Afro-Brazilian Actress Taunted by Fellow Brazilians on Facebook After Revealing Her Natural Hair

Avatar • Nov 5, 2015

Afro-Brazilian Actress, Taís Araújo, was hit with a barrage of racist comments on her Facebook page after posting this photo:

12191442_473309462793790_1003823303339130739_n

Some of the comments she received included: “who posted the picture of this gorilla on Facebook?” “lend me your hair I wash dishes,” and “I did not know that zoo has camera.” Araújo has reported the vile comments to the Brazilian authorities, however, she has opted against deleting the messages  stating instead:

I won’t delete any of those comments. I want you all to feel the shame I felt: the shame to still have people so cowardly and small in this country…I won’t be intimidated or keep my head down. I’ll continue to do what I do best: work. If my image or the image of my family bothers you, it’s your problem!

Taís Araújo is arguably the most famous black actress in Brazil. Araújo and her equally notable actor husband, Lázaro Ramos, are the most visible black couple in the country. Even though 50% of Brazil’s population is of African descent, black people are rarely seen in the media. Araújo and her husband are breaking barriers every time they appear on their national TV show, “Mr. Brown,” a series is inspired by Beyoncé and Jay Z.

Araújo’s fame has led to an outpouring of support and media coverage of the incident, however, her experience isn’t the first of its kind in Brazil. In July, Maria Julia Coutinho, Brazil’s first black Weather Presenter was also subjected to racist comments.

Araújo’s experiences as a black actress in Brazil are akin to some of the same struggles black actresses face here in the states. It appears as though “blackness” is under attack even in countries where having black skin doesn’t necessarily place you in the minority.

Have you been subjected to racist treatment outside of the US? If so, share your experiences below.

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

Christina J

Oh wow smh that is so sad. And look how beautiful her hair is! We have got to get from the supposed “beauty standards” and just love everyone for who they are!

Tee Tee
Reply to  Christina J

Easier said than done. It’s not really about love as much as it is about domination, power and control.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

Go girl!

Milly
Milly

I love her! I used to watch all her telenovelas, Brazilian Telenovelas are played in several African countries, so I have seen many of hers. I cannot believe such ignorance persists in a country that has the highest black population in the world, outside Nigeria. This lady is gorgeous and talented, and I’m glad she is taking a stand. Makes me want to start watching them again.

Lauren
Lauren

My very first crush was a young boy of Pruerto Rican heritage. We were about twelve years old- l was too afraid to let him know myself, that I “liked him,” so I asked a friend to do it for me. Later that day, I was nervously excited to hear from my friend, that he “liked me,” too. She was reluctant to tell me what he said, but of course I asked that she tell me. Turned out that he told her, that ” l looked like a gorilla.” Hurt and confused, I didn’t understand how anyone could be so… Read more »

Libertad Araceli Thomas
Libertad Araceli Thomas
Reply to  Lauren

Oh some Latinos can be very racista! The first time I was ever called a moyeta(spanish word for the n word) was by a white Puerto Rican, so I learned very early that even though you can be a part of the Latino culture, you’re still very much an outsider in your own community. That is fortunately not every single latino guy, mama. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are sometimes the worst offenders(I’m Afro-Cubana) because in the Caribbean we’re taught light is better, just like in the USA. But find yourself an educated papi. Those are the ones that are more… Read more »

Qasim W. Yasin
Qasim W. Yasin

I am so sick of these racist, (Fuck them) and the horse they mama road in on.

tee
tee

It’s sickening to know that we as a people are continuing to repress our own due to the ignorance that was forced upon us. Today we should know and want to do better. For all those out there that are still brainwashed with closed eyes and ears I pray. I pray for you, your family and friends to wake up. We are allowing years of maltreatment to be carried on from generation to generation, but not by the people that introduced it to us. Looked within yourself and strive to be more, act differently than what was shown to you,… Read more »

CatWalk*Queen*
CatWalk*Queen*

wow that’s sad, her hair is beautiful and thick, what is there to taunt? (ohhh because it’s not enhanced to look like european hair?)

Kevin Bacon
Kevin Bacon

Hair goals

???
???
Reply to  Kevin Bacon

Kevin Bacon wants to look like a black woman? 😛 Kevin, love yourself, lol.

Kevin Bacon
Kevin Bacon
Reply to  ???

lol

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

So sad when people have no pride or kinship in who they are or where they come from.

Neema
Neema

If she’s a gorilla I geuss I would want to be a gorilla too. I read somewhere that until only recently, Brazilians of African heritage and Native Brazilians(indigenous people) were all put under one classification. So basically in Brazil you were either of European Decent(Caucasian) or Non-Caucasian. So the 50% statistic pertains to all non-Caucasian Brazilians not necessarily Afro-Brazilian. I love Brazilian culture. It so vibrant and eclectic. My experiences with Brazilians has been generally positive but I did realise that racial discrimination is very prevalent. It’s very sad but its ingrained and somethings that appear blatantly racist to someone… Read more »

Ron Simmons
Ron Simmons
Reply to  Neema

The sad thing is that from what I witness EVERY WEEK, as a New York City tour guide, I notice the average Brazilian do not look European. They have a mixture of the indigenous native than the European Portuguese. Interestingly, they were rewarded the next Summer Olympics. A very racist country.

ananse77
ananse77
Reply to  Ron Simmons

Mixture of indigenous native, Portuguese and AFRICAN in a very large percentage of the cases. Plus sometimes Italian, German, Japanese, or whatever else.

