How Hair Grease (Yes, Grease!) Can Help Retain Length in Natural Hair

Avatar • Aug 9, 2014

hair and grease

I’m sure many of you remember the days of being a young girl sitting between your mother’s or aunt’s legs to get your hair done. Dax, Blue Magic, Doo Gro, or another hair grease was on the scene to replace that dry look and feel with smoothness and shine. It was a necessity. When there was no more grease left, it felt like the world was coming to an end. Well, it felt that way for me, at least.

Then came the wave of hair care forums and blogs that seemed unanimous in their decision that “hair grease was bad” for our scalp and hair. If you want to grow your hair long, don’t use grease because it clogs your follicles. If you want moisturized hair, don’t use grease because it works against moisture. Petrolatum and lanolin (both major components in hair grease) became enemies to black women wanting healthy, growing hair. Butters like shea and mango as well as oils like jojoba, olive, and coconut became our new friends.

But is hair grease really our enemy? Or can it be used to our benefit. While many naturals continue to refrain from grease, some have found ways to re-incorporate it into their hair care regimen for retention of moisture and length. Let’s see how:

1. Seal the ends for increased moisture retention

Both lanolin and petrolatum (again, major components in hair grease) are able to lock in moisture very well. As a matter of fact, petrolatum is more occlusive than certain oils, including almond and avocado[1]. Meanwhile, lanolin is a natural, waxy substance secreted by the sebaceous glands of sheep in order to protect the skin and wool from the harsh environment – including dryness.

HOW TO: To get the benefits of hair grease for moisture retention, apply moisture (water) or a water-based moisturizer first, then your oils and/or creams, and then hair grease.

Africanexport has used hair grease in her hair care regimen for sealing:

2. Apply to edges and nape to stave off dryness

For some of us, water followed by an oil and/or a butter is a very, very temporary moisturizing solution for our edges and/or nape. After a few hours, those same edges/nape feel dry and crunchy as if they haven’t seen moisture for days. That is when hair grease – good at preventing moisture loss – makes another appearance in the hair care regimen. There is also the added benefit of hold and smoothing of the edges and nape.

HOW TO: To get the benefits of hair grease for staving off dryness, apply moisture (water) or a water-based moisturizer to your edges/nape first, then your oils and/or creams, and then hair grease.

3. Use as an anti-humidity agent to decrease shrinkage, and thus tangles/knots

Petrolatum creates a barrier upon application that prevents internal moisture from escaping while preventing external moisture from penetrating[1]. Because of this barrier, petrolatum-based hair grease can also act as an anti-humidity agent. Why is this important? Well, decreasing shrinkage (especially in coily or kinky high-shrinkage hair) can translate into fewer tangles and knots.

HOW TO: After washing and moisturizing your hair, apply hair grease prior to exposure to humidity. There is no need to repeat this process frequently. Doing so once (or twice) between washes should be sufficient.

4. Removal of long-term twists/braids and to detangle

Hair grease can provide much needed lubrication to ease the undoing of twists/braids as well as the detangling process. It can especially come in handy if you have meshing or a stubborn tangle. With the application of hair grease, a protective film is formed around the hair shaft and allows for a reduction in friction between strands.

HOW TO: Apply to ends prior to undoing long-term twists/braids and prior to detangling. Ideally, do both prior to washing.

5. Caveat: Use a good shampoo when washing

Use a good shampoo when washing to really remove the lanolin and petrolatum (i.e., product buildup). A shampoo that is too gentle may not be sufficient.

REFERENCE:
[1] Patzelt A, Lademann J, Richter H, Darvin ME, Schanzer S, Thiede G, Sterry W, Vergou T, Hauser M. “In vivo investigations on the penetration of various oils and their influence on the skin barrier.“ Skin Res Technol. 2012 Aug;18(3):364–9.

Do you incorporate hair grease into your regimen?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

LaNeshe

I don’t, but I’m sure they have their place. I just don’t like when really expensive products contain ingredients like petrolatum, because what are you paying for if they’re using the same ingredients as the cheap grease?

