NAACP President and African Studies Prof Has Been Passing Herself Off as Black Woman For Years

Avatar • Jun 12, 2015
Photo credit: https://twitter.com/KREMTaylor

Photo credit: https://twitter.com/KREMTaylor

Rachel Dolezal, president of the Spokane Washington chapter of the NAACP and Africana Studies professor at Eastern Washington University, has been passing herself off as a black woman… for years. The elaborate lie includes public claims that she has a black father, black sons, natural hair, and has been the victim of hate crimes.

Rachel’s story began to unravel after her latest hate crime claim a few days ago. She alleged that someone sent a dangerous package to the NAACP headquarters. But as reporters began to dig into her story and her life, the lies began to surface. Rachel’s father, Montana resident Larry Dolezal, recently came forward to confirm that both he and his wife are white and of European descent, and Rachel is their birth daughter.

Rachel graduated from Howard University and taught in the Africana Education department at Eastern Washington University. According to the website her research focuses on, “the intersection of race, gender and class in the contemporary Diaspora with a specific emphasis on black women in visual culture.”

enhanced-10513-1434072564-1

She referred to this man as her father..

Untitled

When these are her real parents…

She recalled being “watched” at the movies while seeing 12 Years a Slave…

enhanced-21550-1434105005-6

And, as stated above, claimed that dangerous hate mail was sent to NAACP headquarters in Spokane. Here she is defending her claim…

She talked about going for a “natural look”…

enhanced-7203-1434105027-1

enhanced-3088-1434105178-1

She claimed that these are her sons, when actually the older boy is her adopted brother

enhanced-663-1434105105-1

The big question is why? Why did Rachel Dolezal create an elaborate false identity. From reading Buzzfeed’s full report it’s clear Rachel lied about many things besides her race, including the fact that she was born in a tepee and hunted with bows and arrows as a child.

Her father believes that Rachel became so wrapped up in her advocacy work that she lost touch with reality;

She has over the past 20 years assimilated herself into the African American community through her various advocacy and social justice work, and so that may be part of the answer.”

Wow. Ladies, what are your thoughts?

Miss T
Miss T

I’m sorry but this is kinda funny, she got the wig and the tan! But my question is, is she really in love with black culture or was she “hired”? “You know what I mean Vern”.….….

Frugivore Clarissa
Frugivore Clarissa

Wow, a white person who ACTUALLY wants to be black, so bad in fact, that they’d create a whole back story and persona for their own personal gain.…I’m speechless. ???? ???? ???? Her devotion to her delusions almost masks the fact that she was essentially doing black face to live out her warped fantasy. In this case we’ll call it “light face”. Hope she gets the help she so desperately needs.

kalexa1

In our circles we call her a ‘Wigger’. They are aplenty in London and surrounding areas.

cryssi
cryssi

Someone really could use a psych eval and maybe some meds…

Schureen
Schureen

I’m offended. Not flattered, I’m offended. I wrote her a letter on my blog, I truly hope she reads it. I don’t have words right now. Just read my blog *rolling my eyes*
simplyschureen.wordpress.com

Elle P.
Elle P.
Reply to  Schureen

Great work! **applause**

V.M
V.M

This is what happens when you guys try to claim anybody with 1/62836283628632th of black in them. LMFAO This white lady got a slight tan and a curly wig, and y’all couldn’t she wasn’t black?! I’m literally crying right now. Americans are so funny xD

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  V.M

Lmao. Right?!! I’ve been saying that the one drop rule is stupid.

Nila
Nila
Reply to  V.M

She got away with it in Spokane, WA but she wouldn’t have been able to anywhere else. Somebody would have been suspicious from the start.

mummy21
mummy21

Poor girl — she is obviously suffering from a neurosis- as long as she enjoys herself and did great work there’s no harm. I really don’t think she is well to make such an impersonation so she gets a pass x

redpaperlantern
redpaperlantern

I do not find humor in this at all. We have so many issues that we face daily as black women, so we really do not need some deranged, attention-whoring white woman running around making all kinds of silly-assed claims in our [black women’s] name. Criminal charges, of some sort, should be filed against her. I wonder if when they do go to arrest her for fraud by deception and filing false police reports, when they read her her rights and go to cuff her, if she gives them lip or ‘resists’, will they throw her to the ground and kneel in her back… Read more »

kalexa1

Lol. Exactly! The irony is unbelievable I agree.

meemaw two
meemaw two

@redpaperlantern:disqus you never said it so better!!!!! What she forgot was the struggle that comes along as being a black woman. You can’t cherry pick the black struggle, it comes with being treated as less then sub-human, and she wouldn’t survive in the hood!!! the end!!!! These comments are on point and truth. Being black is being denied the basic right to live in equality, in the land in which you were born in!!!!! Peace and blessings to you, my sistah!!!