Layla
Layla
Reply to  Neema

I don’t agree with you I am Afro Brazilian, the situations and things in Brazil not change no today and not tomorrow!
Brazil is the twin face of the United States both peoples of African descent suffer the harsh reality of white racism and white supremacy, where the privileges just waiting for people of European descent!

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Layla

I guess everyone has a different view on this because I have heard that there is no race in Brazil like in the U.S because everyone is mixed and people are united that way, but now when people are labeling themselves as Afro Brazilian, it is dividing the country into black and white people. I feel that even though people were labeled as mixed people, they were not treated the same, so a divide was already present.

ananse77
ananse77
Reply to  Neema

Most of your statements or correct, but in Brazil, there were never just two classifications. Think two dozen instead!

KH49
KH49

She is beautiful and love your hair, those who are taunting wish they had our hair, they want our skin color and for those who are ashamed of their color and who they are I suggest you do not carry their bullshit inferiority complexes. I refuse to take on other people’s issues. To my sisters this really happened to me many years ago when I was up and coming into myself at this time I was wearing my braids, adorned with beads and clips from Afrika and it looked really nice. I was going out to a club with my… Read more »

kaydenpat
kaydenpat

She’s stunning. Racists are stupid (and blind).

GOVCHRIS1988
GOVCHRIS1988

Seriously, Brazil is WAY too color struck. This beautiful woman posts this sumptuous photo of herself, and I just cannot believe people would make vile comments aside from, “You are gorgeous.” I just can’t fathom it.

Gorilla???
Gorilla???

Racism is a disease that keeps people from thinking rationally. This woman is beautiful. Oh, and this whole calling Black people gorilla thing is so played out. If you are going to put forth the time and energy to insult someone, at least be creative.

PadThai2
PadThai2
Reply to  Gorilla???

Racists aren’t capable of anything creative or original. All they can do is destroy. They reject everything beautiful and unique in this world and dedicate themselves to promoting a system of brutality and mediocrity.

LiftYourEyes
LiftYourEyes

Huh…imagine if she was the same skintone as her husband and had similar features to him…I hope she’d have as many supporters…

Phedre No Delauney
Phedre No Delauney
Reply to  LiftYourEyes

Must you bring colorism into this? We’re already attacked by so many people — do we need to attack our own? SMH.

LiftYourEyes
LiftYourEyes

Huh? I’m not attacking her.…where in the post did I even allude to that? No need to reach. I’m talking about non-blacks and how they perceive us based on skin color and features aligning with what they prefer…i’m not pulling it out of thin air, it’s reality.

It doesn’t detract from her beauty or her accomplishment and I’m glad she has lots of people supporting her from racist fools. Hopefully she paves the way for more black brazilian women to be portrayed other than the help or a minor, background role.

Tee Tee

Colourism is the bastard cousin of racism. Everything is kinda related. Compare the support for Blue Ivy’s features vs a North eg. Still, what happened to her is sick and prevalent sadly.

Luciana

OF COURSE we need to bring colorism into this. shes lightskinned and her face features are closer to european ones than lázaro’s (her husband). nobodys saying she doesnt need/deserve support because of it, but dark skinned women dont get the same treatment as lighskinned women and by saying this is we dont mean to attack anyone, we are just making sure ALL black people get the same amount of support

Tee Tee
Reply to  LiftYourEyes

Right. Exactly.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  LiftYourEyes

You must be new here. Bglh members support dark women in comments quite often.

Terry Harris
Terry Harris
Reply to  LiftYourEyes

He is not attacking anyone, he is just stating facts, I am light skinned.

Jenn Gainey
Jenn Gainey

Jealousy and racism go hand and hand give me a break she’s a gorgeous black woman and please explain the big fucking deal.…NOTHING!!

Inny, Meeny, Miny, Mo!
Inny, Meeny, Miny, Mo!

The people most uncomfortable about skin tone are black Brazilians. “WE” are brainwashed. Be who you are with no excuses or apologies! Powwa!

Rahjah Harper
Rahjah Harper

Stay up, you are incredibly beautiful. We need more like you so many women associate beauty with how close they can get to that Euro look they forget how much they natural beauty has influenced all aspects of the beauty enhancing market.

NosSomosTaisAraujo
NosSomosTaisAraujo

This woman is everything! I’ve been a fan of her ever since I seen Da Cor Do Pecado (2004). The racial injustice has to stop! Tais has always stood firm for what she believe in and how she looks and I applaud her for that ! It’s sad that in 2015 racism is still alive especially in a country where blacks make up most of the population.

