Model Jazzma Kendrick Dumps, Then Returns to Italian Boyfriend After His Racist Remarks

Avatar • Jun 2, 2016

Recently, black model Jazzma Kendrick broke up with her boyfriend, retired Italian soccer player, Christian Vieri, for spewing racist remarks.  She publicized the incident in the following tweets:
jazzma tweet
At first, I applauded her for taking a respectable, zero-tolerance stance against racism in an interracial relationship.  However, she returned to her boyfriend days later.

Jazzma Kendrick and Christian Vieri (prior to break up). Source: https://twitter.com/vieri_bobo

As a black woman who is in an interracial marriage, I cannot see myself having tolerated a racist comment from my husband while we were dating. It would have been a deal breaker because that kind of mentality is ingrained and does not change overnight. It just doesn’t. If anything, my husband shut down racist comments during our dating stage. I specifically remember one time we were out for lunch when he spoke up to some individuals who were happily discussing racist cartoons from back in the day.
On the other hand, every relationship is different — including every interracial relationship.  Some women stand by the phrase “once a cheater, always a cheater”. Others are able to forgive and overcome one instance of infidelity. For some, one verbal insult from a partner is a deal breaker. For others, if the partner promises to never utter such a word(s) again, then the relationship goes on.
I will admit that I’ve stayed in (non-interracial) relationships where I was called “out of my name”. Those relationships didn’t work out, and perhaps the insults were indicators of the increasing level of disrespect that caused them to fizzle. So, perhaps Kendrick has opened the door to Vieri disrespecting her further? Or maybe, he will truly change for the better? Only they know.
Jazzma and Vieri

Source: https://twitter.com/jazzma

Is a racist comment a deal breaker for an interracial relationship?  Share your thoughts!

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Justice S
Justice S

If someone calls me out my name period that’s a deal breaker.

darhleenglisi
darhleenglisi
Reply to  Justice S

A) True B) Perhaps she should not have had this argument in social media. She looks nuts now.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

Wait, we are now calling these Taz Angels girls “models” now? LOL Chile… y’all need to do a Google search on Taz Angels and then you will understand why she took him back and that’s all I am saying. This really does not warrant yet another think piece. The answer to why she took him back is very simple smh.

Guest
Guest

Wait, she’s a Taz Angel ?? Wow lol

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Guest

Oh yes, or should I say former Taz’s angel. It seems like she left them when she hooked with this Italian millionaire.

Courtney
Courtney

To be honest, your assessment of her career has nothing to do the validity of this piece. Just because she isn’t the type of model you’d have her to be, she is no less entitled to respect than you are. As racial matters are an ongoing issue, why shouldn’t this be another think piece? It presents race in the context of intimate relationships, and provides insight. Also, there are more complex issues at play than your ‘simple’ or ‘no brainer’ assessment as to why she continued her relationship.

theresa.
theresa.

What a shame. How does she know that he doesn’t think of her the same way

Mo

The way she described it thought — “get away from anyone who tries to bring you down verbally” — sounds like this guy REALLY went off on the deep, racist rant, end. All I can say is, if this happens, which given white peoples track record and how racist Italians can be there’s a big chance it will, she can’t claim to be shocked when it does happen again. This guy sounds abusive (and racist) and sounds like he’s testing how far he can go, she’s taken him back already so why would/should he truly change? This is why I’ve… Read more »

Bebe
Bebe
Reply to  Mo

This is why I’ve NEVER dated white men — majority of them made racist comments and the few that didn’t seem to have no regard/respect for my personal space.

You must not date anyone cause all men are disrespecting black women these days!

Reply to  Bebe

Actually, I’ve been in a relationship for almost 4 years but go ahead and assume away!

lis
lis
Reply to  Mo

But Black men also say racist and s exist things to Black women but you haven’t sworn off of them have you.

Reply to  lis

And you lost me with your assumptions because NOWHERE did I say that “black men are completely and total exempt from being racists and sexists” which sounds like my comment was your cue to start dragging black men into this article. I also never swore off white men (yet, white men are not as great as most people try to make them out to be), I said “that’s why I’ve never dated white men” meaning every white guy that approached me said/did something offensive…there is a difference. This article wasn’t about BLACK MEN — it’s SPECIFICALLY about a black woman… Read more »

lis
lis
Reply to  Mo

Anyone in this country for 2minutes know about white arrogance and racism.please…noone excused anything.come again.

