White TV Reporter Posts Photo Combing Adopted Black Daughter’s Hair, Creates Facebook Buzz

Avatar • Jul 28, 2012

Facebook was set ablaze on July 25 after Frank Somerville, a white TV reporter in California posted a photo on his page of him combing his adopted black daughter’s hair with the caption:

So for those of you who think tv can be glamorous, this is how i spent my morning, learning how to take out my daughter’s braids. It takes a long time and a lot of patience!

Within a few days the photo had been shared more than 2,500 times and received more than 12,000 likes.

Somerville followed up with a statement a few days later,

It’s not often that I am speechless, but I am floored by the response to the picture I posted, and by how touching and personal many of them were. To me the picture shows a dad doing what a dad SHOULD do, and loving every minute of it. The birth of my first daughter, and adopting my youngest daughter, are the two best moments of my life, and I feel like the luckiest dad in the world that my family is interracial. I can’t thank all of you enough. And remember CHANGE HAPPENS ONE PERSON AT A TIME!

The picture is definitely touching, and brings to mind Clifton Green, another white father who adopted an Ethiopian girl, and soon became responsible for her hair care.

Ladies, what do you think of the photo?

Nisha

Wow! I’ve honestly never seen nothing like this before. It’s beautiful.

Jo
Jo
Reply to  Nisha

Totally agree :).

Reply to  Nisha

MY BLACK FATHER ALWAYS DID MY HAIR. SO IF YOUR BLACK FATHER DIDN’T THEN SORRY FOR YOU. DONT PUT THEM ALL IN ONE CATEGORY. BLACK FATHERS ARE THE BEST!

Reply to  Connie1

Totally agree! I am so sick and tired of people seeing white people as ‘saviours’. ‘Oh wow, he’s a white male and taking care of his black daughters hair, oh wow so touching’. Sarcasm off. Ugh.

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  Eloisa

I tooooootally knew somebody was going to say this… Le sigh. Crab in a barrel mentality

Reply to  Nicole

Uhm no. I’m just tired of these white people worshipers. It’s sickening really.

Cheryl Denice
Cheryl Denice
Reply to  Eloisa

…girl, you are a trip. I agree and definitely don’t see whites as saviors.

I just think a man combing his daughter’s hair is nice, though I know of a brother in church who combs, washes, conditions, braids, etc. his wife’s and daughters’ hair. He’s not a barber nor is he gay, just a good Black man. I honor Black men. My dad is a good one. He never did my hair, though…rotfl!

I think folks are making a big deal because he is white.

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Connie1

That’s not what Nisha said and there’s no need to shout. Keep your rage to yourself if you have nothing positive or constructive to say.

Reply to  Rachel

CONSTRUCTIVE. OK. MY BLACK FATHER ALWAYS DID MY HAIR. HE TOOK TURNS WHEN MY MOTHER NEEDED A BREAK. I THINK ITS GREAT THAT THIS WHITE FATHER IS TAKING THE TIME TO DO HIS DAUGHTERS HAIR. IS THAT POSITIVE ENOUGH FOR YOU? ALSO, I AM NOT SHOUTING. I JUST LIKE TYPING IN CAPS.

Nikki
Nikki

So great! My father is Black and he NEVER did my hair. I am pretty sure he has no idea how to. I wish I had moments like this with him, he wasn’t around very much let alone to do my hair. Such a special time to share with their daughters. Love it.

kifsgirl
kifsgirl
Reply to  Nikki

I’m with you Nikki. My father NEVER touched my hair. I was little in the 70’s and maybe that’s the difference. This 21st century is so interesting. Go on with your bad self Dad:)

LBell
LBell
Reply to  kifsgirl

Another child of the 70s here and yeah, my dad never touched my hair but he DID express his opinion about my getting it pressed (and, later, relaxed). Needless to say my mother ignored him…for better or worse…and then when I went (back to) natural 20+ years later he was bothered because it was so short. I’ve BC’d so many times since, he’s used to it now… 🙂

Anyway, that photo is awesome. Any man doing their daughter’s hair is awesome IMO.

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  LBell

It must have continued on into the next decade because I was born in the early 80s, LOL. My father was very far from progressive but like @kifsgirl noted the 21st century has really brought up some changes for the better. It is awesome.

Imani
Imani
Reply to  Nikki

My dad did my hair. Child of the 90’s here. He didn’t do it often because he still followed the old school idea that it was emasculating but when my mom couldn’t and he had to, I loved it. Hair time serves as a great bonding experience and I actually thought he did a better job than my mom! He was less heavy handed and more patient. He didn’t want to upset his “little girl.” My father doing my hair is one of the most positive memories I have of him.

Reply to  Nikki

WELL MY BLACK FATHER ALWAYS DID MY HAIR WHEN I WAS YOUNG. SO PLEASE STOP ACTING LIKE THIS PICTURE IS SOMETHING SPECIAL. HE IS A WHITE MAN WHO ADOPTED A BLACK DAUGHTER. SO HE SHOULD LEARN TO DO HER HAIR. THIS IS NORMAL.

anonymous
anonymous
Reply to  Connie1

Thank you Connie1 for keeping it REAL. That white man learned how to take care of his daughter’s hair by watching/asking WHO????? Black people. So WTH is all this standing ovation stuff coming from? This isn’t a ‘black/ white’ thing UNTIL people start bashing their own people out of nowhere and putting this white guy up on a pedestal. After that, it then becomes a ‘black/white’ issue. Self-hate is a disease and some of these comments are shining a spotlight on it.

Cia
Cia
Reply to  Connie1

I think it caused so much stir because it is super rare to see dads do hair but it is way more rare to see a white father doing his black daughter’s hair. I also love the idea that he took the time to learn how to do her hair, so many parents who have children of a different races/ethnicity (or parents of biracial children or kids with very different texture hair) never learn and their children suffer as a result so this is commendable.

Bridget
Bridget
Reply to  Connie1

I think you are going over board a bit Connie1. I don’t think the point was to put black fathers down. The point is to uplift any father for doing his daughter’s hair. As many commented above, their black father did their hair as well and this photo brings back fond memories. I would think it does the same for you. Perhaps you should take a moment and figure out why this is so upsetting to you. Wish you the best of luck.

Reply to  Nikki

STOP WITH THE IGNORANT COMMENTS ABOUT BLACK MEN. THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK FATHERS WHO DO THEIR DAUGHTERS HAIR. MY FATHER IS ONE OF THEM. GIVE IT A REST. SOME OF YOU ARE SO IN LOVE WITH WHITE PEOPLE THAT YOU CANT EVEN RECOGNIZE WHEN YOU ARE BEING DISRESPECTFUL TO YOUR OWN RACE.

tria robinson
tria robinson
Reply to  Connie1

@connie1 you are being hostile and angry and speaking in caps. What’s the reason. You seem very angry over something that personally has nothing to do with you. OMG.

Reply to  tria robinson

I AM ANGRY BECAUSE I AM BLACK AND PEOPLE ARE ON HERE DISRESPECTING BLACK MEN.

tria robinson
tria robinson
Reply to  Connie1

Scuse me @connie1 now I am offended. My mom is Yamassee Muscogee and my dad was mixed. This isn’t a racial issue. You being the typical bitter black woman always angry made it racial. People are saying nice things. Positive words. You are being the tyipical nasty black woman. It just gets old

Reply to  tria robinson

SO WHAT IS A TYPICAL BLACK WOMAN? NOW YOU ARE BEING RACIST AND IGNORANT. YOU ARE GETTING OLD. THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WHO MADE IT A RACE THING. SO READ!

Reply to  tria robinson

Excuse me? Typical angry black women, wth? It amazes me how whites, asians and mixed people can disagree with something and be judged as individuals, but when a black woman has a different opinion about something, she’s a ‘typical angry black women’. Connie has the right to her opinion just like everybody else. Just because you don’t agree with her, doesn’t mean she’s typical, black and angry. Please go spread your racist ignorant posts somewhere else.

Stevanie
Stevanie
Reply to  Eloisa

How was that racist?