Jones
Jones

It’s all relative. In the U.S. a lot of “natural” women are trying really hard to make their hair look like hers, either by twisting it, putting it on rods, or wearing textured weaves.

Tee Tee

What’s new really? The whitewashing of Brazil didn’t entire work. But, till the racism is acknowledged, whomp! It’ll be the same. Repeat.

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Tee Tee

How race is viewed there is different versus America. According to them nobody is really racist because everyone is viewed as mixed, but everyone is not treated the same. Now some Brazilians are in fact labeling themselves as black versus mixed,. because of the discrimination. Brazil has a more veiled type of racism versus open racism in some places.

LiftYourEyes
LiftYourEyes

I’m confused by your comment, what do you mean by “he is not attacking anyone”? Who is “he”? Thanks.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  LiftYourEyes

I was confused by yours, so terry made up for that, I guess.

kia
kia

There’s literally nothing wrong with her hair!

???
???
Reply to  kia

And there literally wouldn’t be anything wrong with it if it were a kinkier texture either.

Ms. A

I spoke on this Afro Latino divide earlier on Twitter last week. It’s crazy to think some won’t even acknowledge their slave heritage.

Meee123
Meee123
Reply to  Ms. A

African heritage. I don’t see Jews reducing their entire heritage to the times their ancestors have been slaves. And history is still being written.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Ms. A

Slave Heritage’? you couldn’t just say African. Our Ancestors were human beings who were enslaved.

Elle
Elle

“Have you ever experienced racism outside the U.S.? Ummmm.…yeah. Is there some myth that racism/colorism are the invention and ownership of the US? Here’s a sampling of cities me and others I’ve known have had racist experiences over the years, from name calling, jokes, a literal ‘Black tax’, higher prices, harassment, police harassment, stalking, sex assault, refusal of service, to violence: Barcelona, Lisbon, Tangier, Mumbai, Istanbul, Abuja, London, Rome, Riyadh, Santo Domingo, Bangkok, Belgrade, San Juan, Toronto, Montevideo, Port of Spain, Budapest, Beirut, Sydney, Dakar, Hong Kong, Islamabad, Kingston, Paris, Buenos Aires, Accra, Athens, Seoul, Zagreb, Glasgow, Helsinki, Doha, Jerusalem, Rio,… Read more »

jersonf
jersonf
Reply to  Elle

I have travelled quite a bit and personally I feel it depends on how you conduct yourself, I could be wrong but I have never experienced racism in France although I know it exists, not in the middle east but I have seen racism against Indian and Pakistani people and I’ve also been to Greece where I’ve seen people from Pakistan treated appallingly when their passports were taken away, when I asked should I give my passport the Greek people told me not to worry as I am a visitor but the other people will try and stay in the… Read more »

Bellanaija
Bellanaija
Reply to  jersonf

Your positive experiences do not negate others’ negative experiences. I’ve travelled extensively as well and lived in France with a host family for 6 months- my first time there I had no problems; the second time around was a different story and I certainly didn’t deserve it based upon my “conduct.” You are essentially suggesting and implying that people who experience racism bring it upon themselves by the way they act, which is ludicrous. The shame should fall where it belongs- on the racist perpetrator not the victim or object of their racism.

Dee
Dee
Reply to  jersonf

I don’t know if you are American, but it may be where you come from as well that can cause discrimination or not. I know that in some countries people tend to treat tourists who are from rich countries better compared to a tourist from a third world country at times.

Meee123
Meee123
Reply to  Elle

In which cities/countries were you regarded or treated as a human being? I’m Afro Latina living in Miami and know the Latino community is extremely racist. I’ve heard London has its racism but when I was there I didn’t experience the daily dose of open discrimination and racism I go through here Daily from people from different racial and ethnic groups, some of whom are Latinos and blacks from different ethnicities with obvious colorism issues. I’m in my mid 20s and seriously considering leaving the US, hence my question. How about Amsterdam?

fabienne
fabienne
Reply to  Meee123

I live in Amsterdam and here’s not that great either but not as bad as it is in the USA. The white Dutchmen have a tradition called Sinterklaas. Just check on YouTube. It’s basically about a white man who comes to bring gifts for the kids on December the 5th with his help black Pete. Black Pete is just a white man/woman dressed up like a black person. They have black leggings on, put on a ugly afro wig, paint their face black, put in gold earrings and so on. For many years the black community has been against the way black Pete has… Read more »

Alinette
Alinette
Reply to  fabienne

I live in Holland now and found this tradition completely appealing.

Britt
Britt
Reply to  Elle

Yeah, I’m a black American living in Beijing. Ive literally had cab drivers tell me no, and take another Chinese passenger in my face.

eli
eli
Reply to  Elle

I appreciate my life in the U.S. also but sadly there is sometimes even worse racism in the states.

