True Life: I’m a Type 4 Natural and I Don’t Use Shower Caps

Avatar • Sep 22, 2014

There was a time when I wouldn’t dare get in the shower without a plastic cap or bag covering my hair. Unless it was wash day, I tried my best to avoid getting my hair wet. However, I’ve recently found that covering my hair with a plastic cap during showers is no longer a priority. Nowadays, for the most part, I simply get in the shower with my hair in a loose ponytail or bun, or I cover it with a satin bonnet.

Natural hair loose bun

Why do I do this? Well, for a while I had to use 2 or 3 shower caps to cover my head because I could not find a shower cap big enough to cover all of my hair. When I finally found one that was big enough to cover my hair entirely, I found it a bit tedious to wear because of the thick, heavy plastic material it was made from. So, over time, I stopped using it. I thought about trying other shower caps, but I decided to go for a simpler option: no shower caps at all.

These days, when I’m not too worried about preserving the definition of my hairstyle, I simply get in the shower with my hair in a loose ponytail or bun. I have even taken showers with my hair completely loose. At other times, my hair will be ‘protected’ by my satin bonnet, especially if my hair is prepped for a braid out or twist out. You’re probably thinking, “doesn’t this ruin your hair do?” Not really. I have found that even if I have a braid out or twist out, getting in the shower without a shower cap does not affect my results.

Natural hair satin bonnet

Water is the best moisturizer for natural hair, so I believe that every time I get in the shower, my hair benefits from the steam by increasing moisture. It works even better when I immediately follow up with my usual hair moisturizer and sealant after my shower. So, no shower caps for me unless absolutely necessary (for instance, if I flat iron, etc.)

How do you protect your hair in the shower? Do you use shower caps or do you go without?

niksmit
niksmit

I haven’t owned a shower cap in years. I’m thinking about doing a straightened style for the first time in about 9 years, so thanks for the reminder that I’ll need this accessory!

luminous
luminous

I stopped wearing shower caps when I went natural. Taking a hot shower is like a daily steam treatment for my hair.

Knotty Natural
Reply to  luminous

I feel the same way!

Cryssi
Cryssi

Yeah, I haven’t showered with a shower cap in yearrrssss. I don’t see the point if I’m wearing a braid out or twist out I simply French braid my hair in 4 braids or flat twist in 4 twist.

Oy
Oy

Hmm, I stopped using shower caps to protect my hair from shower water when I went natural. And these days shower caps are used to DC my hair and moisturize my hair. It would never occur to me to try to “protect” my hair. Part of the reason I went natural was to feel free.

Are many naturals going to these lengths to prevent a style from getting wet?

Japanese Lunch Time Rush
Japanese Lunch Time Rush
Reply to  Oy

I dunno~ I imagine anyone trying to prevent shrinkage would try and keep their head as dry as possible for as long as possible.. (or at least until they’re ready to moisturize and stuff).
I tend to wear shower caps because my thin strands + massive shrinkage = detangling hell.. but I’m wondering if it’d be okay to just bun up my twists instead of covering them? Yeah, I even feel the need to protect my protective styles! XD It’s too much, isn’t it? @ @

(I wanna go showercap-less, too~!!) < =D

Andie
Andie

I honestly don’t remember the last time I used a shower cap either. If I’m trying to preserve a style, then I’ll just put on my satin scarf before I hop in the shower. I also like the benefits of the steam penetrating my strands, especially if I plan on prepooing that day…it makes detangling a breeze 🙂

Caray
Caray

Im 4a and I never use a plastic cap!

Barbara
Barbara

Sometimes I don’t wear one either. It really depends on how my hair is styled (i.e if my hair is going to be worn in a Fro there’s no need for me to wear a shower cap). There used to be a time I couldn’t imagine not wearing one either. Lol.

Mary
Mary

How do you all shower without getting your head/hair drenched?

Jack
Jack
Reply to  Mary

My shower head is angle that it just hits me from the neck down, plus I don’t stand directly under the water flow unless I’m washing my hair.

Jacky
Jacky
Reply to  Mary

Hi Mary, it’s pretty easy to shower or bathe without getting your hair wet. I like to put my hair in a high ponytail or bun before I shower. If I’ve twisted or braided up sections of my hair, I clip the sections together to keep my hair from getting wet. The only areas of my hair that get wet are my edges and my nape area which is great because they get extra moisture. I don’t use a satin scarf or a shower cap to protect my hair when I bathe or shower. This method works just fine for me.… Read more »

Mary
Mary
Reply to  Jacky

Haha, thanks for the serious answers to a not-so-serious question, you two. 🙂
But even then, the hair by my nape and forehead would still get wet. My nape is where the water falls, and I wash my face in the shower.

I think we should all just do what we want.

cherishbomb

I never undertood the point of shower caps for daily use. Even when I was relaxed, moisture would ultimately get to my hair. It happens even more with natural hair. If I’m trying to preserve a style I just tie my satin scarf around it. If it’s just that crucial, I *might* throw a plastic bag over that, but that’s rare.

Jazmin
Jazmin

I wear a shower cap on top of my satin scarf when my hair is in a flat twist out or cornrows, and also when the out style is 2–6 days old. After that, I usually shower without a shower cap and allow the steam to do its job.

Dananana
Dananana

I’ll wear a shower cap if I want my twistout to look fresh for something that day, but most of the time, my shower caps are for DCs/moisturizing. I just put my hair in 4–6 mini buns in the shower when i don’t want it wet.

