Back in the Day Steph Curry’s Sister Sydel Addressed People Who Erased Her Family’s Blackness

Avatar • May 12, 2016

Golden State Warriors basketball player Steph Curry is a household name (only bested by his ridiculously cute daughter, Riley) but apparently for some reason (we’re assuming it’s the color of his skin), folks have been mislabeling Curry and his family as bi-racial.
Back in 2013 Curry’s sister, Sydel Curry, set the record straight in a couple tweets.

When another Twitter user inquired what the family was “mixed with”, Curry let them know they’re just black with light skin.

Yet somehow, folks still didn’t get the memo, tweets as recent as three days ago still mistake the ball player as being biracial.

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.22.01 PM

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.15.28 PM

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.12.35 PM

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 12.16.38 PM
And for reference here are a few of the Curry family photos:

I mean did you see this?
curry family photo
Fresh white tall tees in the family photo? It doesn’t get any blacker than this!

Make no mistake, the Currys are black and proud.

Kayla V.

Does his mom age, though?!

jazmine
jazmine
Reply to  Kayla V.

Yea

merry
merry

Black and proud? They are all very light.

Sometimes when every generation of a family is light, I tend to believe people are deliberately choosing lighter skinned partners.

How can u be black and proud but only love people who are in fact barely black? Except the dad, they could all pass a paper bag test.

MsYBBG
MsYBBG
Reply to  merry

Who says they only love light? And why are they diminished for being light and Black. You know Africa produces many skin tones, hair and eye colors. You can’t determine how black a person is by phenotype.

Return the Stone
Return the Stone
Reply to  merry

I dont think it’s about shade it’s just about the ethnicity, my mom is light skin and so is my brother I’m pretty sure they would pass a brown paper bag test but it’s not like they would mark “mixed” or “lightskin” when it comes to applying for a job.

justno
justno
Reply to  merry

please, stop.

-proud light-skinned BLACK WOMAN with a dark father and dark fiancé who finds you absolutely ridiculous and totally 1940 with your paper bag reference. you are a part of the PROBLEM.

r u surprised
r u surprised
Reply to  merry

this is nothing new…has been going on since…

NoTime4Bimbos
NoTime4Bimbos

His mother is “Creole” and his father is “African American”

Ontell Kwisatz Haderach Babbit
Ontell Kwisatz Haderach Babbit
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

right …so black and black

Peju Ayemojuba
Peju Ayemojuba
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

I don’t live in the US so I’m quite confused. Is creole “black”?? What I’ve heard is that is a mixed of french, spanish / Native American but I also heard that its just another term for biracial?? :/

S?e??? R????
S?e??? R????
Reply to  Peju Ayemojuba

from what u said it sounds like mixed to be. its quite confusing. they’re blacks, creoles and yet they’re still another group of mixed people? someone needs to do their homework and stop with all these catagories.

MéliMélo
MéliMélo
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

Creole in its original meaning just meant people of French, European descent who were born in North America, that’s how they distinguished themselves from people who just came from France or Gabon. So you had black creole, white creole etc… it had nothing to do with biology, it was just a cultural definition, because even if they were white of French descent, they spoke creole French, which was mixed up with English, Spanish, different african languages, while a French person from France would struggle to understand. Anyway that’s what I learned from my French education.

Reply to  MéliMélo

You are spot on. The term Creole at least for the Lousiana was not originally connected to race but it seems to have evolved into it. I have read books and seen documentaries about rich white LA plantation families who called themselves Creoles because they were people of French descent born in the New World. Some of these people were the first generation to be born in the Americas and had no African ancestry yet they were considered Creole. I think of Creole as more of a cultural thing. I know a wide spectrum of people who are LA Creole… Read more »

Autumn Myles
Autumn Myles

Imma just vome out n say it: HIS MAMA LOOK DARK WHITE. She literally looks like a tanned white woman…

Hyro
Hyro
Reply to  Autumn Myles

This is ridiculous! She said they are mixed with nothing, how would they describe their mom then? Black? Some times it’s hard to tell someone’s race from appearance but this is NOT one of them.