Lauren Walker
Lauren Walker

She’s breathtaking!!! I just posted about the envy they have..Lol That’s all it is good ole fashion envy. Why go on her page? It’s like they stalk ppl with brown skin. It’s really creepy to have that type of obsession.

Brandee Williams
Brandee Williams

Israel’s going to catch it no matter where we are.

Wendy Tobiassen
Wendy Tobiassen

Sorry for your terrible experience, you are a role model and stunning woman, well done for not belittling yourself to the level of those ignorant and foolish bullies, that only serve to shame themselves and their country. As mayo Angelou stated “Still I rise”. <3

Mimi
Mimi

I’m still laughing at the fact that someone called her ugly. Jealousy, that is all I’m translating this too

trackback

[…] Por  Lisa Jean Francois, do Black Girl with Long Hair […]

beautifully bronzed
beautifully bronzed

It is clear what is going on. This woman and her husband are the most famous a actor and actress in Brazil and people are obviously jealous. They are trying to play the race card to make her feel bad about herself because of color, but this incident should be used to strengthen her. She is very beautiful, successful and talented. People are mad because barriers are being broken and when a person that is accustomed to being the lead is now the tail it burns the hell out of them. Black woman have NO reason whatsoever to EVER eel… Read more »

suganspice68
suganspice68

Amen!

maralondon
maralondon

I agree with everything you have written. They can’t stand to see us in our glory. They want us to continue believe that we are not worthy and we will never be able to achieve the things they achieve on a daily. Pure jealously.

Norma Cookie Davis
Norma Cookie Davis

I know men aren’t calling her ugly. lmbooooooo. Nor this natural hair wearing beautiful woman. I pray to God she is strong like her hair. lmbooooo

suzy`
suzy`

i think she looks awesome. i think that natural black lady hair is the prettiest of all types of hair. i understand it is hard to work with and stigmatized against, but to me it is so lovely. so lovely. i would be so happy if i could grow a big beautiful fro.

Zerohim
Zerohim

As a Brazilian, I just want to reiterate that being racist in this country is so paradoxical. Is paradoxical because almost everyone here is mixed. When I say ‘mixed’, it’s not the American view of it. Generally you can tell when someone is mixed or not, because it’s evident. But in Brasil everyone is mixed in so many ways that a white person has black features and vice-versa! Most of people here are brown (pardo, in Portuguese). Also, a disgusting comment was when a person says “lend me your hair to wash my dishes”, implying that her hair was a… Read more »

Zerohim
Zerohim
Reply to  Zerohim

@QueenBee22:disqus What I wanted to say about the “mixing” in Brazil is that almost everyone here is mixed that bothering a person for being mixed (sometimes it happens in the US) is not a thing to do. And also, there is no “etnicithy culture” lilke in the US. Thanks for the mixing. Just the black culture here that is a bit more homogeneous, mas it is because of the racism (you said about it), and we should congregate more not to see the different cultures inside a country as a “etnicithy thing”, but only as a “country thing”. Thank you… Read more »

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Zerohim

There are some Brazilians I have come across who have told me they are first African and their is nothing wrong with recognising this. The problem arises when others expect you as a person of African descent not to have an association with your origins. Brazil was built on the backs of those who were kidnapped and forced into slavery. The culture has been heavily influenced by African cultures which Brazil just wants to label as being Brazilian. So when has any Brazilian Government attempted to repair the damage done to the Ancestors and the ones who came after them,… Read more »

ananse77
ananse77
Reply to  Zerohim

Yes, the American view of race is not necessarily the best thing to import, even if what you have now is ideal. And like you said, most people in Brazil are brown people that are mixed in various ways over several generations.

Bellanaija
Bellanaija
Reply to  Zerohim

Her speaking up about racism is not what’s polarizing the country- it’s the racists. Place the blame where it belongs. Hiding one’s head in the sand and pretending a problem doesn’t exist doesn’t solve the problem. It is not polarizing to acknowledge your African ancestry when it is has been viewed negatively- it’s empowering.

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Zerohim

I understand what you are saying because different countries view race and ethnicity differently, but even though a person just calls themselves Brazilian without implying “Afro” and “Euro” the person is still treated as such regardless. Even though there have never been groups of blacks or whites as you say, Brazil has a history of racism since the colonial era similar to the U.S, so separation was always there and the reason why I think people are thinking about color now is because they have been mistreated for too long, yet everyone is mixed. I don’t know what you mean about… Read more »

Ceci

I’m really dark black, the darkest in my whole family, and my mother is really pale, almost white. I took after my father, but I even came out darker than him. My whole family seemed ashamed of me. To make it worst I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic, one of the most racist places on earth, where everyone discriminates against you even if they’re just half a shade lighter than you.. All my life growing up I was called names every time I went outside, to the point I went into a deep depression from the time… Read more »

Ron Simmons
Ron Simmons
Reply to  Ceci

Ceci, I hang your head high, I know people who would accept you the way you are as a sister. Don’t give up. Stay strong and determined. Your enemies don’t weep with you, they only rejoice in your failures. It is okay to contact.