CurlyTs
CurlyTs

She looks more like Barbara Streisand than a black woman. My question is what else has she lied about in her official capacity?

Reply to  CurlyTs

Good question.

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl

This is so odd. I can’t make any sense of this. What has she gained from this? Was this all done for some type of recognition? Does she care about the black culture that much? I’m so confused.

tracena barnwell
tracena barnwell

This is sad that she has to lie abt who she is cause she’s not comfortable in her own skin. She needs a reality check!!

Corelle Perry
Corelle Perry

Also…I am hearing about all of this jazz claimed ‘transracial’ via Buzzfeed .’ What on earth is that?!? This shouldn’t be in our American vocabulary! Hundreds of years ago, it was dangerous to for a light-skinned African American to pass for white. Now, we are attacked by Eurocentric standards of beauty,like everyday! America has learned absolutely nothing from our past! “People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become, and they pay for it, very simply, by the lives they lead.” James Baldwin

Cassy
Cassy
Reply to  Corelle Perry

Transracial is a real thing, however it is not being used correctly. This woman’s black siblings are transracial she is not. To be transracial is to be adopted into a family of another race to you. People throwing this word around the internet like they coined the term and it didn’t have a previous meaning. They all need to read a damn book or something

Anieka
Anieka

Soooo she’s willing to give up her white privilege, to live as a black woman and to fight for rights of others?!? I don’t have a problem with her. Too many of us r bleaching to get closer to white.…. That to me is more disturbing.

Kiara
Kiara
Reply to  Anieka

Huum I agree that bleaching is a problem but it’s not the issue here. The problem is this crazy women walked around in black face trying to fight oppression, but her very actions are oppressive and racist. Why couldn’t she help our community while being who she is…a white woman! She wouldn’t be the first or the last white ally so stop justifying her sickness and ignorance, stop shifting the focus to put blame on black women for bleaching. About the bleaching specifically, Rachel is white women in a white supremacist world! Black women are constantly facing this white supremacy… Read more »

Reply to  Kiara

Well said.

PrimmestPlum
PrimmestPlum
Reply to  Kiara

Thank you.

Seekaii
Seekaii
Reply to  Anieka

You don’t “give up” white privilege you cannot change your race. you can learn about it, you can educate others about it, you can take part of the culture but you cannot BE that race.

Shakayla Tyson
Shakayla Tyson
Reply to  Anieka

U are absolutely right i agree

Cassy
Cassy
Reply to  Anieka

Why is it not one and the same? In both instances there is a clear underlying self hatred. If anything Racheal is worse because people who bleach or wear straight weave don’t claim to be white, that is absurd. She’s living an elaborate lie complete with racial stereotypes on her upbringing and her struggle as a black woman with hate crimes to match. Talking about going natural and and embracing the her curls while wearing an Afro kinky wig on top of her staright blonde hair. It’s insulting

Kiara
Kiara

She lied and walked around in black face! That’s why she is hurtfull can’t you see that? She could of helped minorities advance without pretending to be black, there are plenty of white allies all over doing a great job! Why couldnt she be honnest? Plus transgender people don’t just choose to change sex, it’s a false comparaison. It’s who they are on the inside and they cannot change that. Rachel can go home and simply decide she wants to be white again. She is a white woman who used blackness to spice up her life the same way people… Read more »

kiara
kiara

Everybody please watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr9KB0TITVY

Best explaination out there of the Rachel Dolezal fiasco.

Kiara
Kiara

So true loool

kalexa1

No, they’d describe you as having ‘issues’ and try to give you help for your ‘mental problems’. Not to mention the ridiculing media once they got a hold of they story.

kalexa1

Maybe she actually believes she really is a black woman inside and ‘God got it wrong’ and that ‘this is who she was meant to be’. With the help of doctors/cosmetic surgeons compliance she may well pull it off with a ‘Transracial’ change. Bruce Jenner and many like him before and after have their support so I wouldn’t be surprised if this is now to be on offer. Go figure.

kalexa1

Those questions have already been asked and answered. Google documentaries on where the hair is coming from and the booming asian market in hair. Check slavery chronicles, watch films like Roots and more recently 12 Years a Slave for insight into your question on ‘why have so many created a false identity.…?’ It’s not rocket science but it is the insidious legacy of white supremacism, cruel hatred and brainwashing. Mull on that; not so ‘Haha’ as it is sad reality.

