Tyra Banks ‘Tyra Beauty’ is Being Slammed as a Multi-Level Marketing Scheme, Here’s Why

Avatar • Jun 22, 2016

In 2014, Tyra Banks created her cosmetics brand, Tyra Beauty. Banks has been in the modeling and beauty industry since 15, so it only made sense that, like supermodel Iman before her, she would create her own beauty brand. Except while Iman’s brand is considered one of the world’s best luxury cosmetics brands for women of color in the world, Tyra Beauty has been slammed by critics for having scammy undertones.

Much like the mother of woman-oriented multi-level marketing businesses, Mary Kay, Tyra Beauty allows women to become “beautytainers” who can be their own boss and have their own company. She says all the right things on her website;

Two years ago, I graduated from Harvard Business School’s three-year Owner/President Management Program. So many people were like, “Why the heck did TYRA go back to school?!” I can finally let you in on my secret! I attended Harvard to build and lead my cosmetics business. TYRA Beauty is a 100% self-funded startup. My dream is to create a legacy brand that gives everyone access to become an entrepreneur.”- Tyra.com

However, what she doesn’t tell you is this.…

Beautytainers receive 25 percent of the retail selling price of items they sell either through their personalized Beautytainer websites or through in-person consultations, with a 5 percent bonus for selling $500 to $999 in a month (a whopping $27.50) and a 10 percent bonus for selling $1,000 in a month.

The real money to be made comes through recruiting new Beautytainers to your “crew.” Beautytainers move up levels (called Bronzer, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, all the way up to a sixth level called Yellow Diamond) based on their sales, the amount of Beautytainers they recruit below them, and the combined sales of their team. Each level promises larger bonuses and a larger portion of the sales of those below you. A Yellow Diamond Beautytainer, the highest level, will have a team with a number of Platinum and Bronzer level members enrolled below them and bring in a total of $200,000 in combined sales from their team members. Tyra Beauty also gives high-performing Beautytainers “the Hook Up”—25 percent of the company’s online retail volume not sold through Beautytainers. If a Beautytainer doesn’t make her sales goals for the month, or her team doesn’t bring in enough cash, she risks losing her spot in the hierarchy and having her account deactivated.” — Vice.com

With Tyra Beauty, you are more likely to lose money. But Tyra Banks will make money regardless of whether or not you sell anything because “beautytainers” pay a $59 initial fee and then must purchase an $80 basic starter kit or a $139 “beyond basic” starter package.

Her beauty business sounds like so many other schemes that friends and family have tried to sell me on over the years. I can’t tell you how many relatives and friends I’ve seen lose money over pyramid schemes that are disappointingly similar to Tyra Beauty. It also seems like Tyra Banks is marketing Tyra Beauty to young millenials. She often posts on Instagram and Twitter about the brand, putting sign-up links in her bio to attract more women into becoming #BossBabes.

FullSizeRender (59)

FullSizeRender (57)

I’m all for black women building empires, but it seems that Tyra Banks is building on shaky ground. She claims to want women to be accomplished, financially secure and feel empowered, yet she seems to be doing the exact opposite with her business practices.

Ladies, what are you thoughts?

cryssi
cryssi

Wow, but this seems to be a trend. Exploit your fans to get ahead. I was just fooled into purchasing a wig from MyFirstWig.com because of a blogger I trusted. What I got in the mail was a completely different hideous and itchy thing. When I commented on her account asking why? I was attacked and called a bitter troll, when I’m the one who lost over $200. You guys just did an article about the deception with that new eyeshadow from the bloggers and vloggers. All of this step on someone else to get ahead has me feeling like… Read more »

shay fi
shay fi
Reply to  cryssi

but with tyra’s product you get what you are paying for, not a deceptive product… your situation, sad as it is, isn’t relevant to this particular issue.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  cryssi

I’m so glad you were able to recoup your MONEY back…some never get THEIR money. Manny are not able to CONTACT a real PERSON at their customer service department or just emails go unanswered. I’m glad it worked out FOR YOU !

aiych
aiych

ever since her bizarre typeF video about “natural hair” I’ve side eyed her. Reminds me of Donald Trump as far as business goes…

Gigi_naturalhairOG
Gigi_naturalhairOG

In life you are given opportunities. Those models had their opportunity to shine… Or dim out. Look at Eva, she made something of it. Tyra is not obligated to hold anyone’s hand through eternity. Sorry bitter Bettys. We should be uplifting Tyra and each other. Its not a scheme, its makeup and opportunity. Either like it, buy it, or move on.