Reply to  Ron Simmons

Thank you, Ron, for your kind words.

Lena
Lena
Reply to  Ceci

I came across this site by accident searching some info about hair.
Dear Ceci, please dont let ignorant people to make you feel bad about yourself.God created us all with love and you are beautiful the way you are.
I m russian girl and my father worked in Senegal.People with dark skin are beautiful like any other people.There will always be people who will want to humiliate others just because they are insecure about themselves.Please be proud of yourself and your skin colour.
Also this actress is gorgeous,people who made hate comments about her hair are just pathetic haters.

Reply to  Lena

Thank you so much, Lena, for taking the time to write such encouraging words. I’m working hard not to let ignorant people get to me anymore.

Felina Femenina
Felina Femenina
Reply to  Ceci

Very dark skin is beautiful and perfect. I’ve always admired the smoothness of very dark skin, and the way it catches the light and just glows. I think very dark skin is an ideal skin tone on women, because it’s exactly what every woman wants her skin to be…soft-looking and radiant. Be proud. Your family felt your blackness betrayed the fact that they had a lot of blackness bloodline. That was their issue, to feel blackness is something shameful. It wasn’t about you; it’s about them. It’s sad that you were a casualty in their war against themselves and their own… Read more »

Ceci

Thank you, Felina, you’re right, my family felt that I exposed their blackness to the world just by existing. But your kind comment proves to me that not everyone out there is ignorant.

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Ceci

Wow, I’m so sorry about all of these painful things you’ve gone through. I know it may not be much consilation for now, but things are changing. We are in the trenches every day, trying to rid the world of the hateful and vileness of colorism. Although these are small strides, but stride nevertheless.

Just don’t let the pain and hurt take hold. I know this is easier said then, but remember, you were not created for people, you were created for God.

Andrea Garcia
Andrea Garcia
Reply to  Ceci

Sorry to hear that you’ve been treated unfairly. I could say the description of your family is similar to my own with a couple of exceptions. I was born darker than most in my family, however my family always taught me that was the beauty of my heritage. We come in all colors , textures of hair etc. That is what makes us unique. My family even reminded me it took others to dilute your beautiful dark skin. The darker the skin the purer the blood. Be proud of your color, black truly is beautiful 😉

nellboogie
Reply to  Ceci

Ceci, please know that not all people believe in such nonsense. Black people are beautiful in every hue and shade and I pray that you are able to validate your own shades of browns and blacks as such. Do not allow antiquated notions and the ignorance of others to stop you from shining brightly and flourishing…peace be unto you always, my sister.

QuYahni Lewis
QuYahni Lewis
Reply to  Ceci

I can only imagine your pain. I am saddened that people are still so lost; and that the pain we suffer due to our skin color is worst inflicted by our own people. I am a yellow-skinned Black&Latina woman who has always been attracted to darker skin. I’ve always seen the beauty, even when my friends would tease me about my dark-skinned boyfriends. When we attack and degrade our own for such meaningless reasons, it is a true testament to how we feel about ourselves. Very unfortunate.

Lenora
Lenora
Reply to  Ceci

Know that you are a beautiful person, valuable because God created you. Try not to feel rejection or inferior over the comments of some ignorant people. Your value comes from God, not from people.

Kay
Kay
Reply to  Ceci

Cici my love. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL JUST THE WAY YOU ARE! People with really dark skin are protected from the sun and more resilient to just about every element in life. Your heart, hair, eyes and bones are stronger because of the melanin in your skin. Perfectly perfect. You are chocolate…the most sought after sweet treat, you are earth..trees and grass grow from earth. You are everything They wish they could be. All my love Cici???

wut
wut

her hair is beautiful! curls and volume, wat woman doesnt want that? surely it was only men complaining 😛 but i dont understand their dislike

eli
eli

I’m still trying to figure out what is wrong with this picture. SHE IS GORGEOUS!!!!!

Jai
Jai

This woman is gorgeous!!!! Regardless of hair texture or skin tone, anything that looks close to, or reflects any semblance of Black African ancestry, is deemed animalistic (hence gorilla comment) and ugly. This backlash is the result of years of colonialism and being socialized to equate blackness with ugliness. Brazilians, among others, must strive to unlearn and challenge the myths they’ve been acculturated to believe as truth. All shades of Black are beautiful!!! All textures of Black hair are beautiful! Embrace you and love you!

Andrea Zenkiea Hjerpe
Andrea Zenkiea Hjerpe
Reply to  Jai

Amen, Amen Jai! It’s really tragic that these sorrowful racist Brazilian people that posted this garbage on FB, have this corrupted vile idea in their head that Giselle Bundchen is the supreme ideal standard of Brazilian beauty. Truth be told Tais Arajugo is absolutely one of the most stunning women I’ve ever seen! Giselle Bundchen looks like a piece of poop compared to her. My God it’s a shame how some people can be fooled and not see True Staggering Beauty right in front of them blinded by sickening ignorance and bigotry.

