Women Are Using Vicks VapoRub To Stimulate Hairline Growth and it Kinda Works!

Avatar • Oct 2, 2017

The first time I heard about women applying Vicks to their hairlines and scalps, I thought that there was no way that it could work. Vicks is thick and contains pore clogging petrolatum. However, when I did some research, I realized that there might be some real science behind it. The ingredients listed in the topical ointment are things that I’ve mixed together myself to apply to my scalp at one point or another. Eucalyptus, camphor, menthol, and lavender are all found in Vicks VapoRub and they help to stimulate hair growth if applied consistently.

Here is a bit of background on the hair growth stimulating ingredients that are in the product:

Camphor — is an essential oil that is cooling, refreshing, and improves circulation when applied topically.

Lavender — an essential oil that also improves circulation and is very effective in the treatment of hair loss (especially alopecia).

Menthol — clears the pores of irritants so that hair can grow easily. You can find menthol in a lot of shampoos and conditioners.

Eucalyptus ‑an essential oil that stimulates hair follicles and prevents dandruff and an itchy scalp. The oil also strengthens and improves the elasticity of hair, and controls an oily scalp.

With all of those wonderful, scalp tingling ingredients it’s no wonder Vicks is being used for more than suppressing coughs. Not only are women applying the ointment to their scalps, they are applying it to their eyebrows as well. Vlogger MakeupMesha stated that Vicks worked so well on her head that she actually had to slow down using it. Although she isn’t sure how much her hair grew in the 4 weeks that she used the product, she give visuals on the new growth she experience. Other users in the comments claimed that after one week of use, they saw at least an inch of growth.

You don’t need to use the brand name, Vicks VapoRub. Any generic chest rub will do, because they all have the same active ingredients.

Now that I know there is a method to the madness, I’m considering testing this out before I get my next protective style. I struggle with keeping the itchies away and the menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus in the ointment have me wondering if it will not only promote hair growth, but cool and refresh my itchy scalp. As always, experimenting with any product should be done with caution. You know what your scalp can tolerate and what it can’t. Safety should always be a priority.

Ladies, have you used Vicks VapoRub to stimulate hair growth?

TWA4now
TWA4now

Wow! Yes, I have heard of it and wondered if it works.

Cece Valentine
Cece Valentine
Reply to  TWA4now

It works. Stops itching. I used it. I also had my hair to grow an inch a month.

aiych
aiych

I might have to try this. Tried peppermint oil too for several months but was doing it at the same time as Curls Blissful Lengths vitamins so I’m not sure which one was making the difference. But I reached MBL with it, so I’m here for these lil fads lol

Vonnie
Vonnie

#distewmuch

Mels329
Mels329

I don’t want to smell like vapor rub though! I heard it works too.

Alexandria
Alexandria
Reply to  Mels329

As long as you shampoo it out, you shouldn’t smell it. I’d say give it a go.

Joe simon
Joe simon
Reply to  Alexandria

Would like work on a male that is balding

jeanne
jeanne
Reply to  Joe simon

Hi Joe, I am sure it will work for men also. Just recommended this to a male friend, will follow up with him in about a month. I am a woman, going to start testing it on my edges. Try it, good luck and happy hair growing!! ***Remember nutrition is also very important. Drink enough water or high-water foods/veggies/fruits and limit refined sugar, fried food and junk/processed food. Our internal habits affect our hair 1000%***

Anastasia
Anastasia
Reply to  Mels329

Try the baby one smells great but has the same ingredients

Racheal
Racheal
Reply to  Mels329

I know this is old but the idea isn’t to leave it on your head. You apply the vapor rub and allow it to sit for a while…I leave it on until I no longer feel that intense tingling and then shampoo it off. Once I’ve thoroughly shampooed and conditioned my hair, you’d never know or smell any Vic’s vapor rub. Trust me! Lol!

