How to Make a Protective Weave or Wig

Avatar • Sep 21, 2011

Note: Although naturals have varying opinions on wigs and weaves, we believe that — when done correctly — they can be an effective protective style. For several months we’ve gotten inquiries about how to properly apply and care for protective wigs and weaves. We hope this guest post answers some of those questions.

By Amber of LuvMyKynxx

Weaves and wigs will be high on my list of protectives this winter. I plan on having fun with them to try out styles I wouldn’t normally wear with my real hair. I plan on adding color and wearing short precision cuts since wearing my real hair this way isn’t an option. This will be a part of my growth journey this winter. I love the fact I can take it off and clean, condition, and oil my scalp and hair with zero manipulation, which for me is a key factor in retaining length.

People have shared nightmare stories with me about quick weaves that damaged their hair. In my opinion a quick weave/wig is 100% protection. If you are properly caring for your hair underneath you will have guaranteed growth and zero breakage. I recognized there was one commonality in each story…a stylist that didn’t know how to care for and protect their real hair from glue damage.

Below I’ll show a few pics demonstrating how to prepare your natural hair for a protective quick weave/wig and not have to worry about your hair being damaged from glue removal…no glue will touch your hair or scalp.

Since my hair was already braided from the week prior I moisturized with water and Knot Today and sealed with an oil mixture of EVOO, Castor, Coconut oil as carriers for the Lavender and Rosemary essentails I’ve come to luv.

Next I placed a plastic disposable shower cap over my head then put the wig cap on. Now I was able to glue the weave tracks onto the wig cap with confidence in knowing my natural hair will be protected underneath.

Depending on the style and the type of hair being used its always best to begin with the nape of your head and move towards the front.

At this point I contintued to glue the tracks on in a circular pattern until I reached the center and place the closer. I cut and styled it to my liking and the photos above are the finished product.This is the first time I’ve ever used this brand of hair so Im not sure how long it will last. I’d be happy with 2 weeks!

Ladies, is this similar to your weave/wig regimen? Share your tips!

For more of Amber’s hair tips, check out her site Luv My Kynxx.

Anneka
Anneka

This looks awesome, but my only concern is the lack of breathing (air) getting to the scalp. I know i use the plastic cap to create a greenhouse effect at night to deep condition, but to do this everyday all day seem like my scalp wont get the much needed breathing. Just wondering 🙂

Lyn
Lyn
Reply to  Anneka

You don’t have to leave the plastic cap on, it just protects your hair from getting any glue on it. After you make your wig, you take it off, and remove your plastic cap! 🙂

Cy
Cy
Reply to  Lyn

This is very good information. Some naturals shy away from the wig instead of seeing as a useful protective style for hair. I don’t weave, but I wear wigs and hair pieces to help my hair grow. This alternative has given me another option.

Ashante
Ashante

Right now I have a sew-in and I want to know how I do I wash it properly and how long do I keep it in?

Babs
Babs

oh my god. i’m doing this after i get my twiss it just makes so much senseeeee

Mz. T

Does anyone know what kind of wig Solange has on in the first picture?

cocobakerchica
cocobakerchica
Reply to  Mz. T

I know!! That look is so hot! I want to know too!

uglykinks
uglykinks

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u‑MD0Iz6-Bw

Asea
Asea

I found this idea on YouTube a couple months ago and made my own wig and it came out FAB! I used the wig cap that is more of a netting and its very breathable. I wore it to a wedding and everyone thought it was my hair lol. I love hats and slouch knot caps, and that used to be my go to dont-wanna-do-my-hair today savior, but now I have another option. I love it. I used synthetic hair that was 10 bucks and I only used one pack. It is soft bouny and fun. 🙂

tonia
tonia

love the outcome. what hair did you use?

Zyaran
Zyaran

This hair stylist by the name of “Napngo” on youtube has a great way of doing a quick wig. Video is titled
An Even Quicker Quick weave =) took bout 10 minutes a REAL GLUE FREE QUICK WEAVE. Hope you guys like it.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bru7eyFFWWU

Jade
Reply to  Zyaran

I would totally do this… if I could cornrow. :’(

I only wear wigs for cosplay and drag shows, but I might have to try making one for everyday use. 😀

Joy
Joy
Reply to  Zyaran

wow, I love her hair, I just can’t get with all the bobby pins, usually they start irritating my scalp after awhile

Aivlys
Aivlys

Today is actually my first day wearing a wig! I love it! I can’t wait to rock it on the daily in the winter! I am doing the Deep moisture method to keep my real hair healthy. I love that I can see my hair everyday!

VivatheDivaTV

I usually utilize regular haircare tips regardless of what I am wearing on my head. Whether my hair is free and out or underneath wig/weave, I still cleanse, condition, moisturize and seal as per usual. Feel free to take a look at the top 10 hair practices that have been informing my hair journey and progress.

