8 Natural & Organic Hair Product Lines

Avatar • Feb 6, 2012

By Fran of Heyfranhey.com

My desire to use chemical-free beauty products started when I changed my eating habits. I made the choice to invest in my health by working out and cutting processed foods, so it seemed only natural to do a similar screening process with my beauty routine. At first I did my research on which chemicals to avoid, but I soon found there were way too many to keep track of. Some reports made the chemicals sound deadly and cancer causing, while others stated they would simply “dry your hair out”.

I didn’t know what to believe and didn’t want to find out the hard way, so I decided using all natural and organic products was the safest bet. That way I wouldn’t have to stand in the beauty aisle trying to remember which alcohol was the “good kind” and which silicone was the “ok” one to use. There’s something peaceful about grabbing a product that has a handful of ingredients made from fruit, herbs and oils. And I didn’t want to take any chances with chemicals seeping into my body and cells and doing lord knows what to them in the long run!

I know you guys are going to say all natural and organic products cost an arm and a leg. A lot of them do. That is the truth. But not all of them! And, yes, the cheaper products were most definitely awesome for my pockets, but I found myself at the salon more often. Healthier products are better at helping your hair retain the moisture it needs to stay damage free and protected. This translates into less visits to the salon and more money in your pocket, in the long run. I went from having to trim 5 times a year to only once a year. It definitely balances out.

I admire those who can whip up their own products at home using nothing but fresh ingredients. I’m definitely not much of a mixtress. Yet! But in the meantime, I’ve narrowed down an awesome list of brands that genuinely care about our health. Here are 8 all natural and organic companies you should consider the next time you’re shopping for products:

1. Shea Moisture
Ingredients: All natural and organic ingredients ranging from shea butter and African black soap to avocado butter and neem oil.
Products: This line carries hair, face, body and grooming products that can be purchased at Amazon.com, your local Target, Walgreens and Duane Reade.
Price Point: The average price of each product is $9.99.

Next Page

About Fran

I'm a natural hair, nutrition and fitness blogger from New York City. Battling a kidney related illness that doctors couldn't seem to fix, I became obsessed with alternative medicine. After months of researching and finally curing myself, it became quite evident that healthy resources in our urban communities were lacking. I began my health & wellness tumblr in Dec of 2010 as somewhat of a journal, hoping to shed some light on my journey to health as well as our disconnection with healthy living. It's been my goal to create a safe haven where our wellness concerns could be shared and hopefully cured, as naturally as possible.

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

I don’t use them exclusively; however, my moisturizer, pudding, and pomade stems from the same line (Oyin Handmade).

Lola
Lola
Reply to  honeybrown1976

I was wondering why Oyin Handmade was not listed. There products are all natural. I love the pomade but it’s too heavy for me. I use the conditioner.

Trini
Trini
Reply to  Fran

Okay, so we’ll see part 2 :)? Also, didn’t know if Jane Carter is considered to be organic.

Trini
Trini
Reply to  Fran

Thanks.….just noticed part II as well, so off to read it!

Natalie
Natalie

I only use organic natural products but most of the time I make my own lotions and potions. The only thing I buy is conditioner usually Giovanni or Faith in Nature and I use the Aubrey protein conditioner but that is it. I love mixing up my own stuff to clean and moisturise my body and hair and I stopped using deodorant years ago, it is really nasty stuff. I like to know what I am putting into/onto my body. The government and companies don’t care that alot of the products and food on the market can cause very nasty side… Read more »

AJ
AJ

Yes, I mostly use natural and organic products. I use Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash or mix my own Rhassoul clay mud wash to cleanse my hair. Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose mixed with DailyCurlz oil mix for deep conditioning. I use my own homemade Shea butter mix to moisturize and seal my hair. I do occasionally use Trader Joe’s Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner if I’m in a rush. TJ’s products have small amounts of parabens as a preservative.