How anyone considers them back is beyond me. All they are doing is erasing part of their whitness

Mychael Phillips
Mychael Phillips

I still have questions. It is great that they culturally identify as black, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that there is not biracial ancestory. All this article did is show pictures of immediate family. I don’t think anyone is questioning whether they can claim black since both mom and dad consider themselves black, but people are making an honest mistake because of how light they are. So my question is, what happened? Why are you so light? What about your family tree? You can choose to reveal this or not, but I don’t think you can blame people for making… Read more »

LBell
LBell

I’ve been saying this for years: If you have an African ancestor who was enslaved in North America, the odds that you also have at least one white ancestor are pretty good. Some have more than others and it shows…while some have more than others and it DOESN’T show. I’m dark enough such that I get mistaken for native West African on a more-or-less regular basis but even I have at least two nonblack (probably white, though folks keep trying to call them Native American, lol) ancestors that I know of. Put another way: Genealogically, we (AAs) are all mixed.… Read more »

Mychael Phillips
Mychael Phillips
Reply to  LBell

Right? And i have encountered all types of racial ambiguities in my life time. Girls who identify as white all the while being consistently cast in black roles in theatre. My niece and a student of mine who are technically biracial making and active choice to identify as black (and this they are doing before their teens years). I know race is more complicated then what is and what is not, but I expect people not to “clapback” and/or play dumb when it comes to certain preconceptions of their race. This article makes it seem like people are stupid for… Read more »

S?e??? R????
S?e??? R????

i agree. people need to separate cultural and biological/ethnical when they wanna be technical. Clearly his mum is not not pure black. and maybe its white maybe its not. but they’re not just black with light skin. it had to come from somewhere. I dont know about anyone else. but “blackness” is different for everyone, everywhere. I mean think about it. to be black in america, in the caribbean and other places of mixed heritage means basically “to have black ancestry” we aint touching one drop rule and all that yet. that’s basically it. but when u look at most… Read more »

Mychael Phillips
Mychael Phillips
Reply to  S?e??? R????

I agree, but what people must also realize is that any talked of genetic or biological structures that denote race are moot (beyond biological observations). Race exists exclusively as a social construct, so technically people can identify as whatever they want, but if it doesn’t fit within the construct then there are going to be questions. The one drope rule (for good or bad) is a part of that social construct. Hence why i don’t mind Curry identifying as black; the problem lies in the idea that they would act incredulous when people say or imply that they are mixed… Read more »

S?e??? R????
S?e??? R????

lol that last line killed. and i agree with the identify as whatever thing. I am black but i dont identify as that on forms. now before you think im tryna not be black or whatever, If u look carefully its also chinese, american indian, japanese (and possibly white idk. i have a white ancestor in there somewhere ‑_-) so its not just about saying, “o i dont wanna identify as black cuz im shadowing that side of my identity, i.e. i dont like that side, im ashamed”. I dont have to prove a thing to anyone. that’s what i… Read more »

Cosita

The term biracial means you have parents of two different races. If you don’t then you are not biracial no matter what you look like or what ancestors you have farther up the tree. I have close relatives who are this shade and they are not biracial. there are biracial people who are darker than Curry. So I don’t think skin color is a reliable indicator of who is biracial and who isn’t. I recently went to see J. Cole. Until seeing this article I had no clue he was biracial.

Aham bu... muta.
Aham bu... muta.
Reply to  Cosita

But because of the one drop rule there are loads of “black” people who are multiracial and even biracial. So to say that that you have parents of two different races doesn’t really say much because as you point out there are people who look nearly white and whose black ancestry is more apparent than the people who according to your logic would be “biracial.” The situation is far too murky to be propounding these formulas, that presuppose an environment of racial purity. The black people you reference can often be “less black” phenotypically and genotypically than the biracial people.… Read more »

Cosita

Also I don’t automatically associate the word biracial with having any particular racial combination. Your posts deals only with people with black ancestry which is not needed to be biracial. Any of my best friends have one Asian parent and one Caucasian. Also I have a friend whose mother is Native American and father is white. They are biracial and no part black. And I know people who are black and Asian. As for this: “I think this formula of needing to have one white parent to be mixed” Nowhere in my post did I use the mixed race. was… Read more »

