I take vitamins or something? This is how it looks on twist outs. So uneven. Thanks.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/image.jpg[/img]

Claudette UK
Claudette UK
Reply to  Nini

Do take zinc as it works on your immune system and is great for those of us dealing with stress, and having a baby is a lot of stress on the body. I had terrible post partum hair loss, but because I was taking zinc, I lost a lot of hair but didn’t end up with bald patches. Your hair will grow back and it is upsetting, but bear with it and don’t let it put you off having another child. Get a good hair/skin/nails vitamin to take regularly and take care of your hair.

Bulelo
Bulelo

Hi, I grew up relaxing my hair for as long as I can remember, and it came to point where my scalp became sensitive to relaxers. Salons tried to advise me to use that and that. I have even tried baby product but still my scalp would start to burn quickly. It was in 2012 I decided to cut my hair and go natural and i was overwhelmed by how much I loved my natural hair. Beginning, of 2013 I went to a salon n did bonding and the tight pulling of my hair damaged my scalp, right in the… Read more »

sebrina
sebrina
Reply to  Bulelo

I use Jamaican black castor oil on my spot and massage it. My hair is growing back. I’m also going to try the cayenne pepper and castor mix. Google it and there are several ways to mix it. The cayenne is the same stuff found in alopecia treatments and is supposed to stimulate the hair follicles.

katie
katie
Reply to  Bulelo

Hi, Last year my hair broke off from medication that I was taking. I had bald patches around my temples and the sides of my hair. The rest of my hair is very long 14 inches so the damage was very evident. I used aloe vera leaf on the affected area every 3 days and massaged my scalp with black castor oil. I wore my hair in two large cornrows for like 2 months but, now those areas have around 4 inches of growth. I think diet is really important too. I ate lots of greens and red cabbage which… Read more »

Geneva
Geneva
Reply to  Bulelo

I opened the photo to look at it more closely but my best advice is to go to a dermatologist. It looks to me like whatever happened it gave you at least a 2nd if not 3rd degree burn, and the skin is now healed over and shiny which isn’t a good sign. You should always be able to see the hair attempting to push through the skin even if it is very fine

hidaya
hidaya
Reply to  Geneva

I agree with u . She needs to go to a dermatologist!

GK
GK
Reply to  Bulelo

No sweetie, you have alopecia. Look it up it’s very common and the hair will eventually grow back I had the same thing happen to me. It’s not the salon’s fault. If your bald surface was smooth then it’s definitely alopecia providing your blood test came back normal. Why has no doctor told you about alopecia as yet? You can get medication and the hair will grow back eventually.

Isabella la
Isabella la

Hi, im 14
i’m mixed (my mum is white my dad is black)
I have short hair, it’s soft but kinky
i wash my hair everyday
I used chemical hair straighteners 3 times (big mistake of my life)
my brother cut my hair, and it is now so short ( just a bit below my neck line)
it hasn’t been growing for 5 months
I need help, please tell me your natural hair secrets, it’s awesome 🙂

GK
GK

Trust me on that one though research it or go to a dermatologist or doctor and I’m sure eventually you will be told. I had all of your symptoms. Burning fast with relaxers etc, etc, I highly recommend not using the castor oil just go to the doctor and get medication it will grow back trust me! I’m back to normal and haven’t had it since, drop the castor oil first though that’s what I had to do. Just be patient after the medication it will take a few months but slowly you will get back your hair in the… Read more »

Allnatural

Hi I’m based in South Africa and our hair is generally of a tighter curl texture. I’m challenging myself to reach waist length and have a blog to share my experiences

Christopher
Christopher

The Lower East side has raised a wonderful afroprincess Geniese. I am so proud to have known her.
Respectfully