JenniD
JenniD

The topic of “should we use grease” pops up every few years in the online natural hair world every few years. People have such passionate stances on it too lol. I use it here and there but its not a must have for me as its well, greasy and feels a bit deafening sometimes on the hair. Meaning my hair seems coated even with a light amount. It is an awesome sealant for own hair protective styling ( twisted updos,buns etc). Its just ok for me. I think there are better feeling products out there that get the job done… Read more »

Darlyn
Darlyn

I tried using grease since I’ve been natural but my hair didn’t like it.

KinkKurlyPathDoc
KinkKurlyPathDoc

I use hair grease on my edges, nape, and ends because it’s one of the few products that can keep them moisturized for an extended period of time ( an extended period of time being beyond one to two days).

Mary
Mary

Any suggestions on shampoos that are not too gentle?

Britti Dub
Britti Dub
Reply to  Mary

Taliah Waajid Clean & Natural Herbal Wash is pretty good for product buildup. The ingredients are decent and you can find it anywhere as well.

Toni
Toni
Reply to  Mary

Clarifying shampoos are designed to strip everything. I use Suave clarifying shampoo and that strips any heavy oil/product build up that I have. I follow that with a good deep conditioning treatment to infuse my hair with moisture again. So find a clarifying shampoo and you should be fine!

Deb
Deb
Reply to  Toni

yes, i use that as my clarifying shampoo also, it’s awesome. Great for protein sensitive hair too.

Loc Starrr
Loc Starrr
Reply to  Mary

An occasional ACV rinse is good for removing buildup.

Maria V.
Maria V.

I never understood why these products got a bad rap. My 94 year old grandmother has used these products in her hair for eons and she’s had no problems!!!

I love having natural hair but can’t stand the hierarchical system that exits for products and how “NATURAL” they are.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! Doo Gro, Care Free Curl, and Blue Magic are good friends of mine and always will be. Boop!

O
O
Reply to  Maria V.

Because some people got the grease running down their face, neck and back leading to acne.

Deb
Deb
Reply to  Maria V.

It’s because of the info that was spreading around when the natural hair movement started getting popular. Living a more healthy lifestyle was also popular at that point in time.

Just because it worked for your grandma and you as a kid, doesn’t mean natural products couldn’t have worked even better for the same hair. Everyone who is willing should just try out different techniques and find out what works best. I know we can all agree with that.

justabee
justabee

my hair actually loves grease ._. but it might be how i use it, i wet my hair a bit (wet my hand and run it through my hair in medium twists) and then use grease and (what i consider to be sealing) seal in moisture, not even sure if this works, because i do use one other product, but other than water, that’s it. and i can tell you, my hair is bsl, in it’s fine twisted stretched form (not straightened, i do that like once or twice a year), but yea, just always used grease, maybe it’s just… Read more »

Kaila P
Kaila P

You could get a bomb twistout using hair grease or some good old vaseline though. No lie . And your hair will be super soft aftwerwards once you apply your moisturizing products before

silkynaps
silkynaps

When my sister and I were kids, my father’s family offered my mother all types of suggestions for how to care for our hair…one of which was grease. The one time she used grease (Royal Crown in the red container) on us, we went to school with glossy, shiny hair. However, we came home with all types of dust bunnies and lint in our hair.

Barbara
Barbara

I don’t use products with petrolatum because it literally causes my hair to break off. I never had any issues with using it in my scalp.

elsa
elsa

grease does not work for me :/

Shebababy126
Shebababy126

I think we should go back to those days…The 70’s and the Soul Train era when they had those big healthy fros.…they didn’t have all these fancy products.…they used Ultra Sheen… Blue Magic.…Royal Crown.…old school products which presented some of the healthiest afros.…we would do good to follow their regimen.

Chanda
Chanda
Reply to  Shebababy126

You beat me to it but I was thinking the same exact thing. Florida and Thelma Evans didn’t get those healthy ‘fros playing with coconut oil and shea butter. Black people in the 70’s had those big, round healthy ‘fros, too. So did whites. Then came those damn jheri curls smdh.

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon
Reply to  Chanda

I had one of those ‘fros…used to blot out the sun !!

straightnochaser
straightnochaser
Reply to  Shebababy126

Don’t forget the Hair Rep!’ LOL, I remember being a kid and my mom telling me to go and get her ‘caddy’ that held all the combs, brushes, barrettes, ribbons, and the Hair Rep in that tin can you had to open with a butter knife. Oh, the memories!