Love
Love
Reply to  Mo

I agree with you Mo. Whenever i read an article about relationships black woman always talking negatively about black men. As a black woman who date interracial i will never talk negatively about black men. At the end of the day if you are a black woman your father, brother, even if your kids are mix they will still consider black. So you putting them down also. Look at President Obama even though he was a excellent president all the hate and disrespectful him and his wife went through because he’s black. They all were coming from white people. At… Read more »

Reply to  lis

And nobody said anything about black men but you, meaning you were waiting for anyone to say something negative about RACIST white men to counter with that nonsense. Also, nobody said anything about exempting racist/sexist black men so, again, where are you getting his nonsense from? I’m taking it you didn’t read my post correctly, if at all. I have a bf whose neither black or white so what does THAT say about me since you’re in the assuming mood?

dcblackman
dcblackman
Reply to  lis

What do black men have to do with this article? Your comments are ridiculous.

Guest
Guest
Reply to  dcblackman

Because Black Men are the biggest haters of Black Women.

Esha the Diva
Esha the Diva
Reply to  lis

Exactly lol I hate to say I have experienced more racism in my life and attacks on my skin color from black men not white men smh

S. Williams
S. Williams
Reply to  lis

thank you! cus saying “you black a$$ biihh” from ANY MAN is racist and degrading. too many people loyal to color instead of loyal to the person he/she is. respect me period

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  lis

What does this article have to do with black men tho??? Jesus!!! Some of you Swirl fanatics are too much smh I cannot.

Janessa Brown
Janessa Brown
Reply to  lis

Well said so why give our own a pass also.

CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore
Reply to  Mo

I wouldn’t even consider dating a white man either. He could be calling me all kinds of ni**er *itch everyday in his mind. Some black women comparing black men disrespect to that of a white man seriously? Our common struggle, culture can overcome gender issues. But a white man and their entitled arrogant nature could never understand me as Black woman. Plus black men are sexy alpha male, white men not at all imo.

lis
lis
Reply to  CurlsGalore

Alpha males?…where?.on the courts or rapping?..because they have dark skin?…but how can i be surprised because you think black males calling Black women and hoes are ok…Your parents failed you…anyhow.…how are black men alphas when they control nothing?

Guest
Guest

See, this is why people need to stop SHARING everything on social media. Now she looks like a fool. Which one is it, once is a deal breaker or the third or fourth time is a deal breaker? She’s going to regret publicly airing this. Their relationship will never be the same.

lovely
lovely

She is dumb to publicly call the guy a racist then get back together. Now she will be the model dating the racist. Think before you tweet. I can’t even call they guy racist since she didn’t even say what he said but he should dump her for even putting him out their like that and

Kiera Brown
Kiera Brown

I think you should change the name of the website. For the past months the articles have been nothing but news in pop culture, not natural hair. There is nothing wrong with news but when the title of the website is totally misleading to viewers, that’s where it crosses the line.

JR
JR
Reply to  Kiera Brown

I agree, there’s hardly any natural hair updates. Definitely miss the old BGLH

Yemi
Yemi
Reply to  Kiera Brown

+1. In fairness to BGLH, they did announce a few years ago that they were going in a different direction and branching out into topics beyond natural hair which, given how incredibly saturated that niche has become, makes sense. I agree that the name can be misleading to newer readers unfamiliar with the transition but it’s probably too late in the game for a name change.

A better compromise might be to add a tagline of some sort that sums up what this site is all about (a natural hair, news and lifestyle blog?) so people aren’t confused.

Esha the Diva
Esha the Diva
Reply to  Kiera Brown

There are plenty of companies more “misldeading” than this site lol I hope you post comments like this on their pages as well smh ridiculous to suggest they are being deceptive when there are bigger fish to fry in that department.

dwntomars
dwntomars
Reply to  Kiera Brown

Agreed.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  Kiera Brown

There’s so much information about natural available now. This isn’t 2008.

Jack
Jack
Reply to  Kiera Brown

They have plenty of article about hair.

good2bfree
good2bfree
Reply to  Kiera Brown

I feel the same way.

JustSaying
JustSaying
Reply to  Kiera Brown

There are plenty articles on hair. Check the archives. Also, BGLH does a great job at covering hair topics as necessary. How many articles can the site put up about the same topics??? It was honestly getting repetitive. The way I see it is there are two parts to the name of the website: Black Girl and Long Hair. Right now BGLH is covering the black girl part and I feel they have done and continue doing a good job on the long hair aspect as well. Good job BGLH!

bumper
bumper

what does ‘call me out my name’ mean?

