Eartha Kitt’s Words on Backlash for Marrying Interracially in the 60s Still Ring True Today

Avatar • Nov 9, 2015

A quote from legendary actress Eartha Kitt is circulating on social media and sparking discussion on black women, black men and interracial marriage. In it Kitt answers whether she faced backlash for marrying real estate investor Bill McDonald from 1960 to 1965.

M: Do you think you faced a lot of resentment just because you were married to a white man.

E: Oh yes, that caused the resentment. I was married to Bill McDonald in 1960. People would say ‘Why didn’t you marry a Black man?’ I would reply “because the white girls had them!” The men I wanted to be with, Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, dated predominatly white women. I’m talking about the 50s. When Harry Belfonte picks me out of his bed in Philadelphia and said: ‘I don’t want you to take me seriously because no Black woman can do anything for me’. I could not help him to progress into where he was going to go. “A black woman would hold a black man back’, that’s what he told me. If I wanted to marry a black man there wasn’t one because the white girls had them.

12108981_10154515131328561_7027057491348266956_n

Wow.

Although it’s not clear where this quote was lifted from, Kitt’s story about Harry Belafonte is similar to one recounted in Ellen Holly’s autobiography. You can see that snippet here.

It’s 55 years later and Kitt’s words are all too familiar.

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

Chrissie
Chrissie

I think this may ring true for some but not for all, certainly wasn’t true for me. I married my best friend who loves and respects me for me. That’s what I was looking for. People have the right to want a particular race or look or “type” but if you settle for less than what you were looking for, it isn’t the “white girls’ ” fault or even the “black mens’ ” fault. You either wait for what you want or settle for less when your patience runs out. Same choice every human will have. And YOU live with the consequence… Read more »

Yoli
Yoli
Reply to  Chrissie

Well said

Kork McD
Kork McD
Reply to  Chrissie

Agreed Chrissie this doesn’t ring true for me either. My husband is my best friend and he loves me for being me.

FreeTea
FreeTea

I think her words still ring true. I’ve found that a lot of other Black people think that I don’t care about the issues facing the Black community because I married White. I’ve been accused of self-hate. People have continually alleged that I “just want mixed babies.” People call me a traitor. The most hurtful thing? People assume that true love between myself and my husband is an impossibility, and we’re only with each other because of fetishes and internalized White Supremacy.

Reply to  FreeTea

They only come at Black women like that…ignore them or laugh in their faces…and love the he’ll out of your husband.

Guest
Guest
Reply to  FreeTea

Black men who marry out face a lot of the same criticism as well, wether warranted or not. I think the BM that marry out, that turn and call BW who’ve done the same names, is where the double standard gets ridiculous.

clever_moniker
Reply to  FreeTea

NoTime4Bimbos
NoTime4Bimbos

Wasn’t Eartha Kitt mixed? If so then what was the problem?

dazzlingdame
dazzlingdame
Reply to  NoTime4Bimbos

Mixed didn’t exist back then. Hence “mixed” black people like Malcolm X and Rosa Parks being at the forefront of the struggle.

The one drop thing, which was created by white people meant even a drop of black blood “tainted’ a person into blackness. So, she was black.

Sayitisnothim
Sayitisnothim

Noo… please say it is not real. In my little Dutch town as a kid my teacher thought us his Harry Belafonte — “Banana Boat (Day O)” song. That was my jam, as off today still is. Don’t want this great song to be linkt to selfhate in my mind. What is read can not be unread :(. How am i going to deal with this ahahh

clever_moniker
Reply to  Sayitisnothim

Our idols often disappoint us. They’re flawed just like everyone else.

Tiffany Williams

My thoughts are black women need to start dating IR and stop waiting on a black kang to magically appear at your door step. Black men have shown countless times that they’re in love with anything non black as possible but black women stay trying to find the right one, and holding out on men of other races because some day a black man will suddenly appear in front of them. Keep telling yourself that and you’ll be single forever.