VivatheDivaTV

httpv://youtu.be/89emsHlpzKI

Masndo
Masndo

I made my first half wig a week or so ago. I love it! I need to perfect it a bit by adding more clips but once I do that, I know it’ll be even more awesome! I’ve been wearing half wigs for about a month now and I really feel like it is helping me getting the growth I want. I know hair only grows half an inch a month, but I have definitely noticed the half inch for the hair that has been protected under the half wig! I took my hair down last night and am wearing… Read more »

cocobakerchica
cocobakerchica

I’m pretty excited to see this! I was curious about the quick weave,and wondering how to do it. I appreciate both the guest blogger and all the above resources and tips my fellow naturalistas have left above(and hopefully below)my comment.

Jordan
Jordan

I recently bought a wig, because i didn’t want to relive the nightmare of getting my hair braided or having tracks sewn in. I bought a $20 half wig called Creta Girl. I got so many compliments! I’m still waiting on another half wig to come in the mail but I think this may be a keeper; I get to take care of my hair myself and protect it from the elements. 🙂
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/creta.jpg[/img]

KiKi
KiKi

Another way to make a wig. This girl did a great job!!!

Vivian
Vivian

Hey guys,
I recently bought 2 wigs (one’s a half, and the other a lace), but I’ve heard ppl say beware of wearing a wig cap. I’m wondering if that’s b/c of the material creating friction with your natural hair. It’s made of nylon for the most part right? Does anyone go capless? I don’t do the whole glue thing either.

Caramelqueen
Caramelqueen

I’m currently wearing a $19.99 half-wig that I LOVE!!!! I plaited my hair myself and wear my satin bonnet under the wig cap. I then bobby-pin the wig to my hair/the wig cap. I don’t use the combs b/c that can damage your hairline. My goal is to stay “wigged up” for six months to one year. 🙂

Z
Z

I’m using wigs and half wigs not only for protection but to change up my look for the winter. The wig I’m wearing now was suggested by wig stylist at the BSS. Also, I wear the wig backwards because was too long and I think it looks cuter. =)
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Photo_4D825803-BD22-3412–8465-8B26AD2AB1EF1.jpg[/img]

Jeni
Jeni
Reply to  Z

@Z, what wig is it? who makes it?

Z
Z
Reply to  Jeni

Hi Jeni,

It’s called Scandal. The packaging says Next. It was only $18.99. HTH

Jeni
Jeni
Reply to  Z

Thank you! I wasn’t able to find it unfortunately! But it looks beautiful on you 🙂

Z
Z
Reply to  Jeni

Thank you. I tried to find it online too but couldn’t find anything. I will do more investigation… I need a backup. hahaha

I can let you know my findings, if you want.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Am wearing a wig now and will do so until my hair grows to a length that I am comfortable with. No problems so far. Take wig off at home and clean, oil and moisturize hair every night.

Jessica
Jessica

If any body is interested in getting a weave put in for the winter, i would suggest getting Bohyme Brazilian wave hair! Its awesome!
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mail.jpg[/img]

bonita
bonita
Reply to  Jessica

i have always wondered if the bohyme brazilian wave hair would look good as a full head sew in with no leave out. every video i see the girl has a leave out and since my hair is 4b i’m sure it won’t blend well. Plus i don’t want to have to worry about my hair while it’s out. so does it look good as a full sew in no leave out?

julia

I never thought about giving my hair a “break” but also, whatever style my hair would be in under a wig (cornrows I’m assuming) I have no problem wearing out on it’s own. I guess hats and beanies are my hair’s break time.

So, I’ve never done a wig or a weave (other than braid extensions) but whatever Solange is rocking is gorgeous!

Dee
Dee

I like to wear a satin bonnet underneath my wig cap, because the wig caps can dry the hair out. Just a tip! 🙂

Hotel Abella is a hotel in Agia Marina of Crete. A nice place for wonderful vacations in excellent prices.

Woah this blog is great i like studying your posts. Stay up the good work! You understand, many persons are looking around for this info, you can aid them greatly.

Lafonda

Tanks fo the tips. we be homies
D=m/v

Marissa
Marissa

Maaaaan I’m salty after reading this. Lol I just did a quick weave and I didn’t think to use the shower cap UNDER the wig cap!! Smh I’m natural too and was afraid that I’ll pull up my hair while taking them out or damage my hair. well now that I know this, I am going to try it. Thank you! :^D

Melissa Baker
Melissa Baker

Do you leave the plastic cap on under the weave cap when you are finished?

Lioness
Lioness

Thank you so much since I’ve been natural I have not put in glue in my hair in fear of my stylist putting glue in my hair while doing. Now that I see how properly to protect my hair I can tell her exactly how I would like it!