28 Women on Instagram Who Are Bringing Dark-Skinned Beauty to the Forefront

Avatar • Apr 18, 2016

Colorism and the degradation of dark skin are lingering effects of slavery and colonialism. Dark skin is often associated with poverty and lack of privilege, beauty and class. But these perceptions are starting to shift. Women with very rich complexions are flaunting their melanin and gaining followings on social media for their beauty and unapologetic self-embrace. Here are 28 women who are bringing dark skin to the forefront.

Literally fierce.

FullSizeRender (27)

Pout

Diggin’ the no makeup look.

FullSizeRender (24)

Stunning.

FullSizeRender

I’d like to attend whatever masquerade ball she’s going to.

FullSizeRender (22) - Copy

Retro.

FullSizeRender (23)

Futuristic.

FullSizeRender (21) - Copy

The color white was made for this woman.

FullSizeRender (20) - Copy

So beautiful.

FullSizeRender (19) - Copy

Less is more.

FullSizeRender (18) - Copy

She’s like a gazelle.

FullSizeRender (17) - Copy

Black girl magic.

FullSizeRender (16) - Copy

Did you know that this breathtaking woman…

FullSizeRender (28)

Has an equally breathtaking sister?

FullSizeRender (15) - Copy

And pose.

FullSizeRender (14) - Copy

Hippie chic.

FullSizeRender (13) - Copy

A glittery green lip? Yes!

FullSizeRender (12) - Copy

Simplicity at its finest.

FullSizeRender (11) - Copy

Beautiful contrast.

FullSizeRender (10) - Copy

Angles.

FullSizeRender (9) - Copy

Her eyes…

FullSizeRender (8) - Copy

Black on black on black.

FullSizeRender (6) - Copy

Foxy.

FullSizeRender (7) - Copy

Happy

Striking!

Sometimes, a simple smile will do.

FullSizeRender (3) - Copy

Gorgeous.

FullSizeRender (2)

Glow from head to toe.

FullSizeRender (1) - Copy

alekwek
alekwek

lovely…let the discussion begin

Miri
Miri

This is lovely…I hope I can see more of the beauties that aren’t easily accepted as well, the ladies with the larger noses, you know, stuff like that.

BKregularsizedhands
BKregularsizedhands

At this point in the blog game, you should know to have these girl’s Instagrams embedded so visitors can click and go. The screen shots were so inconvenient. Please do better.

Crystal
Crystal

lol i was thinking the same thing. I think it was kinda laziness on someones part; easier to screenshot.

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

These women are so beautiful. Love that we are celebrating those of us with more melanin.

Saran
Saran

Gorgeous, they are just gorgeous. Just like that woman, Tika Sumpter

nubian queen528
nubian queen528

THE ORIGINAL STANDARD BEAUTY !

KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

Omg I cried from all this lovely melanin gracing my eyes. Sudanese girls seem to be especially dark most times and it makes me wish truly dark skin like that was more widely seen and accepted.

Nine lives
Nine lives
Reply to  KosmoKhaos

Unfortunately, Nikki from Jamie and Nikki watered down her melanin marrying a cave beast. So much for making more that look like her

KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos
Reply to  Nine lives

-_____- Were you expecting me to agree with you on that or something?.…Because I don’t. You sound ignorant as hell.

Riak
Riak
Reply to  KosmoKhaos

They’re Dinka and we’re one of the darkest tribes in Africa but in Australia right now with South Sudanese. There’s an epidemic of bleaching. It’s so sad, I hate it.

Yurilyte
Yurilyte

oh…my.…gah…*bookmarks the page for future instagram stalking*

Sarah Owusu-Tweneboah
Sarah Owusu-Tweneboah

Although these women are beautiful, why is it when dark skin is being showcased it’s always thinner women? I’m curious. Do we all have to look like Lupita? What about Gabourey?

Steve Biko
Steve Biko

With all due respect, Ms. Sidibe is morbidly OBESE. That’s not an image we should portray to our people during a time where these lifestyle related diseases are KILLING us. We have a responsibility to strive for HEALTH, and Ms. Sidibe’s physique is NOT healthy in any way..

Nine lives
Nine lives
Reply to  Steve Biko

Just because they’re thin doesn’t mean they’re healthy neither nor if they’re thick that they’re unhealthy.Some people are built to be more heavy set or scrawny.

Nunya Biznys
Nunya Biznys

you have a great point. Dark skin beauty comes in all sizes.

wandesworld
wandesworld

These women are just breathtaking! I wish that I was featured though!

TWA4now
TWA4now

I love it!!! Beautiful black queens! ONE WORD: slay!