Lauren Walker

What if you’re like me ? I don’t find men from other ethnic groups attractive as a mate. I know I can’t be the only one. Are we to force ourselves to be attracted to other ethnic groups? I’ve tried but they do nothing for me. There has to be an attraction. I’ve accepted the fact that I’m never going to have a life mate /best friend. I just wish my family and friends were OK with it. .Lol Some ppl just have to be happy for other ppl that do. Love is beautiful between two adult humans.

Reply to  Lauren Walker

If you want to be single for the rest of your life, that’s great but my comment was for black women who just think a black man will appear at their door step ready to marry them when that won’t happen.

Umm..thanks..lol

HisMercy
HisMercy
Reply to  Lauren Walker

Lauren, attraction can build over time. Maybe you should try and give a non black man a chance. You could be very surprised…

Reply to  HisMercy

I’m not attracted to them sexually. Just being honest..Lol

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Lauren Walker

What if you’re like me ? I don’t find men from other ethnic groups attractive as a mate. I know I can’t be the only one.”–You’re not. Expanding your dating pool doesn’t neccessarily mean dating other races, you could still date black men, but BM from another culture. That might will expand your options greatly as well.

Reply to  Lauren Walker

Close your eyes, literally. Then “see” what attracts you. You may find that physical attraction and looks aren’t so highly important on your list of qualifications in a mate. Just think, what if you went blind… then what kind of man would matter to you?

Guest
Guest

So nothing is new under the sun. Black women need to do for self and self alone.

Tiffany Williams

And another thing, start being pro black woman. Let these white women, Asian women and Latina women fight for black men’s right to exist while simultaneously fighting to end their privilege over blacks. Let’s let that happen and see where it goes. I’m sure thousands of non black women are eager to give up their privilege.

Guest
Guest

And another thing, start being pro black woman.”–That’s where I’m at. I wish more black women would come to the same conclusion. It is a much smaller battle and obtainable goal.

The problem is, we as wo“men” see ourselves in men, men do not see themselves in us . Things will never change until BW start to have a concrete understanding of this.

Claudolf Georgini
Claudolf Georgini

Whoa whoa whoa. Why are you trying to separate black men and women? That’s what they want you to do. You’re speaking as if white men, Asian men, Latin men all love black women. MANY of them don’t like black women. Why are you ignoring the black couples who stick together? What about them? Should they break up just because of some article? Eartha Kitts was primarily talking about FAMOUS black men. She was NOT talking about the average black man. She wanted the BEST black men and did not give the regular average black man a shot. The problem… Read more »

Tiffany Williams

The ignorance NEVER fails. It’s always the same thing. “You’re causing division, feeding into white supremacy…” The black couples don’t have to break up and while non black men may dislike black women, black men dislike us way more in general. They never march for us like we march for them, they blame us for our abuse or rape. They don’t support us the way we support them. This article rings true for average black men as well. Don’t play stupid, it’s alright to love black men but love then enough to call out their bullshit. Stop coddling them like… Read more »

Josie Wells

Me some two years later: agreed!

Tika
Tika
Reply to  Josie Wells

I’m here late af too ??

Neal McLeod
Neal McLeod
3 months ago

I like how they ignore the 99% of black men that want them, the cry about 1% that doesn’t. Keep chasing that paper though, booboo.

Tika
Tika

I’m late af ??but you sound ridiculous…have you ever considered the fact that black women don’t want them either and they know it?? Trust me they fantasize about us the same way nonblack women fantasize bout black men.. the difference is non black men don’t act on it because they know we are loyal our men…which is a waste of time…

oldfatmotherfucker
oldfatmotherfucker

I am all for black women dating interracially. No shame.

Zenith
Zenith

May you and your husband have a lifetime of happiness together!!

A Vocal Guest
A Vocal Guest

_Interesting

Lauren Walker

Actually I believe you can..not being rude.

HisMercy
HisMercy
Reply to  Lauren Walker

Agreed. Love is a CHOICE. People always talk about love as if it’s some magical feeling that overtakes a person.

Dana Brown
Dana Brown
Reply to  HisMercy

Umm.…it is.

If you don’t feel that way, maybe you’ve never actually been in love.

You can love someone without being in love with them. They’re two different things–perhaps you’ve just experienced the former rather than the latter.