Cece
Cece
Reply to  Connie1

How are the comments about these ladies PERSONAL experiences with THEIR fathers ignorant? You seem to be the one generalizing here. You don’t know what other fathers do. You can only speak to your experience and let others speak to theirs.

lindy
lindy
Reply to  Cece

@connie1= Egyptian bella.
@tria robinson=======two shouting idiots.tria when you parrot racist sexist garbage and you are(partly) included in the group being targeted with the racism and sexism, then you are an IDIOT.SO STFU!Thanks.

connie1-another idiot stanning for black dudes most of whom wouldnt spit on you and would diss you even worse but carry on with your ignorance.

Reply to  lindy

LINDY YOU ARE SO IGNORANT. WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT BLACK MEN WOULD DISS ME? BLACK MEN LOVE ME. MY BLACK FATHER LOVES ME. MY POINT IS THAT THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK FATHERS WHO DO THEIR BLACK DAUGHTERS HAIR. THAT IS NOT AN IGNORANT STATEMENT. THAT IS FACT. SO LINDY PLEASE GET A LIFE!

Nikki

I love it of course. It actually makes me think of how full of bologna men like Steve Harvey are when they say things like, “Men aren’t wired to do any of that stuff.”

Sheila Leighley
Sheila Leighley
Reply to  Nikki

Exactly!

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Nikki

I agree with you, it’s the same in Barbados, men actually think there are certain activities that are “women’s work”; although that may change — I see more young fathers taking charge of carrying their children to school and shopping for back-to-school uniforms and books than I did when I was younger — so there’s hope.

Jasminicole
Jasminicole
Reply to  Nikki

say that!

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Nikki

lol, Steve Harvey simplifies things for his own comfort, nobody is wired to do anything, we learn to do things because we are social “animals”. (“full of bologna”, that made me laugh 🙂

Mia
Mia

This is so touching. You know I dont have a father and this brings a tear to my eye. Every girl in the world, regardless of race, deserves a father like this :’-(

I hope one day am going to marry someone like him bc he’s a FATHER.

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Mia

I agree, I wish my Dad would’ve done at least that.

Reply to  Mia

OH PLEASE, STOP ACTING LIKE YOU DONT SEE BLACK FATHERS DOING THINGS LIKE THIS EVERYDAY. ALSO, WHITE FATHERS WITH THEIR WHITE DAUGHTERS. THERE ARE GOOD FATHERS EVERYWHERE NO MATTER THE RACE. I JUST SAW A PIC OF WILL SMITH DOING HIS DAUGHTERS HAIR WHEN SHE WAS FOUR. NO ONE MADE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THAT.

Jasminicole
Jasminicole
Reply to  Connie1

@Connie1, understand the relevance of this. it’s always touching to see a Father doing his daughters hair, regardless of race. I see you keep posting the same type of comment every so often… stop trying to Censor everyones opinions. The truth is, some peoples fathers (regardless of race) didn’t do their hair for them, period point blank And they are allowed to be moved by the fact that a father would so gently deal w/ his daughters hair. I am assuming your are natural, so as a natural you understand that taking care of our hair is not always an… Read more »

Naturelle a Montreal
Naturelle a Montreal
Reply to  Jasminicole

@jasminicole
Well said!

Nika
Nika
Reply to  Jasminicole

Bam!!!! Now maybe Connie will have a seat!!

Reply to  Nika

NO I WONT HAVE A SEAT! I AM ONLY RESPONDING TO THE IGNORANT COMMENTS AGAINST BLACK MEN. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, OR CAN’T COMPREHEND IT, THEN OH WELL. I WILL KEEP SPEAKING MY MIND. I LOVE BLACK MEN AND BLACK FATHERS. THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE SAYING NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT BLACK MEN, YET NONE OF YOU ARE RESPONDING TO THAT. INSTEAD YOU ARE ONLY FOCUSING ON MY POSITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT BLACK MEN.

Bridget
Bridget
Reply to  Jasminicole

+ 1

Keedy
Keedy
Reply to  Jasminicole

Very well said!

Reply to  Jasminicole

I NEVER SAID THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH WHAT THIS FATHER IS DOING. I THINK IT’S GREAT THAT HE IS DOING HIS DAUGHTERS HAIR. MY ONLY POINT IS THAT, BLACK FATHERS DO THE SAME. OF COURSE I AM NOT TRYING TO TELL SOMEONE ELSE WHAT THEIR BLACK FATHER HAS DONE, OR HASN’T DONE FOR THEM. I AM ONLY SPEAKING FROM MY EXPERIENCE. IF YOU CANNOT RESPECT MY OPINIONS AND LOVE FOR BLACK MEN THEN, SORRY FOR YOU!

Maame
Maame

I thought the picture was darling but i was moved by his comment after his picture had received so much attention. He’s just doing what a dad should do indeed! Awesome.

merry
merry

lol. he looks so serious in that photo. like he is tryin to get that part right.

but, it’s a nice photo. have any black men posted photos of themselves doing their black daughters’ natural hair?

motherof1
motherof1

This is what should happen. White people who adopt Black children, who CHOOSE to parent Black children, SHOULD learn to care for the hair PROPERLY, with proer technique and product. I see too many Black children with White parents who look a hot mess because the paents WON’T learn haircare. White women who have children with Black men need learn as well.

Jesusinthecity
Jesusinthecity
Reply to  motherof1

There are lots of black mothers and fathers out there who don’t know how to take care of their black children’s hair as well. If that weren’t the case, there would be no need for this natural hair community because we would have all learned how to care for our natural hair from childhood and many of us probably wouldn’t have been given chemical treatments to make our hair “more manageable” from a young age. I think it has more to do with education, health and interest than race. The pictures are really nice. My family is interracial and I am very… Read more »

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Jesusinthecity

Jane
Jane
Reply to  Jesusinthecity

So what are white hair communities for? I guess there are white mothers and fathers that do not know how to do their white kids hair too?

Why must everything be a condemnation of black people? Just praise/be touched by the man’s picture without finding ways to make it about how horrible black people are?

NikNak
NikNak
Reply to  Jane

Agreed. I hate how people turn this into something it doesn’t need to be, which really is a reflection of their own beliefs that they feel the need to express at any moment.

Julia P
Reply to  motherof1

Most black mothers haven’t properly learnt how to take care of their black children’s hair, yet. Who would then teach the white mothers how to properly care for the hair. They may have gotten wrong advices.

Jax
Jax
Reply to  motherof1

I see a lot of black children with black parents who look a hot mess too. Let’s not be tacky and turn this into a white parent vs black parent dialogue.

Jesusinthecity
Jesusinthecity
Reply to  Jax

I don’t know if any of the ladies were referring to my comment, but for clarity’s sake, I certainly wasn’t try to condemn black parents, or any parent or say how horrible black people are and I haven’t read anyone else say that either. The point I was trying to make was that it would be nice if all races knew how to care for their own natural hair properly, but many don’t, hence all the forums out there catering to different hair types, so if every black parent out there doesn’t know how to properly care for their own… Read more »

Tel8
Reply to  Jesusinthecity

THANK YOU!!!! You’ve pretty much said exactly what I think!

+100!

Precious
Precious

White men have sent themselves to the moon. They should know how to comb their black children’s hair! lol

Jazelle
Jazelle
Reply to  Precious

maybe so… but we still have black women that dont know how to comb their own hair.

Rhonda
Rhonda
Reply to  Jazelle

…aint that the truth!

Reply to  Jazelle

AGAIN YOU ARE MAKING THIS ABOUT BLACK VS. WHITE WHEN IT IS NOT. STOP SAYING THAT BLACK WOMEN DONT KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR HAIR BECAUSE THAT IS AN IGNORANT STATEMENT. MY MOTHER HAS GORGEOUS HAIR AND SO DO I. IT IS BECAUSE I HAD A BLACK MOTHER AND FATHER WHO KNEW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MY NATURAL HAIR. SO STOP IT YOU IDIOT!

trish
trish
Reply to  Connie1

Connie 1, your comments seriously indicate you have a racial issue??? are you angry that a white dad can take care of his black daughter’s hair?? whats up with all that nasty attitude??