Miss T
Miss T
Reply to  Shebababy126

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I’m inclined to believe that those “un-natural” hair products of the 70’s that worked great on black hair back then are not what we have today, I think alot of hair products made for black women now have things in them that may not be so good for our hair.

Carlee
Carlee
Reply to  Miss T

Good point. Formulas change over time with many product lines. I’m curious as to what was actually in the royal crown and blue magic of the 70s.

waitwhat
waitwhat
Reply to  Shebababy126

and no breakage

cepfeng
cepfeng

I find that Shea Moistures African Black Soap is great for cleansing heavier products and doesnt have sulphates

M
M

When I was younger, my mother would apply hair grease after every wash once a week, and apply again during the week. My hair never grew past neck length. Since discovering natural hair care two years ago, my hair is now armpit length. I strictly use natural oils ( evoo, coconut oil, avocado, etc). I NEVER knew our hair( especially 4c) could grow so long and healthy until I stumbled onto youtubers such as sunshyne, naptural85, mynaturalsistas, africanexport,etc. Thank goodness these youtubers and others are so kind to share their knowledge.

Dez
Dez

Before the term shrinkage was invented, I used to put A LOT of grease on my natural hair. I would put grease on pressed hair and then wash it. Usually the curls would not shrink all the way back up. I don’t know how I discovered this but it was my early homemade invention to stop shrinkage. It worked. It worked so good that I would straighten out the curls too much on the top and the bottom would be very curly.

Chanda
Chanda

The only time I really use grease is when I’m getting a really good press. Hair is smooth as silk for week. I don’t totally hate it but I don’t think I could use grease on the regular.

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

I went back to grease last winter after not having used it since before I got my first curly perm in 1981. Before that I wore an afro for years & used Alberto VO5, Afro Sheen,Vitapointe, etc. & my afro was huge & healthy. Fast forward to last winter,with lots of snowstorms & super dry air. Qhemet Biologics, Shea Moisture, & my oils couldn’t deal with it & my hair got dry & brittle so I decided to start wearing my afro wig as a protective style & go back to old school. Off I went to the BSS &… Read more »

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl

I stopped using grease the moment I started doing my own hair. I never like the greasy feeling it left on my hands and especially on my hair. Days would go by and the dryness would increase yet it still felt greasy. Despite this, my hair was always shinny looking. Also, I find that it can definitely seal in moisture. It also seems to stretch my hair out like shea butter. But, I personally would not use it again because like most, my hair is prone to extreme dryness so I need nourishing products every couple of days, that my… Read more »

Cece
Cece
Reply to  Victoria Owl

When using grease my hair stays moisterised for at least 10 days, maybe it could go longer. But I wouldn’t go any longer without washing my hair.

Dor
Dor
Reply to  Victoria Owl

She never said just to use grease she said to put natural oils on your hair first and shampoo with natural products and your conditioners and then after you do your protective style apply grease to your hair after you’ve done your protective styles so that it doesn’t curl up as much and also the to lock in the moisture. Of course I think it depends on the type of hair you have if you don’t have kinky hair then you may not need to use hair grease my daughter has curly, wavy hair grease is probably not really good… Read more »

Joya
Joya

Yessssssss!!!!! I’ve been waiting for “naturals” to realize that hair grease is not BAD!! I’ve been using Blue Magic since I was a kid and I haven’t stopped once I went natural!!!!

zimzam
zimzam
Reply to  Joya

What about the link petroleum has with cancer? Isn’t it a by product from the oil industry? That concerns me primarily, despite my lifelong love of Dax.

zimzam
zimzam
Reply to  zimzam

Not that I use Dax anymore. I stay away from it now.

zimzam
zimzam
Reply to  zimzam

I keep coming back to this thread because, now I’ve discovered Ylang Ylang Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Pomade which works in a similar way to grease but is 100% natural and mineral oil free. It’s main ingredient is beeswax. Much healthier!

ivy
ivy
Reply to  zimzam

This is a myth. Vaseline is petrolatum, we use it on lips and bruised skin. It’s been on the market for over 100 yrs. If petrolatum was cancerous we would know by now and many products would not contain it. Try to do some research before blindly believing everything you hear.