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc
Reply to  Lauren Walker

I agree. Because if a woman who was with an abuser uttered the words, “You can’t help who you love.…” Chhh…

Lauren Walker

Wow..didn’t know that about him. I plan on remaining single and just being happy for other ppl that find true love. I’m only attracted to black men ..I just can’t look at other ethnic groups of men. I feel we’re all the same race..human. We do have ethnic groups with wonderful cultures. Dang..I wish I were attracted to other men.

Honestly
Honestly
Reply to  Lauren Walker

I used to feel the same way Lauren. In time things changed for me. You never know, but there are some good bm out there just take your time be discerning and watch for the things he DOES and not what he says. I wish you all the luck in the world and I know you will find a good guy.

Lauren Walker

Man I wish I could be like you! I’m glad you found happiness in finding a mate 🙂

A Vocal Guest
A Vocal Guest

I’m your age, I didn’t see any of my friends getting married to BM, they were mainly used, manipulated for money, sex and a roof over their heads until they met the next woman, moved on and repeated the pattern!!

A Vocal Guest
A Vocal Guest

I agree but I see just as many attractive BW who are with Baller’s or Rappers getting attention their normally light skin/Biracial or mixed race. Yes, even today its about Me-ism for many BM!

jamal.U
jamal.U

Every good Black women should date and marry interracially. As a Black man I have to be honest about this. My own father left my mother for a White woman who was slim, blonde and not about much. She was only beautiful but could not hold a dime to my mom when it came to being a good woman, mother and wife. My brother and sisters had to help mom hold it down when my dad left and my mom was the one who had held my father down while he was in college only to be replaced by a… Read more »

Honestly
Honestly
Reply to  jamal.U

Preach Jamal U.
Not all bm are bad but its a headache to deal with all that heartache.

HisMercy
HisMercy
Reply to  jamal.U

I would not touch a Black man with a ten foot pole!”

Hmmm…seems like you are generalizing all black men based on your negative experiences with a few. The fact that you are a black male does not legitimize your comment. I always try and think about how I feel being on the receiving end of a generalization, and that keeps me in check from doing the same to others. You should try it.

Reply to  jamal.U

Thank you for being honest.

Capucine Philson
Capucine Philson
Reply to  jamal.U

Bravo brother!! I’ve been spreading the message to black women to keep their options open & there is so much opportunity in marrying interracially. Most black men have become so entitled, narcissistic, & beyond arrogant. I’m all for black love but I’ll never endorse a woman to wait on any man but especially wait on a man due to race! M? I think not. Many elder sisters are pushing for the younger black women to wait on a ‘good’ black man. I just think that’s ludicrous!

Denise
Denise
Reply to  jamal.U

So what is your point!

Kymani Fabrice Arceneaux
Kymani Fabrice Arceneaux
Reply to  jamal.U

YOu wouldnt touch a black man with a ten foot pole? Looks like youve actually internalized your father’s own bigotry! This is called hatred of ones self! No matter what you do, you cant escape your blackness!

Val
Val
Reply to  jamal.U

This made me laugh out loud. Black women do need to keep options open. Its a big world out there sample it. Lots of men love black women. Black women don’t need to be with thugs and criminals just because they are black.

A Vocal Guest
A Vocal Guest

None of my friends married, they were all educated, had BM use them, move on, ask them for love and support financially but never invested in them. Today, those same BM are alone, living off their Mothers or with BW they didn’t want

Cosita
Cosita

As someone who has dated outside my race and outside my culture many times, I see nothing wrong with it. Who you love is who you love. Who you are attracted to is who you are attracted to. But this has nothing to do with love or attraction but money and greed. If this is true it makes him makes him a low down opportunistic SOB who uses people. I wouldn’t even be friends with people who come around only for what I “can do for them”. Those are the worst kinds of people. Hoes ain’t loyal. If I was… Read more »

Kymani Fabrice Arceneaux
Kymani Fabrice Arceneaux
Reply to  Cosita

We aint talking about love! Stop the bs! We are talking about the negative effects of living in an oppressive society! What is love anyway? Half the people talking about it dont really know what it means! Most are talking about lust, aesthetics, “feelings”, etc.

