[Video] The TODAY Show Did THE WORST Hair Makeover EVER on a Black Woman

Avatar • Aug 4, 2016

TODAY Show Beauty Expert Deepica Mutyala believes that any woman can style her hair for a quick summer updo in under a minute.  Mutyala attempted to prove her hypothesis by showcasing easy summer styles on women of different ethnicities and hair textures.

While I can’t say any of the styles were particularly impressive (the first model’s style was called “a rope twist”), the styling of the black model’s hair was no doubt the least impressive of the bunch. When asked about the seemingly intentional imperfect styling of the hair, Mutyala replied:

It’s actually not that trendy to be perfect.”

The insane thing is the model actually had a cute style to start, only to have it horrifically ‘made over’. Take a look for yourself:

Here’s the official video from The Today Show.

While we commend the TODAY show for their inclusivity in selecting the models for this segment, it’s clear Mutyala’s beauty expertise does not extend to the styling of black women’s hair.

What are your thoughts? Should we give Deepica Mutyala an A for effort or nah?

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

trackback

[…] Read more about this HERE […]

Marcy
Marcy

No A for effort — she needs to go learn how to style black hair before landing on a show doing a demo. Even if she was attempting a messy bun the least she could have done was catch the whole head of hair in a higher bun and pull out two ear tendrils.…fluff up the bun and keep it moving. Instead she left her looking like she passed through a wind storm…hair all jacked up…smh

Ann
Ann

I’d be pissed at hell she messed up my hair with that ugly updo. I don’t know any woman of color, black woman specifically who would go out in public with that do!! UG_ A_ LEE!!

ASPÆD Music
ASPÆD Music

lmao I can’t believe they did this lady like this. That “beauty expert” should be ashamed. That braid on the first girl was terrible. The second style was… as we can all see… an abomination. Idk what she was thinking, but that first hard pull after getting the girls natural hair in the pony tail… D33r L0rt, I knew it was gonna get worse.

jerzygirl45

Oooh, Deepica. You might need to turn in your beauty license. IF you have one.

Ocean
Ocean

It just got worse with every second! I know the woman in the chair was thinking “What the heck is happening?”. And then, when the “stylist” started tugging all roughly at the messy ponytail to make it tighter/fluffier (such a no-no in my opinion, very damaging if done regularaly).

cryssi
cryssi

This was hilariously bad

BK
BK

WHYYYYYYY.

Barbara
Barbara

I watched that show.….I remember her saying something about a side pony.…I must have turned away because she F’d her hair up! OMG!

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

The model’s face was like “wtf is she DOING????”

Nikki Griffin
Nikki Griffin

nah, she fucked that girl’s hair up if she claims she can do hair she should be able to do hair of all textures.

CoilySue86

She gets a nah from me. She is the reason my mom always told me growing up “you can’t let everybody play in your hair!”

Edwina@WINONA,INC.

No. She gets no sprinkles. Either you know what you’re doing or you don’t.

royalty_Iam
royalty_Iam

Or nah lmao

Shaniqua L.
Shaniqua L.

That would be “Or nah,” on the A for Effort question.

Lori Titilayo Wellman
Lori Titilayo Wellman

that was SO horrid! i’d bet that when the sistah saw how that so-called stylist made her look like she lost her scarf in the cotton field, she wanted to (said like Jill Scott in “Why Did I Get Married”) whoop…dat…A**!!

Krissyann
Krissyann

Yes her before look was so much better than the after.

Interested....
Interested....

If she can’t do all hair types, she doesn’t deserve to be called an “expert”. And her demonstration was far from expert worthy… The model’s hair looked better before she messed it up. Shame.…

T. Thomas
T. Thomas

That was painful to watch! OMG! She has no idea what she’s doing with natural hair…

sydney
sydney

What…the heck.

blessed
blessed

WHY?? And she continues to smile…

may
may

what the hell did she dooooo

theresa.
theresa.

It’s as if she wasn’t even trying to make it look good. What happened to that piece on the side she left out? She clearly just gave up in the middle of it.

CATalley
CATalley

I give her a nah, and a ha ha! It was actually funny, and I think the model thought so too! I think she may have done better had the segment been allowed more time.

