20 Black Women Who Wore Dashikis Instead of Halloween Costumes for #DashikiDay and SLAYED

Avatar • Oct 31, 2015

While the rest of the world was preoccupied with Halloween costumes, #DashikiDay was taking over Instagram, filling timelines with an array of vivid colors draped against brown skin. The #DashikiDay movement, which grew through word of mouth on social media, encouraged African Americans to wear dashikis to work and school on October 30 in lieu of Halloween costumes. The results were incredible. Although thousands of people participated in the event, these 21 ladies slayed the day!

FullSizeRender (2) FullSizeRender (3) FullSizeRender (4) FullSizeRender (5) FullSizeRender (6) FullSizeRender (7) FullSizeRender (8) FullSizeRender (11) FullSizeRender (12) FullSizeRender (13) FullSizeRender (14) FullSizeRender (15) FullSizeRender (16) FullSizeRender (17) FullSizeRender (18) FullSizeRender (19) FullSizeRender (20) FullSizeRender (21) FullSizeRender (22) FullSizeRender

And one extra! Not black women, but these babies are adorable!!

FullSizeRender (1)

Did you participate in Dashiki Day?

LC
LC

I love “tayin tomato” bright pink lipstick!

Tiffany Williams
Tiffany Williams

So beautiful. I’m about to look up where I can buy authentic dashikis now. They are so beautiful, I love it and I’m happy to see more black women embrace it.

Saran
Saran

yesssss to @toyin tomato and the purple haired lady

Nzinga
Nzinga

Not to be a purist but does anyone wear dashikis made of real African material anymore? And what is the significance of dashiki day? Not many of these women exhume anything of African heritage with the exception of some with natural hair.….good effort though.….

Kiara
Kiara
Reply to  Nzinga

How do you know that? And btw, all black people exhume anything of African heritage.

Jacqy
Jacqy
Reply to  Kiara

Speak it!

LiftYourEyes
LiftYourEyes
Reply to  Nzinga

Yeah nice little compliment after the unnecessary criticisms…also you want to point them to where they can easily find dashiki made from real african material?

Not many of these women exhume anything of African heritage with the exception of some with natural hair.…”

???

omfg
omfg
Reply to  Nzinga

lol. was waiting for this type of condescending post.

trying to understand why this has to have a particular significance. you act as though africans imbue everything they do with some sort of mystical spiritualism that only they understand or have the ability to lay claim to.

and guess what boo? africans wear chinese made “african” style fabric in africa. omg. really? yes. stop acting like they don’t and keep it real.

do you know what the word exhume even mean or how to use it?

blackgirllonghair
blackgirllonghair
Reply to  Nzinga

Not to be a purist but if you’re concerned about only partaking in things that are purely African, maybe you shouldn’t read this website. I made it and I’m not African, so I might not exude enough “African heritage” for you. Damn me for being African American/Haitian raised in Jamaica.

Average Black Girl
Average Black Girl

I particpated!! The idea came about in less than a month. It was great to see how powerful social media is. Check me at @DaniSoFancy

maralondon
maralondon

Anything which is an alternative to(never understood it)Halloween and all those other European festivities gets an applaud from me.

Davina916
Davina916

How’d I miss this??!!? I’ll be ready next year! Everyone looks great!

Oratilwe
Oratilwe

Can’t help but feel like my culture is being appropriated a little here… Over here a dashiki is an item of everyday clothing and in America it’s a fashion statement and a holiday

kaydenpat
kaydenpat
Reply to  Oratilwe

Oh well.

omfg
omfg
Reply to  Oratilwe

this makes no sense. everyday clothing items are usually made into fashion statements by people who might care more about style than others.

lol at the appropriation comment.

Pearl
Pearl
Reply to  Oratilwe

The United States is where other people’s culture is used to rebel against the dominant American culture. This ladies view Halloween as a white American culture, so to rebel against it, they turned October 30th, Halloween day, into a Dashiki day, to tell the dominant culture that they refuse to participate. They get mad when you call them out on the misuse of other people’s cultures because Americans, both black and white, have a sense of entitlement.

Oratilwe
Oratilwe
Reply to  Pearl

Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I feel so silly now lol. I apologise

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

I was thinking the same. Dashikis are not Halloween costumes. I do know that they are only showing pride. I can’t complain. I just hope it is not a trend. Good pictures though. They did rock it.

Pearl
Pearl

Many people will not agree with you, but you are right, so there is no need to apologies.