4 Places to Find Black Dolls with Natural Hair

Avatar • Feb 13, 2015

Black dolls with curly to kinky natural hair were virtually non-existent when I was growing up.  These days, they are still a challenge to find, but I’ve done some of the homework for you with this post.  Here are four places you can purchase a natural hair doll for your niece, daughter, yourself, or another special girl in your life.

1. Natural Girls United

Natural Girls United was started by blogger Karen Byrd a few years ago.  She “wanted to take on the project of customizing dolls hair, to have the look and feel of styles, and textures of ethnic women and girls, for a long time”.  The range of natural hair styles in her shop is expansive, including locs, kinky faux-twists, kinky braided updos, and afros.  You can even request a special style that is not already offered in the online store.

Natural Girls United by Karen Byrd

2. PoupeeMakedaa

PoupeeMakedaa is a France-based Etsy shop owned by Céline.  It offers unique afro-haired dolls in beautiful African print clothing.  Though some of you may squinch up your faces at the price tag, understand that her items are handmade with special attention to detail.

PoupeeMakedaa

3. LeenGreenBean

Aileen Robinson is owner of LeenGreenBean, another Etsy shop that sells black dolls with natural hair styles.  Her dolls are beautifully crocheted and not at all bland.  She also sells the crochet pattern in the event that you want to construct your own doll.

LeenGreenBean

4. Madame Alexander

Beatrice Alexander “founded the Madame Alexander Doll Company in New York City around her kitchen table in 1923. Her core belief then and for us still today is that dolls should be used to engage a child’s imagination.”  This online store offers two dolls, in particular, with natural-looking hair.  One is the Isaac Mizrahi Wild About Leopard Girl and the other is the Stars and Stripes Doll.

Madame Alexander

Do you know of any other places that sell dolls with natural hair?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Juanita Houston
Juanita Houston

I love the crochet dolls. I can see one of them on my desk for decoration.

Me
Me

The crochet dolls, and maybe the Poupee dolls would probably get my money. The other dolls are cute, but they look a little too much like white dolls that were recolored with different hair put on. I’m not much of a fan of the “Barbie” or “American Girl” aesthetic.

Kitty
Kitty

I’m a happy customer of this etsy store that sells adorable black dolls, along with custom dolls so u can design how ur doll will look and adorable paintings!

Mom_of_IV
Mom_of_IV

I am diggin’ the crochet dolls.….

Badu
Badu

Crochet dolls are gorgeous!

Badu
Badu

Just noticed that the crochet dolls are created by a white woman. I don’t think that’s a problem, but since this is such a niche market I would rather support black business.

Leen Green Bean
Leen Green Bean
Reply to  Badu

Hi, I’m the crocheter, and totally understand your viewpoint! I never set out to have this niche, I just keep getting requests mainly for black dolls. It grew all on it’s own and by word of mouth. I’m glad my dolls are so appreciated.

ehansom

These are expensive.
Natural haired dolls aren’t really that hard to find. They’ve revamped the Kenya dolls from back in the day and Mattel has been making Black Barbies with different textures for years now.

Victoria
Victoria

I like the last ones, but all of the options are so expensive.

icryclouds.blogspot.com

Brown Sugar Belle
Brown Sugar Belle
trackback

[…] Black dolls with natural hair already exist, but Jean-Charles explained that her line of dolls will go deeper than just painting a doll brown. […]

Ozi Okaro
Ozi Okaro

Please check out my new line of black dolls http://www.ikuzidolls.com

Tamiera Harris
Tamiera Harris

Babysparkles.biz also creates natural baby dolls and a american doll version. They are available on our site. This is a black owned business. We are also on facebook.com/babysparklesbiz

trackback

[…] there are some options out there of black dolls with natural hair but they aren’t common in mainstream culture and certainly were less prevalent when I was […]

trackback

[…] doc. check here too for black dolls (though they don’t seem to be dora types): 4 Places to Find Black Dolls with Natural Hair | Black Girl with Long Hair and these are more like barbie dolls but they’re made by a st. lucian model. i like that there are […]

Sixfootjames
Sixfootjames

My wife is from South Africa and has been making her own African American doll along with 3 other friends. http://shop.fairycaravan.co/product/fabric-dolls/lily-handmade-south-african-doll/

Cheryl L. Feaster
Cheryl L. Feaster
Reply to  Sixfootjames

I looked at the site and they are not African American dolls.

Guest
Guest

Ok, these dolls are absolutely gorgeous. Love them all!

Kristen