Melissa
Melissa

I’ve used a showercap since the day I took my first shower but I’m thinking I should go free willy and let the water drops mist my hair. It’s good moisturizing anyway.

Steph
Steph

Since I went natural I don’t wear anything on my hair when I shower. I like lWhen I was relaxed and during my transition I wore only my scraf, and my hair never got wet.

Jo
Jo

The last time i’ve used a shower cap was a bit over 10 years ago when I wasn’t yet in high school. I don’t even open my umbrella until the rain is pouring hard. My hair needs all the moisture it can get.

Carlee
Carlee

I still use shower caps to deep condition my hair. Otherwise, I usually rinse my hair with at least water every day.

Saturnia Bailey
Saturnia Bailey

Possibly the most pointless article I’ve read on this site 🙁

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM

LOL, I know right. I know this site has great information, but this is just lame.

cnj
cnj

I didn’t know people with natural hair wore shower caps.

Tg
Tg

I thought it was just me. Yeah, I ditched shower caps, too because really water is our hair’s best friend. I will use a shower cap when my hair blown out, though.

Jessica
Jessica

I always wear a shower cap on non-wash days. I didn’t realize so many naturals went without one! How can I’ve down? Lol

Racine
Racine

If I heat style my natural hair and want the straightened results to last, I use a shower cap with a terrycloth lining. It wicks the moisture away before it can get near my hair. Other than those rare times, showercaps are for DCing and henna treatments. Lol

NapturallyKia
NapturallyKia

I wash my hair everyday so there’s that…

J
J

I don’t own a steamer, so showers allow me to have a mini “steam treatment” for my 4c hair. I usually shower at night, so when I get home from work I wrap sections of my hair into 8 large flexi rods (after moisturizing the ends) and hop in the shower. In the morning I unravel the flexi rods and style my hair, it’s wonderful.

Chanda
Chanda

I wear shower caps mostly for DCs not so much for showering therefore I still use them. Now if I have just straightened my hair, that shower cap is going on my head.

Darlyn
Darlyn

I don’t use shower caps either, I’ll just put a shower cap on my head.

Sana
Sana
Reply to  Darlyn

huh? Please explain.lol

MissNatural
MissNatural
Reply to  Darlyn

Huh? I’m not understanding.

sage

Agreed! I feel like the steam and mist from the shower gives my hair much needed moisture. I’ll usually follow up with jojoba oil to seal it in.

Elle
Elle

Never used one permed or natural.
The point of having a perm was so I could wet my hair and have it remain straight. The point of being natural was so I could wet my hair and keep it kinked/curled.

kitso
kitso

The hair, it is breathtaking, i just cannot stop staring. Love Love. I keep my head tied in a scarf when showering, my hair shrinks crazy and i need it long for my puff…

Saundra
Saundra

Who in the world uses shower caps anymore?? This is not 1995. I think most of us don’t use them and haven’t in a number of years.

Taylor
Taylor

Not to knock her advice, but I don’t think Tori is 4c. I’ve watched and enjoyed quite a few of her videos, most notably her Wash and Go video and her curl definition is definitely a bit looser/S shape (4a?). I consider my hair 4c and it is made up of small coils (much like the Blogger Chinwe). This of course is just a technicality, as the typing system is in itself unscientific and pretty flawed, but since the label “4c” was used in the title, I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Caroboules
Caroboules
Reply to  Taylor

I agree with you Taylor, from since her natural hair idol posting, I Never thought she was 4c though she has beautiful hair, no doubt. For me, mwedzi, naturally high, jouelzy, and tiajonay on Youtube, chinwe, etc. have my “4c” texture. You know we will probably get attacked for this…:)

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle
Reply to  Caroboules

But as your hair gets longer, it can begin to mimic a looser texture. I have 4b hair but I have noticed that the longer mine gets it begins to look like a 3c/4a.

Carlee
Carlee
Reply to  Taylor

I think she has 4c hair. Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0k47Es-xJA&list=UUSCsxgbKwfntrsNPFvIm26w

Her hair is clearly 4c because is has super tiny spiral curls, especially at 1min 5 sec into the video. I think a lot of women with 4c hair has less dense hair or shorter hair. The pattern looks different when it’s full. I also think her pattern looks different because it’s super moisturized and stretched every way we see it, even in that video. Dry 4c hair looks different than moisturized 4c hair.

Anon87
Anon87

When I spent God knows how long washing and styling my hair the day before, why am I now going soak it in the shower? So I can have wet, frizzy twists? I must be old, cause I still wear shower caps if my hair is styled and I don’t want it to get wet?! Same way I use an umbrella when it’s raining lol.

Robbi

I read this post today and just discovered the benefits of not using a shower cap last night. It was just enough moisture to set my hair before twisting in prep for a chunky next-day twistout. I think I’m going to continue doing this. Great post

robbi
braveturquoise.com

Divachyk // Relaxed Thairapy

I never use a shower cap because the moisture and steam gives my hair a little boost.

Zoopath
Zoopath

I use a showercap daily. My hair is a 4a‑c mixture with high density that loves to frizz up. I bought some extra large shower caps from heavenly crowns and they work just fine. I wash my hair weekly so only my ends need moisture in the interval and I prefer to use a hair milk for that.

Boyhead
Boyhead

I use a turbie twist towel…

Tonia
Tonia

I rarely use a shower cap, I like the steam moisturizing my hair.