Reply to  trish

DID YOU HEAR THE COMMENT ABOVE FROM JAZELLE? THAT IS WHAT I AM RESPONDING TO. WHY WON’T YOU RESPOND TO OTHER PEOPLE’S COMMENTS WHO ARE DISCREDITING BLACK WOMEN AND MEN?

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  Connie1

And your black mother and father probably taught you how to be militant too.

babyro2
babyro2

Kudos to dad! I have a Facebook friend who adopted an Ethiopian child & her brother. She posted a pic of her entire family taking out the girl’s braids. I thought that was love!

eshantee

i don’t know what the big uproar is about.it looks like he’s doing a good job.now i’d understand if he made her look like buck wheat or had a black person coming in to do her hair then that would be something to talk about.but he decided to adopt a black child, and he’s taken the steps he needs to learn about her hair and do it pretty well.i think he should be getting way more praise the bashing.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/311596_10150988267592280_866536019_n.jpg[/img]

Mia_p
Mia_p
Reply to  eshantee

I agree, it’s not surprising to see a man comb his child’s hair.

merry
merry
Reply to  Mia_p

it’s not surprising to see a man, or a father, comb his daughter’s hair?

there are lots of men who are hair stylists, and yep, they comb hair.

i’m certain that very few men, particularly black men, are actually combing their little girls’ hair.

zeesmama
zeesmama
Reply to  merry

Reply to  merry

MERRY IS BASHING BLACK MEN. THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK MEN WHO DO THEIR DAUGHTERS HAIR. JUST BECAUSE YOURS DID NOT DOESNT MEAN ALL BLACK MEN DONT. GET A GRIP!

tria robinson
tria robinson
Reply to  Connie1

@connie1 you are negative bitter and hateful. This is a positive thread. And u are rude and nasty

trish
trish
Reply to  tria robinson

Reply to  tria robinson

OK TRIA ROBINSON, JUST IGNORE WHAT MERRY SAID. PEOPLE CAN SAY NEGATIVE THINGS ALL DAY ABOUT BLACKS BUT I CANNOT STAND UP AGAINST THAT. RIGHT?

Reply to  Connie1

I DIDN’T SAY ANYTHING WAS WRONG WITH WHAT THIS FATHER IN THE PIC WAS DOING. I THINK ITS GREAT. WHAT I DONT LIKE IS COMMENTS THAT I SEE ON HERE THAT SAY “VERY FEW BLACK MEN ARE COMBING THEIR DAUGHTERS HAIR.” OR COMMENTS LIKE “MY BLACK FATHER NEVER DID MY HAIR. BLACK WOMEN AND MEN DON’T KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR KIDS HAIR.” THESE ARE THE COMMENTS THAT ARE PISSING ME OFF. I CAN POINT OUT EXACTLY WHO IS SAYING THOSE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT BLACKS. I WILL POINT THEM OUT, THEN I WANT ALL OF YOU WHO ARE… Read more »

Venus
Venus
Reply to  eshantee

Who was basking him though? I’ve only seen positive comments so far

Venus
Venus
Reply to  Venus

*bashing

Jazelle
Jazelle

I guess for me this is how i grew up. Both of my parents worked. My mom wasn’t always home on weekends to comb our hair so my dad would do it. Still to this day if i need help with my hair he’s there for me. He even helped me put in some tracks when i was 18. Gotta love Dads that do it all.

hassan
hassan
Reply to  Jazelle

Similar story, my mom worked nights and many weekends so my dad tried to do me and my 2 little sisters hair and I had a enough hair for 3 people alone! Even when i bc’d at 22, my dad took a brush and showed which directions to brush my hair! THANKS DAD!!

Bri
Bri

I think its a wonderful thing my dad did the samething when I was little to help my mom out which I think is SUPER sweet and no its glamorous taking down braids, unless its a braidout lol.
Follow me on Twitter and instagram: BriRose26 and check out the blog: Bri Rose please stay curly.

Much love,
Bri

Tracey
Tracey

I think it’s FANTASTIC when a father, no matter what his race takes the time to learn how to care for his daughter’s hair. That in itself is exciting.

Lynda thomas

These pictures made me say thank god they are taking care of the childrens hair I don’t know how many times I have interracial children with their hair looking horrible not combed it shows pride in your children and your family that you take the time to learn what to do

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Lynda thomas

I don’t know ho many times I have seen Black children where both parents are Black have horrible looking hair. There are many in the Black community that don’t know how to style their children’s hair properly hence our reliance on salons and stylist. I think for any parent it takes time, patience and a willingness to learn. Clearly this father is willing to do this. There are number of Black parents that I know who should take note of what he is doing because their children’s hair looks unhealthy and busted.

Reply to  Nikki

WHY DO BLACK PARENT’S HAVE TO TAKE NOTE OF WHAT THIS WHITE MAN IS DOING? WHY WOULDN’T THEY JUST LOOK AT ANOTHER BLACK MAN WHO IS DOING A GREAT JOB WITH HIS CHILD’S HAIR? COME ON PEOPLE STOP IT. THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK MEN WHO ARE GREAT FATHERS AND WHO DO THEIR KIDS HAIR.

Tati
Tati
Reply to  Connie1

Connie, go take a Xanax and a nap before you have an aneurysm. Please.

Reply to  Tati

IM OK TATI, BUT I JUST LOVE MY BLACK RACE. I WILL STAND UP FOR IT ANYTIME AND EVERYTIME. UNTIL PEOPLE GET IT THROUGH THEIR THICK HEADS THAT BLACK MEN, WOMEN, MOTHERS AND FATHERS, TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR CHILDRENS HAIR JUST LIKE THIS WHITE MAN IS DOING.

Lin
Lin

>COME ON PEOPLE STOP IT

Take your own advice. Get away from the computer for a bit. You are clearly too worked up over something so small.

JulesB
JulesB

Nice

Iiona
Iiona

How adorable, I’m pretty sure my husband would not want to do it but if I asked he would do it. He has done it before (taken the braids out and washed the hair) but didn’t do anything to it after that and the next morning of trying to do their hair was a HOT MESS… He was almost banned from doing her hair, LOL!

Curly Queen

My dad used to do my hair and was actually pretty good at it. Touching.

AfroKisses
AfroKisses

Aw makes me think of my dad doing my hair when I was little. I wish I could cornrow like my dad used to. He had plenty of practice before I was born because he was expected to help with his sisters when he was growing up. My mom was just a little gentler though!

moedancin
moedancin

I think its nice. But, I know plenty of black fathers that comb their daughters hair. Including my own father. I see more single fathers now that do their child’s hair. I don’t know, maybe it depends where you grow up because this is not abnormal for me to see. Whether the father is black or white.

Jane
Jane
Reply to  moedancin

Same here. I have seen this scene before, but don’t try to convince the ‘black is whack’ brigade.

Natalee
Natalee
Reply to  Jane

‘Black is whack’ brigade”-I had to laugh! I can’t stand when people have negative experience and blame it on an entire race, especially their own! “My daddy was black and wouldn’t touch my hair with a ten foot pole” and “My mama gave me a relaxer”-I can’t take it. My father, a proud black man, took exceptional care of his daughters and I hate reading comments about how black people neglect their kids because it’s not true. Just because you had a bad experience doesn’t make it true for all of us.

binks
binks
Reply to  Natalee

Thank you…some of these comments are dad. My dad was a navy man and did my hair plenty of times as a child. So…though the photo is cute it really isn’t that shocking

binks
binks
Reply to  binks

Oops sad

Deborah

I think it’s unusual, but very cute and great that he likes it and loves his daughters. When that is said, I don’t think you have to do this in order to be a good dad. To take and interest and let your child know they’re loved is the main thing not who does what in my view. In my day as a child (born 1962) it would have been unthinkable, but times change in many ways all the time. But I don’t feel being less loved or anything because my dad didn’t do my hair (I’m also colored and adopted… Read more »

GeeGee
GeeGee

This was a beautiful picture. It brought tears into my eyes. People with the negative comments, need to find a negative site to blog on. It time for us to accept and get out of this racist mode! I congradulate this father for taking the time to do his daughter hair! Kudos!

