Stylist Refuses Service to Woman Due to “Bad Vibes”, Charges a Fee Anyway

Avatar • Jul 21, 2016

Recently, Kacey of the Black Alley Band posted about a less than stellar experience she had with a popular DMV/Atlanta hair braider. In her post, she recalls being asked to leave via text by Nisa’s (@nisaraye) assistant because she was not comfortable completing her service due to catching a “bad vibe” from her and was told that she would be charged a late fee, even though she was on time for her appointment.

13724103_10101504478474884_5242177804796069568_o

Nisa passively responded in a now deleted Instagram video, stating that she has a right to refuse service to anyone that she does not feel comfortable around. As an artist, she feeds off energy and does not feel that she should be subjected to negative energy, especially when it does not have anything to do with her. She then posted this picture, restating her right to refuse service:

While we understand that energy and bad vibes are a very real thing, it doesn’t seem fair to charge someone a fee that doesn’t even apply. Also, the level of professionalism comes into play when running a business — you may not always like your clients, but you’re there to complete a service, not be best friends. Refusing to discuss the situation with someone while kicking them out doesn’t exactly scream good customer service. *We reached out to Nisa for comment, but have not heard back at the time this post was published.

What do you think, BGLH readers? Should stylists stop doing a person’s hair based off of emotions?

Justice S
Justice S

I get bad vibes at my job all the time but I work with them and I don’t say anything because it’s my job.And charging her for two braids really…

Lola Rose
Lola Rose

Nah you can’t to HALF a head and then decide you don’t want to do it. Thats messed up. I hope her business suffers tbh.

Rose
Rose

This story, and the many experiences I’ve had a salons, are the exact reason why I now have locs and interlock my own hair. When I was a loose natural, it was a real job and chore to find someone who knows how to do basic things to my hair like detangle and give a real hair cut/ shape, not just yanking a comb through my hair and randomly cutting layers into my fro. I will not be paying top dollar for the stank attitudes that many stylists have. On top of that, so few are knowledgeable about kinky 4c… Read more »

theresa.
theresa.

Really? I can understand refusing service to someone for a legitimate reason, but to stop midway through because of a bad vibe AND charge a late fee? That’s ridiculous

PinkyPie15
PinkyPie15

Fool. Ish. Her job is to interact with tons of people with all kinds of vibes. I wish the stylist would explain how she felt uncomfortable enough to send a lady out with her head half done, because she sounds mega sensitive+petty x2.

K_
K_

this story is very strange, what bad vibe did she pick up after doing two braids that she didnt pick up before she started ?? and how bad could a vibe be from someone coming to get their hair braided? and what did the lady step out the room for? before continuing on i was under the impression she had just arrived not had already sat down for two braids? and why and how did she charge a late fee? i wouldnt have paid a thing with 2 braids in my hair. does this lady only take credit cards? dispute… Read more »

StreetTrash
StreetTrash
Reply to  K_

Yeah, I’m hella confused! Just don’t make sense!

cth4
cth4

Yes we are spirit beings and some people are able to discern. However, on earth, Jesus left no one because they had wrong and He knew all. This is where prayer and faith comes in! We have different levels of strength in being able to handle things through faith. Not taking sides but, maybe this is a sign for the stylist, what does she needs to work on/at?!! Who knows, the client maybe was there for a more divine reason, either side. YEAH A PREACHING MOMENT! But I felt I needed to share. And to the nonbelievers…I’m inclusive bc Christianity… Read more »

bumper UK
bumper UK
Reply to  cth4

Oh please! Being a christian has no bearing on the case. If you are running a business serving the public you need to be professional end of! I notice her ‘discerning’ spirit and conscience didn’t stop her charging the customer.

cth4GiG
cth4GiG
Reply to  bumper UK

Apparently not Christian, I never once stated that this is a reflection of a Christian. Spirituality has all to do with humans and what we know as vibes. They are either good or evil. Period.Didnt mean to offend you! But truth be told there is a lot people dont understand about vibes. I would love a moment to help you understand the real truth!!!!

Abigail Landsbrook
Abigail Landsbrook

I doubt it was you or any “bad vibe” you gave off. I think the problem was that the hairdresser was simply jealous of you. I’ve had horrible luck with them and have felt like they were intentionally trying to make me look less attractive. They were all women.
Now I have a gay male hairdresser and I love, love, love him and his assistant.
It’s not you; you were just too gorgeous for her!

Ivie9ja
Ivie9ja

This is disgusting and something that a friend and I were just discusding about when it comes to supporting black owned businesses. I have a lot of really bad experiences we CERTAINLY need to do better. My friend is a staunch beliver in still frequenting establishments with horrible service she said we need to stick together but i have a hard time being treated as if I’m recieving the goods and services for free

shay fi
shay fi
Reply to  Ivie9ja

you aint never lied!!!! I try so hard to support black owned businesses and every single time i am so disappointed.

MyFluffyPuffs

You want to support everyone and sometimes they just don’t appreciate it!

bumper UK
bumper UK

The stylist is an idiot! If you are running a professional establishment there is no excuse (apart from being verbally or physically abused) for not completing a customer’s hair. We all come across people we don’t particularly like in our working life but we remain professional. The mumbo jumbo excuse she gave is what gives black people a bad name. I can’t tell when last I went to a hair salon as I cannot be doing with all the drama. If I was the customer I would stop payment on my card.

TWA4now
TWA4now

It’s unprofessional. Bad vibe or NOT!

StreetTrash
StreetTrash

She’s a dumbass if she gave that broad any money!

SweetT
SweetT

I hate it when people get defensive instead of addressing legitimate criticism. She didn’t answer the real questions: why weren’t the “bad vibes” present when the woman sat down? And how you gon arbitrarily decide to charge a late fee? 1. I would contact the credit card company or PayPal or whomever she charged me through and dispute the transaction. Then I would contact the Better Business Bureau and/or the state board that she is licensed through and file a complaint. And I would leave a negative Yelp review in addition to telling anyone who would listen about my awful… Read more »

trackback

[…] the stylist in question isn’t backing down. According to Black Girl Long Hair, NisaRaye responded to Kacey’s post with an Instagram video explaining she has a right to […]

eljjai
eljjai

A perfect example of why even as we stand together we can’t be blindly supporting sht. This woman is a disgrace and I would put her ass all the way on blast for the foolery.

Mary
Mary

As the saying goes, “She who laughs last laughs best.” Since the stylist has refused to respond to the story, my comment is based on the expectation that a person who had good reasons for doing what she did would defend her reputation. Since there is no apparent reasonable explanation for the stylists actions, I hope this customer stopped payment or disputed any charges on her credit card. By refusing to complete the services requsted, the stylist did not honor the agreement she had with the customer and she is not entitled to payment. If it were me, I would… Read more »