Gia
Gia
Reply to  Fran

Its mostly found online on their website

Nic
Nic

I try to use organic or natural when possible. I’ll use Teressentials Wash followed by whatever deep conditioner I can get my hands on, no brand loyalty there followed by a sealing oil. Pull back and put a couple of sticks in. Done. I like Shea Moisture, but DO NOT BUY off Amazon. It’s a total markup from Target, Walgreens. The company is taking a long time to revamp their website, but it’s not worth the 50% mark up on Amazon, versus Walgreens.com or Target.

Ms.wildgoose
Ms.wildgoose
Reply to  Nic

Oi! i completely agree with you on that whole mark up thing. When i saw it, i was like “are they serious?!”.

LBell
LBell

Is today’s post advocating for the roots-and-berries side of natural hair care? lol ^5 My co-wash conditioners and protein treatments tend not to be organic as a general rule but currently everything else I’m using is natural and/or organic. I used to be more of a mixtress but nowadays I’ll only make mixes that aren’t super labor-intensive (e.g. Kimmaytube leave-in, Cipriana’s Love Potion #9). I know there’s a lot of back-and-forth regarding Kinky Curly products, but as a recent convert I have to say that because they’re concentrated (KCKT/KCCC) I find I use very little, which means that in terms… Read more »

mangomadness
mangomadness

I only use natural products (Shea Moisture products, castor oil, flax seed gel, Lily of the Dessert aloe vera gel, etc). I do it for my health and for the good of the enviroment.

Polly
Polly

The prices, though!

sosoulful_0125
sosoulful_0125
Reply to  Polly

Li
Li

I really like the Aubrey Organics line and I like Qhemet Biologics )which is mostly natural/organics ingredients, I think!)

LaWanda S
LaWanda S

Love Shea Moisture, wanting to try the Camille Rose line.

Sam
Sam

I believe Kinky Curly is an organic product also. I absolutely LOVE Knot Today leave in. Its light weight and has great slip.

Mrs. Ebonee
Reply to  Sam

It is..and I am wondering why it isnt on the list as well as Curls… I only those 2 lines on my daughter;s hair and it has grown almost 5 inches due to the products and my learning how to better care for her hair.

Trini
Trini

Shea Moisture is on sale @ Walgreens this week (at least in NY). There is a $3.00 register reward for a future purchase.

Alexandra
Alexandra
Reply to  Trini

It’s on sale over here in the DMV too! I sure nuff was there this weekend. I love Shea Moisture products. I like Giovanni too. My hair reacts really well with these 2 products

Etty
Etty
Reply to  Alexandra

Yaay for DMV! Are there any sales at Target?

Alexandra
Alexandra
Reply to  Etty

Nope, and I’m on it every week, lol! Walgreens is usually the only spot that has the sales for Shea Moisture

Trini
Trini
Reply to  Alexandra

My hair responds well to both lines too. Lately though, SM seems to have the edge. I have not even repurchased the Gio Direct Leave In, and pretty much use SM hair milk or the curl enhancing smoothie…perhaps it’s the winter.

Eboni
Eboni

It feels really good to know that much of what I’m using in my hair is natural!

No wonder my hair responds so well to Shea Moisture, Giovanni, and Aubrey Organics 😀

Meena
Meena

Where is my beloved QHEMET BIOLOGICS??? They are the Holy Grail of Organic Natural Hair Products, especially the 4c’s who comprise a significant portion of the natural hair world.

Whitney
Whitney
Reply to  Meena

I have been using Qhemet Biologics since I first went natural (after trying some others). It keeps my hair moisturized for days!

df
df
Reply to  Meena

They take WAY too long with their sales.…I personally try not to get dependent on lines that aren’t dependable or at least have a decent alternative for it.

chloe
chloe
Reply to  Meena

Co-signing! It’s the best natural line for 4C hair.

Ms.wildgoose
Ms.wildgoose

I love Shea moisture. i wouldn’t say i am a product junky by any means because i have never heard of some of the things mentioned here on this article, however. Shea moisture fits my budget and i like what it does for my hair, in conjunction with it being natural/organic. i will be looking into some of these other products.