Lakitha Goss
Lakitha Goss

I find that lots of men who have dated or married interacially try to approach me. This automatic eliminates them as candidates for me. I always say that they need to stay on the other side of the fence because I deem them as damaged goods. If sistas were not good enough previously, why are they desirable now?

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc
Reply to  Lakitha Goss

Thanks for this commentary. The last 3 guys who approach are coming out of these harrowing long-term relationships with white women. I entered into a relationship with one of those guys and it was a huge mistake. Before that I never really would judge a man that way, but my last relationship does have me seeing these men through a different lense.

disquslova
disquslova

Never, ever date a black man who used to date exclusively date white women. Trust me.

EbonyinOjai
EbonyinOjai

What lens? Would you mind sharing?

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc
Reply to  EbonyinOjai

Hi. Sorry for the delay. My last long term relationship turned into a tumultuous one. His previous long term relationship was with a white woman and had ended badly because they lived together. I didn’t think it would be an issue but he would use it to project things onto me or to damage my self esteem. When the subject of dating would come up, he would gush about how great white women were ad nauseam.… until she sued him and put him in legal trouble. fast forward to this past year and I met another newly relocated to my… Read more »

Guest
Guest

Lol! Black women don’t like those men either, so that’s a moot point–especially the line about BW lusting after white men at hight rates–Hilarious!!!

And BM are guilty of ignoring good BW and going for the strippers and bad bitches (black china & amber rose for example), just like BW who ignore the “can’t do nothing for me type” BM.

The thing is, the reason both groups are easy to divide and conquer is because, neither wants to admit that, both BM & BW are equally at fault for the plight in the AA community.

Reply to  Guest

No..Black women and men are not equally at fault.

FreeTea
FreeTea

I don’t disagree that there are ulterior motives present in the media, but this supposition that Black women aren’t giving Black men a chance.….

MagnoliaGirl Phillips
MagnoliaGirl Phillips

very great points

PM
PM

You can blame Colonialism, slavery, racism, and oppression on the atrocities of Black relationships. This system has set us at odds with each other from day one. They killed the males and spared the females and took them as booty and raped them. The children produced from this traumatic experience were treated better because they were lighter skinned. This form of oppression was passed down through generations and we as Black peope have carried on this practice among ourselves. It is very prevalent in the Black fraternities and sororities. On the slave ships Black women were chained and placed on… Read more »

Reply to  PM

PLEASE SHUT UP!

Good-digger
Good-digger
Reply to  lis

Why, don’t you like FACTS? All of this is common knowledge TO THOSE WHO ARE EDUCATED WITH TRUTH and HAVE OPEN EYES.

lis

Neither Malcolm X nor Rosa Parks were mixed..They each had 2 Black parents.

dazzlingdame
dazzlingdame
Reply to  lis

Black parents who were mixed due to slavery.

Free Tea
Free Tea
Reply to  lis

Having two Black parents does not mean you are not multiracial/genetically mixed.

lis

The media?…not Black men and their bitches and hoes music? And culture and not the black males on youtube degrading and dehumanizing Black women for I don’t know what?…I can go o n and on…they’re not the ones causing division but Black women who dare to have these conversations…ok.…by the way 25% of married black males are married to non Black women so who’s ignoring who?

Reply to  lis

Exactly. Type on YouTube “Why I love black women” and the sad part is that there are more non black men then black men praising black women and in the comment sections there are black men angry and jealous and trying to keep black women down. They don’t want to date us but they don’t want us to date non black.

fabulous
fabulous

blakwetseterns are really fucked up. house nigger mentality to always want to impress the master(white) . that ‘s why the others race do not respect us. between the Sotomayor house niggers & the weaves/wigs/wig lace of Caucasians & Asians hair,we are not to be respect because we do not respect ourselves nad the worts of the black slaves are the fucked up carribeans like Belafonte & poitier:no1 sell out niggers. Belafonte came to London for his last movie-documentary: no black face was there as no blaKS gave a shit about him. he achieved nothing in Hollywood for his own people.… Read more »

Denise
Denise
Reply to  fabulous

Preach!