Ashley McGirt
Ashley McGirt

I love this but just 28??? Come on yall there are way too many of us on IG to be belittled by a # like that.

blackgirl
blackgirl

Although these woman are very beautiful they did not bring dark girls to the fore front…I’ve been very dark all my life and I felt Beautiful all my life!! THANK YOU MOMMA!!

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  blackgirl

I don’t agree that the negative perception of dark skin is only now starting to shift. It has been for a long time. One of my friends I’ve known for at least 20 years is dark skinned from West Africa and she has had nothing but praise(from BM) for her beauty.

Nine lives
Nine lives
Reply to  blackgirl

I agree.If I had an instagram, I would like to add my beauty and some others

Ednaa Ednash
Ednaa Ednash

check out ‘inkmyafrica’ on instagram. she should be on this list too. dark-skinned girls are beautiful.

EveryFashionista
EveryFashionista

I wish I was darker. I sm lile cinnamon or milk chocolate. Although being dark and beautifup comes with tons of jealousy and rejection, I would be ser for life. I would not need juvederm or botox. I truly wish I were born with more darker African genes. If you can weight you can hold the adipose tissue way better, you age much slower, your hair is yhick, your lips are full, and your skin glows like black gold.

Nine lives
Nine lives

Go lay out in the sun and slather on some coconut oil. It’s attainable if you really want to.

EveryFashionista
EveryFashionista
Reply to  Nine lives

Lol, U don’t think it’s tht simple. The amount of melanin you get is genetucally determind. Oh how U wish tho.

purplerain25
purplerain25

It really is that simple. As long as you have some melanin (carbon) you, you can increase it, all you have to do is sit in the sun, eat carbon rich food and take cold showers.

EveryFashionista
EveryFashionista
Reply to  Nine lives

Lol yall too much. Tryna fry a bish

Nine lives
Nine lives

Could you all take Nikki from Jamie and Nikki? She’s a self race hater with low self esteem married to a white guy who literally demands she wears weaves. Just a poor model for melanin/carbon pigment lovers.She or he also lightens her photos cause she’s much darker and gorgeous but they keep filtering it to make her look lighter.Just a mess.

Miriam Tesfay
Miriam Tesfay
Reply to  Nine lives

In what video did he demand that she wears a wig? Won’t even bother to comment on calling her low self esteemed for marrying a white human.

christinanolanXD
christinanolanXD
Reply to  Nine lives

oh shut up

KosmoKhaos
KosmoKhaos

I don’t understand why this site will moderate the comments but then allow people to say such blatantly ignorant stuff like that.

Radavera
Radavera

Late to this article but from what I’ve noticed, dark skin hype is only a social media trend. In real life, it’s not as glamorous .

Tshepiso
Tshepiso
Reply to  Radavera

I totally agree with Radavera. I’m a dark skinned lady and I realize this hype is only a social media trend, yet in reality, being dark skinned is most of the time frowned upon. The advantage of a dark skin complexion is the skin is often beautiful, has less spots or pimples and the doesn’t age quickly.…

Ivy
Ivy

I would like to see these beauties in mainstream movies n media. I am tired of seeing the same kind of faces everywhere. Why is the media depriving us of dark beauty.

Samantha
Samantha

They all are beautiful.

Taqwa
Taqwa

Proud to say that I already follow many of these beauties. 🙂

Dee
Dee

Thi is important.

christinanolanXD
christinanolanXD

Legit most are south sudanese lol. I’m beginning to feel like SS girls are the only pretty ones that appeal to people of all races :((((((((((((((((

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

Well, Their skin is admirable. Don’t hate it. Dark skin resembles the color of the universe.

GlennHarris
GlennHarris

I agree totall. Whenever there two black lead females in a movie the dark skin girl is always a knucklehead, the one where is there something wrong with her. the light skin sister is the one that’s the angel. got nothing against light-skinned sisters … if i was blind I could’not tell light from dark. I’m just saying …look at all of our videos. It’s hard to find a video made by black people, Rap, R&B, whatever that features black dances. They are all as light as you can get them. I’m just saying it’d be nice to see some… Read more »

Harleyyyy

i love this because nowadays “lightskin” is always the prettiest

Nyanjam
Nyanjam

Aww thank you so much for featuring me ?????

Decimal
Decimal

Wazz upppp!

John Kirby
John Kirby

Black women are very beautiful , my future wife is very “BLACK” and I find her absolutely stunning … Perhaps there is a segment of society that regard black women as less than what they are… I assure you, this man finds black women quite alluring …

Thando