Some People Just Look Like Animals’: Raven-Symoné Defends Univision Host Who Compared Michelle Obama to an Ape

Avatar • Mar 18, 2015

Raven-Symone The View Univision Host Not Racist

Yes, yes ya’ll. Raven-Symoné has opened her mouth yet again to let us know exactly how she feels about race. The Empire guest star has been hosting the popular daytime talk show, The View alongside Whoopi Goldberg and Rosie Perez. This week, the ladies went to task on the Univision host, Rodner Figuroa who was fired after making the statement that First Lady, Michelle Obama “looks like she’s part of the cast of Planet of the Apes.”

He later claims the statement was made in reference to the make-up artist, Paolo Ballestoros, who transformed himself to look like the FLOTUS with the power of make-up.

Paolo-Ballesteros-Michelle-Obama

Out the gate, co-host Michelle Collins questioned the choice of the make-up artist to apply make-up that alters his image to be that of a black woman, by inquiring if it would be considered a form of blackface.

Raven immediately quickly defends the make-up artist’s choice as being just “a form of drag.”

(Whew. This is a whole other topic!)

Co-host Rosie Perez began to lament on the dynamics of race within the Latino community, stating:

A lot of Latin people recognize the fact that we do have African blood in us. A lot of them do not want to recognize that fact, and that’s where this stems from. There is a secret in the Latin community, specifically the Caribbean, South American, Central American, Latin community, that they are very racist.[…]They never want to be in the same group as black people and it’s sad. It’s very, very sad.”

After the topic arose, Symoné was quick to defend the Univision host with her newfound label-free consciousness, citing:

Was he saying it racist-like? Because he said that he voted for her later and I don’t think he was saying it racist.”

Not believing the hype, co-host Rosie Perez sarcastically retorted:

Oh please that’s like saying, ‘I’m not racist. I have black friends’.”

Then, leave it to Raven to later add:

Some people look like animals. Is that rude?[…]Can I be mad if somebody called me Toucan Sam?”

Oh girl.

Can we interest you in Race Relations 101? Heck, just watch Spike Lee’s Bamboozled, in between takes on set. This is getting out of hand. When it comes down to it, our FLOTUS, a black woman, was referred to as an “ape” which is by far, one of the oldest derogatory comparisons of black people.

While we queue up Black Is, Black Ain’t on DVD, feel free to watch the discussion in the video below (topic starts at 8:30)

What do you think of Raven’s view vs. Rosie’s view of the incident?

SheridaDaily

But, but… Raven… Girl. *rubs eyebrows*

Such a lost little girl , I have nothing more to add.

Brandy
Brandy
Reply to  SheridaDaily

How can Raven sit in the company of someone like Whoopi Goldberg who triumphed through racist Hollywood and learn nothing. She must live in la la land where nobody can speak unless they are kissing her hind parts and no one is allowed to tell her the truth. Sadness.

Ashley .O.
Ashley .O.

Oh That’s So Raven Lately 🙁

Chevanne
Reply to  Ashley .O.

Best me to it. 🙂

Reina Benoir
Reina Benoir

More of that New Black Nonsense.

Clearly this child’s tutor’s did a lousy job of teaching her history.

I’m done with her.

AdinaKay
AdinaKay

Can we just stop paying attention to this woman? She’s ignorant, and she’s the worst kind of ignorant: ignorant with a public platform which she can use to spread aforementioned ignorance.
The only way to combat it is to ignore her.

teppuM
teppuM
Reply to  AdinaKay

Plus she has the “insulation” of saying “I’m black, so what I say is okay.”

Gross.

Adía
Adía
Reply to  AdinaKay

Just like Stacey Dash. She tried to be relevant saying outrageous things but people for the most part have ignored her

ebaiden
ebaiden

Raven.… guuuurl… I hate saying this to you… but.….….. Gurl bYE!

del
del

Raven needs to sit down somewhere and take several seats. It just gets worse and worse with her. And whether or not Figuroa voted, he didn’t vote for Michelle Obama — he voted for her husband. If that’s even to be believed.

Not Hispanic, but friends with a few and yes, that racism within the community is real, just like Rosie said. Why else would Sammy Sosa try so hard to lighten his skin??