Cosita
Cosita

I can’t say I really feel any particular kind of way about it. . I read her ex husband is black and the wedding photo she doesn’t have the tan or curly hair. So obviously she hasn’t been doing this her whole adult . Plusnot like other races or multti race don’t ever or don’t at least try to pass themselves for just white. However, I will say as far as her calling certain people her father and son who are not biologically related to her is irrelevant imo. I know myself and otner people of many races do the… Read more »

Ladylanita
Ladylanita
Reply to  Cosita

Okay, but you mentioned on two occasions that you are supposedly “mixed”. ( I hate that term, btw). Most African Americans have more than African heritage. What unifies us is our culture and common shared experiences. This is how cultures are formed. If someone grows up in a household with parents who are two different ethnicities, that is one thing. But how you equate that to someone who did not grow up in that type of household, but merely kept company with people of different ethnicities and decided that wished to belong and self-identify with that group to the point… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Ladylanita

I have said many times over I am black. Actually argued with people on this blog who try to claim black Americans are not but that’s another story. I don’t consider myself “mixed” but at times someone asks me if I have any other heritage I don’t deny it . Some people were calling for her to be fired or prosecuted. But I don’t think lying about your race on a job application is something that people can be legally fired or go to jail over because a) there is no obligation to respond to respond to a race question on… Read more »

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Ladylanita

I just think unethical doesn’t always mean illegal.

My family dealt for years with a relative with mental illness who would tell people she was pregnant even when she was long past child bearing age. She wasn’t “lying” because she honestly believed she was pregnant. She had one child then my mom says she went through post partum but there wasn’t treatment back then and she was never the same. Is Racheal desceptive or delusional?

Alex
Alex

I’m not bothered by this. I think that if she has emotional issues connected to her color, she should get some therapy for that. I also think she would’ve been more effective if she was simply herself. Other than that, I’m like, “meh”.

maralondon
maralondon

I wouldn’t trust her as far as I could throw her. She must have some kind of mental disorder to lie in the way she did.

NaturalRebel
NaturalRebel

What I’m wondering is HOW the HELL did anyone fall for that… really?? A slight tan and curly hair and everyone thinks she’s black. She doesn’t even look bi-racial! I’m just flabbergasted and laughing at how dumb this is, her and everyone else who actually fell for this.

Ladylanita
Ladylanita
Reply to  NaturalRebel

I saw her on camera before and knew right away she wasn’t black. There could be a n umber of reasons people either weren’t aware or just ran with it.
— They gave her the benefit of the doubt.
— They didn’t want to question someone’s self-identification.
— Flattery.
— Assume it’s benefiting black people (side eye).
— They believe in one-dropping to the point anyone a little “swarthy” they will claim as black.
— or my favorite, just plain stupidity.

Puff Puff Poof

I’m shocked that this false equivalency has even showed up here at BGLH. Makes me think there must be a team of you people trying to push this ridiculous comparison. There is so much wrong with this but lets just start with the fact that she had the chance to answer “Yes, I am Black” when asked by a reporter and she looked like a deer caught headlights and would not answer because frankly she’s not that delusional or mentally ill and she knows she is in fact not Black. She was very methodical in trying to position herself as… Read more »

Over it
Over it
Reply to  Puff Puff Poof

It could be if it were a Dave Chappel comedy skit

”You go girl”? So ”you go girl” wear you’re blackface?” You go girl” use black kids to support your blackface? ”You go girl lie” about your whole identity instead of being an honnest ally? ‘,Yo go girl” occupy spaces that could have benefit black people and be oppressive with your ignorance and irresponsible selfish actions? ”You go girl” lie to the community you are trying to help.fool them,mock them, and then try to justify your cultural appropriation with some bullshit transracial scam? So… either you are a random white person supporting this parasite-appropriator-rachel-blackface wich wouldn’t be suprising. You could also… Read more »

ebaiden
ebaiden
Reply to  guest

im sorry, i just cant! hahahaha!
But seriously though…
you just spit some hot fire right here,

Ladylanita
Ladylanita
Reply to  guest

Right on!

naomi mba
naomi mba

it is sad a person trying to advocate for justice and equality needs to become somebody else to be heard

Over it
Over it

When I was able to stop laughing. I thought this is a great opportunity to address race in the US. There’s talk but no real honest discussion. Everyone is tripping on why she lied about being black, but really the question is why didn’t she want to be white? If it wasn’t for fuckery like the one drop rule this couldn’t happen. No I’m back to laughing this shouldn’t be funny, but I can’t help it. She really tried — oh my sides

ebaiden
ebaiden

all i have to say is

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

TigerLily
TigerLily

Wow! So crazy!