treece12
treece12

My dad did my hair maybe once, but he preferred to clean my shoes and pack my schoolbag. I think my bf would comb his daughter’s hair if he had one, he’s always in my hair

anonymous
anonymous

SMH @ the hoopla. We should stop worshiping everything white people say and do…it’s bad for our spiritual health. He doesn’t deserve any pats on the back for doing something he SUPPOSED to do, if he chose to adopt that child. If we insist on commending “fathers” — I’d like to see this much support and applause for black fathers who do the same without any commendations or recognition from black women (as a whole). I guess he got the reaction and fulfillment he was looking for by posting this picture. Let us not go overboard with this as if… Read more »

Candice
Candice
Reply to  anonymous

I don’t know if he’s doing what he is SUPPOSED to be doing? How many of our BLACK parents gave us a perm because it was easier to manage? Damage be damned. My mother definitely did. I respect any parent who puts in the extra effort to keep their child’s hair natural. And I do think fathers deserve extra props because they especially had to learn how to do a black woman’s hair. A white man who is succeeding with his daughter’s hair in its original texture should definitely get a shout out. Her hair is pretty long; he’s doing… Read more »

Alicia
Alicia
Reply to  anonymous

I think if the picture was a black man doing his daughters hair there would be th same response. Whether he’s latino, asian or irish people are always moved when a man takes time out from being the stereotypical dad to do “womens work”. I’m black and I lost my father at a very young age and two of my fondest memories are of him styling my hair as a child and teaching me to bake. These things are touching because they take extra effort. It has nothing to do with “white worship”. Trust i would be hopping on that… Read more »

Jane
Jane
Reply to  Alicia

We both know if it were a black man, he would not get the same response even if he should. Black men do this everyday.

oldowan
oldowan
Reply to  Jane

To be fair, most of the “hoopla” is coming from Black people. Hardly any of the comments are from White people congratulating him. I think that says a lot.

anonymous
anonymous
Reply to  oldowan

I agree, it all boils down unaddressed self-hatred issues and the WHITE Messiah complex. So sad.

LaTanya Hollis Watson
LaTanya Hollis Watson

I love this photo! I’m a 44 year old Black woman. My Black father raised me as a single father since I was 3 or 4 years old. And he was responsible for my hair at a young age. He didn’t always do the greatest job (see attached, me on the right, 1973…lol!), but he did get better. And to this day, I never, ever doubt that he’s there for me.

Ivy
Ivy

I honestly think that this is beautiful. Many black fathers don’t even touch their daughter’s hair so to see this is amazing. Like he said, he is doing what a father SHOULD be doing. Thanks for sharing this!

Reply to  Ivy

IVY HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT MANY BLACK FATHERS DONT TOUCH THEIR DAUGHTERS HAIR? HAVE YOU TAKEN A POLL? ARE YOU STEREOTYPING? OR ARE YOU JUST PLAIN IGNORANT? MY FATHER DID MY HAIR GROWING UP. I SEE MANY BLACK PEOPLE ON THIS SITE SAYING THAT THEIR BLACK FATHER DID THEIR HAIR, SO WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR STUPID IGNORANT OPINION FROM? ARE YOU EVEN READING WHAT SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING. BLACK MEN DO THEIR DAUGHTERS HAIR ALL THE TIME. ITS NOTHING NEW!

Bridget
Bridget
Reply to  Connie1

Are you going to attack everyone for giving their point of view on this site that is different from yours? Seriously???

Reply to  Bridget

YES BRIDGET. I AM GOING TO ATTACK EVERYONE WHO GIVES IGNORANT OPINIONS ABOUT BLACK MEN. YES, I WILL DO IT FOREVER. IF YOU WANT ME TO STOP THEN TELL THEM TO STOP WITH THE NEGATIVE REMARKS ABOUT BLACK MEN NOT DOING THEIR DAUGHTER’S HAIR.

Ivy
Ivy
Reply to  Connie1

Calm down Connie.. It’s never that serious for all caps. Lol. But I’m saying this off of the men in my family.. My mother has 5 brothers and my father has 4. NONE of them touch their daughters hair, including mine. And I know for a fact among many of my female friends only one of their fathers has done their hair when she was younger. So that was what I was basing my comment on… No stereotyping. Simply based off of personal experience. And don’t EVER question my intelligence, my opinion, or anything that I state. You do not… Read more »

Candice
Candice

My husband is white. We’re planning on having children soon and he has taken a very sincere interest in learning about my hair so that he can help with our children’s hair…because they will be OUR children. I think if my husband didn’t want to learn, I wouldn’t have married him. LOL! I think it’s great to see white parents educating themselves and taking the time to learn how to do natural hair. It would be so easy for them to slap a perm on their children’s hair and make them conform to what THEY know, which is straight hair.… Read more »

kylesian
kylesian

My dad has combed my hair twice in my life. once when i was 6 and again at 10. I hated the styles he gave me but i loved the fact that he tried. I have an amazing dad and this picture brought back those memories. it warms my heart and reminds me never to take a moment with him for granted. thank you for posting it. I pray i marry someone who will love and care for me and my son just like my dad always has.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ipod1502.JPG[/img]

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  kylesian

Is that your dad in the photo? He could pass as your boyfriend.

Denise
Denise
Reply to  kylesian

I was thinking the same thing! You two look like you’re the same age!

Cheryl Denice
Cheryl Denice
Reply to  kylesian

NICE!

angy
angy

i love it and commend him. I have a puerto rican daughter and took me forever to learn to do her hair properly, and I am AF. Good on Dad.

Natalee
Natalee

Reading these comments makes me realize how fortunate I was as a child to have a father like the one I have. My dad (who is black, if it matters) always made sure his daughters looked presentable from head to toe, even if that meant him brush our hair into a ponytail.

Sharon
Sharon

That’s a cute photo. Clogged my throat a bit. I hope to every god listening that i get a hubby who is secure in his masculinity to do ”women’s work” without being emasculated and who will love our daughters so much he wont mind being emasculated for them.

Vonnie
Vonnie

Very loving.

Cynthia

Love it!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ImBlueDiamond.jpg[/img]

Wgreen
Wgreen

Very nice and comforting picture. My dad combed my sisters (three girls) hair when my mom was in the hospital with baby. It was cool because he (dad) was a neat freak. My brother did our hair once too it was a fialure and we had to to school with it. Very good memories though.

Eloisa

I see nothing touching about this picture. Why are people patting this guy on the back for something he’s SUPPOSED to do? Let me guess, it’s because he’s white right? We all know it had been a black father the responses would be totally different. Y’all are so pathetic I swear. And people kill me with this ‑it brought tears to my eyes- bogus. Seriously get a grip. And FYI, both my black mother AND father did my hair. Please stop acting like it’s rare to see black fathers do their children’s hair.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  Eloisa

Shrug. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, so keep it moving. No one cares if you don’t agree with their comment.

Eloisa

Well you cared enough to respond didn’t you?

April

Good for him. I think we’ve all seen black children who have been adopted by white parents and those kids look a hot mess from the scalp out. So this is a good, scratch that, a great thing. As a black little girl, whose father was in the house, if my mother wasn’t home, he had to take me to my grandmother’s or aunt’s house to do my hair. Dude could not do it. There could be a few reasons for that. I grew up in the 70’s. Maybe 70’s Dad’s didn’t do those things. Maybe fathers today are more evolved… Read more »

hyspin
hyspin

Is it me, why hasn’t BGLH not BANNED this Connie1 poster or least remove her trolling posts. Every time post a compliment about a father putting the effort when they didn’t get the chance as a child she jumps in with insulting them about topic they spoke nothing about.

BGLH please remove these toxic posts. They help no one and no one should be yelled at (write on all caps)

caribbeancurl
caribbeancurl

the point of teh author, IMO, is not that he is a white father and he is combing his daughter’s hair. On the large scale nothing fantastic about that. THE POINT REALLY IS the fact that he seems to have taken the time to learn the intricasies of handling “black” hair. There is no one on this site who would dispute the fact that they will not take their type 4 self and park it in a salon with a white hairdresser who has no experience with her hair type. That hairdresser would pick up a fine tooth comb, would want… Read more »

hhjourney
Reply to  caribbeancurl

Imaka
Imaka
Reply to  caribbeancurl

Cee Mac

How cute to see a father doing his daughter’s hair! 🙂

hhjourney

I just think it’s sad that some people get their panties in a bunch over a picture and make it a racial issue. That’s just utterly stupid. Do people detest this man that much that they must make “Pshhh, that ain’t nothin’ ” comments? There are bigger issues in the world to argue about besides a white man doing a black girl’s hair. Some people.…geez. Smh. Some folk just go too far and don’t know how to be nice. Words full of venom.