Babygirl
Babygirl
Reply to  ivy

Well said. So many people jump on the bandwagon without researching first!

Stella
Stella

When it comes to beauty, clothing, and cosmetics, I choose to be cruelty-free. Most individuals tend to view lanolin extraction with rose-colored glasses, but it’s actually quite traumatic for the sheep, especially when it’s for a very large corporation, since they are killed whenever they no longer prove to be useful. It’s definitely something to keep in mind when choosing what you want in your beauty product, especially if you’re an animal lover.

Check this site out for more info-

Here’s some good news — Most products for naturalistas are cruelty free!

Thanks for reading!

zimzam
zimzam
Reply to  Stella

I agree with you. Keep hair vegan!

Folashade
Folashade

I am totally confused. Since starting my natural hair journey, I have stopped using grease for my hair especially for the scalp; and only using oil. It was the consensus that using grease in any form prevents the hair from growing. Which kind of hair grease is beneficial but without petrolatum and other harmful chemicals.

O
O
Reply to  Folashade

Do you know why you grease your scalp? If you don’t then you should find out why before doing it. If you know about Black history it will give you an idea. I stopped greasing my scalp when I went natural and have suffered no ill effects as I don’t live in those conditions.

In regards of using grease and other conditioners on your hair you should again find out why and where you should be concentrating products on.

Susie
Susie
Reply to  Folashade

Historically, the only reason to grease the scalp was to keep the fleas and lice at bay. This was a method incorporated by the slaves who lived in squalor. Nowadays, since we are not slaves, it is ok to abandon that practice. However, the ends of the hair still need protection. Most oils evaporate over time and leave the hair dry. Grease does not. Nor does mineral oil. A study was done proving mineral oil was better at retaining moisture than coconut oil or olive oil. Don’t take my word for it. Do your own research. I’ve used mineral oil with… Read more »

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon
Reply to  Susie

My hair was long & thick as a child & mom only used shampoo,water & grease…usually Sulphur 8..as well as mineral oil & olive oil.

coco
coco
Reply to  BlueCornMoon

I had really long hair as a child too. My grandma hot combed it and only used Pantene and a grease called Apex. she also did crazy home remedies like beer rinses and egg or mayo washes which I should probably go back to.

Leticia
Leticia

I’m a hairstylist and I would have to disagree with this bearth I know that alk that greace will not wash or easily so if will:coat the hair shaft and prevent moisture or conditioning products to be absorbed throughout the stand. Color will be uneven (if you color) and hair is never really clean. Clean hair shines and moves greasy hair collects dirt and looks like a cast on the hair. This is from my experience of 17 years. Coconut oil moisturizes without that greasy feeling and is water soluble and will wash out. Petroleum: please don’t sit in my… Read more »

Susie
Susie
Reply to  Leticia

, If you are truly a hair stylist, then you should know that NO oil, including coconut oil, “moisturizes” the hair. It’s a chemical as well as a physical impossibility. Only water can moisturize.

Natural Haven has done a wonderful job explaining this concept. Feel free to check out her site.

Cateza
Cateza
Reply to  Susie

Water present in the hair determines how moisturized the hair is. However, it can not stay in hair or skin on its own.
Oils slow the process of water escaping. Also, humectants help maintain and increase the amount of water present on hair strands.

Sharice Bee
Reply to  Susie

she hasn’t done her research clearly because coconut oil being used like hair grease used to back in the day is not good for your hair and many naturals are now coming forth saying how coconut oil damaged their hair. a lot of these oils do nothing for me when it comes to keeping moisture in, grease actually always has. maybe if naturals would stop setting rules on washing hair once every threemonths, they’d realize that using grease doesn’t clog follicles. But to each her own.

Babygirl
Babygirl
Reply to  Sharice Bee

I agree with Sharice Bee- I am black British of Caribbean decent I have natural hair and wash my hair twice weekly! My hair remains soft and is continuously growing. I only use petroleum Vaseline and water in my hair, and my hair is never greasy! Just because you have natural hair does not mean you have to wash it every month! I am fed up with society telling black women how they should manage their hair and being brain washed! Black hair needs water!

TS
TS

Meh. I’ll stick to my coconut oil.