MsNae Wrknonmines Perry
MsNae Wrknonmines Perry

Wow, I can’t believe she thought that style was acceptable lol…Can you say HOT MESS Smh

KnottyNatural

SMH.….

tuka
tuka

Hot mess!

Jacqueline Perry
Jacqueline Perry

The young lady’s hair was just FINE, before the “stylist” got her hands in it. WHAT was she thinking??? I hope that young lady checked a mirror before she went out.…..bad enough it was on NATIONAL TV ! !

Concerned_Natural83
Concerned_Natural83

All I got to say is this.….….. SHE CANNOT DO HAIR TO SAVE HER DAMN LIFE!!! What the heck was that????!!!!

Christina Guillot
Christina Guillot

She didn’t really do a good job on the Asian woman’s hair either, that braid look terrible. I have no idea what hairstyle she was trying to accomplish with the black woman’s hair, I love the style she had before.

Guest
Guest

That was painful to watch. That stylist has zero experience with natural textured hair. Personally, I wouldn’t attempt a 60 second hair makeover for any hair texture.

MoMo
MoMo

Bruh, she tried her xD

victoria colahar
victoria colahar

Definate nah she’s a terrible hairstylist

Kaila Jackson
Kaila Jackson

Nah.… That was just messed all the way up. There should have been a practice round or rehearsal, something before she got up there and made that model look like that in national television. She should know better, frfr. So, that’s a big NO from me on the “A for Effort” thing. Especially considering the fact that these were all supposed to be “effortless”. She gets an A for ZERO EFFORT.

Chung Cuc
Chung Cuc

Hells no. Girl could have achieved that look just rolling out of bed. LOL

zenny
zenny

She was rushed for time, that East Asian girls head looked a mess too. I think I understand what look she was going for, but her bangs look too long for a pebbles from the flinstones kind of look.

Fabihan Khan
Fabihan Khan

terrible stylist, i would not even trust her with my poodles tail

Alison N
Alison N

My six year old styles my hair better than that…

Melilew
Melilew

Yeah, it was painful to watch…more so because I used to do that very thing in my early days. Even the host was like”…let’s keep this moving”, lol.

Destiny Fulfilled
Destiny Fulfilled

It’s gonna be a NAH for me dawg (in my Randy Jackson Voice).…that shxt was a HOTMESS EXPRESS ????????But, the model is beautiful and handled it w/poise!

MzDavis
MzDavis

I’m with you. She could not even walk out the house to go to the gym with that mess on her head. Looked like a 2 year old did her hair

MalikaiDragonSlayer
MalikaiDragonSlayer

I consider this bodily harm.

LBell
LBell

I watched this thinking it was going to be as bad or worse than that Buzzfeed makeovers video in which they truly jacked up the black girl’s hair. Honestly, it wasn’t. It was a 4‑minute segment on national TV and after spending so much time gathering the back up into a puff, she missed a layer. Yes, I agree it was the worst of the three, and the Asian model’s hair wasn’t that much better. But to go from that to “she can’t do black women’s hair!” is a bit of a stretch IMO.

indigo9
indigo9

if you can’t do it, stay in ya lane!

Karma Houdini
Karma Houdini

This was actually embarassing to watch…and all of the models’ “hairstyles” looked crazy, she just messed the black woman’s up the worst. I’ve seen better twisted ponytails on my 8 year old neice after an hour on the playground.

Mikelle Rogers
Mikelle Rogers

First off what is with black people letting other people touched there f****** hair! Then she just sat there looking dumb as f*** with a smile on her face. She look like she just rolled out of bed after tossin, turnin and sleeping on her hair all night.…Thats just straight up disrepectful to bring her on national TV and do something like that. Was this black woman under the impression that she knew what the f*** she was doing!???

lily
lily
Reply to  Mikelle Rogers

she probably HAD to smile –’

Guest
Guest

Smh.. Okay, so now that she fucked up my girl’s beautiful hair, a REAL hairstylist who SPEACIALIZES IN NATURAL HAIR needs to find that clown and school her on how to properly style it.

Neffei
Neffei

Wow wth was that.. thats a perfect reason why i DO NOT LET ANYONE TOUCH MY HAIR.