AlexDoorGentrify
AlexDoorGentrify

It’s surprising that so many folks are skeptical of the ingredients in vapor rub to stimulate hair growth. First, these oils have all been used holistically & in skincare products for ages. Second, petroleum is still not an enemy for all scalps & hair types. These a difference bn commercial & industrial petroleum. Fears aside, many products have uses beyond what is typically intended. Baking soda does more than make your biscuits fluffy. Glaucoma eye drops grow eyelashes. Peppermint oil grows hair better than Rogaine according to a recent study. I put Vicks on my scalp for 30 mins. Under… Read more »

Alexandria
Alexandria

There’s a woman on YT that I started watching a few months ago. She’s a beautiful southern bell and she uses Vicks on her daughter’s natural 4c hair. I have type 3b-3c fine textured hair, but I’m looking forward to using this. Over the summer, I grew out my hair from ear length to collar bone length but had to cut it due to excessive heat damage and split ends. I’m hoping that this product will make this Colorado winter more pleasant for me. Plus, Vicks is so cheap that there’s no real risk in trying it out. Can’t wait… Read more »

Alexandria
Alexandria
Reply to  Alexandria

Update: Two weeks in How I use: Once a week before shampoo. I part hair in sections of my hair and apply a small amount of Vapor Rub to my scalp and to the perimeter of my edges. I massage the product on my scalp for 15 minutes and shampoo out. My shampoo of choice is Design Essentials Peppermint shampoo (optional). I love the menthol feeling on my scalp. After washing the shampoo and product out of my hair, I Follow up with a conditioner from design essentials (deep condition only as needed). Results: So far, I’m loving it!! This stuff… Read more »

Fawziah
Fawziah
Reply to  Alexandria

I use Vicks VaporRub every 2 weeks, i have been using it for almost 2 months now and my snatched edges from braids are back thicker and stronger… Best method i found works for me is section my hair, apply on my scalp, massage in a bit and place a plastic bag for about an hour then get to washing it out, really helps me with build up. Fabulous and cheap product i have used so far.

Alexandria
Alexandria
Reply to  Fawziah

That’s awesome! After a month, my hair literally grew slightly more than an inch in NOVEMBER! I’m still shook. Plus my hair is noticeably thicker and stronger. I’ll have to try the shower cap. I’ve been using this treatment with a steamer to cut down time. I’m happy for your edges!!!

Mere
Mere

All I want to know is, DOES IT REALLY WORK????????

Dana
Dana

I read the article and decided to try it on my edges as they had broken off from the tension of constantly pulling my hair up on top of my head. Unlike the ladies from the other posts, I don’t wash it out. I wash/co-wash once a week or every two weeks depending on the buildup in my hair. I like the cool feeling so much, I started using it throughout my whole head. I’ve noticed a difference with my edges. They have gotten longer! Will continue to use. Oh and btw, I use at night and do not smell… Read more »

LW
LW

Someone on blackdoctor.org stole this whole article nearly word for word.

Sherine
Sherine

My edges were missing! My scalp itched furiously and my hair was super dry. I began using castor oil with keratin and creme of nature coconut milk leave in conditioner. They were both perfect and my hair responded quite well to them both but my scalp was still very itchy, so I upped my water game, as hydration really helps. Then I remembered a YouTube channel I watched which recommended Vicks for hair growth. I have used it for 1 week and have seen improvement, the itching stopped, the density thickened and my edges are filling and thickening. Some people… Read more »

Alexandria
Alexandria

Hey y’all! I wanted to revisit this thread after 7 months of using this method once a week. Vapor rub has become a staple in my hair care. Here has what has happened since I first began this journey last October.

-no itchy scalp
‑Healthier looking hair
‑stronger strands
‑length retention
‑no breakage
‑minimal shedding
‑very soft and easy to manage

As far as growth, I didn’t notice much of a difference as my hair grows really fast regardless. Growth is mostly genetic, but vapor rub is great for retention.