Latoya
Latoya
Reply to  fabulous

Latoya
Latoya
Reply to  fabulous

The truth will set you free.

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc

Sidney Poitier did this actually. Which is why I am surprised that Diahann would even go for anything Sidney would have said.

lis

Harry did it too.…and I heard his Black wife was gorgeous.

DLB
DLB

Harry did it as well. In the same year he divorced his Beautiful Black wife, he married his first white woman.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

We came from greatness and royalty. I can’t believe the comments I’m reading. I’m going to stand by Pm’s comment. This generation sucks. Pm is right about everything.

Reply to  Sabrina black

Yes let’s blame whites for the faults of black men because we all know black men can never be at fault.

EbonyinOjai
EbonyinOjai

EVER!

Cosita
Cosita

I read the article. How exactly did he “make” her write him a check for an apartment she was locked out of? I think we need to run some DNA on her because I don’t now a single black woman who would do some $h#% like that. As a matter of fact if I paid for the décor, it’s either going in a moving van or I’m going to bust up every piece of furniture in that sonovabit. After all I paid for it so it’s mine. She must be all kinds of dumb. Then she got back with him… Read more »

A
A

From what I have observed from travelling the world: Blacks in the U.S. seem so lost to me. Culturally inept and passing the insecruity to new generations. I will give you an example:Overheard two teenagers at whole foods, one girl and boy talking about not wanting to date each other because they did not want a child with “nappy” hair. That’s a problem of self hate. I had a black american co worker in her late 30’s who felt the same way. I only experienced this ignorance in America. Alot of blacks Americans are just discovering natural hair, never learned… Read more »

eljjai
eljjai
Reply to  A

I noticed the same thing in my travels and associations with black American men. I could never understand it and it was downright frustrating at times.

Reply to  A

Lies and deflection.…I’ve been around African Americans, West Indians„ Black Africans, Black Europeans, mixed and one thing all of these groups have in common is self hate…it is not unique among Black Americans.….. You can look at the condition of Blacks everywhere in this world (especially in Africa and the West Indies) and see, imo, that self hatred is one of the reasons, if not biggest reason that Blacks everywhere are living in deplorable conditions.…it might be expressed differently but there among all of these groups.…

Marshall L. Smith III
Marshall L. Smith III
Reply to  lis

This is so true and I too have been around “diaspora”. Self-hatred is a real shard of white supremacy that we all have interiorized. Only conscious self-relfection in all of our choices can correct this scar of colonialism, slavery, etc.

Dei
Dei
Reply to  A

I love yoir comments, but I have kne problem and I think it will answer all your concerns. If African Americans knrw where to connect to in their heritage feom Africa then I believe all your comments would be addressed. But thay knowledge is not conveniently available. If it had not been for the word of mouth in my mother’s family I would not have known thay her grandmother’s biological father was “massa” and so was her mother’s and the mother befote that. The 4th mother back was from Haiti. And her mother from the motherland, but exactly where that… Read more »

Virgia LuvdemColts Wilson
Virgia LuvdemColts Wilson
Reply to  A

Because Africans aren’t using lightning cream, right?

Mandii
Mandii

Stop deflecting. She has a point.

kim c
kim c
Reply to  Mandii

LOL stop deflecting Virgia Luvdem Colts Wilson has a point also. Plus Africa women where more weaves than Americans do.

gg
gg
Reply to  kim c

you mean ‘wear’

Marshall L. Smith III
Marshall L. Smith III
Reply to  Mandii

What point is that Mandii…please enlighten black Americans. I’m sure you have tons of useful solutions…smh.

Marshall L. Smith III
Marshall L. Smith III

YES…or weave !!!!

