Real Housewives of Colorism? Cast Member Kenya Moore Called Too Dark

Avatar • Dec 1, 2015

Last week’s episode of the Real Housewives of Atlanta was filled with the usual shade, pomp and circumstance. However, things really went south after cast member, Phaedra Parks insinuated that her fellow cast member, Kenya Moore was “too dark.”

While Parks has yet to recant her statement, Kenya took to twitter with her response to her cast mate’s remarks:

Moore later went in depth on her BravoTV blog and says, Phaedra owes her an apology:

Phaedra taking digs at my previous skin condition with my date and making the comment about my skin being dark. These types of ignorant comments not only insult me as a dark skinned woman but an entire race. All black is beautiful. We should be celebrating our differences, which is why in my opinion Phaedra’s comment warrants an apology.

It’s well known that Moore and Parks have had somewhat of a rocky friendship on the show, with some of the insults between the two getting downright brutal. However, does this cross the line?

Sound off! What do you think of the comments and Kenya’s response?

nylse

What line? The whole show crosses a line!

I’m a reformed rhoa junkie.

Honestly
Honestly

None of this is new. Harsh comments about black skin doesn’t surprise me at all.

Elle P.
Elle P.

Yep, Phaedra’s ignorant comments crossed the line… Then I wondered if that stuff was scripted for a reaction.… Due to the stupidity of the show, I don’t watch it…

Dede
Dede
Reply to  Elle P.

I don’t watch that crap either. It was a horrible comment.

Myllee
Myllee

I am confused how does Phaedra sees herself, also I don’t her think comment was meant to be understood that way.

Cosita
Cosita

I have never watched this show but from reading articles and seeing her do interviews it seems Kenya talks much s#%& about people all the time. If that’s the case who cares about her acting all in her feelings. I hate people who start mess then try to play the victim. Plus so much of these type shows is scripted. shrug

Raina
Raina

i don’t think this is colourism at all. Pheadra knows fully well that she herself is a dark skinned black woman. People are reaching with this one and Kenya just saw an opportunity to blow it out of proportion and make herself look like the victim like she always does. She does and says horrible things to people a lot so I don’t understand why she’s all in her feelings now.

Exactly.
Exactly.
Reply to  Raina

So? Many dark skinned black women insult other women’s skin color. Saying that someone is two shades darker than they are supposed to be is an insult to their skin color, worse comparing it to poop. Unfortunately, many women are extremely jealous of Kenya because she is a beautiful dark skinned black woman with very healthy long hair that is all hers, so any comment attacking her good looks, now matter how racist it is, will get a pass. Phaedra literally spread rumors about Kenya being a whore, bipolar and an alcoholic because she didn’t want to pay Kenya a fair… Read more »

Miss.
Miss.
Reply to  Exactly.

Yeah I’m stunned people on here are waving it away as nothing to see (but it’s the norm here these days anyway). It doesn’t take much logic to see that she’s connecting darker skin tones to poop.

I stopped watching years ago. Reality tv is a mess. I miss the early days of reality TV with shows like The Mole, Real World, Survivor, etc… before it became a scripted hellhole for fame hungry and dysfunctional individuals.

Raina
Raina
Reply to  Exactly.

many women JEALOUS OF KENYA???? LMAOOOOOOO . That has to be one of the funniest statements ever. there r soo many beautiful dark skinned women with longggg hair so saying that people r jealous of kenya is extremely extreme. Kenya is a horrible person with a nasty behavior. She constantly starts trouble and likes to play the victim. She is never happy for peoples success and always finding ways to bring people down. That is why people do not like her. I’m 110% sure it’s not cause people are ‘jealous’ of her.

From A Unique Perspective
Reply to  Exactly.

Check out my blog link because I touch on exactly what you are talking about! The fact that the loser who commented in response to you laughed speaks volumes. LOL. Denial is a trip.

Guest
Guest

Kenya should be calling out the stupidity of Pheadra’s comment, not colorism–too much poop in your system ’causes darker skin!?

That poop (pun intended) makes no sense.

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

Please disperse…there is nothing to see here.

sanjidude
sanjidude

I didn’t get any coulourism in the comment. The show started going downhill with the very first Nene fight in the bus. They are waaay too old for the nonsense that goes on there. Had to stop watching…it’s too embarrassing for me as a person of color.

Jacqy
Jacqy

I didn’t get any color-ism either. She was simply stating that because she is so full of poop she’s darker than she would be if she weren’t full of poop. Seriously, please learn how to read and interpret correctly. People are so silly! This woman has no ill-will for dark skinned people. However, this show is QUITE embarrassing and for this reason I do NOT watch.

LusciousDC
LusciousDC

ALL these bitches are ignorant. I can’t stomach any of them. All they do is drink, argue, travel, start up businesses you never hear of again, and travel to drink and fight. They need to cancel all these stupid ass shows. All they do is show how catty and bitter some women can be.

arianna17
arianna17
Reply to  LusciousDC

This the same thing I always say. They fight, gossip, shop, drink, go in debt, lie about what they have and get plastic surgery. I don’t even watch these shows anymore.

BrinaLovesSnacks
BrinaLovesSnacks

If you eat the wrong food your poop will be too dark or too light. In this case the poop analogy is just that her (Kenya’s) personality is lacking.
Not enough TLC to your body= dark poop.
Not enough substance as a person= crap personality.

mel
mel

Tasteless comment, but then again Phaedra has always been a tasteless person. I can see how this can be linked to colorism in a way.

ronnieb1958
ronnieb1958

reality” TV is not real, people!

From A Unique Perspective

The fact of the matter is the MAJORITY of Kenya Moore’s haters are Black women. These are the facts! I’ve followed this show since she’s been on and yes Phaedra is trash. Phaedra is really insecure but she of ALL people should not be throwing out insults because at the end of the day, all her lies have been exposed in front of millions of people. At the end of the day, she CHOSE to marry an ex-con. That ex-con was surely lusting after Kenya and EVERYONE saw it. So she needs to have a seat! If you’d like, please check… Read more »

DreamJo
DreamJo

If it’s not a direct quote, why is it in quotation marks? And it’s a bit of a stretch to say this is colorism.