[Pic] Cynthia Bailey Reveals Her Natural Hair on Instagram

Avatar • Nov 5, 2015

Cynthia Bailey announced last week that she is giving her hair a “weave break.” She posted this photo with the caption;

Taking a much needed weave break! I try to do this every 3 months but I am usually too busy working & traveling to commit. This is what my hair looks like right now. As you can see it is growing but my leave out (WHICH IS DYED BLOND TO BLEND IN WITH MY BLOND EXTENSIONS) & edges are a little stressed damaged. I just washed, conditioned & put it in 2 ponytails. AirDry not blow dry! I love changing my hair up & weaves and wigs are the quickest ways to get different looks. However, I always want to make sure my natural hair is strong & healthy. I highly suggest taking a weave break ladies! Even if it’s only for a couple of weeks. I’m going to try to do 2 months. Found some great wigs for work that I can take off at night to get me thru.

The supermodel is known for sporting larger than life wigs and weaves, but in a statement posted her to Instagram account she admits that her leave out and edges are in need of some TLC.  While weaves can be great for protective styling, Bailey is absoutely correct in her assertion that a weave break is necessary to maintain the health of one’s natural mane.

What do you think of Cynthia’s vow to go weave-free for two months?

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

Cosita
Cosita

Wow. She is going to “try” for two whole months to not wear weave. That’s so brave. I think she should get an award for that. Let me check my crackerjack box. I wouldn’t bleach just my leave out to match extensions because when you take them out it just looks dumb. I would not look to this person for hair advice.

TWA4now
TWA4now

I think it’s a GREAT idea! I hope she can go weave free longer!!!

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

“edges are a little stressed damaged” you say. Still in Denial. It’s more then her edges that need a break. The hair on the crown of her head is gone bye bye birdie. Made me think what would her hair say. Got me writing for the hair. Question Dairy Of a Hair Strand They went through The Burn and The Perm But these are no more. What came next left the elders perplexed. They called it The Weave Laid down the tracks once this happen There was no turning back Darkness all around. Where is the light? Oh… the pain. Is it from you brain? I… Read more »

Tammi
Tammi
Reply to  Deedeemaha

I think when you’re refering to the crown of her hair, your looking at the blonde coloring, not her scalp.

Caray
Caray
Reply to  Tammi

No her CROWN ( the pic on the right )her scalp is very visible!

bOr
bOr
Reply to  Caray

That’s not her scalp, that her hair coloured blonde. Her edges are very thin in that pic, but her crown looks okay.

London
London
Reply to  Caray

That part of her hair is dyed blonde (as she says in the post). That isn’t her scalp and the crown doesn’t look like its going bald. Her edges though look very stressed. The show she is on puts pressure on the ladies I guess to look fabulous in a very specific way. I know Cynthia rocks a lot of afro textured hair (wigs and weave) so I like that about her. I guess she feels her own hair isn’t full enough to pull off the looks she likes or wants more versatility. Either way, she should definitely give her… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Tammi

Thanks. I was staring a long time to figure out if that was blonde or scalp. Looks bad either way to me. (shrug) Not taking her hair care tips.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet

Those edges…

Chile…

Caray
Caray

Sorry, but by the looks for things she is going bald. Did She use weaves/wigs to cover the hair thinning or did it cause the balding?!

Francine4koko
Francine4koko
Reply to  Caray

She stated that the hair at the leave out is dyed blond. It looks like she’s going bald at the crown,but the hair in that area is blond.

bs1m0ne
bs1m0ne
Reply to  Caray

I thought she was too until i read the comment, I think what looks like her scalp is actually blonde hair but i’m not sure

JazzWife

She is not someone whose advice I would take. Two months is a good start but she should aim for longer so that she can reduce her dependency and allow her hair (edges/crown) to heal and recover.

Zenith
Zenith

Good for her! Though her hair looks relaxed, rather than natural, it is good that she is willing to give it at least somewhat of a break. Persistent weave is not healthy for the scalp or the hair. Most people who are chronic weave wearers usually have hair that is much thinner than what it would be without it. I understand that weave allows for versatility, but when it is a permanent decision, I think styling versatility is an excuse. There are many people who are addicted to wearing weave, can’t be caught dead without it and have seriously damaged… Read more »

Ellen
Ellen

I think “a break” means no wigs, too. Wearing wigs can be just a damaging on the edges. Someone should tell her that.

kia
kia

She is not natural…

Tee Tee
Tee Tee

What i want to know is why talk bad about her or try to bring her down? She’s obviously trying to correct the problem and i commend her for that. There’s no need for the snide and rude remarks. Get it together ladies.

Rebecca
Rebecca

All of you that are saying you wouldn’t look to her for hair advice? Chile please. She gave pretty good advice. The show and lifestyle that she lives puts pressure on her hair. For someone in such a position her hair is relatively okay. I would LOVE to see every single woman who is on a reality tv show show themselves fully natural. Hair and body

Mbabeuparfeu
Mbabeuparfeu

It’s seems like her roots are natural but her length and ends are relax. Most of the women following BGLH know way better how to handle their natural hair, so it’s normal that her advice seems really poor.
I don’t know her, but I can understand that it’s a great step for her to leave the weave for 2 months as it is a convenience regarding her lifestyle and worklife (tv showbiz pressure and all) . But yeah her hair looks weakened by the mistreatments.

(sorry for my weird english !)

ThingsIWonder
ThingsIWonder

I don’t understand, is it any less or more expensive — in terms of what you have to gain or lose — to have a cosmetologist that actually cares about your hair? I don’t see why you can’t have both seeing as how after the illusion melts away all you are left with is the real you.… who wants to be sooooo far away from reality anyway ..ooops well 🙂