I'm just saying
I'm just saying
Reply to  A

I agree that US black Americans do have insecurities and lack the understanding and importance of identity. But what you fail to realize is that it is all by design and your choice to date outside of your race, but don’t assume no conscious black man doesn’t exist. That’s just not true at all even you fell for the social construct that there are no good black men around. You got played too!

raisin
raisin
Reply to  A

Thank you. I’m a black American woman living in Europe. I’m so happy to just be me. You go out with a black American man and the conversation always turns to race. So boring.

bosco
bosco
Reply to  A

You don’t have to shame one black woman’s style/sexuality to praise another woman. There’s room for Nicki, Twigs and Lianne. All this talking down to black americans yet you still don’t realize respectability politics won’t save you.

Marshall L. Smith III
Marshall L. Smith III
Reply to  bosco

There is room for all and the initial uninformed poster who is simply known as “A”…(for asshole) should know that Nicki is Trinidadian-American whilst being culturally black American by birth and ‘location’. I’ve never read such a clueless post.

Marshall L. Smith III
Marshall L. Smith III
Reply to  A

You ignorant fool! Firstly, you are stereotyping an entire group of people based on an experience in Whole Foods…IDIOT! YOU have clearly interiorized self-hatred and are ‘anti-diaspora’.…or only when you want to uplift YOURSELF! Do you feel special now? You tend to date outside of your race due in part to self-hatred only reinscribing the “Jezebel” or “Sapphire” stereotype. Girl bye! Read a book or two and get to know a wide cross-section of black Americans.

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

Belefone’s opinions make no sense. Would he not have realised that whites would resent him for marrying a white woman? Unless the woman he married had a father who was a director or film producer exactly how was marrying a white woman going to advance his career?

Proud2B
Proud2B
Reply to  Claudette UK

That also goes for most athletes who in the 60’s and 70’s down to this day date and marry only white women. Back in the 60’s and 70’s though they did it for reasons of status and to get ahead because they thought that white women were better period not just for their careers which I think they still believe. Now they favor light skinned or bi-racial women which I believe in their minds is the equivalent of white women.

Tiffany Williams

Exactly. People kill me with the “BLACK GIRLS ROCK” except if you’re a queer black girl, except if you’re a black girl who does what she pleases with her body, except if you wear weave or are relaxed, except if you listen to Nicki, Beyonce, or Rihanna, except if you like Scandal, Being MJ, and reality tv shows, except if you are disabled, except if you’re fat, except if you’re.….

Michelle Freeman
Michelle Freeman

Thank you, well said.

Proud2B
Proud2B

My goodness! Where are you find these guys who always talk about race? I have been dating since the 70’s and not once have I encountered a man (black) who ruined the nite for me by constantly talking about race. I guess that’s just me though.

raisin
raisin
Reply to  Proud2B

They do when I talk about my interests, travel, friends…

Ed N
Ed N

You premised your hateful rant on a lie: Sidney Poitiers wife when he ‘dated’ Diahann Carrol’ was Black.

Ed N
Ed N

How could Sidney Poitier have told Diahann Carrol he wouldn’t leave his ‘white’ wife for a low class Black slut? His wife the was Black — blacker than Diahann Carroll. Next time you want to rant about Black men be factual.

A Vocal Guest
A Vocal Guest
Reply to  Ed N

Sidney married a white women fool

Ebbe
Ebbe
Reply to  Ed N

Not a rant but yeah his wife was white eventually…just not in the 60’s. And it was his BLACK wife he didnt leave her for.

Crmy Coco
Crmy Coco

Thank you! I’ve noticed that myself. They are always crying about the white man who isn’t even in the room! lol Even when they reject the black woman, as soon as she steps out with a white man, they want to jock block. I don’t know how it is in the rest of the world, but (a lot, not all) black men across America have serious issues.

Transbutter
Transbutter
Reply to  Crmy Coco

I agree with this!

raisin
raisin

Thank you.

787b1
787b1

What she’s saying is stupid. The two famous black men she wanted didn’t want her so she says the reason she was with white men was because they dated white women. Okay, soooooo there are millions of black men to choose from, she just wanted an excuse.If she was secure with who she was marrying she wouldn’t need an excuse in the first place smh. People need to stop using black men as an excuse for everything because it’s getting old.

bella.
bella.
Reply to  787b1

You don’t know what Eartha had do go through back then as not just a black woman, but a black woman of half white ansestry. What was she supposed to do, go get boo’d up with some random black man she wasn’t even attracted to, just to please ignorant fools like you? Puh-leese hop out with that. Black men didn’t want her, therefore, she had to do what made her happy.