African Naturalistas Hair Products

Grease causes me to break out in acne. I am very allergic to it, and it is not good for me at all. I’ll pass, thanks.

Deanna
Deanna

Acne doesn’t mean your allergic, it just means that you have oil blocking your pores.….

Revelry
Revelry

I’ll stick to my argan oil, but hey if grease is helping you go ahead. Every body’s different

Kinky&Happy
Kinky&Happy

I’m going to continue to stay away from these products. My hair was never the length it is today (waist length, FINALLY!) until I stopped using hair grease and other moisturizers that included mineral oil and petroleum in their ingredient list. Stick to what’s natural.

GuestyGuest
GuestyGuest

I use Taliah Waajid The Strengthener — works wonders for me!

Sandi
Sandi

I hate the smell of grease. Natural oils smell better, in my opinion.

Cateza
Cateza

I would have to say that you need to know HOW to make hair grease work for you.
I use it as a sealant on top of oil. It helps retain the moisture in my hair longer than with oil alone. It also helps me with de-tangling when I take my styles down. It also helps hold my styles in.

I’ve always known that it was a taboo to use, but if it works it works.

MrsWatson
MrsWatson

While I LOVE me some grease…it softens and keeps my hair stretched like no other…I had to minimize use of it because I don’t like using shampoo every week. The build up is real.

Jo
Jo

I believe these products are made from petroleum jelly.
Such a product clogs pores and is not eco-friendly (by product of oil refining). It’s toxicity is debatable.

Actually, usage of petroleum products would be a great article on BGLH. *hint-wink*

Stace
Stace

I think if you use it lightly and keep it off the scalp you should be fine. Everything in moderation. I think lanolin is really good at keeping in moisture.

Kay
Kay

Oils never seemed to work for me my hair always feels dry afterwards and I’ve tried every type.…a friend of mine who said her hair was not retain length tried using grease as well and it worked for her too…so I stuck to my grease and my hair has been growing just fine but I do agree it all depends on the persons hair

Shebababy126
Shebababy126

Lol…I agree chanda…straightforward and Ms t.…I guess it’s depends on what everyone’s preference is but I can’t help but look at those older shows and see those fros…I got one..does any one remember Stay Soft Fro??.lol…i pulled that out of the old school bag.

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon
Reply to  Shebababy126

Yup ! Kept my fro soft & full back in the 70s ! Got a big bottle now along with some S Curl & grease : Blue Magic, Dax, & Softee. Saved my hair last winter ! Sho nuff did !!

Paulette
Paulette

I will never use grease just because you said so.
sorry.

Aleshia Williams
Aleshia Williams

Well, if i dont grease my hair my hair will get brittle and extremely harsh. I love me some grease, but i only grease my hair with blue magic, castor oil grease and hair ferterlizer, I would have to say that i use it to seal in moisture. Oils dry to quickly for my 4c type hair, plus being in the military, ESPECIALLY DEPLOYED, in the hear as often i need something that will last. But a light greasing is different from a large amount people tend to put in their hair. thats why, once you learn the amount you… Read more »

Deb
Deb

I can’t deal with grease or silicones because the harsh cleansers I have to use (even non sulfates with just coco betaine) canceled out any moisture benefits. My hair is just happier using products that give it lots of moisture but that can be washed off with gentle cleaners. It’s just the best of both worlds. I still use a clarifying shampoo from time to time though.

Cami
Cami

I am a triathlete and I’m always in pools. Before I started using grease I noticed that my ends were always dry. For me the grease works really well because it doesn’t wash out easily once it gets wet from the pool. I’ve noticed a huge difference in the texture of my ends, amount of single stranded knots as well as growth since I’ve really started using grease. To each his own I guess?

Amber
Amber
Reply to  Cami

To each HER own, tee hee…

tee
tee

Grease works well on my hair. It gives this 4c a pop of shine, helps manage my styles, works for stretching and revitalizes a style that i was too pooped to plait the night before. Initially, I stopped using it as suggested and am not sure why i started to reuse (probably out of desperation due to a bad hair day) but I use it regularly now.

Jenna
Jenna

Personally I use grease because my hair can’t stand with water… I’ve tried to mix water+oil(whatever oil) and my hair broke off…This is the only product I can use to grow up my hair. I can wash my hair that’s ok but moisturize my hair with the shea butter, all these creams that contain water make my hair feel VERY dry and hard to comb.