Cosita

Actually I gave the definition of the word “biracial” according to the English dictionary. It gives the definition as having parents of two different races. When I want to know exactly what a word that isn’t slang means I go to a dictionary. My comment was based on a neutral source and not my logic or my opinion. If you want to argue with Webster then feel free. light skin people with two black parents have every right to say they are not biracial if by definition they are not biracial. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/biracial Personally I would never take his mom for… Read more »

D90
D90
Reply to  Cosita

Actually, the term biracial is defined by “of two races”. There is no subclause about parentage or percentage in the technical definition. So yes, while the majority of us like to pretend otherwisw, most African Americans are biracial or multiracial. Percentages and further delineations are just sociopolitical.. I’m Black with 2 Black parents and 2 sets of Black grandparents, but I’m not going to pretend that being 30% “other” is insignificant. I’m not saying that everyone should feel the same, but I think it’s silly to pretend that 30% of my genome doesn’t exist. Generational admixture is very real, and… Read more »

Reply to  D90

If both parent’s are biracial, I believe their kids would be considered 2nd generation Biracials or MGM

Reply to  D90

Yes I understand. I identify as black although I have blood relatives who are white because of relationships a few generations back. but I am not biracial because my parents are not of two different races. The definition for the term biracial that I have read specificies that is what it means. Perhaps there are dictionaries I haven’t seen that say otherwise.

oldfatmotherfucker
oldfatmotherfucker
Reply to  Cosita

I think you’re wrong on this one. If I have one parent who is half black / half white and another parent who is half black / half white, but they both identify as black, I am still going to be 50% black and 50% white (pretty much biracial) even if both of my parents identify as black. I am still just as white as any person who has one white parent and one black parent.

CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Thank you, the mother looks like Vanessa Williams imo. Who is half white. Light eyes+light skin means some racial mixture obviously. I’m glad they’re not Tiger Woods ignorant and black identified not appeasing the white racists that want to claim Stephen because he’s so great. If he was a murderer, drug dealer on the news these same whites would call him a nigger, he’d be straight black then.

Gerina
Gerina
Reply to  CurlsGalore

Vanessa Williams shows much more African phenotype than Sonya Curry does. Sonya is clearly in denial of the fact that she has at *least* 75% European ancestry. Probably closer to 90%.

Guest©
Guest©
Reply to  CurlsGalore

Both of Vanessay Williams parents are black.

Emily post
Emily post

Love to see blacks own their blackness. You can always tell the upper class blacks. They know their family heritage and history so no one can tell them who they are and are not. The colorstruck priceless blacks will always mention some other race or group above their own.. Always trying to separate themselves.

Aham bu... muta.
Aham bu... muta.

This post reminds me of the Real Housewives of Potomac. Robyn and Gizelle got offended that people called them biracial even though they looked more caucasian than the girl on the show who was “actually biracial.” To me, unless you’re referring to ethnic or cultural identity, the boundary between biracial and “just light skinned,” is a distinction without a difference. The elaborate algorithims for who is “just light skinned” and who is biracial… let’s just say they require an active imagination. In this day and age, to say that someone has a “black” parent, just means that their parent identifies… Read more »

D90
D90

The only problem with this perspective is that it ignores the existence of “phenotypically Black” people’s with biracial/multiracial heritage. Are they allowed to opt out of the heritage discussions because they’re brown-skinned or dark-skinned?

Personally, I feel that self-inentification is personal, and unless someone is pulling a Rachel Dolezal, it’s non of my business.

Lisa
Lisa

I don’t know how accurate that is because last year when he was on the NBA player awards on Bet he said he was half white I was surprised because I thought he was just light skinned. http://www.bet.com/video/the-players-awards/2015/acceptance-speeches/hardest-to-guard-stephen-curry.html

BGLHRinny
BGLHRinny
Reply to  Lisa

It seems that Curry was just joking there.

Reply to  BGLHRinny

lOl Denial in it’s finest, Sonya Curry is Black, White and Native American, her parents are both Biracial. Look them up. Dell Curry is Black and Native American, his parents are both Biracial.

