Like Uber for Natural Hair: I Tried an On-Demand Hair Service

Avatar • Oct 11, 2015

Let’s face it, most women have a beauty regimen. We may not always be dressed to the nines, but maintaining a nice outward appearance is important. This, of course, includes our hair. Many of us jumped on the natural hair bandwagon because:

1. Natural hair is dope
2. The natural hair gurus on YouTube had us convinced we too could go the route of natural beauty without breaking bank or spending our entire Saturday at the beauty salon.

Aside from the allure of having a healthy head of hair, the “DIYness” of natural hair has been a major selling point.

But what if you’re a naturalista who has tried and failed at the at home twist-out? Or you’ve been rocking your Jackson 5 inspired fro and now you’re looking to go Lupita, but your boyfriend’s barber just doesn’t come up to snuff? Or what if you’ve got somewhere special to go and your homegirl doesn’t get off of work early enough to come over and lay your edges down good and proper? What do you do?

That’s where a service like Beautylynk.com comes into play. Founded only 3 months ago by 29-year-old Rica Elysee of Boston, Beautylynk promises to be the Uber for hair and beauty. According to their website, Beautylynk is on-demand beauty service that brings personal, state of the art, licensed beauty professionals directly to you to care for all of your unique beauty needs at your home, work or hotel.

beautylynk-founder-rica-elysee

Rica Elysee, Founder of Beautylynk

Elysee, who is also the founder of Boston Naturals, an 1,100 member meetup group, says Beautylynk was born out of the needs of her group members:

I’d get emails everyday from women who wanted recommendations for stylists, but when I’d send them somewhere, there would be long waits for appointments…People also wanted to be able to see the work of the stylists I was recommending.”

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 12.47.18 PM

Finding a stylist who is both timely and skilled in natural hair care is a rarity in Boston, says Elysee. Even more frustrating is lack of visibility of these stylists. They are hidden, sometimes in salons that don’t even cater to ethnic hair. “Beautlynk solves all of that. It’s the answer for the everyday woman who wants her beauty services done quickly, efficiently and at her convenience.”

So how does it work?

1. Go on Beautylynk

2. Choose your Service

3. Select the date/time of your service

4. Select your hair stylist or makeup artist (you can review their portfolio before booking)

5. Pay for your service (tax and tip is included)

6. Your stylist or Makeup Artist shows up at your place ready to go

Beautylynk stylists have been background checked and currently work in the field. For them, Beautlynk provides an extra revenue stream, while allowing for more creativity and networking than what’s permissible in the salon. “Our professionals get the opportunity to meet more people, grow their portfolio, and work in creative settings like fashion shows and photoshoots,” says Elysee.

Currently, Beautylynk services Massachusetts with plans to expand to Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Atlanta, Washington DC and Virginia.  The Beautlynk App will launch in the next few months.

To see a Beautlynk Stylist at work check out this video:

Do you think you need a service like Beautylynk in your city? Share your thoughts below!

About Lisa Jean Francois

I'm a Lipstick-obsessed Journalist and Fashion Blogger. You can find me over on my blog or youtube channel swatching lippies and strutting around in 5-inch heels. I'm a also a brand coach, specializing in video marketing and digital brand development. Find me @lisaalamode.

herlucidsky

Wow! The Uber of hair and beauty! I really enjoy articles like this. There is room for everyone to be successful at what they do. Continuous success to you Rica Elysee

Toni W
Toni W

DEFINITELY needed in Chicago!

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Toni W

Seriously…I’m sitting here like: WHERE was this service when I was a young twentysomething professional living in Chicago *ahem* years ago?? I would have GLADLY paid for someone who worked around MY schedule. Y’all better not sleep on this!

BeautyLynk
BeautyLynk
Reply to  Toni W

We are on our way in 2016 make sure to watch our social media for updates

Dominique
Dominique

I live in Colorado too so i know your pain. It sucks that we don’t have that many hairstylists let alone natural hair stylists in our area. This would be awesome for Colorado!

Christine224
Christine224
Reply to  Dominique

Omg I too live in CO and it’s super annoying trying to find a really good stylist that can work around my time. Ugh! If you’re reading this, pease consider expanding to Colorado too Rica Elysee and best of luck with your businesses.

Beautylynk
Beautylynk
Reply to  Christine224

Hi Ladies! We have a contest coming up to be able to vote for the cities we should go to. Make sure you follow us on social media.

venezolanatrini .
venezolanatrini .

Miami too pls

Lillie
Lillie

I agree!

mibtp
mibtp

How do you keep the flakes out of the system? Trial and error, or recommendations before allowing them to sign up as stylists?

BeautyLynk
BeautyLynk
Reply to  mibtp

We skill verify and vet each of the professionals before they are invited to join our platform.

Divadia
Divadia

Definitely needed here in Fairfax Virginia they don’t have anything here for a black female’s hair!

Carmen
Carmen

I think it’s a wonderful idea! One recommendation‑I think they should have the customer upload pictures of their natural hair and a picture of the style they are requesting so each party knows in advance what’s what.

BeautyLynk
BeautyLynk

Keep up with us on social media to see if they are on our list for 2016

Pennylane22
Pennylane22

Is this franchised or managed from one location and then have stylists all over the country. I would think pricing would vary from city to city. Great idea by the way and wish you much success!!

Commany
Commany

Please,please,please come to Delaware. There aren’t a lot of good salonists here and no one pays attention to Delaware.

cryssi
cryssi

I love it.…Detroit needs to be added to that list.

T.C
T.C

OMG!!! When can we get this awesome service in Colorado? We have a lot of naturals here that would really benefit from this service. Being military we don’t have the luxury of always having the time to sit in a salon, but we will pay for quality work. Please consider expanding our way!!!