Celia
Celia

I have to agree with many of you about reusing grease. I stoped using grease and was using natural oils that I bought at health food stores, along with Shea butter, however, I found that my hair was still dry, brittle and had lost of knots. I decided to go back to the old times remedy (grease) and I no longer have that problem. Now, I still use the oils and my Shea butter and just use a little bit of grease on my hair and the oils and shea butter closer to my scalp. Just use what works for you!

Rosalind
Rosalind

I just started back using grease and my hair LOVES it!My hair is very coarse and thick,so it is my belief that my hair needed something heavier.I have no shedding issues now. When I was using all of the natural oils,my hair looked dull and itched big time,now it’s back to life baby. I use sulfate shampoo because you need to use that when using grease.Now I deep condition every 2 weeks instead of every week because with a simple shampoo and conditioner then sealed with grease,I retain way more moisture.… I’m 36 and I remember my hair being long and… Read more »

naturalintellect92
naturalintellect92

I think the problem with grease is that people don’t know how to use it. Grease is supposed to be used mainly on the scalp and possibly on the ends of the hair. It is NOT supposed to be used directly on the hair. A lot of the “clogging” and “Dirtiness” people complain about comes from people using it as some type of conditioner or hair lotion instead of as a scalp moisturizer/ end protector. I found that my type 4 hair retains much more length and feels much more moisturized when I use grease on my scalp and use… Read more »

Cece
Cece

I disagree grease is for sealing the hair, you just have to know how much to use. It has to be used on wet/damp or moisterised hair to seal that moisture in. I would never purposely use grease on my scalp. Unless protecting it for a relaxer.

Mrs M
Mrs M

Yes I use grease for my ends to prevent split ends and also for braid removal…

JJ Outlaw

I just went back to using hair grease this past week and love it. It left my dry 4b-4c hair really soft and manageable. Plus the twist outs are amazing. I don’t know why I ignored my Mom’s mantra of “water and grease” for as long as I did.

Cardenie
Cardenie

I think this article has a point. If you want to keep moisture in locked in your hair you need to seal it. Coconut, olive or even castor oil don’t work for everyone. So I can see how traditional hair grease can work. If grease bothers some people, any product that is anti-humectant will do the same job too.

Stacy
Stacy

Hair grease makes my hair fall out for some reason. Not for me!

DownNLa
DownNLa
Reply to  Stacy

Stacy I have found you have to determine how to use it for your hair type and how to comb your hair once its in or else it can cause the hair to become heavy and you can get breakage. A little goes a long way for most..

Vanessa Osbourne
Vanessa Osbourne

I’ve never actually bought hair grease but I received a couple different ones in a couple of Curlkit boxes and they have actually been quite a revelation. This article has actually been very helpful in instructing me in how to use them effectively.

Marie E Lousteau
Marie E Lousteau

Good morning,
Thanks for all the information.
The question I have is about age and hair dye : is it possible to retain length, even if you dye your hair ?
Marie-Elsie (58)

Curlsense .

Yes, grease is where it’s at. I only use oils for hot oil treatments now, and the grease helps seal the moisture in. I have had fewer SSK’s and less shrinkage. I don’t know why I stopped using grease,

Doris Cooks
Doris Cooks
Reply to  Curlsense .

Me two

Lavender
Lavender

All I have to say is get Blue Magic’s Coconut Oil Conditioner grease. Doesn’t even feel like grease and it makes my Braidouts pop with shine. And it sways like how ur hair sways when you get it straightened!???? This is also thanks to AfticanExport’s Braidout video using these products. Get it, you won’t regret it.

Guest
Guest
Reply to  Lavender

Yep, love it and I use it on damp hair not on my scalp.I dont use much and use it mainly after shampooing.