Ashley Gowdy
Ashley Gowdy

Such a beautiful story!

Ceci

Thank you, Kay , your words are very encouraging. I really wish someone had spoken those words to me when I was growing up. That would have given me the strength to conquer the world.

Ceci

Thank you, Lenora, your words are very kind and I really appreciate them.

Ceci

Thank you, QuYahni, for seeing the beauty in dark skin. People like you give me hope of a better world.

Ceci

Thank you, nellboogie, I’m doing my best to love myself now. I really appreciate your encouraging words.

Ceci

Thank you, Andrea, I always knew that had my family shown me how to be strong instead of instilling shame in me I would have been able to face any insults that strangers threw at me. You were very lucky indeed.

Ceci

Thank you for reminding me that I’m created by and for God. That really puts things into perspective.

nationwyde
nationwyde

Let the idiots post their vile comments on line because they dare not say them in public!

Ceci

Adora, I’m sorry you had to go through this. I went through the same torment growing up in the Dominican Republic. There were 2 cute little white brothers that had so much hate for me it was shocking. I couldn’t understand the contempt in their eyes every time they saw me. They were very young, it was almost as if they were afraid of me. It hurt me deeply. But anyways, I’m glad you found such a wonderful husband and that your life is better now.

Maria
Maria

Why does she have to be “Afro-Brazilian”, and not just Brazilian? I think labels like that create barriers. She’s a Brazilian woman.

like duh
like duh
Reply to  Maria

i’m brasilian and i never heard that term before either

Thobeka Lee
Thobeka Lee
Reply to  Maria

People are classified differently in the US than they are in Brasil. In the United States we classify by ancestry (see: the one-drop rule) hence terms like African-American. Since this article is written from a United States perspective it makes sense that the author would use parallel terminology. In Brasil she would be considered “preta” o “negra” meaning black, or “parda” meaning multiracial. It’s classified more so by appearance than by ancestry. It’s a slightly different way of thinking than in the US. On the one hand I agree that barriers can be damaging but on the other hand, from a… Read more »

maximilion
maximilion
Reply to  Thobeka Lee

Not sure I agree-any person of black descent ALWAYS HAS to define their heritage ‑no other race has to do this.
Black British-whites are just called English people,in USA,African Americans..while whites are just Americans..etc,its a way of white ruling in hierarchy of letting black people know your different-the country you are born in isn’t yours ‑thats why I always refer to someone black AS BLACK.

Thobeka Lee
Thobeka Lee
Reply to  maximilion

Not sure where you are getting the idea that only whites in the States are just called Americans. If you are talking about nationality then we are all *just* American. If you are talking about ethnicity, which seems to be the topic here, there is no such thing as simply “American.” We all use qualifying terms including white folks. e.g. White or European-American Black or African-American Indigenous or Native American Asian-American Mexican-American etc I agree that race has historically been used by Europeans as a way to subjugate many other races. White colonialism has ravaged this world in unspeakable ways. Racism… Read more »

maximilion
maximilion
Reply to  Thobeka Lee

Nope,never heard of white Americans or any other terming them-self this way,its just American but its very common to hear African ‑American.
Black people are the only race that have to do this ‑its almost like the white Elite are systematically letting you know that USA will never really be your home because you don’t belong there.

Diane
Diane

She is beautiful, her hair is beautiful.Everything about this woman is beautiful. What the hell is wrong with people.

Anthro Pop
Anthro Pop

She is gorgeous! I can’t even.…shit like this makes me hate people. Fuck’em all.….

Delia
Delia
Reply to  Anthro Pop

That key board courage is a mother…

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

Internet gave people like them a reason to sit behind their computer and talk mess. Keep it going girl?

Zerohim
Zerohim

What I want to say about the “mixing having different views” is that we don’t point at a person who is mixed, because almost everyone is, and there is no “culture of a ethnicity” like in the US.

Thank you for the comment about the veiled racism.

Ron Simmons
Ron Simmons
Reply to  Zerohim

Zerohim, could it be that the Brazilian school system taught all Brazilian that there is no racism, there is no problem. As a tour guide, I regularly talk to people from Brazil. Very very few are darker-skinned Brazilians. I often wonder why is it that I don’t see darker-skinned coming to New York City. The very few that I do see will mention it is about economics. Really? Is this it what taught in their school systems. With that thought in mind, what kind of REAL help to help those to come out of poverty? Brazil was the last Western… Read more »

Zerohim
Zerohim
Reply to  Ron Simmons

Luckily I was educaed to see the social differences and the structure, racism included. The problem is when a economical backgorund is to blamed “because of racism”, but in fact in cant me explained by other reason, like the size of the Nanny State that wants to hold everything in their hands and even control the Market, which could easily fix some problems of the Economy if it wasn’t so regulated, also the high taxes. But if the State keep doing it, they will fuel they propaganda of the “-ism is everywhere” and will fix nothing. I think I explained… Read more »

JoySto Davis
JoySto Davis

She is gorgeous wish my hair looked like her’s hold them curls up high girl.