Michelle L.

Oh wow, I like! I find it inspiring that more men this century are taking care of their daughters’ hair and being proactive about it.

whylie2010
whylie2010

Love this! Any time I see a father attempting to do ANYthing with a daughter’s hair, I am touched — regardless of race. When I was a kid, I would often ask my father (a Black man) to do my hair even though I knew he had no idea what he was doing. He would do his best — leaving my hair jacked up until my mom could fix the situation. LOL But I was just happy he tried!

Toya
Toya

Its amaaing the amount of negativity this post has attracted. The whole porpose of this site is to celebratethe dopeness of black hair, which this father is doing by learning to take care of his black daughters hair. No one is praising him as the white Messiah, as I have read in some of the earlier comments. And just because someone said that their Black father didn’t comb their hair as a child dosen’t mean that they are bashinh black men, they are just commenting on their experience. My father didn’tmy hair…it just means he wasn’t responsible for doing my… Read more »

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

So let’s get a post with a Black father doing his daughter’s hair to satisfy the race warriors among us. Then we’ll be even.

Sunny

Thanks for sharing this story because it is something that needs to be done to make people aware that there are interracial families today, so parents are doing the best they can in those situations. The TV reporter should be commended for his efforts and people need to show support to all the mixed-race families because we are ALL one big family the human race.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/diversity-hands-Flickr-thelampnyc.jpg[/img]

Reply to  Sunny

Lol, sure keep on believing that utopia.

AdriannaB
AdriannaB

I remember when my dad was on his death bed and his friends use to do my hair to make me look presentable to him while at the hospital but usually it gave him a nice laugh bc my ponytails were going every which way. I did my say “aww” bc he’s a white father touching his black daughters hair but merely for the fact that he had guts to play in her hair, black or white. I went to hair school with men and we always laughed at the really manly guys gripping rollers with their big hands or… Read more »

Jazz

Thank you ALL DADS for doing what Dads are suppose to do– protect and care for their children! Thanks for also showing that dads aren’t just sperm donors with our societal permission to make babies and leave!

A footnote for those loser sperm donors (warning– this is the opposite of TRUE manhood http://yoy50.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/a‑powerful-message-for-the-absentee-fathers-you-should-really-be-ashamed/)

Thanks for posting this BGLH! Nice job as usual!

Love, peace and soul (TRAIN)! 🙂

DeAnna Troupe

Well my dad was perfectly willing to do our hair, but we refused. We didn’t like the outcome when he did it. LOL We appreciated the effort, though. I still think this is an adorable picture. I agree that he SHOULD be doing this and don’t see what the big deal is.

Toya
Toya

I think the photo is great. The fact is some dads will take on the task ofdoing their daughters hair and some don’t no matter what race. I love the fact that he was using a rattail comb!!! At leasthe has the right tools…GO FRANK!!!

Bridget
Bridget

I knew before I even opened this article that there were going to be negative comments/backlash- and I was right. SMH

Christa
Christa

I love it!!!!!

Tisha
Tisha

Pictures of daddies taking care of their little girls are always sweet n’ beautiful. This picture put a smile on my hair (after my confusion went away) and I moved on with my day. Sometimes, a daddy is just a daddy — even when he’s white (and his daughter’s black).

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  Tisha

I think this is beautiful.
Why does society need to slam something so refreshing?

I wish my Daddy combed my hair.

Randomosity
Randomosity
Reply to  Kelly

I think it’s beautiful too, but I’m happy my Daddy didn’t comb my hair. LOL He did it one time, and I was looking like LL Cool J’s daughter from that Coke commercial. I had to tell him, thanks but no thanks!

Reply to  Kelly

I THINK IT IS REFRESHING BUT WHAT WOULD BE MORE REFRESHING FOR ME, IS TO SEE BLACK PEOPLE MAKING POSITIVE COMMENTS LIKE THIS ABOUT BLACK FATHERS. INSTEAD, YOU SEE A LOT OF NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT BLACK MEN NOT DOING THEIR DAUGHTER’S HAIR. IT WOULD BE REFRESHING TO POST IMAGES OF BLACK MEN TAKING CARE OF THEIR DAUGHTERS EVERYDAY, BECAUSE THAT IS THE TRUTH. THAT IS WHAT OUR SOCIETY NEEDS TO SEE. IN THE MEDIA, THEY CHOOSE NOT TO SHOW THIS POSITIVE SIDE OF BLACK MEN. INSTEAD, THEY SHOW US PICTURES LIKE THIS, SO WE CAN FEEL SO HAPPY ABOUT A… Read more »

J
J
Reply to  Connie1

I agree. As black people we should acknowledge the black men that do. My father do it all the time and is the most hardworking man there is. I see many unappreciated black men all the time, I guess what? I always make sure to show them love by making compliments, especially when they are hardworking, and I see more black men taking care of things and being more than what is expected of them. I believe that we are used to seeing it, so we think that everybody (especially black men)are doing it. I see black all over everywhere,… Read more »

Lex
Lex

It is truly amazing to see the negative comments that have been posted. This is a beautiful picture and a beautiful moment of a man taking care of his daughter. For some people the picture conjures up a desire to have shared this type of moment with their own fathers and they should be able to state that without judgment or censure. These photos also shine a light on the fact that our world has changed and is continuing to change. People used to and some people still do question interracial families and interracial adoption because of the supposition that… Read more »

Amy
Amy
Reply to  Lex

@Lex Beautifully stated!

nikki
nikki
Reply to  Lex

very true! and if you wanna get technicaly, everybody is black. its been scientifically proven.

chichi
chichi

Hey I watch Frank on the news all the time in the bay. Maybe he will do my hair when I don’t feel like it. LOL.

chichi
chichi

And how weird is it that after finding out who he was i read his comment in his voice. Too much. Haha

Margaret

I think that pictures shows much more than a daddy combing his daughter’s hair. It’s a picture of a man who will do anything for his little girl. It’s a picture of a dad who puts everything into his little girl. And it’s a picture of a dad who is willing to do what it takes to know his little girl. Love it!

PamelaNicole66
PamelaNicole66

Beautiful.….…

Beth
Beth

Actually, I didn’t see this as racial at all, until the comments about race started. You know what I saw when I looked at the picture? A wonderful man taking care of a child who would have been otherwise unwanted. I saw a man taking care of his ADOPTED child. I saw a man showing love and attention to a child that might not have had the chance to have a family. There are so many children out there, who for whatever reason do not have a family. This picture showed me a little girl who is loved and protected,… Read more »

Sharon
Sharon

I have even more respect for Frank Somerville than I did previously. He’s our local anchor in the Oakland/Bay Area. Great to see a father take care of his daughter, regardless of how it “came to be”. Bravo Mr Somerville!

EAT.STYLE.PLAY

it’s a beautiful picture!!! i’ll never get the time i saw a white dad with his adoted daughter in the beauty supply , helped him pick out things for her hair, the cutest thing ever!

Dontilisha
Dontilisha

I think it’s a beautiful thing. People need to embrace this rather than be negative.

Monzi
Monzi

This is lovely. I hope we will see more of this in the near future

BluJay

As someone who was fatherless for the greater majority of my life, I truly love seeing examples of loving dads that are willing to take care of their kids in even the simplest ways, down to doing their daughter’s hair, race notwithstanding. Bravo, sir!

Barbara Horne

I think it is sweet. But sad that people are negative about it and sad that they are shocked. I have a Black father who did my Black hair on a few occasions when my mother had to be at work early; apparently before it was popular or acceptable (at least according to the comments I read). I did not think much of it, because that’s my dad and he wanted to make sure I went to school “looking put together” as he would say.