December86
December86

Raven do kinda look like “Toucan Sam” though.

jjac401
jjac401

Raven is a condescending jerk! I do think that some people look like animals but is it very disrespectful when is comes to speaking in reference to the FLOTUS. She has no filter when it comes to her mouth it seems. (No pun).

alt-K
alt-K

This young girl should just sit down somewhere and refuse interviews. Every time she opens her mouth, it’s more foolishness that only an inexperienced, YOUNG woman could speak. She’s no different than Jaden Smith.

teppuM
teppuM
Reply to  alt-K

Nope — don’t blame her stupidity on age. She’s 29. She’s not a child, she’s an adult who is responsible for her opinions. And frankly, she’s one year younger than me. There are probably a lot of posters here who are around her age, and you’re just assuming everyone under a certain age is dumb. Guiliana Rancic, who made the “patchouli and weed” comment is 40. Kelly Osborne, who stood up against her, is 30. Zendaya Coleman, who wrote a very well-thought, eloquent response, is 18 years old. I have heard plenty of foolishness from older women, too. So let’s not… Read more »

Rose
Rose

Raven is a fool.

Adía
Adía

Comparing a black woman to a bird is not offensive like comparing her to an ape. That should be obvious for everyone

Christopher Pierre-Louis
Christopher Pierre-Louis

Ah, the new generation of okey-dokes…

Milos Mom
Milos Mom

I don’t have an issue with the make-up artist as all. He did an entire series of women that he used makeup to recreate. No big deal. As for Raven, I don’t mind her playing devils advocate now and then, but she is turning into the young Stacey Dash… Always saying the wrong damn thing.

HisMercy
HisMercy
Reply to  Milos Mom

Just because Stacey Dash is conservative doesn’t mean she is “always saying the wrong damn thing”. People nowadays love to shut someone up who has different opinions than them, and it’s old and tired.

norris
norris
Reply to  HisMercy

HisMercy, no one is attacking Dash because of her conservative views…She has actually said some truly horrible and ignorant things; go look it up if you need to.

Alva
Alva

WOW! She is truly being ignorant on purpose! The whole reason it is inappropriate is because such degrading comments were meant to put down african americans in the past (and today) therein makes it a racist statement point blank.

Its sad to see someone who has nothing to say — a person previously disassociated herself with any kind of “label” or race stir things up in such a manner. Clearly, she just wants to say something and have her voice heard just because she has one.

Gabby
Gabby

That’s because she is cringeworthy! mixed up, devil-advocating bitch! I’d love to see how blasé she’d be if this were about something that touched her, like comparing a gay woman to something derogatory. Oh my, she’d be off on one!

Guest
Guest

Wasn’t she on OWN’s “Light Girls” takin’ bout how she used to tan her skin as a teenager?? Girl, bye!

teppuM
teppuM

Ugh. Raven can go away now.

Camille
Camille

Ugh. I hope this is just a phase. She needs to stop doing interviews!

Jamie Cole
Jamie Cole

This is ridiculous. She needs a wake up call.

Annie
Annie

Raven have a seat, but then again she’s a “light skin” lol. As cynical as I may sound, that’s the truth.

Nicole Archie
Nicole Archie
Reply to  Annie

Stop with the colorism in your own race

Annie
Annie
Reply to  Nicole Archie

Oh get over yourself, it’s true. Was I lying in that bit?

Nicole Archie
Nicole Archie
Reply to  Annie

How do you expect blacks to rise up if there is no unity? Yes we can acknowledge and tall about the colorism but dont contribute to it

Annie
Annie
Reply to  Nicole Archie

Rise up to what? This is why there is no unity. I said before that I’m not going to lie for the sake of being a “black sister”, and at the least you should respect that.

Stacie Stevens Markham
Stacie Stevens Markham
Reply to  Annie

Sort of like an uncle tom? Why is it ok for you to use derogatory language? Oh the hypocrisy.

Nicole Archie
Nicole Archie

She needs to reevaluate her life and have a vision. Don’t act like you don’t know that blacks were compared to apes based on our looks and the fact that we were considered less than human . First she don’t wanna associate with Africa and now this .Bill, Claire please talk some sense into Olivia

Nicole Archie
Nicole Archie

She was just on empire

Cosita
Cosita
Reply to  Nicole Archie

Ok.Good. I don’t watch Empire. I hope it is a recurring role. Most washed up tv actors do an occassional guest spot here and there. She should try broadway. She sings and dances.

fromanotherplanet
fromanotherplanet
Reply to  Nicole Archie

…for like 2 seconds

Edith Spencer
Edith Spencer

This…This is tiresome.
It is tiresome that black women continuously, CONTINUOUSLY, have to defend not only our looks , our well being and literally our right to exist, but also tiresome when we have to explain to other clueless fools WHY things are stupid.