Vman
Vman

just disgusting.. Unfortunately the racism that exists in South America hasn’t even been addressed.. research Argentina… at one point some of their biggest cities were over 50 percent black… what happend there was basically genocied.. to such a degree that current Argentinains proudly say there is no black in Argentina… funny because their first leader was know as the chocolate dictator… Just keep at it people.. we need to do our own thing.. not anti anyone just pro us.. trust me what we do white culture wishes they could do…Western women are more insecure that you can even imagine… be… Read more »

Ms. A

No I’m not politically correct 100% of the time . And last time I checked, slavery is alive and well although “we” may experience a measure of freedom today. Focus your criticism on the ones who enslave and minimize our people.

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Ms. A

I learnt sometime ago that referring to the Ancestors is to degrade and dehumanise them just the same for this is why I don’t use the slave label. The Enslavers were/are all too happy to see us as simply slaves like that was all we we’re good for. Why would I not be critical of those who believe they can get away with inhumane practices towards another human being?

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Ms. A

I need to rephrase my previous statement as it doesn’t make sense. Referring to anyone as a slave is to dehumanise them. Nobody woke up one morning and decided they were going to be a slave, that status had been thrust upon our Ancestors by uncivilised folk who suffered serious inferiority complexes. I have too much respect and grievances for them, for the things they went through, to reduce them as just slaves.

Ms. A

Although “we” have some measure of freedom, slavery is alive and well. Focus your politically correct criticism to the ones who enslave and degrade people.

ibutcherii
ibutcherii

If you consider how the Black race is portrayed in corporate media around the World, it is no wonder why we as a people, especially those of us speaking different languages, do not identify with each other, The Curse of Babel.

What many of Us fail to realize is that, They are serious when They say that, no matter which ethnic group referring, We all look alike to THEM.
( The Horrid Elitist Minority )

Juan Rodriguez breaks down why Dominicans don’t identify as Black.

Ron Simmons
Ron Simmons

I knew about Brazil and Dominican republic but Cuba too?

badgyrl_310
badgyrl_310

It appears as though “blackness” is under attack even in countries where having black skin doesn’t necessarily place you in the minority.” It’s called global white supremacy (ex: Apartheid in South Africa).

Tam b
Tam b

Come on, she is an actress! Famous people get hated on all the time. Like that segment where celebrities read mean tweets about themselves on one of those late night shows. A few people don’t like her hair and that’s considered an attack on blackness? She’s still getting acting and modeling jobs right? What if she did something crazy to her hair, like shaved the sides bald and got a spikey purple mowhawk? Wouldn’t she get some negative remarks? Kinky coily hair is not mainstream, and when you make a living in the public eye you have to be prepared… Read more »

Fatima Mohamed
Fatima Mohamed
Reply to  Tam b

Its definitely an atrack on blackness because she doesnt get hate when she wear hair thats commom with whites but as soon as her black characteristics show she gets hate and the reason for this is because so many people se white as the “standard” and they see anything else as wrong. Btw about the jimmy kimmer hate tweets, many people criticize an actors talent! Not something they cant change (race).

Delia
Delia
Reply to  Tam b

There’s a difference between criticism and an attack. This actress is being attacked by racists in her country. She is not being criticized by Brazilian beauty blogs, but being harassed on Facebook and other social media by bigots and racists comparing her to a monkey. The sad thing is that you think this is just ‘a few people in Brazil’. Sweet heart, it is MUCH more. And to minimize this incident with Asian and white natural hair being natural??? GTFOH!!! Those Asians and whites would NEVER be harassed and attacked and equated to an ape like this actress has. So… Read more »

Joy
Joy
Reply to  Tam b

The most stupid comment up here is awarded to you. Hands down!

PRIMUS
PRIMUS

When men told you women not wear Brazilian weaves, you called every man all sorts of names the feminist dictionary taught you. Now fix this mess.

PRIMUS
PRIMUS

US is better, because it is brought to the media’s attention.

trackback

[…] faux locs might smell like weed or patchouli oil. Last week, Afro-Braziallian actress Taís Araújo posted a Facebook photo of herself with natural hair—and got loads of racist comments in […]

Felina Femenina
Felina Femenina

Wow. The people insulting her must be blind as bats, or crazy. This woman is gorgeous.

Reallytruly
Reallytruly

Jealousy. It’s a terrible thing.