Chrissie
Chrissie

Never heard of her before so I’m not shocked or disappointed in a personal way…but this is…weird.

Mary
Mary

You go girl…I ain’t mad at you

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

Haha. This was a funny read. Here is a bigger question then.
Why did Rachel Dolezal create an elaborate false identity.
Why have so many created a hair false identity. Hiding behind wigs, weaves etc. we only recently started exposing what type of hair we really have.

At least Rachel created hers, who is the founders of all this fake hair that is being purchased. Lol that’s the real lye.

Me
Me

I’m dumbfounded. She needs to be in a psychiatric ward. When you start sending fake threats to enhance a persona that is not yourself, there’s a very serious problem.

Spongebob Stan
Spongebob Stan

wtf

Tabatha
Tabatha

I saw this on the news this morning on the News. I have to say, I’m weirdly flattered that a white lady thinks that we are so great that she is going to try and be us in as many ways as possible, but then I’m a little annoyed because she’s not. She is trying to get credit and I don’t know if she is trying to reap the benefits for being black, but it’s like, “No you’re not black.” My brain is all scrambled over this. I can’t make sense of it. I appreciate that she has come close… Read more »

april Guscott
april Guscott

This woman needs help. I don’t know what else to say. Who checked her credentials?????

Frugivore Clarissa
Frugivore Clarissa

Wow, a white person who ACTUALLY wants to be black, so bad in fact, that they’d create a whole back story and persona for her own personal gain.…I’m speechless. ? ? ? Her devotion to her delusions almost masks the fact that she was essentially doing black face to live out her warped fantasy. In this case we’ll call it “light face”. Hope she gets the help she so desperately needs.

Elle P.
Elle P.

Well.…..that’s disturbing…

Aliyah
Aliyah

I bet if I painted white face and bleached my skin got straight weave and claimed I grew it i still would get arrested for trying to impersonate as a white person.

Shidonii
Shidonii

If Bruce Jenner can be acepted as Caitlyn, then why can’t this woman emmulate on the outside what she identifies with on the inside? She’s all for the advancement of minorities, so who is she hurting?

Cassy
Cassy
Reply to  Shidonii

Please watch this, everything i would say and more.

Shakayla Tyson
Shakayla Tyson

If it wasn’t for the fact that she lied about being black and her family I would have said it was ok. And i truly believe that her actions were through admiration not discrimination or out of racist intent i just think she should’ve came clean about the whole situation from start. Instead of packing lie on top of the next further more if Rachel wants to embrace black culture let her because at the end of the day one must realize we all came from africa so all have a little black in us don’t chastise her because supports… Read more »

Ladylanita
Ladylanita

I could only bare a few minutes of her interview with Matt on GMA. This woman is delusional. I truly tried to refrain from passing judgment before hearing her reasoning. After listening to her speak for a few minutes, it’s blatantly obvious she portrayed herself as an African-American woman for selfish (not self-less) reasons. I question the motives of some black men quick to come to her defense and also some brainless black women that are doing the same. She could have fought for rights as a white woman if she was truly doing this for altruistic reasons. I think… Read more »

David Hutchinson
David Hutchinson

One drop of Black and folks accepted it. Bet if I told folks I was White it would be “Yeah!!Righttttttttt.….”

LeNette
LeNette

Most importantly, this Rachel woman and her supporters have managed to smear an exalted, significant, historical organization — the NAACP. In light of the police brutality and other racism, educational cutbacks, etc.blacks suffer, this is the last thing we need.

Stephine Griffith
Stephine Griffith

Well she deserves a thank you, She said she is african,native american and white she mixed lmfao

La Bella Bre'
La Bella Bre'

I don’t know how anyone fell for this. When I first saw her with the curly afro wig on, I saw a White woman with bronzer with a curly afro wig on. Simple. I guess she really batted those blue eyes to get that NAACP position. Shameful nobody checked her background thoroughly before hiring her. In this day with the internet, there is NO Excuse for not checking up on people.