Mother Ignites Firestorm After Tweeting Photo of Young Daughter Wearing Faux Locs

Avatar • Jun 1, 2015

Last month, twitter user @_jussKENNIESE tweeted out the following images of faux locs on a young child.

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 10.54.50 AM

The style is definitely cute and on trend but many twitter users took issue with this type of style and whether it was appropriate for a child so young.

This child on my TL with these faux locs looks like she’s in so much pain”

Child abuse”

DO NOT! DO NOT! DO NOT! GIVE A CHILD HAIR EXTENSIONS, TRACKS, FAUX LOCS OR ANY SYNTHETIC S***! LET THERE NATURAL HAIR GROW!”

Faux locs hurt me so bad I couldn’t go into work for two days. That poor child”

CCr-bKIVAAExFBT

Much of the concern was rooted in the belief that the child could be in pain from the installation of the style and increased tension due to the weight of hair applied to her young scalp.

What do you think? Are faux locs and braids appropriate for a young child?

CurlyTs
CurlyTs

OMGosh it looks painful. I remember getting my hair in twists that were so tight I had to take painkillers. I ended up unraveling them that night because I couldn’t sleep. I think this photo evokes memories of how painful and uncomfortable these styles can be. Everyone just feels sorry for the little girl, I don’t think they mean any harm.

Zenith
Zenith

In my opinion, NO. This attached hair causes too much physical damage (potentially permanent) to a fragile scalp line. In addition, I would be concerned about a developing child becoming so comfortable with having attached hair, that she starts to find less value in her own hair (without having hair attached). I also believe that everyone has a right to make their own decisions for theor own child. As long as the practice does not constitute abuse in the eyes of the law, people will be able to do what they want .

Merry
Merry

As long as the hair ain’t pull out like crazy, there’s no problem with protective styles on young girl in my point.
The craziest is that most of us started relaxers before 6 years old and still, seem to be shocked because “it must hurt”(bravo, you can guess this just by looking at a picture). Relaxer is waay more toxic than protective style, especially on young scalp.

Naomi Victoria
Naomi Victoria

Let children be children please.
Let them rock their own natural hair and let’s teach them how to embrace it.

Taj
Taj

Maybe I’m just confused. But I don’t see what difference there is between allowing your child to have faux locs vs. allowing braid extensions. They both add weight to the hair and both are put in tightly on the scalp. Both can cause damage if not installed correctly and properly maintained. I would much rather have my child have either of these instead of unnecessary and extremely damaging chemicals.

Cherubiel Cherub
Cherubiel Cherub

I thinks it’s nice on her and a perfect length…if the child is not in pain or complaining its hurts then.….it’s not hurting her. i don’t have problems with tight hairstyles hurting my scalp some people can’t take it due to having a very sensitive scalp. maybe they could have been a little smaller…And when did locs had anything to do with age?? they are many youngsters with locs(some natural). that goes for any hairstyles

Siona Kim Moses
Siona Kim Moses

she’s in pain and not happy… i myself am and was a tender headed kid. you can see the weight and tension on her roots. I remember having micro braids as a protective style for boarding school and summer. I was in pure hell having 3 people braiding for 4 hr stretches. My head hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep for the first few nights… this kid looks like she’s been punished

Regina
Regina

Why did she just finger coil her child hair without the weave. It’s pulling really tight. It’s cute but for someone that that young in age.

Cosita
Cosita

Not bashing but Personally I am not a fan of extensions locs or braids on little bitty kids because I have had painful experience from it. Plus children’s hair tends to be softer weaker. I got the braids extensions first time around 10 and they gave me a headache initially. I’ve only had them once since and again the headache. My cousin’s daughter complains she braids too tight and they don’t use additional hair. However it might be harder for asmaller child to articulate discomfort.