April Smith
April Smith

To be fair all of her hairstyles were terrible not just the one mentioned.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

According to the model, the stylist and her practised the style before and got it right. Unfortunately, they only gave a few segments to work on a TV segment. This led to a nervous, rushed, sloppy job. The stylist meant no harm.

S Michelle Brown
S Michelle Brown

Indeed, all three hairstyles were a hot mess!!

Panther Charleston
Panther Charleston

OMG. I feel so bad for the stylist. But what super kills me is ain’t nothing about that stylist 60 seconds. Honey, she probably spent 60 minutes beating her own face. And, yes, all those styles were a mess. She probably would have been better off by twisting the brown sister’s hair and letting the white sister’s hair do the side-hang. And the Asian sister, she left all that scalp showing. Mercy me. If that’s talent, they need to book me next week.

Monicatoby
Monicatoby

I felt bad for the model, with the way she kept pulling that part she put in the elastic band. I doubt that it was comfortable. The front part being pulled down sure didn’t work. Had she left the front how it was, it wouldn’t have been too bad. I don’t think she knew how to do textured, natural, hair. It’s a different animal than straight hair and trying to treat it like straight hair just doesn’t work.

ldstep
ldstep

This woman just wanted to get ‘face time’ on TV. Well she got it.….…horrible stylist. She did a poor job on all of the models. But the black female has a really nice, cute style before this idiot started grabbing, tugging and just totally mangling her hairstyle. Next time maybe the producers on the ‘Today Show’ will properly research the ‘fake’ stylist they bring on the show. Embarrassing and disrespectful.

Marhya Martin
Marhya Martin

She can’t put a pony tail in the right way maybe if she didn’t have them nails on she would have done better she could’ve gave the Asian girl a bun in under 60seconds 2 braids for the black girl done a second twist in the white girls hair and put the tails in a ponytail with a bun and the hell with her own hair .… But she didn’t and should not have a license

Iraizehell
Iraizehell

Lmao that was horrible

Linda Brown Smith
Linda Brown Smith
Reply to  Iraizehell

That hair do is a hair don’t. It looks downright stupid.

Charlene
Charlene

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! She jacked homegirl’s hair UP!!! ?????

ticha st.fleur
ticha st.fleur

Lol poor lil girl.she prbly reading thru the comments right now.if she acted a fool on national television everyone was gonna brand her as a crazy black woman but because she just laughed it off after that “stylist” tried to scalp her with her bare hands u wanna call her stupid.its a no win situation lol.

Mary
Mary

I think maybe an ‘E’ for ‘effort’ lol she should be arrested for that ???

curleedst
curleedst

The model took it like a champ but the “stylist” is clearly a hack!

Janesha Doe
Janesha Doe

It’s a cute style if she’s about to go workout or make a quick run to the gas station.…otherwise, no ma’am.

Tyler Hutchinson
Tyler Hutchinson

Omg ??? the way she was yanking her hair

Tynnetta
Tynnetta

So this is why that Indian lady had all those black girls on her youtube channel teaching her about black hair. She got bashed for this awful looking hairstyle. I literally laughed out loud when she was done. Like that poor woman.

Tennille
Tennille

She should not only be ashamed but she needs to apologize to that model and to everyone that watched that show.. that was terrible and she should never be able to do hair as long as she lives..

Bonita
Bonita

I’m sorry but that natural hair do turned into a natural hair don’t. The models hair was great before the socall make over. It’s obvious she needs more skills working with natural hair.

Jaye Howard
Jaye Howard

That so-called “stylist” was WACK!!!! She NEVER should have attempted to style that woman’s hair if she didn’t know what she was doing… (as evidenced by the video tape!!!) #SitDown

Jaye Howard
Jaye Howard

Just watched that hair brutality again… ABSOLUTELY AWFUL…

Michtou
Michtou

I don’t know who decided that bed hair looks good. It doesn’t look casual, it looks a mess.

Sam
Sam

Yes thats right this is bodily harm. It’s bloody awful!

Jessy
Jessy

That model smiled like a real champion lol! She deserves an award for those acting skills. I would have looked so annoyed.