NancyM
NancyM

I’m using Giovanni 50:50 for the first time now. I got it on sale for $16.00 for both the shampoo and conditioner ($8.00/each). So far, so good. I’ll definitely continue to use it until it’s gone. The jury is still out on whether I’ll buy it again.

Leslie Mac
Leslie Mac

I exclusively switched to all Aveda products when I did my big chop. I had been using them along with non-organic products before then. I use their Be Curly line and it works so great, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to non-organic.

Misha
Misha

Aveda is not all natural…they do carry some natural products but read each one carefully…i used to use them and when i learned about what ingredients to avoid i found that some of their products had sulfates and parabens in them

E
E

right now I am using shea moisture products and natural oils. I am always writing down new products just in case I pass by them is the store. I have a t.w.a right now so there’s not many options but I will be trying these products eventually.

J. Elizabeth
J. Elizabeth

I love Sheamoisture. The products have done wonders for my hair. However, I live in Toronto and they only distribute to one store in all of Canada. While it is reasonable priced down south, all of their products cost $20 — $22 in the store. Hopefully one day they’ll open up their distribution so the price wouldn’t be as expensive.

cocoberrie
cocoberrie
Reply to  J. Elizabeth

Have you tried Live Clean products? (www.live-clean.ca) They are available at Walmart and RealCanadian Superstore. Their products are phthalate free and paraben free.

JElizabeth
JElizabeth
Reply to  cocoberrie

I’ve switched my shampoo and conditioner to live clean because it’s cheaper and a lot easier to find.

At_Ease
At_Ease
Reply to  J. Elizabeth

Also try well.ca if you want Giovanni’s or Aubrey organics or Alba Botanica.

I’ve been using the Body Shop Rainforest Shine Shampoo since May 2011 and that was worked pretty well for my 4c hair. They have a Rainforest Moisture Line as well and I use the conditioner from that.

JElizabeth
JElizabeth
Reply to  At_Ease

Thanks! I think I’ll look into the Body shop line. I’ve tried Giovanni but it doesn’t really do anything fory hair. I just started using Aubrey and my hair looooves it so far lol. I’ve recently cut my hair really short and sheamoisture doesn’t really do it for me anymore, unfortunately.

Phylicia
Phylicia
Reply to  JElizabeth

I live in Toronto as well and would love to know where to get Sheamoisture hair products!! So please do tell! :-). I recently found Giovanni and Aubrey products on Well.ca, but have yet to find Sheamoisture :-(. I’m finding out more and more that it’s hard to find products for our hair type.

Didi
Didi
Reply to  Phylicia

You can get sheamoisture products from honeyfig, ridiculously jacked up prices but what can you do, ordering from US and custom fees…not my cup of tea at all.

Shay
Shay
Reply to  Phylicia

You can find Giovanni at many department stores including Shoppers Drugmart, Loblaws and Walmart. You can also find Aubrey at almost any natural health store. I know the natural health stores in Kensington Market have it way cheaper than Well.ca. Cosign at Sheamoisture at Honeyfig for jacked up prices. I’d rather use Shea-All naturals(at least for shampoo) than pay that price.

Lysa
Lysa

Aww no terressentials? By far the best product I have ever tried. Plus every single ingredient they use is FDA approved

Aderonke
Aderonke

I really like Aubrey Organics. The Honey Suckle Rose has been my STAPLE for two years. I don’t use anything else. I do like to try to stick to organic products for my hair. I use a lot of oils like avocado oil and jojoba oil for my hair. I find they work really well. I would love for everything that I use on my body to be organic but it can be a little pricey and its tough when you are a student (recently went back to school and don’t have a big budget). However I do use some… Read more »

Vonne
Vonne

Love Aubrey’s and Giovanni. I really wanna try My Honey Child, I’ve been hearing great things about their old fashioned hair grease and buttery soy cream.

BlackOnyx03
BlackOnyx03

Fran — I’d like you to feature the company of an acquaintance of mine from undergrad called Cara B. http://www.mycarab.com/ All natural and chemical free.