Nycole
Nycole
Reply to  bumper

To use an insult in the place of someone’s name. Example: Calling someone a bitch.

Marvellous Marv
Marvellous Marv
Reply to  bumper

All the adjectives women are called other than their birth name.

Jack
Jack
Reply to  bumper

When someone calls another a name other than their name, an insult (b*itch, hoe, stupid, etc…).

bumper UK
bumper UK
Reply to  Jack

Thanks for the explanation. We don’t use that term in the UK.

Dee Hines
Dee Hines
Reply to  bumper

it means using a derogatory word toward a person. Typically it’s calling someone a b*tch.

Yemi
Yemi

I’ve dated and am currently dating interracially. Racist comments are totally a dealbreaker for me, as is a lack of awareness about or understanding of racial issues, mostly because I don’t care to be anyone’s teacher. This woman is being foolish. I don’t know anything about these people but a cursory Google search shows that her man was accused of making racist remarks when he played football so if she thinks this was a one-time thing said out of anger, she’s mistaken. Besides, a partner who insults you during a fight is not a partner you want; it is possible… Read more »

Esha the Diva
Esha the Diva

Just want to say I

Esha the Diva
Esha the Diva

I love that the site posts on more than just black hair obviously the writers are branding out to cover all things that effect the lives of black women. As for this girl Shea gorgeous I don’t blame her for calling him out publicly. As for taking him back I don’t think she looks like a fool we don’t know what promises he has made to fix his way of thinking and his treatment of her or whether or not her can keep him. If this happens 2 more times and she takes him back that’s another story. Side bar:… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita

Why does it matter what his race is? Why let anyone disrespect you? I have dated guys of different races and nationalities and no one has ever called me any kind of name that I recall. I can only think of one time I have called a guy I was dating a name. I told him he was an a‑hole after broke my heart but mostly because he stiffed me on money he owed me. I knew he could easily pay me if he wanted to. He agreed with me that he was an asshole and a year later called… Read more »

Lifeisgood!
Lifeisgood!

That’s interesting that we get offended about racist comments — that are probably about black men and not us — but laugh off sexist statements all the time. Is one better than the other ?

lis
lis

Alpha males? Where? Where or What do they control, innovate, lead?

Tanaquil
Tanaquil

Is a racist comment a deal breaker for an interracial relationship?” Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Not even for inter-racial relationships. All types. Because we all know that Black people can be racist against their kind.

Mo

I never said “I wouldn’t consider dating a white man” — I said “that’s why I have never dated white men” in reference to the reasons why: racist comments and sexist behavior. And you can keep the alpha males, regardless of race, they tend to have problems with women establishing themselves as humans worthy of respect.

Mo

Thank you! I’m starting to think some of these commenters have never really known white men, like grew up and lived in a large white community which I have and that’s why I’m not going to make a big deal about them because they’re NOT a big deal.

Done
Done

Yes, let’s comment on and editorialize a relationship we are not a part of. Especially since we’ve had relationships where we were called called b’s and c_nts, and tolerated both sexist and racist comments from our black partners and didn’t move on right then and there (and stay gone). You know all the ridiculous things black men can spew about whites, Asians, middle easterners, and even gays.

Yes, let’s all now jump on this woman and start the judgment fest.

bumper
bumper

Ok — thanks for the explanation. We don’t use that expression in the UK.

dcblackman
dcblackman

test

oldfatmotherfucker
oldfatmotherfucker

That would be a deal breaker for me because it shows how you really feel. I’m not talking about something petty, I’m talking about somebody saying something actually racist to me. I understand that some people are just ignorant or may not consider something racist that I consider racist and those types of situations can be worked through, but if somebody that I’m with says something hateful to me of a racial nature, we are done.

Janet Holmes
Janet Holmes

Where are her family, true friends to scold,and school her on such matter that involves self respect , dignity , and morals because clearly she lacks all three.. the moment that pos utter the slightest comment about her race. She should have given him a quicker than lighting kick to the curb, and permanently rid herself of that recessive parasite.

Marvellous Marv
Marvellous Marv

I guess she’ll say she loves him and he visa versa,why she’s back with him. Good luck to them!

Lou
Lou

She should run. There is no future with such a man.
Eventually, he’ll racially abuse their children.