Stevanie
Stevanie
Reply to  Barbara Horne

My father would do the same thing. I always proud to tell others that the pretty plaits in my head were done by my dad.

totrue
totrue

That’s love right there. Why people are shocked is beyond me. When’s the last time you saw a black father taking time to learn to do there daughters hair? Hopefully those black fathers will be encouraged to do the same.

moedancin
moedancin
Reply to  totrue

I think its great to show MEN that doing their daughter’s hair is a form of love as well. I’ve seen lots of Black fathers comb their daughter’s hair including my own father. I guess it depends on your environment and what you where you were raised. This is not uncommon in the community I was raised in. I think this picture is good for FATHERS to see regardless of race.

Reply to  totrue

SEE THESE ARE THE COMMENTS THAT I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH. NO ONE WANTS ME TO SPEAK MY MIND ABOUT NEGATIVE COMMENTS TOWARDS BLACK MEN, YET PEOPLE LIKE TOTRUE CAN SAY WHATEVER THEY WANT. ITS UNFAIR. I LOVE BLACK MEN AND I THINK IT IS GREAT TO SEE THIS FATHER DO HIS DAUGHTERS HAIR. I ALSO THINK ITS GREAT THAT MANY BLACK MEN DO THIER DAUGHTERS HAIR AS WELL. NO STEREOTYPES ATTACHED!

Suzanne
Suzanne
Reply to  totrue

Hmm… now why would a random black father post or advertise that they do their daughter’s hair. My father did my hair and my sister’s (not that we were pleased with that) and he loved it. My brother does his daughter’s hair just about everyday and my husband (black latino) will not hesitate to do my daughter’s hair (his step-daughter). Black men…men in general who play active roles in their children’s lives have nothing to prove to any body. It’s like air… just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Karissa

This picture is now my desktop background on my laptop. I love everything about this.

AC
AC

Wow that angry person just blew everything out of proportion while making Black women look bad in my opinion BUT ANYWAYS.…Before I got to those comments I thought this was SOOOO beautiful, I won’t sugar coat, heck no my dad didn’t do my hair ..he wasn’t even around to do that. My mom didn’t know how to take care of my hair either so it was a lose lose but if my dad would’ve tried I can only imagine how great it would’ve made me felt 🙂

Sharon_P
Sharon_P

I love seeing men with their kids, especially when they are taking care of them, whether it be grooming or just doing normal everday things. To me this shows the sign of a good father. My parents have been together 52 years and I still have memories of my dad looking after us and even attempting to take care of mine and my sisters’ hair which usually meant just combing it and greasing it. He could not do braids/cornrows to say his life! As for a white man combing a black childs hair, I think it is beautiful and shouldn’t draw… Read more »

kimberly
kimberly

I wish more fathers did this…it’s a memory she will always have.

marlon jones
marlon jones

Wow- it brought tears to my eyes for two simple reasons:
1: it is always beautiful to see the love displayed between father and daughter ( really touches my heart)
and 2; It shows that love really hav no barriers- just a little room to grow and flourish until it becomes so powerful it it cuts down the tallest of trees (so to speak) lol!!

Love it- God is so great — he actually showed us how simple it is to love one another!! It really creates a hopeful picture ppl- there’s still hope for this world!!

Likewaterforchocolate
Likewaterforchocolate

This makes me think of that LL Cool J TV commercial with his daughter and his attempt at styling her hair and when he was done she stated something to the effect of “It doesn’t look like that when mommy does it.” I thought is was a cute commercial. Anyone remember that one?

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

OMG! Thanks for bringing up that commercial ! I’d forgotten all about it & it was a fave of mine.Haven’t seen it for years. What product was it for?

Dontilisha
Dontilisha
Reply to  NubianPrize

It was a coca cola commercial back in ’98…you can see it on youtube:) Too cute!

Mizkymee
Mizkymee

This picture is absolutely beautiful! I love the look of concentration. The love between father and daughter is evident and such a blessing. I agree “Change happens one person at a time.” Kudos Mr. Somerville for sharing your picture!

Korin McGraw
Korin McGraw

I love it!

Aisa @4usnaturals

How cute. As a girl who didn’t have her father around at all to do anything for me let alone my hair I can commend him on his attempt. It is indeed a sweet moment shared between a father and little girl. Bravo to him. My bf is willing with his girls and boys but I gotta get his skills up. Lol.

Cheryl Denice
Cheryl Denice

I don’t understand. What’s wrong with him combing her hair? I wished my dad did my hair…rotfl! I know a brother in the church who washes, brushes, combs, and conditions his wife’s hair! He’s not a barber either.

bobbye
bobbye

I thought this was a sweet photo. I don’t see anything racist at all…just a dad taking care of his little girl!

Esperanza
Esperanza

Love has no color …

pamgrier
pamgrier

i live in the Bay Area, and we love Frank Sommerville, as he’s a great news reporter, and this beautiful photo just melted me last week! i even commented that now that he knows how to take down braids I’ll be over in about 6 weeks for help taking down mine! seeing a dad doing hair is always sweet..#bayareapride

Marie Decuir-Jackson
Marie Decuir-Jackson

I feel sorry for the little girl when I look at the comb he was using to comb her hair( a fine-toothed rat tail comb. Somebody please tell Mr. Sommerville the kind of comb to use on black hair. (ouch)

Jalee
Jalee

He might be using only the tail to undo the braids.

Cee Cee
Cee Cee

Great photo! I love seeing parents and their children. My older brother used to do my niece’s hair ALL the time. If people are complaining about not seeing enough great Black fathers then we should all snap photos of our families doing what families do. I really don’t have a problem with adoption as long as the children are loved and nurtured. There are too many kids without good homes and this is awesome to see such a caring father. P.S. It doesn’t look like he’s coming through her hair but using the rattail to part like most of us… Read more »

Kate Strand
Kate Strand

Funny. My white dad never did my white hair. He was still a great dad. I think those who are being critical about people’s dads not doing hair might be missing the generational divide. My husband does my daughter’s hair all the time, but neither one of our fathers would have even had a clue.

AJ
AJ

My dad always wanted to help my mom do my sister and my hair (sometimes he was helpful, sometimes not as much 🙂 ) but that’s all I saw in the picture. Daddies taking care of their baby girls. Puts a smile on my face.

Natalie
Natalie

Why is it when a father does what a mother traditionally does it is big news, great that he is taking his responsibilities to his daughter seriously but really what is the big deal?

It’s like when Bo Derek had her hair in cornrows all of a sudden it was like wow but cornrows have been worn by black women for centuries and nobody made a big deal out of it.

Double standards again.

Chika.anene
Reply to  Natalie

Hmm.. I don’t understand why this comment received so many negative votes. But, in essence, I can see the point of the article, as well as how I also kind of see where you’re coming from. I don’t think the person who commented was trying to be negative in any way. The reason it’s news, I think, is because it’s a bit out of the ordinary to many. A lot of people have not experienced a man, let alone a white man, take care of a little black girl’s hair. While I was studying for my Master’s at Uni, I learned… Read more »

Alice
Alice
Reply to  Natalie

Each time my father combed and braided my hair was a big deal it hurt my head but mom was sick. that was in the 1950’s we were colored at the time.” Historical perspective” my hair was tight and unruly. A dad or any man in his child’s life is a big deal today and always, now I am African American. Love does not change, people do.

Kasey

I know Mr. Sommerville, and I live in Oakland, CA where he with or without a black child would need to be open and diverse. He’s a great guy, and this picture just personifies it. What’s also amazing and what you can’t see in this picture is how he make sure that his daughter has role models around that look just like her.

Kandace
Kandace

As a pre-school teacher I am privy to many scenes in the course of a day but this picture reminds of an incident that happened two years ago that involved a very similar scenario, a white father dropping off and his biracial child picking out her fro before he left. It touched me for two reasons: one it is rare to see INVOLVED fathers period! two He just pulled the pick out and started picking no tears, no fuss on her part which meant he wasn’t rough. I enjoy seeing any child bonding with a male influence because I see… Read more »

ABlackMotherSpeaks
ABlackMotherSpeaks

Totally agree with that! There are & have been plenty of black father’s combing hair since slavery & before on the Africa Continent before a Caucasian touched a sister’s hair. This is the same old stereotype of news that belittles’ black men and it is a well package advertisement that Caucasians have been doing for years to showcase their superiority over the parenting skills of black people! Sister’s fall for this “white washed” advertisement every time I use to be one of them back in the day. The subtle message “We (Caucasians) can better parent then black ppl! Let us… Read more »

MBB
MBB

So eloquently stated!! I completely agree. I wish more black women who read this blog would have more knowledge of history and love of self to recognize racial undertones and implications. But that is not so. I’ve noticed that most comments are from those who take the view that the past is the past and has no relevance to what is going on today.