Jack
Jack

If I were into that kind of business (beauty, makeup) I rather go into something where I got a bigger cut/better deal. These type of businesses (multilevel marketing, pyramid schemes) the only people that really make money are the people on top. I rather support and uplift other types of businesses, ones that have better opportunities for their employees.

TWA4now
TWA4now

We need to take a deeper look and research it for ourselves. Different people have different motives and values. Not everyone has good intentions or GOOD business practices at surface value. Yes, model after them but research and empower yourself. Keep the meat spit.out the bones. Everything is not what it appears. Naturally, there are requirements for everything.

scribe drizz
scribe drizz

Yellow Diamond? SMH. I care more about Steven Universe Season 3 than Tyra’s makeup line.

Guest
Guest

I don’t know why, but I find this whole thing hilarious. Tyra is crazy for this, lol.
I’m sorry ya, forgive me.

eljjai
eljjai

Tyra has always been short on brain and big on vanity. Reminds me of a girl I knew. She always been a hack and unable to realize it.
Although I did like the first few seasons of ANTM.

eljjai
eljjai

the point is that Tyra’s business is exactly like them.

Nyla

The truth is her beauty products are great. I use them myself, and even though they are imo expensive, they’re worth it. I’ve been using various makeup brands since I was 14, and I’ve yet to find anything equal in quality or results as the Tyra Beauty line — not even designer, well-established brands. And that’s saying a lot. That being said, I think her Beautytainer gig is a sham. You only make 25% commission, and you get a 10% bonus if you sell $1,000+ in a month. That means if you sell $1,000 worth of product for Tyra, you’d… Read more »

Alexis Diaz-Morales
Reply to  Nyla

comment image Thank you for backing us up! Ive been a beautytainer for a month now and i loveeee #TyraBanks and #TyraBeauty. It is a lot of work and dedication but i know ill eventually get there. I am in the process of getting the word out there and im trying to build my clientele and hopefully a team. Im a man who loves makeup! If anyone reads this please follow me on Instagram and FB. (TheGlamAdonis) also my tyra site is http://Www.tyra.com/theglamadonis we currently have 10% discount on everything code: Apprentice during check out.

jane
jane

You have to watch this… Multi-level marketing schemes are exactly that: a scheme.

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  jane

WRONG, a scheme DOES NOT have products. MLM is brilliant and I know many people making $10K+ month 2–3 years in by sharing what they love with those they know. I personally pay my mortgage and BMW payment with my business earnings. these posts are so wrong but you can lead a horse to water but.….….….…SMH

alison fields
alison fields
Reply to  Nyla

I totally agree Nyla. I see many women participate in companies that sell boutique clothing and earn 15% to 25% when it is very simple to start your own. Get wholesale clothing and sell them retail and charge 3x the price and you make better money…

Mary
Mary

The business model described in this article is nothing new. Well known companies, such as Avon, Mary Kay, Herbalife, Nature’s Sunshine and hoards of other well known and lesser known companies use this multi-level marketing structure. So, is there something that I missed that made Tyra’s program different from these?

Laura
Laura

Isn’t it just cheaper to enroll as a beautytainer than buying it from a beautytainer just to get the makeup cheaper? I mean for personal use. Buy enough to last a while at a discounted price if you use makeup daily like I do.

Amanda
Amanda

Wow, just wow! MLM is the best business model on the planet and does allow people to have their own business without the huge startup costs. Read The Four Year career and you’ll ‘get it’. It is lack of education about the business model that needs to be understood.

Amy
Amy
Reply to  Amanda

The undisputed fact is: 99.1% of people lose moneybags in MLm’s. The products are over priced because so many people “above” you make no commmission.
YOu are 100% wrong that MLM a good a do business structure.

Amy
Amy
Reply to  Amanda

I mean the people above you make commission so therefore the products are over priced.

Pamela Bennett
Pamela Bennett

This article is bullshit and it’s bogus. Mary Kay has been in business over 50 years doing the same thing. A black woman does it and now it’s a problem. What’s the difference?? There isn’t a difference. #middlefingerup

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Pamela Bennett

Girl Mary Kay is a problem too! Have you not seen the multiple articles written over the years saying this.