UncurlyDIYBrazilianKeratin

Keratin does a far better job of retaining growth than hair grease. It creates a protective coating on the hair much like a topcoat on the nails and fills in porosity, super-conditions, and restores relaxer damage, often preventing the need for a big chop. Straighter, longer, smoother, shinier hair lasting 3–5 months for about $25 per treatment. Salon keratin, without the salon. UNCURLY.com

DownNLa
DownNLa

I went back to Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey about 6 months ago, best decision I’ve made toward my hair, helps me to get a longer hang time. I used to only get about 1 day then shrinkage would set in, now I get about 4 days of hang time. I use as they describe in the article, on wet or moist hair, I put my cream, then my grease (the hair honey) then my twist gel (I use ORS set it off curl booster) then I two strand twist. Once dry I put a little more CD Mimosa Hair… Read more »

Truprincess
Truprincess

I always wondered what all the fuss was about petroleum in products, because as a child my mum used ultrasheen in my hair and my hair was lucious and long past my shoulders and down my back. Mum said my hair loved it and it stopped me having dry scalp (dandruff). People always commented on how healthy and beautiful my hair was. A couple of years ago I was using Dr miracles conditioner which is an awesome grease, in terms of conditioning, moisture rentention and growth——shame about the smell though! Again my hair grew really fast. People even bought the… Read more »

BellaJae
BellaJae
Reply to  Truprincess

Yes I use blue magic and my hair is pass bra strap length. my hair is never dry. I stop using my grease for about 2 months wanted to try just using olive oil . My hair was not the same.. so I went back to it. I love it!

JazzWife
JazzWife

Grease is a no-no for me. I find that it makes my hair feel coated and gummy. For me, it also attracts dirt in a way that more natural oils and butters do not. And lastly, I just really prefer products that don’t leave my hair feeling greasy. I find that more natural oils and butters absorb far better in my hair.

trackback

[…] I found a post that proved my thoughts were correct. Grease DOES help with length retention. Grease and length retention. So I’ve decided for the rest of the year I’m going to use grease to seal in my hair […]

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon

My mom used to use Apex pressing oil on my hair. They still sell it in the white cans with the blue writing. She also used mayo & egg on my hair as well as the fearfully STANK Glover’s mange. Everyone used that stuff back then, but it kept scalp & hair healthy

trackback

[…] moisture was sealed into my hair. I did a little research and according to Blackgirllonghair.com hair grease can help retain length, although this product does not add any nutrients to your strands it does work well as an excellent […]

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon

I have fine 4ab hair but it’s high porosity.Try PinkOil Moisturizer and/or Blue magic Bergamot or Super Sure Gro. I had breakage & dryness in fall & winter & it helps A LOT. Don’t believe all the negative hype about petroleum & mineral oil,. they’re perfectly safe because they’re purified to cosmetic grade. Johnson’s baby oil is MINERAL OIL & VASELINE is used on babies,too. I grew up on grease & water & had braids down my back. Sometimes I think the anti grease movement is meant to steer us away from it & get us to use all these… Read more »

niga jael jal na ga
niga jael jal na ga
Reply to  BlueCornMoon

Thanks so much!

Lathan
Lathan

all u need is some, cantu leave in conditioner (orange top) ‚stop using shampoo, wash with cold water, and get u some murrys pomade and BAM! Life changing. Fyi- wash hair 2 or 3 times for a week b4 flat iron if u use pomade in ur head. U want to get it all out b4 u out heat in ur head. Also I never blow dry b4 I flat iron and I only use a silk press flat iron. I rarely flat iron as is. That oomade will stop frizz for trh rest of ur life. Flat iron in… Read more »

Guest
Guest

Hairdress aka grease is lighter than shea butter when used on hair. Shea butter is best used on the skin and yes I use Blue Magic coconut on my hair after washing and don’t have reapoly until next wash day.I shampoo frequently due to my lifestyle, works for me.

born2win
born2win

I now use hair grease (Blue Magic). I did the curly girl method for one year after my big chop. I just could not get my hair to look like I wanted it to plus I spent so much money trying to find the right product. I am 4a/b. As I learned more about my hair, I introduced silicones and use grease for sealing. I wear twist out. I am loving my hair. I get compliments on how healthy my hair looks. I only tried Blue Magic because my mother still uses it and loves it.

Pass The Deutschy
Pass The Deutschy
Reply to  born2win

So helpful thanks!!

