This Mesmerizing Video of a Natural Shaking Her Hair in Slow Motion Has Gone Viral

Avatar • Aug 1, 2015

They say black women are magical… they right. They say natural hair doesn’t move… they wrong. Model and natural vlogger Hanna LaShay posted a video shaking her luscious curls. The 1 minute 10 second video was her boyfriend’s idea and it is downright mesmerizing. The video clip has been viewed more than 120,000 times

And it has inspired copycat videos under the hashtag #slowmocurls. Check it out!

So… I wanna know who’s out here saying naturals can’t whip or flip their hair.

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

cryssi
cryssi

Loving this

alt-K
alt-K

Wow! This girl is amazingly cute and adorable. Watching this made me happy!

Cosita
Cosita

She is a beautiful lady with beautiful hair. I never heard the natural hair doesn’t move thing. When I go to Zumba the ladies say they love how my curls bounce when I dance. Also wind messes up my hairstyles blowing it all around. our hair moves.

idris
idris
Reply to  Cosita

Yes…Lot of people think that out natural hair is coarse and does not move . Here come the relaxer To love move your hair in the wind

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  idris

Wow. That’s silly thinking.

Leah
Leah

I follow her on instagram . I’m taking my braids down on Thursday so I will definitely be doing this for fun before I get it rebraided . Lol I already have a slow motion app .

Leah
Leah

She is adorable and her hair is gorgeous . I’m glad I follow her on instagram .

Pirata do Cabide
Pirata do Cabide

You’re reading way too deep into this.

lindy_arter

Or maybe you’re not reading deeply enough. Who knows? Not me. All I can say is that I found this to be a disturbing read. You didn’t. To each their own.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

Beautiful !

lindy_arter

It’s more to do with the way that this post was written. Highlighting the fact that some people believe that if a black woman has natural hair it won’t move if she shakes her head. If that’s not a statement that is based off of a comparison of black women’s hair to white (Latina, Asian, Native American, etc.) women’s hair, then I don’t know what is. Sure, plenty of black women have hair that will shake and shimmy. Plenty don’t. It bothers me that this is something that we’re celebrating. Healthy hair, I celebrate. Women embracing their natural hair and owning… Read more »

Alexia Lawson
Alexia Lawson

You’re right… my hair only moves after it is super stretched (blow out, flat iron, the 2nd time I retwist it, etc). Definitely not in its natural post-wash state (at least not at its current medium length). Also, shorter hair lengths may not be able to do this. I do think the video is cute, but to glorify one’s ability to shake their natural hair, kinda counters the natural hair movement of the acceptance of one’s own texture and length. Thanks for your bold and critical comment!

Sunrae
Sunrae

Does anyone know the name of the song in the background?

$8319184
$8319184

She’s cute as a button.

lindy_arter

But why, though? What exactly does this prove? That black women are human beings because some can whip their hair around like any white woman in a shampoo commercial? What’s the point of going natural and embracing black beauty if we can’t stop comparing what we do/don’t have to white folks in order for it to be good or acceptable. Would anyone feel that their natural hair was less beautiful if it didn’t swang like it had been pressed? Someone came up to me the other day and commented on the fact that my hair was blowing in the breeze… Read more »

Dorism57
Dorism57
Reply to  lindy_arter

ok negative Nancy„we see your point

Reply to  Dorism57

Hey, I didn’t see it as harmless cuteness. What can I say? Not trying to be offensive to anyone who sees it differently and no reason to value my opinion over the millions who clearly loved the video.

DM
DM
Reply to  lindy_arter

You make a good point. I feel like the white beauty standards that have been pounded into many a Western black woman’s head are a hard beast to shake, and a reminder that going natural doesn’t mean sacrificing every aspect of that standard that we’ve been raised to find appealing — like buoyancy and flexibility — can be encouraging. No, it shouldn’t be necessary, we shouldn’t still be judging ourselves and each other according to a hair type that is not inherently better than any other hair type, but what should be and what is are two different things, and… Read more »

Reply to  DM

I totally agree with what you’ve written here. I probably should have written something along those lines instead of typing out a reactionary comment on something that bothered me.

Live and learn!

Sheena LaShay
Sheena LaShay
Reply to  lindy_arter

Why what? Hanna clearly states her boyfriend thought it would be fun to see her shake her hair in slow motion. No one said anything about trying to do what white people do or proving a point. She was hanging with her boyfriend and he made a suggestion. That video has since gone viral because people simply like it. Whether its her personality, her hair, the music or whatever. They like it. Why you were complimented and how you took it, is your own thing to deal with. THis is a fun video of my little sister shaking her hair.… Read more »

Reply to  Sheena LaShay

Yeah, I got comments on a public forum. Amazing concept, I know. You don’t like my comments? Don’t read and don’t respond. See how easy that is? Her attractiveness, your view of how fun it is to watch her shake her head…all of that is your opinion that you have the right to share. She has the right to post it the video. Her boyfriend has the right to like it and film it. I have the right to express my opinion on something that is posted to a public forum. I happen to believe that there is more to it than… Read more »

interestinginsightsis
interestinginsightsis
Reply to  lindy_arter

Sounds like you’re unpacking a bag of your own issues. The beauty in this is that these women have lovely, healthy hair that they can fun with. Would’ve been just as effective with a fro. I’m lucy liberal and rachel race- policy and with searching deeply into this, I can’t find any connotation o implication that any of these women are desiring to be white, compared to a white a women, or hoping to be praised by white women. Maybe you should learn to differentiate YOUR issues from others’ issues.

lindy_arter

Can you tell me what you find mesmerizing about this hair shake video? Seriously. I watched and I don’t see it. What do you think is special/interesting/amazing about this? Why do you think that it got so many views? Plenty of woman have healthy hair that doesn’t move when they shake their heads. Plenty of women have damaged hair that blows in the breeze just like those women in the hair product commercials. How does this illustrate “healthy” hair? Everything is viewed through a lens of our own experience. I do find it annoying/offensive when someone points out that my hair… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  lindy_arter

What does hair moving have to do with being white? .I never straighten my hair yet I keep mine in buns and use bobby pins a lot to keep it from blowing around in my face which I hate. . That woman is clueless. Ignore her.

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

I was thinking the same. She is so cute ?and it was mesmerizing, not to mention the song went well with the video and She picked the right song for it. I watched the other videos and it was cool. Hair moves depending on how much hair you have. Hair can move when it’s shoulder length or neck length. Short hair, long hair; They both are pretty. Very cool, It was cute and her eyebrows were on point.

Christina J

Yes! I absolutely love this. I will have to post mine soon 🙂

HappyDeer
HappyDeer

shes awfully cute ^.^ but.….that aint her reeal hair though its crotchet braids :’( look at the parts made when she shakes her hair i know it when i see it cuz thats exactly how my hair was when i installed crotchet braids

brianna
brianna
Reply to  HappyDeer

nah thats all hers. check her insta

Krysta Johnson Quammie
Krysta Johnson Quammie
Reply to  HappyDeer

or you know, she had her hair parted and did a twistout. and twists clump together…

MJ
MJ

This made me so happy though, especially after 00:37. Natural hair is truly so beautiful ????