5 Easy Head Wraps for Rainy Spring Days

Avatar • Apr 6, 2015

5 turban videos

Yay spring is finally here! Winter was roughhhhhh to say the least but now we get to see flowers, sunshine, and rain. Actually way more rain than flowers and sunshine, but it’s better than the cold. Whether your style was ruined from being caught in a rainstorm, or you just can’t justify doing your hair in a week where the sun hasn’t shone, here are five super easy turban tutorials to get your through a rainy day.

IKnowLee’s Twistout + Turban

If you get caught in the rain and you happen to have a lightweight scarf with you, use it to recreate this easy turban look that will contain your hair without sacrificing your defined curls.

Jessica Pettiway’s Mommy and Mini Wrap

If you want more volume to your wraps, or if you want to also wrap up your mini me, this video has got you covered!

Omega Bone’s Turban Tutorial for Short Hair

If you have a TWA or fine hair and your turbans end up looking too flat on your head, this video has an easy trick to make it appear like there’s more hair underneath your wrap.

Nyla Helene’s Turban Styles with Box Braids

If you have your hair in a protective style, whether braids, crochet braids, a wig, or a weave, a turban in the springtime can be a great way to update your look and keep your roots from frizzing up in the rain. Nyla shows us how.

Klassy Kinks’ Ankara Turban with a Pompadour

If you want to leave a bit of your hair out in the front, I show a quick way to tie a rectangular turban with a pompadour in the front.

What other turban videos inspire you on rainy days?

About Klassy Kinks

KlassyKinks.com founder and editor, Ijeoma Eboh, is on a mission to change perceptions of kinky textured hair around the world. You can find her on social media @klassykinks.

blackgirllonghair
blackgirllonghair

Thank you for the education. We are in the process of changing the title! Is this an appropriation that you see happening in the natural hair community at large? Would you be interested in sharing your thoughts with our community in a more formal capacity? We would love to bring that dialogue and awareness, because the thought honestly never crossed our minds!

R Says
R Says

See? This is why I roll with this site.
Such an engaging response from the mod!

It should go without saying, but I’ve seen my share of groups and pages that have low/no tolerance for differences of any kind.

Love it!

GoddessNzuri
GoddessNzuri

Thank You for this! I feel that our community, being so used to those appropriating our culture, no one would mind dropping the whole turban thing as we as black women have our own Head wraps we could simply just refer to them as so! Thanks again 🙂

Chevanne

I bought two wraps from The Wrap Life and boy have they been saviors when my hair was a mess. It’s a great style option that doesn’t look thrown together but very chic. Love this.

NHCN

Yeah, I guess headscarf is the appropriate term. But hey, if no offense meant, then no offense done. 🙂

GoddessNzuri
GoddessNzuri

I was very disappointed to see this on here. The whole “Turban” wrap trend is extremely disrespectful to those who wear the traditional head piece as a representation of their Sikh religion. As black people, we are so fiercely fighting against people appropriating our culture, it should be a given that we respect others. I think the head wraps in this post are very beautiful but to refer to it as a Turban is very disrespectful to the Sikh community.
With Love, — GN

Dana
Dana
Reply to  GoddessNzuri

I am also very curious about this. I never knew using the word turban could be seen as disrespectful. I am also ignorant about the Sikh religion. It would be interesting to see an article about this.

GoddessNzuri
GoddessNzuri
Reply to  Dana

Yes! As a Muslim I too wear a headscarf and just the thought of someone using my religion as a fashion trend would make me pretty disappointed 🙂

Mimi
Mimi
Reply to  GoddessNzuri

I think you need to educate yourself on African head-dresses. I dunno why they are calling them turbans (to me they look like hair scarfs/wraps etc). But head wraps are not ONLY a Sikh thing, other Asian cultures and African cultures wear plain to colorful and patterned head wraps.

GoddessNzuri
GoddessNzuri
Reply to  Mimi

I agree with your comment but to refer to them as Turbans is disrespectful as if this was just called a head wrap there wold be no issue 🙂

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  GoddessNzuri

Africans have been wrapping our heads for centuries. Unless you’re offended with the use of the word “turban” I do not see how you can classify this as appropriating Sikh culture. Some reaching has been done here. No shade. Just saying.

GoddessNzuri
GoddessNzuri
Reply to  Ms. Vee

I agree my entire point was that we just shouldn’t refer to them as Turbans, but good point!