Brizzle
Brizzle
Reply to  MBB

what cynical human beings you are. Looking for racial undertones when there is none. How anyone could look at that photo and think this man is truly trying to make black men look “bad” is pure foolishness. Don’t make things deeper than they have to be. It’s a beautiful thing that this man feels lucky to have a diverse family. The fact that he’s trying and making an effort to learn to style his daughters coily kinky hair is touching as I’m sure it is something completely foreign to him. Most (caucasian or non-black) people see our hair and feel as… Read more »

Norraine
Norraine
Reply to  Brizzle

This picture is in fact beautiful. A picture of ANY man combing his daughter’s hair would be beautiful as it is a gesture not commonly done by men. However, realistically, A black man would not receive praise for doing this act. THIS is not breaking news and does NOT deserve this much attention. That is why there may be the question of if there’s a racial undertone. Some things are more calculated than we think.

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  Norraine

It’s news because the man is a TV personality. Get over your complexes people, not everything is about you.

cw
cw

Wow, you might be racist if you think he posted this picture to show how much of a better parent he is than a parent of a different ethnicity. It sounds like you are looking for a reason to justify your hate for whites.

NappyBunny
NappyBunny

We can’t heal the wounds if we don’t stop picking them. At least he and people like him are willing to TRY.

A native English speaker/writer
A native English speaker/writer

Thank you and punctuation.

Miz
Miz

Way to over-think it. I see where you are coming from, but really, grasping for ways playing the continued victim is really unbecoming.

Heliconia4
Heliconia4

People will judge for themselves based on their reality — I’m black — my mom did not like to comb my hair — my dad never came near to it — he was an advocate for straightening or jeri? curls.

Jamila
Jamila

Sooo…just a few questions? If he didn’t adopt her, would you? Have you tried? Are you an adoptive parent? Since all this talking does nothing to help children who need a family. She had to get her hair combed, right? Frankly, because I am not going to post a racially charged post doesn’t mean that I forgotten one damn thing about MY history. Be clear, I know the facts. Here is what I also know, that every child needs a familial to provide food, clothing, adequate education, love and care. I also know I am not looking to adopt at this… Read more »

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

I totally disagree. It’s just a photo of a white man doing his black daughter’s hair. I don’t see any of that putting down of black men, or massa’s superiority , or any thing that relates to slavery,etc in that photo. Some black men who are single dads or want to help their wives out will comb their girls’ hair. I think my dad tried combing mine maybe once & it wasn’t good. I had a mane of long, fine very thick hair & mom was much better at it. So what if he didn’t do it. My hair still… Read more »

Kendra
Kendra

The pictures shown in your response were of our people but they had no choice but to do what their masters told them to do. Do you think that the slave nursing another woman’s baby really wanted to? What about the lady taking care of the little girl. She had to do that to put food of her own famliy’s table. I’m sure that she would rather do any number of things besides that. This man was only showing how the time he has with his family is spent. Nothing more. Nothing less.

caribbeancurl
caribbeancurl

Eeerrrrr, the issue here is not REALLY that he is white or black or hispanic or whatever. The point is that taking care of someone whose needs are “foreign” to yours is not something that may be easy to do. I explain. Let’s say he also has a natural born “white” daughter. The needs of her hair will be quite different to this cute one pictured in the post. The fact that this father seems willing to learnt about the ramifications of PROPERLY CARING for tyoe 4 hair speaks volumes. He now knows that the fine tooth comb he has… Read more »

Brandy
Brandy

That is my Local Reporter Frank Somerville.…He is a very proud father …we see him often at the grocery store with his daughters…Love it

lashun
lashun

love to see a man that comb his daughters hair love it

Mercedes
Mercedes

This is awesome!!! You know how much PATIENCE, time, work and dedication it takes for natural women to do their own hair… Just IMAGINE this father’s frustrations and joys from dealing with hair unlike his own! Im sure it took him a long while to even learn how to manage and conquer his daughter’s hair!!! Thumbs up, dad! This isnt about race nor history. Its about love and dedication and SELFLESSNESS! Stop being so, judgemental and spiteful, black people! (and yes, for the record, Im a black, natural woman!!)

Angel
Angel

Umm, wow. I don’t dispute that there is a long and painful history that everyone should be aware of, but how can you find evil in something that totally isn’t? My daughters both have natural hair, and my husband will do it if necessary, but it’s not his favorite thing to do. That this man is willing to take on a task like that and think nothing other than that it is something a father should do it admirable. I don’t think he is saying he is a better parent than a black man, only that all fathers, regardless of… Read more »

lisa
lisa

aLove It the fact that A MAN is doing his daughters hair is precious and refreshing. A white man doing his afro childs hair is that much more special love it your guys rock !

Heaven
Heaven

I can remember a time my dad tried to comb my sister’s and my hair. OMG it was a mess. Mom walked in the door just in time. My sissy, who was definitely a daddy’s girl, was pissed that my mom changed her hair. Me? I wanted my hair “did” right. This pic reminds me of the love my dad had for us and how my sister adored him so so so much. That day she wanted to wear the style he gave her. RIP Eldridge Dickey you will always be remembered.

anita
anita

It is so precious, not only for this dad but for any dad to comb their daughter’s hair.….just precious.

gigi
gigi

so adorable — whenever my dad did mine, it never had quite the ‘finish’ mom would put on it 😉 but I think I loved it even more. Hope Mr. Somerville has some wide-toothed combs in the stash tho lol [and maybe a tangle teaser]

Bride91501
Bride91501

When our youngest daughter was little, my hubby was responsible for washing, conditioning and detangling her hair. This became part of their Saturday night weekly routine, and they both looked forward to their special time together. One Saturday night, I had some friends over and they were so amazed that my husband “took the time” to learn how to care for our daughter’s hair. In our family, it was completely normal, and was just one of the things that made our home run more efficiently. I look forward to the day when, regardless of race, more men are involved in… Read more »

D.H.
D.H.
Rach
Rach

Real men do what they gotta do! You go daddies, those little girls are precious!

Sarah
Sarah

Seriously, I feel your pain. Removing braids (they look like box braids) takes a long time. That is why I rarely do my daughters’ her hair in that style.

chalise
chalise

i’m thinking that that blue comb had better be wide-tooth, because that little girl’s ends are lookin mighty sketchy!

Jamila
Jamila

Jessie
Jessie

I’m African American and I see others seeing racism in this. The man just posted the picture of himself doing his daughters hair. If there is racism, it’s not on his part. That newspapers and blogs picked it up, isn’t his doing. As for making black men ‘look’ bad, they can only do that to themselves. Your feelings are your own and if you CHOOSE to feel bad or think you look bad, then you should ask yourself why. Many of you are just overly sensitive. Sometimes it’s good to take things at face value. By the way, most black… Read more »

D'Mari
D'Mari
Reply to  Jessie

I agree with you on biracial children and that tangly coily hair. I don’t understand why white mom’s especially don’t go to the black husband’s family to get advice on moisturizing and training the hair of the child or go to an ethnic hair supply store. It annoys me that these kids hair look so unkempt. It’s a simple solution. And the little boys hair could be kept cut instead of growing as long as a girl’s.

Angel
Angel
Reply to  D'Mari

Biracial hair isn’t the same as black OR white hair. My mother-in-law doesn’t know how to do her own hair, and would have just said to put in a relaxer. Everyone else just recommended grease or oil. All of which was awful for her hair. It’s only recently that products and advice for biracial hair has been available. I learned by trial and error. Don’t be so quick to judge. And there is nothing unkempt about natural curls. Matted hair is a disgrace no matter a child’s race.