Even Ayesha is mixed, she posted her so

Reply to  BGLHRinny

lOl Denial in it’s finest, Sonya Curry is Black, White and Native American, her parents are both Biracial or MGM, Look them up.

Dell Curry is Black and Native American, his parents are both Biracial.

Even Ayesha Curry is mixed, she posted on her social feed that her dad is Polish and she thinks Black. Ayesha’s mother is Black, white and Chinese.

But I bet people will still claim Riley as being pure Black?

raisin
raisin
Reply to  Lisa

Oh, so you thought he was “just light skinned”. Light skinned like him is MIXED RACE. The man is mixed race. Period.

Cosita

Interesting. So then what about people like Condy Rice who has 50% African DNA. The rest I think is mostly white and a little NA. So technically she could be the same genetically as someone with one black one other parent. Does that make her biracial in your opinion? I read her bio and some of my family is from the same areas as hers so I’m familiar with some of her ancestry. No half white grandparents. On the other hand all my grandfather’s grandparents were biracial except one as in black/white, black/native and native/white. I see this as being… Read more »

Daniyahu
Daniyahu

This is whats wrong with the black race. I mean no harm when I say this. But we continue to let white people tell us “what is black”. How can a half white, half black person be considered full black when both of my parents are black??? This one drop rule mess, doesn’t work in any other scenario in life. Try mixing a horse and donkey, and let that mule try to go hang out with the the thorobread horses. That mule will get laughed at. Try entering a mut into a dog show. Guess what you can’t. Mixing lowers… Read more »

Depths Of My Soul!

Vanessa Williams says she is ..

My DNA breaks down as follows: I’m 23% from Ghana, 17% from the British Isles, 15% from Cameroon, 12% Finnish, 11% Southern European, 7% Togo, 6% Benin, 5% Senegal and 4% Portuguese.

Guest
Guest

Yes, that’s her genetic background but she has always said she is black. I’m biracial, black mom and white dad. My brother did DNA testing and if I went by the test I’d have to claim white because 83 percent of my ancestry is European. I say I’m biracial but ppl assume Im Spanish or Italian. Genetics are funny.

Reply to  Guest

Yo arse aint Black lOl. I was speaking from a genetic stand point about Mrs. Curry but yes, I understand that people will judge one based on phenotype. I am Biracial as well(48% white, 30% Black and 20% Native). I get confused for a Puerto Rican all the time. I hate that shyt, it has become so annoying people walking up to me speaking Spanish. I used to claim Black Than they proceed to tell me “mami no you Puerto Rican” even after I tell them I am Black, wtF Puerto Rican ain’t even a race. I stopped claiming Black… Read more »

Doubt it is 90% look at her mom

Depths Of My Soul!

Dell Curry is Black and Native American, his parents are both Biracial.

But I bet people will still claim Riley as being pure Black?

MILFS-BUILD-STRONGER-BONERS
MILFS-BUILD-STRONGER-BONERS

You’re obsessive about turning Steph Curry into a mix icon.

Depths Of My Soul!

? Was just stating the obvious But just got informed that Mixed is the new Black

MILFS-BUILD-STRONGER-BONERS
MILFS-BUILD-STRONGER-BONERS

Except he’s not mixed and you’re insane.Lol

SmH, Ight?

MILFS-BUILD-STRONGER-BONERS
MILFS-BUILD-STRONGER-BONERS

You delusional weirdo.Lol

John
John

When has dell curry ever been biracial? He’s black and if sonya curry is half black then the kids would be about 75% black

Mixed is the new Black.

tamika jones
tamika jones

Definitely a mixture of something on mom’s side but does it matter.….….no

TWA4now
TWA4now

We are all beautiful colors of the rainbow! No one is pure.…ENJOY “us” as is.

Gerina
Gerina

Sonya Curry is black like Rachel Dolezal is black. Just saying. Get the family genetically tested and you’ll see that most of their ancestry is European. There’s no way they’re not. Even Dell must be at *least* 1/4 Euro, being so light-skinned. Sonya is lucky if she has one black grandparent.