Lee
Lee

Belafonte has white grandparents. His children are half white. Sounds to me like for all of his pro-black, anti-colonial, anti-white rhetoric is a smokescreen to cover up his deep-seeded self-loathing of not being a white man.

lindy
lindy

First…miss Eartha was a beauty. Second.…I wonder if mr.Belafonte got where he wanted to go (rolls eye) Third.. A lot of them still feel the same way today…whats the saying’ Black women are good for the struggle but not the celebration’.……but so what..who cares.…Black males cant even feed themselves.please…who cares what MOST of them think, are doing, who theyre doing it with, what theyre doing, or why theyre doing it.…at least Miss Eartha didnt sit around crying about it or sit around waiting on one of them like so many Black women do.SHE EXPANDED HER OPTIONS..Miss Eartha obviously knew her… Read more »

Reply to  lindy

Preach. I could care less about black love, the only thing that matters is love. It’s good to see black women letting go of this black man worshipping attitude.

Leslie Joséphine-Tally
Leslie Joséphine-Tally

When i saw the title i expected the same ” love is love, love has no color blablabla” but then, I saw the truth #PreachItEartha . Im deeply disappointed about what Harry Belafonte told her and the mentality of these great black celebrities #GuessWhosNotComingToDinner . And its right, not much has changed .

Saran
Saran

sigh! black men don’t want black women as life partners and they also don’t want us to have another one besides them. hypocrisy at its finest! It is not our job to sit down and wait for them.

Ashley
Ashley

Omg!!!! So true. I married interracially (I’m black and my husband is white). Prior to that black men didn’t want to marry me. I found myself wanting something that should have been easy but was harder than ever. So I branched out. Now, I find it funny and annoying that when all is said and done those black men and white men that married white girls for the wrong reasons they are always trying to get in favor with a black woman. I can’t event tell you how many married men approach me and say oh if I had only… Read more »

cerulean blue 86
cerulean blue 86

damn. today I notice how Black male celebrities who date non-Black women get a ton of attention and fanfare compared to their counterparts who marry Black women. Or rappers getting more attention for bashing BW than rappers who don’t. This attention usually translates into more money. And Belafonte’s words speak to a similar “what can I get out of it/ me-first” type of attitude. I guess some men are protectors but others are parasites.

blu jamaican
blu jamaican

I always say, you can’t help who you fall in love with. The only thing that should matter in a relationship is how your partner treats you.
There are jerks in ever race; black, white and Asian.
Maybe if the ‘haters’ loved themselves more, other people’s happiness wouldn’t be so painful for them.

Fix it
Fix it

To those of you with SONS please teach them to LOVE themselves and there community and this will STOP happening

DLB
DLB

If i’m not mistaken, Harry Belafonte left his beautiful Black wife & Black daughter for a white women. I remember reading an article about his first child Sherri that it had a psychological effect on her when he left because he would never come around to see her when he would promise to.…Sherri stated she would be looking out the window waiting for him & he some times (or many times) wouldn’t show up.

sanjidude
sanjidude

I’m a 50+ sista who dated my first and only white guy 20 years ago. I wasn’t getting any interest from the brothers but this brave dirty blonde asked me out. There was no reason to say no, other than his color…which really wasn’t a good reason. He was smart, funny and hot so out we went. Same race couples get divorced all the time; that doesn’t keep people together does it? Nope. I’ve now been married to that dirty blonde for 15 years. I’m so glad I said yes to that first date. Rejecting someone based on color is… Read more »

Honestly
Honestly

I don’t mean to be a great lash at black men but after years of being burnt by bm I finally explored other areas and found a nice guy (not saying that all men of other races are nice guys) I just happened to meet a good guy. I think there’s sort of one-sided loyalty when we see black women are the least likely to date out of their race but black men are the MOST likely to marry out of their race and do so at VERY high percentages. It made me sad, and I didn’t want to languish… Read more »