Women of Color Are Showing Love For Their Skin With the #FlexinMyComplexion Tag

Avatar • Aug 21, 2015

The phrase “Flexin My Complexion” was born out of the work of artist, Kameelah Janan Rasheed. Not long after her work was shared throughout the internet, #flexinmycomplexion became a viral hashtag celebrating the rich darker skin tones amongst women of color.

The twitter account @PoCBeauty aided in signal boosting the movement to over 26,000 followers which resulted in over 85,000 tweets in just one week.

As with any online movement, there was some dissent. Some felt the #flexinmycomplexion tag isolated those with lighter skin by choosing to solely focus on POC with dark skin.

What do you think about the #Flexinmycomplexion tag?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

I’m for anything that acknowledges chocolate beauty and helps to facilitate self-acceptance for people who are shamed for the darkness of their skin.

As for any light women who feel excluded…open your eyes, look at the ideals promoted in popular culture, consider how society views people of (dark) color, and flip through some magazines, then get back to me about who’s excluded. And with that one sentence, I have exhausted the amount of consideration I’m willing to give how light people feel about this.

Tammy Allen
Tammy Allen
Reply to  Hair Anomaly

OMG, there are plenty of other cultures that hate and try to divide us. While I understand what you are saying, when will we personally get over the dark skin vs light skin issues. As far as other cultures are concerned, we are Black and that’s that.

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly
Reply to  Tammy Allen

I’m not exactly sure why you replied to my post with this; nevertheless, thank you for your contribution. It brought to mind a quote I once heard somewhere…

If there is no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm.”

Salut!

Brianna Nicolas
Brianna Nicolas
Reply to  Tammy Allen

What light skin va dark skin issue? Who said anything about that? Are you serious. You were the one who brought that up! You almost sound like a Becky. Please we have got to do better.

LittleBabyBug Jones
LittleBabyBug Jones
Reply to  Tammy Allen

so you’re saying that because other cultures consider all of us equally black, we should consider ourselves as black without noticing any difference? because other cultures, of course, get to dictate how blackness is defined.

trackback

[…] Women of Color Are Showing Love For Their Skin With the #FlexinMyComplexion Tag […]

Sabrina black
Sabrina black

Dark skin has been frowned down upon for decades, not to mention over generalized so I can understand wholeheartedly about this hash tag. It emphasizes the struggle. I really like this dedication. I like that I’m seeing more social awareness these days. I like the way certain make up colors brings it out like purple.

Saran
Saran

It was high time for us. putting down ourselves for nothing really

trackback

[…] as younger blacks celebrate their dark skin with movements like #iwillnotapologizeforbeingdarkskin, #flexinmycomplexion and […]

Dee
Dee

Love it!

cryssi
cryssi

I could have sworn that the opening picture was flexin all complexions with the pigment paper.…I could be wrong, lol