N Francis
N Francis

Im curious about Shea moisture. I really like their products but find myself a bit nervous about their ingredients. They don’t seem to list them all. They also don’t list a preservative for some and when products have water, they must have a preservative of some kind. A coulple Items dont list emulsifiers which are almost nearly impossible to avoid when combining stable oil and water mixes. I emailed the company a couple weeks ago but no one has yet to respond.

Alexandra
Alexandra
Reply to  N Francis

Tocopherol, a form of Vit. E, is a natural (antioxidant) preservative. When you read their ingredients most, if not all, contains Tocopherol. Some say Vit. E is not a preservative but it is. I hope Shea Moisture listd all their ingredients if not whatever’s in there is working for me. (^_^)

N Francis
N Francis
Reply to  Alexandra

Vitamin E is not a preservative. It’s simply an antioxidant. It helps to extend the shelf life of oils so they don’t turn rancid. It does not inhibit the growth of mold, yeast or bacteria.
I agree. The products work well. I actually love them, but they should contain some kind of preservative or at least list all ingredients so the consumer is informed and/or using a safe product.

kinkycurlyhairchick
kinkycurlyhairchick
Reply to  N Francis

Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract are the preservatives used in the shea moisture product line.

Lucky
Lucky

I’m an Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose FIEND! I use a bit of it in my daily spritzes and I mix it with oils, amla and blackstrap molasses as a deep condish. That stuff is the bomb!

My other loves are Karen’s Body Beautuful’s Butter Love, Sweet Ambrosia, and Creamylicious.

Oyin’s Frank Juice is a must-have

Chels

I do you use natural hair products exclusively. They’re approximately the same price as products with the cones or SLS’s and other chemical properties not good for the hair, skin and overall body. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Aubrey Organics line. I tried the GPB Shampoo & Conditioner and they’re amazing! They give gr8 results for my hair & don’t give it a stripped feel & my scalp doesn’t itch herendously-hardly at all(spec the shampoo-NO SLS). I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Shea Moisture’s products. With that line, I’ve tried the Organic Raw Butter Deep Treatment Hair Masque & Curl Enhancing Smoothie… Read more »

Kat
Kat

I love Camille Rose Naturals. I’ve been using their products for the last 3 months and love their conditioner, twisting butter and whipped gel for my wash and go. I’m currently trying their shampoo, deep conditioner and scalp oil to see if I can add them to my staples. I also like qhemet biologics and a new boutique line called BASK beauty for my daughter’s hair.

Nita
Nita
Reply to  Kat

Co-signing on Camille Rose! I love love love the Almond Jai Twisting Butter! Has hold and moisture! Can’t wait to try their other products. I’m so glad I can buy it on ground in Atlanta.

Kat
Kat

I identified so much to this article as I too have chosen to live a healhier lifestyle and have become more conscious about the ingredients we put in and on our body and our hair. I’m still learning but it’s definitely been an empowering experience.

N Francis
N Francis

Alexandria- Vitamin E is not a preservative. It only helps to extend the shelf life of oils so they dont turn rancid. It does not prevent the growth of bacteria, yeast, or mold.

Alexandra
Alexandra
Reply to  N Francis

Thanks for the info. Maybe that’s where I got confused when researching about. And I do agree about what you said about listing all ingredients. Like Nic said yesterday it’s taking a long time for the company to revamp their website. It’s been months. If you look up sundialcreations.com it looks like the owner is coming up with some new stuff that sounds really good but the websites under the new companies for Sundial are under construction also. Thanks again, Ms. Naturalista N Francis

Mimi
Mimi

We are exposed to so many chemicals daily that when I can, I try to make the conscious decision of going a more natural route. I was scared straight early in my natural journey to use natural products with the word cancer floating around too many common ingredients in beauty products. I don’t mind shelling out a few extra dollars if it will help the state of my hair, but won’t jeopardized my health. I have been using Giovanni’s faithfully for about 2 years, but I have dabbled a bit in Shea Moisture’s line as well as Aubrey Organics. I… Read more »

Tee
Tee

I use the products of a natural diva that was showcased on here a while ago, Dominique. Her line is All Things O’Natural

Dana
Dana

Oyin Handmade!!! Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner is a new staple. Hands down. I may give Shea moisture another try. Love their black soap 🙂 Terressentials left coast lemon is the TRUTH. I hope my new jar of Quemet heavy cream loves me! Is jessicurl all natural…?