Just bye.

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc

Oh, Olivia.….I never thought I would say this, but I am beginning to detest this child more and more everyday.

abbiethrills
abbiethrills

Jesus take all the wheels.

Brown Girl
Brown Girl

she dumb.…

Annie
Annie

For me? Just because “we’re black” doesn’t mean you’re any sister of mine.

Annie
Annie

*Complains over my comment, while is totally oblivious to the racism from Raven* Okay then,

FineNaturalHairandFaith

*Sigh
Here’s the thing…People can think and feel what they want. We can’t change that. She got fired for saying, not thinking. Respect is about knowing when to just shut up!
Keep your opinion to yourself when you KNOW it ll be offensive

Rowwdy Colt
Rowwdy Colt

Tell that to Mooch. She is beyond the pale offensive.

Rowwdy Colt
Rowwdy Colt

Since when is the truth offensive?

Mo
Mo

That is the thing with communication, it has two main components: the intent of the speaker and how the person who is being spoken to responds to it. As soon as words leave our mouths, we are responsible for both. So even if your intent was good, but it is received badly, you are still responsible for the negative emotions attached to your words because they are. your. words.

Roro
Roro

On that Giuliana Rancic incident, initially I thought it was more of a “hippie stereotype” as well but then people brought up the comment she made when Kylie Jenner had dreads (apparently Kylie’s were “cool and edgy”), that’s when most people started viewing her comment on Zendaya hair as stemming from racist intentions.

Jacky
Jacky

I’m sorry but I didn’t mention that she was light-skinned anywhere in my comment. I’m light-skinned myself so it would be pointless if I insult light-skinned people.

mlank64
mlank64

I can’t even try to defend this girl…she needs a history lesson

SophieBeans
SophieBeans

I don’t think the makeup counts as “blackface” because it wasn’t a caricature, it was actually a very well done likeness. As for Raven’s comments, though, she does not seem to get it! Does she really think that comparing a black woman to an ape is just an incidental comparison to an animal? My friends nicknamed me “squeaky” because I was quiet like a mouse and it was a term of endearment. If some man told me I looked like an ape I would not be pleased. Apes are seen as primitive, coarse, and while they are smart for animals… Read more »

CeeCee
CeeCee

Offensive, yes. Racist, nah.

elle
elle

Not sure if she is for real or just trying to be a comedian.…That’s So Raven indeed!

$7275329
$7275329

Un‑f******-believable. Hollywood does a number on minorities. Common said some dumb stuff too but this ish right here is beyond reasoning.
I’m done with this girl and I agree we should not give her any attention! I think she knows that’s the least she can get at this point.

Tasha
Tasha

Raven sure is outspoken these days.

Cosita
Cosita

Raven is just trying her best to stay relevant when in reality her 15 minutes are up. Her last acting gig was how long ago? These comments put her in the news and BGLH and others writing about her. She will be reality tv any day now maybe Dancing With the Stars You’ve never Heard Of.

jennifer
jennifer

our nation let alone our planet is doomed if this is the generation that’s gonna take over i pray we find a solution soon bye raven nice knowing bye

Jacky
Jacky

It’s important to think of how people will feel about what you say, before saying it. Raven clearly didn’t think this through. Neither did the Interviewer. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Raven in ‘That’s So Raven’ and I love the transformations done by the Interviewer but calling someone an ape or saying that they look like one is just plain wrong, especially with what apes are used to signify(Dirty, unintelligent, uncivilized and inferior creatures). I can imagine what would have happened if they had just let this slide, People would feel like they have the right to call black… Read more »

Stacie Stevens Markham
Stacie Stevens Markham
Reply to  Jacky

Everything you just said is true…but colored people with light skin also have feelings. So why is it ok to point out that she is “light skinned”? Is that not an insult? It is used in a derogatory manner, but that’s ok, right?

MJ
MJ

Stop saying these things Raven! Ya nasty! ?

Stacie Stevens Markham
Stacie Stevens Markham

Shouldn’t a racist statement be determined by the intent of the statement and not the statement itself? Like Guliana Rancic saying what’s her name looked like she should smell like weed and wear patchouli? I know for a fact she was referring to Bob Marley fanatic white folks with dreads because they all do wear dreads and smoke weed and wear patchouli. I know enough of them. I’ve never heard of a black person wearing patchouli, and there isn’t a mean bone in that woman’s body.