Allie
Allie
Reply to  D'Mari

My mom is white she always went for advice she went to black people for advice when i was younger. quit judging us adopted people or kids who have a white parent. I’m disappointed that there are people like this in the world. You are quick to judge and you aren’t even trying to understand what we go through. Just stop this.

Olivia
Olivia
Reply to  Allie

I agree. My white mom was FABULOUS when doing my hair (which is multi-texture, but mostly 4a). She never even went to the black side of the family. She just researched my hair type and stayed clear of relaxers and other texture manipulators. I grew up with my long, healthy hair in braids, twists, afro puffs, and the occasional flat iron when I was a bit older. Judging biracial kids (like myself) and/or adopted kids with a white mom is wrong, and not all mothers neglect to take care of the children’s hair.

Valentine
Valentine
Reply to  D'Mari

It’s funny you mention that as sometimes I wonder why white mom should get advice from black moms on how to threat their daughters hair as osot of them answers would probably be to relaxed them. Being black doesn’t mean you automatically know how to handle your hair. In fact it takes some a lifetime to understand how to care for their hair. That’s why many black woman hide their hairs under weaves or relax them.

Pseudonym
Pseudonym
Reply to  Jessie

Seriously on the “making black men look bad” thing. My black dad combed my hair all the time when I was a kid.

Danay
Danay

I think this is fabulous just for the simple fact that I have seen WAY TOO OFTEN that a good number of white mothers will allow their biracial children’s hair to be unkempt, matted, and tangled. And fathers usually don’t tend to know how to do little girls’ hair. So to see a white father taking the time, energy, and love to maintain his black daughter’s hair is great.

SN: I have not set out to offend anybody with the comment about white mothers with biracial babies. I am just stating what I personally happen to see on a regular basis.

D'Mari
D'Mari

First of all, the little girl has silk curly hair making it easy to comb. Whether it will stay that way is unseen. The mere fact that “dad” is tickled pink that he is taking care of his children and one of the responsibilities is combing his little girl’s hair is commendable. My husband couldn’t even cut our boys hair, so I did the hair cutting in the house. I see nothing wrong with this pic, he adopted this child and must care very much for her. Racism is a pain in the arse!

Allie
Allie

I grew up in a white home both my parents (I was adopted). I’m Biracial and my point of view is they do they best they can. My mom went to black friends that she had for advice always, and both my parents learned how to manage my hair. I can’t believe all the rude comments i see there are more important issues. I am proud to be adopted my parents honor both my races and cultures. I’m offended because if in fact these kids are adopted like i am we learn at a young age skin doesn’t matter. We… Read more »

Angel
Angel

I think that it is very judgmental to say that most biracial children go around looking unkempt. First, there is an enormous amout of importance placed on hair that doesn’t need to be there. Second, biracial hair is different. Until recently , products and advice for how to care for it were nearly non-existent. Everyone either just let it go, or fried it into submission. Now that is finally changing. I for one, find it terribly offensive when women give me cards or phone numbers for “someone who will relax that for you.” What’s wrong with my daughter’s natural hair?… Read more »

Ms. Curvy
Ms. Curvy

Most non white people don’t know what racism/white supremacy is or how it works so yes they are offended because of ignorance.

Ms Marcy
Ms Marcy

Seeing ANY Dad doing his daughter’s hair is lovely. Consequently,
any other statement is just not important. Hair bonds us to our parents like nothing else. May God’s blessings, courage and insight be with all adopted and biological parents.

Jaye
Jaye

My fondest memories of my dad are of him combing and trying to braid my thick curly hair. He always looked as intense as this fella, yet all the while I sat quite patiently, resting in that love. Sometimes one of his braids didn’t want to lay correctly, but I didn’t care. This was one of the few times I sat quietly — I was quite a “tom-boy.” She’s only going to remember, “My dad used to comb my hair for me…” Please don’t color the love.

mstitine92
mstitine92

Beautiful and very touching

Janet
Janet

Nice job! He appears to be doing a caring job! He is very focused! I feel the love! God bless them always!

Naomi
Naomi

I am half black and half hispanic. Most of the time my black mother was the one who took care of my hair when I was a child. My father would offer his hands to braid my hair whenever my mother was out running an errand. He was never very good at it but it was nice to know that he cared even about whether or not my hair was done. That had nothing to do with his race, more to do with who he is. I grew up knowing many multiracial kids and children who were from all over… Read more »

Alice
Alice

I just hope he starts from the ends and works his way down. Oh, and moisturize! Make sure he moisturizes her hair…And buys her a scarf to wear at night. Does he know about the co-wash?

nosense
nosense

Father does daughter’s hair. Alert the press. Why is this news?

Keke
Keke

I’m so in love with this! I’m not against whites adopting blacks and vice versa (or any race in that matter). I’m against not learning how to maintain their hair (or any race in that matter/can go multiple ways). I hate seeing young black girls walking around in this crazy hair state becuause the parents are uneducated about their hair (although this can go many ways). If that was an adopted white child her hair would not be matted, breaking, and falling out. I’m happy she had braids, and I’m happy hes taking them out! Wanna know why?? Becuause he… Read more »

Keta
Keta

Outstanding.… FYI… there are plenty of African American men who does their kids hair, they just don’t post it up for the whole world to see… Sorry to disappoint those of you who thought differently.

Amanda
Amanda

I think it is amazing that this father is taking the time and energy to do his daughter’s hair but I’m at a loss as to why he had to post a picture like this. I don’t doubt that he loves his daughter but this feels like a self validation picture more than anything. It could be half and half, taking out braids is time consuming and an apropriate response given his reason for the picture, but it’s like.… okay.….why was this such a pressing issue to premeditate a picture to post the following evening. Sorry if this is incoherent,… Read more »

Shambra Muhammad
Shambra Muhammad

My father never did my sisters and mines hair growing up, but my children’s father did when they were little. White, black or other it really depends on the man and race has nothing to do with it.

Dabney
Dabney

I love this! I think it’s great that white parents are taking care of the children they have adopted with varying textures of hair. I love that they are asking for help, learning techniques and taking on the job. I love that there is more information on how to take care of black textured hair so that there isn’t this ignorance. This is great and needs to be encourage. Hopefully there will be a cultural shift and more white people and black people will stop trying to make our hair“acceptable” and just accept it!

Pearl
Pearl

actually there has been quite a few slideshow pictures of African american Dads and men who are uncles that showed them braiding, parting, and wrapping the hair in buns of little girls hair. That slide show of pics circulated at least four times within two years. African american men definitely does their little diamonds hair too. (unbelievable folks)

paisley
paisley

Honestly I keep seeing comments regarding unkempt hair on little black children. I have a really bad feeling that these comments are just the expression of internalized shame over the natural frizzy, kinky texture of nappy virgin hair. The funny thing is that our ethnically distinct hair texture is not as undesirable to others as it is to those who this internalized shame. I love big frizzy, nappy, kinky, tightly wound, wild hair. I love to see little girls and boys proudly wearing their ever expanding afros and natural hair. I don’t find it unkempt. I go down it absolutely… Read more »

Nicki
Nicki

Omg! So freaking precious! This is just to adorable.

ruth
ruth

I think it’s just normal. I don’t really understand the reason why some of the black people are criticizing the pictures

SKEEWEE
SKEEWEE

But he appears to be doing the very best he can. My dad never even attempted to comb my hair, from what I can recall. White people, or people in general, should absolutely be able to adopt Black children if they are willing to love and care for them as though the child were their own. I encourage MORE people to adopt children as long as they are able to give them a clean and safe, loving home! Also, my husband is White and I’m Black, and when we have kids, we will consider them to be Black/African. There are… Read more »

thill
thill

Black, white, green, or blue…we are different and for one to express an innocent thought on a diverse part of his/her life is merely their choice and shouldn’t be judged. Great job dad, at least you tried!

the hel
the hel

first of all this comments is stupid , first look at the comp that is using this is a NO NO for Afrikan hair ‚this child is going to hell right now the romentisation cause a white man is DOING HER HAIR ThE WRONG WAY .. please there is nothing touching i this picture ‚everybody raise your own this is a real reason white should not raise African childreNS POOR GIRL .