Talina Lynk
Talina Lynk

I hate seeing seeing “babies” like that. Setting them on the road to hair and scalp damage. I don’t have problems with teens choosing synthetic styles.

matika evans
matika evans

I think hairs with extentions (braids, twist, faux loc and etc) are appropriate for children. I think it depends on the actually style that is given and also, like every other person, the type of hair they have. In the picture the young girl hair looks kind of fine so I’m not sure if I wouldn’t picked this for her but I wouldn’t be opposed to a child getting these type of styles. I grew up going to the braiding shop all the time. I had the type of hair that did well with braids whether my natural hair or… Read more »

Debora Cunha
Debora Cunha

Definitely this is was not a good idea.
Look at her, I think she was crying.…this is so wrong, in my opinion…
Poor girl…so sad :’(

Christy
Christy

I take the coconut pills, works much better then the oil, coconut slows down the shading of Your hair + much more nail,dry skin ‚and your hair start growing in 2mo of taking the gal tablet 2 pills a day

Varah Potter
Varah Potter

I think it’s completely fine if the mother knows what’s she’s doing. The age isn’t important. I remember getting braids from a very, very young age and those would leave me sore for days. Then it was on to perms but that’s a whole nother story. If she didn’t put the locs in to tightly, where it would damage her hair in the long run then it’s perfectly fine!

RosefromPittsburgh
RosefromPittsburgh

Me personally think young children should not have extensions, weaves, box braids, relaxers etc. There young hair & scalp are still very delicate! The problem as well is a lot of this hair is chemically processed why exposure your child to that kind of danger. A lot of these mothers are doing the hair and not properly taught on the right way to install. Let little girls be little girls with their natural hair and if it’s too hard to maintain or your in the rush every morning and do not have the time to do hair, go old school… Read more »

Manu
Manu

I had my faux locs installed laSt night, right now I’m taking them down cause I can’t with the pain, so I don’t think that style is appropriate for a child

alt-K
alt-K

In my personal opinion, I do not think it is flattering for children to wear adult styles. I have a cousin who puts actual weave tracks and fake buns into her 5‑year-old daughter’s hair. I never say anything because it is not my child, but it irks me to no end. I’m not sure why so many of us are in a hurry to make our children grown.

Itumeleng
Itumeleng

Black women need to stop terrorizing their kids’ heads. LEAVE THEIR SCALPS ALONE! This picture shows why many black women have no edges and have to rely on wigs and weaves by their 20’s, their mothers start abusing their scalps with extensions at an early age.

jamila williams
jamila williams

Is this really a major concern? None of us has to do this little girls hair on a daily basis. As a kid we always had braids, and sometimes extensions when it came to going to sleep away camp. Faux locs are not very heavy and this looks to be length appropriate (ie not waist length) at least for this girls size. How different is this from yarn wrapping the hair? Which is very age appropriate and done as a style for young girls.

Yaya2012
Yaya2012

this is the exact reason why i can’t deal with braids like this. I remember when i was younger my aunt would braid my hair and i couldn’t sleep for days. So tight that you could see the individual strands of hair being pulled from my edges. Thank God i have long healthy hair, but i know some people who never rebound from that type of hair trauma.

FreeTea
FreeTea

I could see preadolescence (10–12) being a time to start experimenting with extensions (if they want them), but this little girl is wayyy too young for this style. Why would they be necessary on a child so young?

This is just one example of why our little girls grow up with complexes.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

If pain is the issue then yes it must be addressed whether the result of faux locs, box braids, cornrows etc. A hairstyle shouldn’t be painful, especially on a child.

As for the style in an of itself…I dont see the problem.

Yoli
Yoli

Edges gone in 3…2…1

Sup
Sup

I’m 20 and I suffer from missing edges due to the abuse my hair and scalp has suffered from the tight weaves and braids my mother has forced on me throughout the years. It’s hard to tell from the picture, but I hope that they aren’t too tight or heavy.

LoveB
LoveB

Unless you know this child personally how can you know she is in pain or has been crying? There are no visible tears nor is her face red or blotchy. Your experience with this style may not be her experience. After sitting to have her hair styled for a long time couldn’t it be possible that she’s just tired? Also, I remember having cornrows as a child and they hurt just as much as the micro braids I used to get as a young adult. I have no problem with my daughter having any hairstyle she wants within reason. She… Read more »

Faye
Faye

Faux locs don’t hurt if you’re careful with your hair. Also, that child doesn’t look like she’s in pain, a bit tired yes but not in pain.

Honeybun
Honeybun

Apparently the child died from her viens being over pulled. Does anyone know if there is truth to this? I really hope not.

Stephanie
Stephanie

No child should ever go threw that much of a pain deep inside I feel like the one woman who did her younger daughter hair she be taken away that’s too much you can see by her facial expressions that there is misirior I think that it’s even too young for a child to wearing faux loco I will never try it because I know that I wouldn’t be able to get much done plus she’s really cute but she don’t suit it so the mother of your daughter hope you you know that you puting your child in one… Read more »