Black Women are Using Activated Charcoal to Lighten Underarm Discoloration

Avatar • Sep 13, 2016

Lately I’ve noticed a lot more products include activated charcoal in their ingredient list. Activated charcoal has been used in face masks, face washes, and even as eye liner. Prior to picking up steam in the beauty world, the dark powdery substance was used internally to treat ailments like venomous snake bites, upset stomachs, and mercury poisoning. Basically, this stuff is attracted to the toxins in your body and works hard to pull those toxins out.

Now some of your favorite beauty gurus to lighten underarms that have been beaten up from shaving and the aluminum that’s in most deodorants.

How does it work? Since activated charcoal is a natural lightener, it works over time and isn’t something that can produce results over night. In order to see the best results, you have to apply the activated charcoal mixture for up to 20 minutes, repeatedly for several weeks. You can purchase the charcoal in capsule form and in loose powder form.

This YouTube tutorial on the practice by Lovely Bryana tests the hack. With a mixture of activated charcoal and raw honey, Bryana is able to start the process of eliminating the darkness under her arms. Honey is a natural lightening agent and charcoal is a natural detox. Take a look at her tutorial below.

Ladies, would you try lightening your under arm area with activated charcoal?

JLTR's Excoriation Disorder
JLTR's Excoriation Disorder

If this stuff can be used to lighten acne scars I’m all over it. Also, callused/darkened elbows and knees.…..

RaCin à rOch ????
RaCin à rOch ????

Nope..but exfoliant would… YT is your best friends

BluOne
BluOne

What is YT please

JLTR's Dermatillomania
JLTR's Dermatillomania

Thanks! I should probably look and see if there’s any help for the disorder first…

Ellsabelle
Ellsabelle

If you want to lighten any part of your body, the best way to do it is with cutting a lemon into halves or fourths and applying to the areas to be lightened for ten minutes un a circular motion. Afterward, pat area dry and follow up with a heavy moisturizer. This can be done once per day while watching tv or reading a magazine. Besides, this remedy has been around for generations, contains antioxidants, and can easily be found locally.

JLTR is awkward
JLTR is awkward
Reply to  Ellsabelle

Thank you! I’ve tried this before, but probably not for enough time to see much of a difference. I’ll try again!

Lex
Lex

You’re an asshole!! Let people do what they need to do to feel better about themselves. I didn’t wear sleeveless shirts from age 10–20 because I was embarrassed. Living in AZ I had to bite the bullet and pretend that it didn’t bother me. I’m extatic that there might be a solution!!

Justice S
Justice S

People never really see armpits so why would you do this?Its not really that noticeable.

kassy
kassy
Reply to  Justice S

Some peoples underarms are so dark that it shows and spreads close to their boobs… and dont u wear sleevless clothes? Doesnt ur underarm show when u raise ur hands?

K_
K_

i literally just tried this this weekend after seeing a video from a non black woman about a month ago.. it didnt seem to work for me maybe i did it wrong or it needs to be more than once

Danielle
Danielle
Reply to  K_

It is a gradual process which can take several weeks to see full results

Kaori
Kaori

I might try this, thanks for sharing! 🙂
Where would I find charcoal pills though?

bosslaydee
bosslaydee
Reply to  Kaori

anywhere that sells vitamins

MyFluffyPuffs

Activated charcoal naturally contains minerals and LEAD. So be careful not to apply to broken skin. Deodorants / Anti-perspirant cause discoloration over time along with shaving (youre scraping skin). So unless you’re going to switch to natural deodars this is a temporary solution.

Mrs. Curry
Mrs. Curry
Reply to  MyFluffyPuffs

The lead in things like activated charcoal, bentonite clay and even brussel sprouts is not the same as dangeruos lead. The lead is binded to other metals, making it harmless. For example, NaCl is table salt, but unbinded that is (Na) sodium and (Cl) chlorine — clearly unsafe to digest. It is impossible for binded lead to become unbinded in the body, so its completely safe.

Lele215

why?

natalic
natalic

Didn’t work for me.

maralondon
maralondon

Huh, why would you go to lengths to lighten a part of your body that hardly gets exposure. Things are getting weirder by the moment.

Sarah Cass
Sarah Cass
Reply to  maralondon

because people don’t want dark arm pits??.… and because in the summer they do get exposure

Shria
Shria
Reply to  Sarah Cass

When you put nice dress and you parting. You are fully enjoying the party and then suddenly realize you got dark armpits. So at that time you just get stressed out. So I am going to try this. Thax for uploading this video.

MissGuin's Pen
MissGuin's Pen

No, no, no! Do not use lemon, it can burn your skin. Use a glycolic acid at night with sunscreen 15+ spf during the day. Anything that can lighten scars or skin means that you need to wear sunscreen because of the heightened rate of cell turnover in your skin.

I’d recommed alpha hydroxy brand.

RaCin à rOch ????
RaCin à rOch ????

Sorry : yutube

TheCurlyFitChic
TheCurlyFitChic

No. I would not do this to lighten my underarms. They are naturally lighter anyway. However, if they were darker I doubt I would care because I don’t care now.

Jajamamabear
Jajamamabear

I’m Mediterranean so I have darker olive skin. I also have nigrancanthosis which is darker pigments so I plan on trying bc being self conscious over this for the past 15 years is so fun.