10 Stunning Photos of Black Women from the Victorian Era

Avatar • Apr 11, 2015

21a

Amazing what wonders surface on the internet. Recently we came across these incredible images of women of color from the Victorian era (mainly from 1860 to 1901) on Downtown LA life. Not much is known about the gorgeous women pictured outside of the time period. However, that doesn’t stop us from appreciating them! Check out some of our favorite photos of the timeless beauties below:

Sunday’s Best

51a

Dress Game Proper

61a

The hat steez is amazing!

Stepping out in Sequins

aida2a

These two classy ladies have set the standard so high

blvic2a.jpg.w300h353

When the whole clique is on point!

negro41a

Before Lupita N’yongo, this darling captured our hearts

1900a

When your great great great great grandma takes better instagram photos than you

negro31a

Detailed down to the umbrella. Sky is the limit here.

negro22a

Have you encountered any under the radar historical photos of women of color?

Cosita
Cosita

I adore the hats these lovely ladies are wearing. I have lots of old family photos. My mom’s side of the family has always been into picture taking. I have pictures of five of my great great grandparents and of tons of other relatives. Some as children, teens, young adults.. Most of them they are dolled up but some are just every day pictures of them in work clothes. They owned their own farms and my great grandfather also had a butcher shop. I do have one photo I love of my great grandmother’s sister dressed as a flapper. I… Read more »

uh?
uh?

Neither did I..

Shak75

I noticed her too and I sure did just say to myself ‘I’m gonna try that hairstyle this week!’

Ms Parker
Ms Parker
Reply to  Shak75

Her name is Frances Parker Wilson. She is my grandmother. They are all sisters from Pearl River County, MS. 🙂

TaraLake
TaraLake
Reply to  Ms Parker

Ms. Parker, I’d be interested in chatting with you about this photograph for a project. Would it be possible to chat with you? Is there a social media handle I can reach you at? Thanks -
http://www.TaraLake.com, AfroSouthern (at) gmail (dot) com.

HisMercy
HisMercy

I think that Lupita looks a bit like that woman…that’s why (I think)

Ms Parker
Ms Parker

via
via
Reply to  Ms Parker

Wow! They’re ALL sisters? Did they have any brothers?

KeepitOneHunnid:)
KeepitOneHunnid:)
Reply to  Ms Parker

wow!!! cool tidbit!!!

Cosita
Cosita

Their clothing was better quality too. Part of the reason the mass produced stuff gets thrown away often is it’s not built to last. after so many washes it falls apart or shrinks or the color fades to crap. But I think that’s on purpose to keep us buying more often. I told myself unless it’s flip flops I’m not buying cheap shoes any more no matter how cute. The strap or heel or whatever always breaks within a few months if not sooner but when I buy from the department store my shoes last about two years. To me… Read more »

Akwele
Akwele

funny how she stands out. She looks rather mischivious.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

Neither did i

mralondon
mralondon

Stunning!! When I was in the states 14 years ago I came across a book which was a collection of AA children from the same era. I couldn’t resist buying it but i totally forgot that I had it until now. Going to have to dig it up.

Miatta Kangeecard
Miatta Kangeecard

Simply beautiful! When I look at those women not only do I see their external beauty but the beauty that comes from within. The strength and character to endure the hardships and injustices of their time and still stand tall. They both inspire and humble me. Thanks for this post!

KeepitOneHunnid:)
KeepitOneHunnid:)

this was beautiful!

trackback

[…] this year we shared 10 stunning photos of black women in the Victorian era, and now we have more stunning images to share! Many of these photos are the work of a photographer […]

Susan
Susan

These women and their clothing all show Class. Class is a quality lacking in so many people, regardless of color, religion or economic status. Here’s thought: could there be a link between lack of class and our cheap, disposable clothing?

via
via

Omg! The lady in the 7th pic ( in the group of ladies, 2nd from the left) has such a nice hair style. I might wear that to school sometime! I’ve been looking for new hairstyles.

Ms Parker
Ms Parker
Reply to  via

Her name is Frances Parker. She is my Grandmother. They are all sisters from Pearl River County, MS. She was a lovely lady inside and out.

anastasia
anastasia

Awesome post!

lis
lis

Love this! Blacks, no matter the era, are never drip and drab are they…and they always prosper…The Arthur Schomberg research in Black culture library?, part of the ny public library system, has amazing photos also..they are online.

marie
marie

i didnt get the lupita nyongo reference

Ivie9ja
Ivie9ja

Awesome pics. Serious detailing in the clothing. A time before mass production had us throwing out clothes every season.

Larisa
Larisa

Drop dead GORGEOUS!!!!! Thank you for these!!!