Julie
Julie

There is a company called ButtersNBars which has great natural products for hair and body and reasonably priced too! They also carry Henna.

Shawn
Shawn

My cousin is a chemist who wasn’t satisfied with the products available for natural hair so she created her own line, The Love of People. The moisturizing spray is fabulous! http://www.loveofpeople.com/

Kim
Kim

Giovanni products are the best! I found out Walmart carries this line. I purchased my Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner as a set for $12.99 at TJ Maxx. The sell the single bottles for $5.99 too. Walmart costs more but they included a sample/trial size and have more formulas available. The slip in the conditioner is excellent and a great base for the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe.

At_Ease
At_Ease

Naptural85 has a leave-in recipe that is pretty simple (if shea butter and coconut work well for your hair):

mommyg05

I’ve never tried these lines before. My hair, (and skin), care regimen is made up of products from products from my company, Geseen Natural Beauty, along with the Giovanni Deeper Moisture Conditioner, (for hair). Below is the link to my on-line store, if anyone is interested in our affordable natural and organic products that work. Btw, you can also customize products to better fit your needs 🙂 Enjoy and God bless you!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/PicnikGNBcollage‑1.jpg[/img]

kis10
kis10

i was looking for kinky curly as well. i’m a pj so i’ve tried just about everything listed. now you all have me curious about this qhemit line. hmmmmmm

Hope
Hope

I recently started caring for my natural hair properly for the last three months.I have been using Kera Care for the last three months. Is this not a good brand as it has not been mentioned.
Thanks,
Hxx

Cali
Cali

🙁 jane carter solution so needs to be on this list!!!

Jesus Griggs

It’s obviously what I am looking for , very great information , cheer!

trackback

[…] couple weeks back we discussed our favorite natural and organic product lines. It was great to see how many of us loved and used the same brands. It was also extremely […]

Meron
Meron

All these products sounds good to me, but i am a little affraid do off useing all these different products. Cause my hair is damaged!! (damn ‘mixed chicks) so now in affraid of trying new products out.. Know what i mean. But i will deff try some of his out because maybe THIS is what my hair needs.. Organic, alcohol free products

X

Briana
Briana

I tried to go organic but I still find a lot of the products too expensive being a college student. I remember buying almost the whole line of shea moisture and my hair hated every product 🙁 I just try to look for things with no sulfates or silicones and I find that it has helped my hair a lot. One day though I would love to try Aveda!

Shay
Shay

Just a point–I think one needs to be careful calling these products organic. I know many of them say they are, but without the actual Organic seal you can’t really know for sure.

trackback

Odane Quarrie
Odane Quarrie

The best products I have come across for African/ethnic hair and skincare are from http://www.justnaturalskincare.com

Luci
Luci
Reply to  Odane Quarrie

I just spent $116 dollars worth getting their pretreatment and leave in conditioner. It’s pure garbage!! The leave in and pretreatment felt like it was the same product just packaged as different products.

Ebony Johnson

I can wait for my products line to make this list. Please check out Ynobe Shop when you get a chance. All natural and organic products handmade from scratch with tons of love. http://www.ynobeshop.com
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Logo.jpg[/img]

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Ebony Johnson

I ORDERED FROM YOU BEFORE AND THE PRODUCTS WERE TERRIBLE THEY DRIED MY HAIR SO BAD

mimi
mimi

well still not sure about some of these “Natural” shampoos. some of them leave the hair feeling like a brillo pad.

Voodoo Roots Organics

THIS IS A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT…

Looking for a more holistic approach to achieving longer, stronger and more manageable hair…Please Checkout Our Website at voodooroots.com. THIS REVOLUTIONARY BREAKTHROUGH IS DESIGNED TO GROW ALL HAIR TYPES LONGER & STRONGER THE ORGANIC WAY… Don’t let the name fool you it’s provocative for a reason…
“VOODOO ROOTS ORGANICS”

TP
TP

I love shea moisture moisture retention shampoo n Aubrey Organic GPB condition. I would add Karen’s body beautifull product line n Oyin Handmade ! They are awsome too!