Pass The Deutschy
Pass The Deutschy

Thank you for this!! You know I love this site anyway lol! I came to this article as I have some grease to use up and also was thinking it would be a great way to seal in moisture after my co-wash. I just did my first co-wash today with a “pre-poo” as someone said they oil up ANYTIME they put water on their hair and as my hair is so awfully dry ALL.THE.TIME I thought that was great advice. I thought that adding grease afterwards would help seal the moisture gained in the wash, I got my husband to… Read more »

Fedupwss
Fedupwss

There is nothing wrong with grease or mineral oil if used the right way. Mineral oil is my go to for Eczema and dry skin( make my skin feel like silk).I feel so perturbed by the natural hair commentators sometimes.They are kitchen beauticians who feel as though their way or the high way. The one thing they don’t take into consideration is the scientific reach that goes into a lot of hair products that have been used for eons. For someone with extremely dry hair and skin condition like eczema grease can be very beneficial to them . It actually… Read more »

A818
A818
Reply to  Fedupwss

I had the same experiences. I tried shea butter, it sat on my hair for days. Coconut oil also made my hair feel like straw. Meanwhile my hair never retained length.So, I went back to what I did when I first became natural again 30 years ago.….old fashioned grease. What a difference.

SecretVoice
SecretVoice

I was using oils as sealants but the only one that work was Shea Butter for a day or two,so I went back to using grease because it’s the best sealant.

MalikaiDragonSlayer
MalikaiDragonSlayer

I use the Kuza coconut oil grease sometimes. My hair likes and if I use it to seal in my conditioners it makes my braid outs and wash-and-gos look beautiful. It also helps that it smells nice too.

niga jael jal na ga
niga jael jal na ga

Honestly, as a student there was a time I was so poor the only hair grease I could afford was petroleum based jojoba oil and olive oil that I split for cooking purposes. Use to wash with sulphate free, condition, air dry, blow dry then straighten. Then daily, add on the oil and the grease to the ends. My hair in the matter of under a year went from chin length to near collarbone length. I am trying to keep my hair natural and it is consistently always dry, the only thing that I was satisfied with was the softness… Read more »

Rose
Rose

Yes to this! I tried to stop using bluemagic once when I heard it was bad for my hair. I tried to use olive oil and shea butter to seal my hair instead and it was horrible my hair got dry and brittle within a couple of days and I had to Remoisturize constently I went back almost immediately. My hair needs a thick sealant and oil just does not cut it.

Omgitsme323
Omgitsme323

When i was younger my mother only washed my hair once every 2 weeks (unless i went swimming, then she would that night) but she would only use pink hair lotion and blue magic hair grease. She’d grease my scalp put pink lotion in my hair and put a very tiny amount of grease all the my hair like the size quater for my whome head brush my hair out and braid it and put it in barretts. I have my school pictures from elementry school and when i was really young my hair was down past my shoulder blades.… Read more »

Carrie
Carrie

My daughter had the best growth when I was just using grease and water. Blue magic to be exact.

Batches Of Beauty

I just use cold pressed castor oil. Works the same way for me and I use it on my ends throughout the week if I have my hair in twists and use extra when I’m taking them down. Works great! Way less single strand knots

born2win
born2win

Black hair care products have so many fragrance/perfume and I have very sensitive eyes. I can’t use the ones everyone raves about. I also cannot use Olive Oil which I love but my eyes hate. I am a 4B with very coarse hair. Grape seed oil I can use but it ‘s to light for my hair. I am now using Creamy Vaseline as my hair moisture sealant. My hair stays moisturized and it’s Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. It goes on so smooth.

Clarra
Clarra

When we were children, we had long hair and it was moisturized with water, grease and my mom used Liv sometimes. It is only until recently where this simple process as a child became more complicated. I like my grease and don’t mind a good wash. I keep it simple like when I was a child and my hair grows like crazy. I am not mixed, I just keep it simple. That is all the Indians do. Everyone makes it so complicated with the oils to seal, and Deva Curl this or this product.…to speak to the product junkies. The… Read more »

Napb
Napb

i have 4c hair and it’s usually so dry. I tried using so much different types of oils and moisturizers to keep my hair hydrated but nothing worked for me. It would be soft for a while and go back to being super crunchy and hard and i also got a lot of split ends and had to keep trimming my hair. i’ve never seen my hair with so much split ends and dryness before. I stopped using grease because they say its not good for you and prevents hair from growing. When i was a child my mom used… Read more »