This Brush Alone Will Straighten Natural Hair

Avatar • Oct 7, 2015

Dafni ceramic straightening brush natural hair

A few days ago, Kimberly Satterwhite posted a video on Facebook straightening her daughter’s natural hair with the Dafni Ceramic Straightening Brush. After one brush through, and in less than two minutes, a good sized section of the girl’s hair went from stretched to completely straight. If you cannot see the embedded video below, check it out here.

About the brush

dafni rush

The brush itself is a ceramic straightening tool that heats up to 185 degrees in under one minute according to the Dafni website. The Italy-based company boasts that an average of 2–3 minutes is all that is required for a straightening session:

Brushing is the ultimate most intuitive way to self-style the hair, hair is to be brushed and not ironed. Therefore, the DAFNI brush is a natural and convenient way to style both the front and the back of the hair!

Furthermore, the DAFNI brush consists of a unique 3D surface that is substantially wider than a traditional straightener; hence the brush styles very large strands of hair in each stroke and can shorten the straightening time by as much as ten times. For example, if you would normally straighten your hair in 30 minutes, with DAFNI you will be good to go in about 2–3 minutes. If your hair would normally take 45 minute with a straightener you will achieve your polished look in about 5–6 minutes with DAFNI.

The brush will run you about $300 on the Dermstore website and…it’s currently sold out.

Would you try out the Dafni straightening brush?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Marlena Tyrell
Marlena Tyrell

Looks legit. But does it pull out hair, do you have to blow out first, what about the roots? I would need more reviews before I would buy this.

JLTR
JLTR

Maybe.

I’ve put off straightening my hair again for years (mainly because all I want to do is see the length, and I’m not sure that alone is worth the potential heat damage), and while this is interesting, it seems like there are issues when it comes to getting at the roots of the strands. If I’m going to spend $300+ on something potentially harmful, I want it to at least work perfectly~

Also, I’d honestly prefer to purchase a product that genuinely takes AA hair types into consideration.

nylse

Only if it was given to me.

Nei
Nei

Sooo… straighten natural hair using heat…with a hot brush instead of a hot comb. Novel.

Tammy Allen
Tammy Allen

I looked on their website and I did not see any before and after photos of any Black women. In fact, one reviewer wrote: “Not for curly, kinky, zig zaggy, wavy uneven hair This product looks great — I was hopeful. I got it and honestly it did create flatter hair once my overall hair was already dry. It did not do a great job at getting to the root. It flattened out about 50% which if that is worth it to you to get it, then you will be happy with it. It did not make my hair flat… Read more »

Junie
Junie
Reply to  Tammy Allen

If it straightens using heat, then it works on wavy, kinky, zig zag hair also. Hopefully someone or a Rep for the product will demonstrate on Naturally Kinky Textured hair.

Lauralei99
Lauralei99
Reply to  Tammy Allen

Please let us know how the refund process goes.

Beans
Beans

So it’s like a hot comb, but a hot brush instead, interesting! I’m trying to stay away from heat for a while but this seems like it could be set to do minimal damage if you do use heat.

Niesha
Niesha

$300?????? wow

Junie
Junie

I’ll wait for it to make its way around the mass market and once it drops to maybe $125 better yet I’ll wait for the $49 knock off to hit the market.

Saran
Saran

I’d love to try this. But will the voltage of the brush match the voltage of the power provided in my country. I heard a friend say that all the electronic appliances she bought in the U.S broke down because of unsuitable power voltage. I’m still tempted though

Vee
Vee

Editor should correct the article — it heats up to 185 celsius which is 365 Fahrenheit for the American readers…

rainbow
rainbow

Works like a hot comb.

Cosita
Cosita

I saw something similar in Target by Revlon for $50. It was more a paddle brush. I don’t straighten but thought I’d pass it along.

Keneesha Hodge

Um. Yeah, not gonna work for me. I can tell

lecia p
lecia p
Reply to  Mom_of_IV

Wow! It really does look the. Same for $210 less. Not sure if the max heat are the same but still a good alternative!

Trish Galimore

Definitely an interesting brush! I’d be willing to at least give it a try, but I’ll wait until that $300 price tag goes down.

Angiemama=samboandvisaversa
Angiemama=samboandvisaversa

Damnn this company is bout to make a killing. $300 a pop? Nah helll with that, you have top notch ceramic irons that you purchase on Amazon for a fraction of the cost. If and when it’s gets under 100 dollars maybe.

LBell
LBell

Only if you paid me…and you’d better be ready to pay me A LOT.

Charlena Thompson
Charlena Thompson
Reply to  LBell

lol #agreed

kia
kia

Nah that’s direct heat. No thanks

ebaiden
ebaiden

what do i look like trying to pay 300 bucks for a brush?

Kat
Kat

When I first saw this…I was skeptical. Something didn’t seem right. Now, I know, not sure of the overall effects on hair, but the price is insane!
I am almost positive, the a US company could do better for much less.

lauryn
lauryn

So basically I’m still going to have to stretch my hair and thoroughly detangle it first, then use this brush? Why would I pay $300 when I barely use a hot comb and this product makes straightening out my hair no easier?

Kiara
Kiara
Reply to  lauryn

You have to detangle your hair before straightening it PERIOD. And by stretched hair they just meant that it was blown out first (which you have to do ANYWAY before you iron or use a hot comb through your hair)

bosslaydee
bosslaydee

what about the roots though?

PrimmestPlum
PrimmestPlum
Reply to  bosslaydee

That’s a good point. A brush wouldn’t be able to get in as close as a hot comb to get to your roots or those spindly hairs at the temple.

Maitefa Angaza
Maitefa Angaza

Why wouldn I want to straighten my hair and be limited to a few styles that everybody else has, when I can glorify the beautiful, versatile hair nature gave me in a wide variety of hairstyles?!