TP
TP

I only use the most natural and organic product on my hair!

??? ?????? ????? ????

????? ??? ??? ?????? ????? ???? http://www.147b.com/

find.hamptonroads.com

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right
here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish
be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same
nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

surgery simulator download free

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for natural hair products

deandria blount

virgin hair!

Delphia

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was
super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any tips and hints for rookie blog writers?

I’d definitely appreciate it.

divorce lawyer vermont

Magnum opus! Let me just authorize myself into your guestbook to reveal you how much i appreciate your work.

Dorothy
Dorothy

I’ve wanted to try some of these products, especially the ones you can’t purchase in stores. I’ve noticed that if you live in a highly “brown” or urban environment, these products cost 2 to 3 dollars more. Example, Shea moisture products cost about $10 when I lived further out with less brown people. Move to a new area, still not in the city but an increase in minorities and it’s anywhere from $12 to $13! Better to get offline or spend that on a product line that’s more consistently priced.

Connie
Connie

Thanks for this list. I bought several products from the KeraCare line and was satisfied with the results. However, I did some research on some of the ingredients (ie..Propylene Glycol) and found that they are toxic and should be avoided. I will return the KeraCare products I bought and purchase products that are closest to natural as possible. I really don’t believe all organic/natural products are chemical free either, but they are better than most conventional products that are on the market.

trackback

[…] natural hair movement has branched beyond hair care products; organic moisturizers and makeup made for Black women are increasing. All-natural products using […]

Star
Star

I am in love with Eden bodyworks, they are an all natural product brand aswell. The prices range from 8–10$, the quality is great and the products are the bomb 🙂

Crisanta
Crisanta

Okay well there’s this hair care kit I use that comes with organic shampoo, conditioner, hair mask and hair oil. It’s called the Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Hair Repair System and was specifically designed to repair, hair without the use of harmful silicone and sulfates. When you use the Pro Naturals complete 4 step system your hair and scalp are gently yet thoroughly cleansed and hair is restored and reconstructed back to its natural healthy state. The feature ingredient, 100% Natural Moroccan Argan Oil, is most like the naturals oils in our hair so as it repairs the delicate… Read more »

trackback

[…] Not only has the natural hair phenomenon affected the way African-American women view their hair, but it has also affected the hair care industry and the number of products available for those with ethnic hair. A number of hair care brands such as L’Oreal, Pantene, Crème of Nature and Dark and Lovely have created collections tailored specifically for curly and natural hair textures. […]

trackback

[…] following is a list of 10 products that are free of harsh chemicals. You can use any of them and have peace of mind that they will be safe for your little […]

Bri Van Der Pol
Bri Van Der Pol

Which are your favorite natural and organic product lines?

Sara
Sara

I use Qhemet Biologics and Just Natural products on my hair. All organic hair care and I absolutely love it!
I also use oils and butters. I don’t think I can go back to the non-natural/organic products. I can see a huge difference in the growth and appearance of my hair since using these products.

Jaz
Jaz

This list is VERY MISLEADING.None of these products are certified organic. Anyone can write their ingredients are “natural” or “organic”

Gina Soence

Greetings I am a licensed cosmetologist with over 25 years off knowledge and experience . I named my product line for my daughter Isis she is now 18 and attends Spelman College .I am the US patent holder as well as the manufacturer of these fine 100% natural products shipping is free .ps these are the only products I use on my clients the results you can see on my Facebook page thehealinghouseofisis .

Olivia
Olivia

I’ve recently been looking into shea moisture and have done some research on their ingredients. Are they completely natural? I can’t find a direct answer and was wondering your opinion

Gina spence

http://Www.universalsheahealing.com to order 100% natural hair care products online use my promo code to get 50% off the white shea peppermint conditioner when you purchase The Shea Shampoo .… Peace Love and blessings from The Healing House of Isis