Blessed
Blessed

Girl I love ur hair I wish I had ur hair but I have to weave to get what u have NATURALLY it’s a blessing show that beautiful head of hair n don’t give no place to the devil haters. PEACE N SMILES

mrhowell2002
mrhowell2002

Jealousy doesn’t look good on people… On day they are going to meet God is going to b a sad day…

jersonf
jersonf

Without a shadow of doubt, I have witnessed this ‘passport racism’

jersonf
jersonf

To be clear I did say ” I don’t doubt anything you say just that I’m sure I can go to most of those places you mentioned without problems,” Maybe I’m not the best person at putting across a point, when i went to the middle east (dubai) they have a habit of queue jumping non Arabs, you pull them back and tell them not today, you will automatically gain respect, you do nothing or get overwhelmed by the situation and you will end up playing second fiddle. It’s all about counter racism and knowing what to do when a… Read more »

Catherine Canary Simmons
Catherine Canary Simmons

My God…she’s sensational. These people clearly wouldn’t know style, power, beauty or grace if it hit them in the face with a pole.

Angela Urquhart
Angela Urquhart

Her hair is beautiful! Good she is standing proud despite the shameful comments of so called humans.

Robert Rogers
Robert Rogers

This is clearly a representation of the global effects of white supremacist ideology!! I’m so happy people are waking up to its deceptive intent to destroy the prolific minds of people with brown and dark brown Hue throughout the world.

ncmathsadist
ncmathsadist

Some people have all of their taste in their stupid mouths. She’s beautiful.

ella harris
ella harris

I’m telling you there are just stupid ignorant people walking around on this planet, jealousy pure and simple, with nothing better to do. she’s very pretty, love her hair.

gigi
gigi

TAUNTED!?! something about this doesn’t seem real. This woman looks like a freighting goddess. I don’t believe it.

super
super

ABSOLUTELY!! You keep showing the world who we are and if they don’t know, well, they better ask someone.

Jin Mrtwoeleven Minter
Jin Mrtwoeleven Minter

REALLY? THIS WOMAN IS STUNNING! Y’ALL DUMB ASSES KEEP PUSHING THESE GODDESSES OVER TO THE REAL NIGG…WE’LL TAKE HER IN THE RACIAL DRAFT.

Beee
Beee

When I was 17 I had friend who got a new a girlfriend. girlfriend messaged me messages from my male friends phone saying I was “ugly fat black so and so”. One of the first times I experienced bad racism due her being threatened by me and his friendship.
he didn’t do much just stayed silent.

geneanboynton
geneanboynton

They are truly jealous and threatened by TRUE beauty. Araujò you are a strikingly beautiful woman that represents the African American race well. Your skin is flawless and your hair is beautiful. Don’t allow the ignorance of “Haters” to get you down. Keep your head up and continue to do your thing.

pricklypilgrim
pricklypilgrim

Appalling! She’s an incredibly beautiful woman — I and many others would kill for her hair (not sure what I’d kill, but I’d do it for that hair!)

Andrea Garcia
Andrea Garcia

Beautiful pic, people are just jealous.

Doliza1
Doliza1

Racism is a sign of self hatred. If you love yourself you cannot perpetuate such despicable behavior is reserved for baboons and even they don’t do this. She is gorgeous!

LusciousDC
LusciousDC

Envy, Jealousy, and just plain hate is an evil thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this woman or her hair. She’s actually beautiful. Some people can’t love themselves so they pick at others.

Suzanne Ennazus
Suzanne Ennazus

I don’t get their mentality to taunt her. Some people tease black women for wearing weaves. I think women in general get put down for whatever as a form of control. Women used to be burnt at the stake for being witches, for their healing skills, and get called crazy for their nurturing skills if they take in homeless animals.

The Honest Guest
The Honest Guest

Stunning

Adora Mateus
Adora Mateus

Growing up I was told by my mother that I was too black to wear black and that I should marry a light skinned man with good hair for the sake of my potential children, apparently I managed to get by because I had nice white teeth and almost waist length jet black hair that I cld blow dry straight with out a relaxer! I was called a lier when I said my hair was real or natural, by black people of course, guess they thought I was too dark to have such length or texture! I was the only… Read more »

negrita
negrita

I’ve lived in Brazil and have to say the black women there, like black women everywhere are some of the most beautiful WOMEN in the world, with every shade, every size and hair type you can imagine. I think the hatred is obvious, pure jealousy. She’s gorgeous! and trust me they know it. The black women in Brazil and here for that matter, are the secret paradigm. They celebrate round booties and curly wild hair but they’ll have some white woman with a booty job, big lips and a curly perm reflecting these attributes. Sort of like here Kim K Angelina Jolie… Read more »

LM
LM

This is how stupid racist are they are basing what you are on skin tone..well my grandfather was a very white looking black and if you didnt know him you would have thought he was white. And her hair in the bible it says God features has hair is white like wool it didnt say straight hair and it says feet of bronze it doesn’t say white. I would much rather have my features similar to the creator. Bronze is not white. Why in the world would black people want skin tone that no only burns and peels like a snake… Read more »

Kenneth Rellum
Kenneth Rellum

This racist sexist corrupt country is nothining but a beautiful lie of samba. Far more worse than South Africa under the apartheid regime.

Colethia