ScienceNerd
ScienceNerd

The 185 degrees is Celsius which is about 365 Fahrenheit just as an FYI

lecia p
lecia p

Doubt it would get you super straight. Maybe poofy straight…guess it depends on what you like..
my hair is super fine so when straightened too much I don’t like it. I have zero volume!I’d rather do Bantu knots then use my $40 ceramic flat iron. Save myself $260…and maybe pay a BILL!!smh $300??gtfo!!they think women are soo desperate for straight hair. First $200 flat irons…now $300 ceramic brushes? Please!!!

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon

NO WAY! No more perms,heat, or chemicals. If I want straight hair I’ll go out & get a wig & keep my precious hair in a protective style under it. NO WAY !

PrimmestPlum
PrimmestPlum

If it works like a hot comb…why don’t you just get a hot comb? For a lot less, and for a lot more efficient straighten capabilities. The little girl’s hair wasn’t straight and the brush looks like it would seriously pull and drag at your hair in a way a hot comb wouldn’t.

Elle78
Elle78

Before anyone happily plunks down $300 for snakeoil: where is DAFNI incorporated? who owns the company? who is their CEO/behind this company? where is the product manufactured? is it FDA approved not to electrocute you? what materials is the brush made of? what are some of their other/past products? The website looks flimsy and has NO information. Besides, a cheap, old-fashioned, durable hot comb — or stove flat iron — that costs a fraction of this and literally lasts decades is no longer a good option ’cause.…..? And btw, there’s no proof — other than paid press releases — that… Read more »

Adoreimi
Adoreimi

I call bullshit

NicoleminCT
NicoleminCT

Well, when I went and read reviews, black people who used the brush felt ripped off because it does not do the root of the hair, not to mention the video poster is a PAID ADVERTISER.
Only works with hair is still wet but again doesn’t do much for the roots. Notice the woman in the video only did the bottom piece of the hair. Once you get to the middle into the top it won’t work. Go read the reviews first!!!

Bella
Bella
Reply to  NicoleminCT

The Dafni is actually only meant to be used on dry hair. I definitely wouldn’t use it on wet hair ever. Plus — as to the matter of the roots, hair straighteners are inflexible and can never quite reach the roots of your hair without you burning yourself. The flexible tips of the Dafni are a lot better at navigating the shape of the head when giving a final brush over the straightened hair.

T
T

Her hair was not that coarse…

Rebecca
Rebecca

So if it doesn’t make your life any easier what’s the point in shelling out $300 for a glorified hot comb?

Bella
Bella
Reply to  Rebecca

Maybe the fact that it gives you almost the exact same look as straightened hair in 10x less time and without half the damage that straighteners can do.

Rebecca
Rebecca
Reply to  Bella

Lol “exactly same look as straightened hair” for whooo? I can see this working for people with fine hair. But this would be a nightmare on my 4c hair. I’ve got to blow dry my hair then brush through it with a heated brush, which mind you has to be at the same temperature as a flat iron there is no avoiding that. Only to be left with a glorified blow out but with an additional step and poofy roots. Whoever said that this would save your hair from heat damage or cause less damage than the alternative is kidding… Read more »

Charlena Thompson
Charlena Thompson
Reply to  Rebecca

lol Bella paid for it. I think she is trying to justify and validate her purchase to us but more importantly she is trying to convince herself why she paid all that money for it #sipstea #somebodyhadtosayit

CDub
CDub

I have been looking for ceramic combs. No heat just ceramic. I bought two at Marshalls (they were from France) and they really calm down the frizziness in my hair.

Tina
Tina

I got this brush from hourglassexpress and it’s only $80 and works perfectly

penny
penny
Reply to  Tina

Same here! I have very thick, curly hair and it worked great on me.

Bella
Bella

Firstly, obviously different hair types react differently to heat styling and thick, coarse hair like this girl’s is usually pretty dry. The brush works a lot better if you add a little Moroccan Oil or something before you brush it just to give it a little more hydration. With the bit about the roots — I don’t know if you’ve ever actually straightened your hair with a hair straightener but it’s impossible to get all the way to the roots without burning yourself. With the Dafni, once you’ve let your hair down and you’re giving it a final brush over,… Read more »

Charlena Thompson
Charlena Thompson
Reply to  Bella

ok. I’m convinced. Bella sold me! Bella sold me on the fact that she very clearly MUST be an employee of the company sent here to tell us all how the Dafni ain’t all bad! #nowimabelieverrrr

Bella
Bella

Its just meant to be a quicker alternative to straightening. On average it takes me 45> minutes to straighten my hair properly. With the Dafni I get almost the exact same look in under 10 minutes.

Charlena Thompson
Charlena Thompson
Reply to  Bella

so.. you’re saying you paid for that thing? full price?

Neffei
Neffei

geez whats the temperature on that thing

Andy Wang

yes, i agree. no need pay $300.00, 30$ is enough. Wholesale at http://hair-straightening-brush.com/

farya
farya

I’ve been using the Electra Hair Brush! Works exactly the same, and it’s only $56!! Check it out: https://electrahairbrush.com/ss8/index.php?afid=1985&sid=BLOG

Charlena Thompson
Charlena Thompson

Nope. I won’t be using it. When I want to wear my hair straight I like it to be silky straight, not poufy straight. I could do that with just a blow dryer. Smh #notsold

Destiny
Destiny

True

Commany
Commany

First of all, her hair is not that straight and that brush doesn’t seem like it would get the roots well. Secondly, why would you pay $300 for a glorified hot comb that probably pulls your hair out and gives you the results of a blow dryer? Oh and also, you can find one of these for 30$ on Amazon.

Jessy